Don't want W10 update

Bredbury Blue

On my laptop I have the W10 update icon that keeps popping up and asking me to activate an update of my computer to W10. It's an old laptop which still works well on W7 and I don't want to mistakenly activate the update. Is it possible to get rid of the W10 update icon and/or confirm that I don't want to update?

Ps. On a client's desktop I was using for a few weeks I mistakenly activated the W10 update and yes it fully updated...oops.

I'd just upgrade the bloody thing but that's just me. I've had no bad experiences upgrading or using Win 10, and problems are on the whole quite rare (although those that experience them are naturally vociferous!).

Download the Gwx control panel.

GWX Control Panel is a free program that you can use to configure and exit the “Get Windows 10” system tray application which continually pops up on PCs still running Windows 7/8.

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/6756-.html

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/gwx_control_panel.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pcmDTDRGgA

I'm duel booting Win 7 & 10 (and several flavors of Linux on Virtualbox and VMware) and I like 7 myself.

Edited by Pakaty

whistling.gif Yes, I finally managed to get that annoying thing to give up and stop nagging me to download windows 10. it took me about 6 months, including changing my windows update download "status" to DO NOT send me further updates f rom Microsoft.

After at least 4 months of not accepting automatic updates from Microsoft, they apparently gave up.

Now I can select my own windows updates and ignore all those I do not want.

I run windows 8.1, single language version..

Edited by IMA_FARANG

I would use this to stop the automatic update and nag screens.

http://lifehacker.com/never10-prevents-windows-7-and-8-1-from-automatically-u-1767969681

This is simple and from one of the most respected sources Gibson Research

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm?NL=WIN-01&Issue=WIN-01_20160405_WIN-01_436&sfvc4enews=42&cl=article_2_3

Yes, Gibson is very respected for lots of free handy utilities. I never saw never10 thumbsup.gif

Edited by Pakaty

To uninstall it,

Press Windows key + X (for Windows 7 click Start, type: cmd then right click cmd and click Run as administrator)

Click Command Prompt (Admin)

At the command prompt, enter the following commands:

wusa /uninstall /kb:3035583

kb:3035583 is the update that adds the windows 10 update to your system tray. If you have automatic updates enabled, then unfortunately it will be reinstalled.

+1 for Win 10...at least on my two Lenovo laptops....one upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10 last year on 29 July (day one of Win 10 public release) pretty much with zero issues. The second laptop I did a clean install of Win 10 several month ago...zero issues. I consider Win 10 the best of Win 7 and Win 8.1.

I still have a 10 year old Toshiba laptop running Win 7 which is not compatible with Win 10 due to its ATI X1XXX video chip. I still have the Win 10 upgrade icon but it never nags me...it even tells me my computer is incompatible with Win 10 due to the old ATI video chip when I click on that Win 10 icon, but it never pops-up and nags me about upgrading. And of course some Win 10 upgrade files are on my drive in a folder but I have plenty of free storage. This laptop will go to its grave with Win 7 on it which will still be supported with critical/important updates under 14 Jan 2020....if I still have that laptop then I'll just put Linux Mint on it.

One of my HP printers will not work with W10 and a few Lenovo functions (like Power Manager that shows how much power I have left) disappeared and the solutions for such an event are only available for pre-10 OSs.

I regret switching early.

One of my HP printers will not work with W10 and a few Lenovo functions (like Power Manager that shows how much power I have left) disappeared and the solutions for such an event are only available for pre-10 OSs.

I also had a problem with an HP printer. Have you updated the printer drivers via the windows interface ?

Did you check the Lenovo support website for your particular model regarding the power manager? Since release of Win 10 mid last year Lenovo has come out with a lot of drivers/utilities for Win 10...in fact they came out a few weeks before the Win 10 release on 29 Jul 15 and have been updated since also. I have two Lenovo laptops and they have bunches of Win 10 drivers/utilities on the Lenovo support website. Be sure to look up your particular model on the website.

I have resisted installing W10 because it won't work with my Dragon Naturally Speaking 11.5, which I use a lot, AND because I like W7 and am used to it now.

Having said that, what benefits does W10 have over W7 when mainly used for emails, online newspapers and the like?

You can easily get the driver from Lenovo. I had a similar problem with an older DELL notebook where I couldn't get the right Bluetooth driver.

I finally found a Lenovo driver that works well.

I would not count on being able to obtain from Lenovo - they have provided no W10 support updates for my Ideacenter B310 at all.

That's a fairly old computer...5 to 6 years I'm guessing from its first release in 2010 or so...even before Win 8 was released. But yea, other than a few Win 10 utility programs the Lenovo website only provides XP and Win 7 drivers for this model. Kinda like my 10 year old Toshiba laptop which only provided drivers through Vista...no Win 7 or up drivers although Win 7 works fine on the Toshiba.

Now one thing I've noticed about the Lenovo support/drivers website it does have some glitches in identifying drivers for a certain operating systems (ie., Win 7, Win 8, Win 10) for certain models in that their pull down menu where you can selected a specific OS such as Win 10 if desired does not always offer a specific OS selection. Although when you have it set just to show "all" drivers regardless of specific OS ( just select the "Pick an OS" selection to show all drivers regardless of OS) you will see Win 10 drivers clearly listed in the description/name of the driver.

