Canadian owned/managed firms in Chiang Mai area.

earlofwindermere

I know that this is a random question but I'm bringing a group of undergraduate business students from Canada to Chiang Mai in May. The students are very interested to meet up with expats (primarily Canadians) who are working in businesses in the area (not teaching gigs but more business-focused).

I know some of the firms like Aware and Doi Chaang Coffee but I'd love to hear of any newer firms that are owned/managed by Canadians.

Thanks!

Do you think that any Farlangs are going to be open about their business activities in Chiang Mai or anywhere else in Thailand for that matter? No chance.

I'm curious as to what you mean by that, especially bearing in mind that not only do you appear to be referring to all Farang business people, but you seem to be quite sure about your claim.

Personally, I would have no qualms about talking to people about my business, so your theory is wrong right there.

Do you think that any Farlangs are going to be open about their business activities in Chiang Mai or anywhere else in Thailand for that matter? No chance.

Perhaps you don't know that Canadians are probably the most polite and nicest "farlangs" anywhere. It's their culture.

If the OP wants to talk to a fellow Canadian he will know how to approach it. If there is such a person to talk to both will be most helpful to the other.

As an American, I have relatives with dual citizenship who live in Canada. It's always nice to visit as people are so nice to me.

If someone can simply help the OP with any relevant info he can take it from there.

Cheers.

The Wild Boar Restaurant on Loi Kroh is owned by Peter a Canadian, about 5 years now. All properly above board with NO hanky panky. This place does a fantastic business for its size and location. There should more like him. thumbsup.gif BTW I'm a Yank.biggrin.png

I'm curious as to what you mean by that, especially bearing in mind that not only do you appear to be referring to all Farang business people, but you seem to be quite sure about your claim.

Personally, I would have no qualms about talking to people about my business, so your theory is wrong right there.

What business are you in?

I'll take the initiative... none of your business....wink.png

I'll take the initiative... none of your business....wink.png

Not a very good answer.... your statement didn't qualify the type of business. You said no chance of any farang being open about their business activities, which implies that all farang business owners are somehow up to no good or at least have something to hide. Instead of responding to my question with another question, why not simply explain what you mean?

To answer your question , I'm in the hospitality business - pub/restaurant to be more precise.

Some of the lesson modules should prove quite interesting for these intrepid young Canucks.

• First Poutine stand in Chiang Mai! (Until "Casse-Croute Maeping” opened 6 weeks later across the street).
  • Backhand 101. How to deal with bent cops and public officials
  • Everyone’s favorite time of year “Music License Scammer Gang Season” and finally
  • Cultural Learnings for Make benefit of Canada-Thai relations , or “Why there are 4 old cars blocking my shop unmoved from 6:00 AM each morning"

Possibly he thinks that because there are pretty many cafes and bars that are farang owned but registered in the name of a Thai spouse because it's easier to do it that way. Owners of those operations might be reluctant to reveal the true ownership.

Thanks for those who provided suggestions. I forgot about Miguel's and was not familiar with Wild Board. Will check it out.

Thanks again.

Scott at O'Malley's in Anusarn market is Canadian.

Is that place ever busy ?

Archived