My Lenovo 305IBD laptop (released about a year ago) is like that...sometimes it will have a specific Win 10 selection were I can zero in on only Win 10 drivers...other times the Win 10 selection option is not available (only offers Win 7 or Win 8) but when viewing all drivers you can see Win 10 drivers listed and download them if needed. Seems to be an intermittent issue with the website for certain models. Now my other Lenovo Z510 which is over 2 years old has never had this problem on the Lenovo website.

I would not count on being able to obtain from Lenovo - they have provided no W10 support updates for my Ideacenter B310 at all.

That's a fairly old computer...5 to 6 years I'm guessing from its first release in 2010 or so...even before Win 8 was released. But yea, other than a few Win 10 utility programs the Lenovo website only provides XP and Win 7 drivers for this model. Kinda like my 10 year old Toshiba laptop which only provided drivers through Vista...no Win 7 or up drivers although Win 7 works fine on the Toshiba.

Now one thing I've noticed about the Lenovo support/drivers website it does have some glitches in identifying drivers for a certain operating systems (ie., Win 7, Win 8, Win 10) for certain models in that their pull down menu where you can selected a specific OS such as Win 10 if desired does not always offer a specific OS selection. Although when you have it set just to show "all" drivers regardless of specific OS ( just select the "Pick an OS" selection to show all drivers regardless of OS) you will see Win 10 drivers clearly listed in the description/name of the driver.

My Lenovo 305IBD laptop (released about a year ago) is like that...sometimes it will have a specific Win 10 selection were I can zero in on only Win 10 drivers...other times the Win 10 selection option is not available (only offers Win 7 or Win 8) but when viewing all drivers you can see Win 10 drivers listed and download them if needed. Seems to be an intermittent issue with the website for certain models. Now my other Lenovo Z510 which is over 2 years old has never had this problem on the Lenovo website.

What about Driver Booster? It seems to do a decent job.

post-158336-0-96586300-1459931077_thumb.

Yes it is 5 years old but still works well (although did have to replace HD). But Win 10 kept wanting to upgrade but when tried could not but unclear why. I attached a USB keyboard and a few months later it wanted to try again and made it that time. Have since gone back to bluetooth keyboard and it is working fine but Windows does not think it is connected to any bluetooth device. Add to the mix it also has a touchscreen and can kind of understand it being confused.

Thanks Pib - that's probably the solution, as I certainly would have gone far enough to have checked on the Lenovo web-site for support and drawn a blank. At one point, either on the HP printer point I recall now having posted on the Lenovo forum asking for confirmation that Lenovo really did not have a support for W10 on the issue or a workaround. The post remained unanswered for a couple of weeks and I got bored with looking. {Edit: ah now i remember; it was the Power Manager disappearance point and I stopped looking cos I assumed it was probably some virus issue with my computer - surely the Lenovo community would be up in arms if it were a generic issue with W10}

The fact we have to go through this kind of $hit is proof enough that there is no point in updating away from an OS you like until you really have to. I lambast Microsoft for proseltysing that we should do so. The fact that they have a close-to monopoly is the only reason they get away with updating so often. Imagine if you transposed this to the sellers of motor vehicles - today we have a new way that you interface with your car. Result - no more sales of new vehicles for that manufacturer.

I omitted to mention all the other little learning points you have to pick up with a new OS - stupid stuff like "were the hell is control panel now?" "why can't I get immediately to the printer panel that allows me to cancel a print job"? It's just mildly irritating but still when compounded makes my original conclusion right for me. Being told by the experts - "ah there's a workaround for that", or "you need to do this then this" (with the added imlpcation that you are a bozotongue.png - not accusing anyone here on this particular issue) is not the point.

Maybe good for those who develop websites and are media-content rich but for the average internet/e-mails/facebook Joe - and for me who adds a lot of Microsoft Office use to that - I can't see the user's point in Win 10. Usually within 6 months I conclude that the new OS was in fact worthwhile and had some attractive features. No way with Win 10! And I am not a Mr Grumpy or a PC luddite, promise!

Edited by SantiSuk

I hear you. In all my OS upgrades like from XP to Vista, Vista to Win 7, started off with Win 8.1 as a clean install, and upgrade Win 8.1 to Win 10 is experienced issues/problems. And a lot of those issues were purely with some 3d party piece of software/driver for a piece of hardware not being updated and that 3d party having no intention of providing an update for whatever reason...usually the reason is the item is 3 or more years old and they want you to just go out and buy a new one of their items because that's how they make money---sales of their stuff. Just updating a driver so some older item will work with the new OS doesn't make any money for them.

A lot of issues with upgrades to new OSs is usually minor stuff/easy fixes, but unless a person has a little bit of geek in them those minor issues can seem like major huddles to overcome. Upgrading from XP to Vista was a nightmare for me (like many people since a "lot" of hardware vendors had not written Vista drivers upon its release due to Microsoft dropping the ball in keeping vendors fully informed on Vista), Vista to Win 7 went pretty easy, going to Win 8.1 was piece of cake since I did a clean install and avoided Win 8.0 all together, and going from Win 8.1 to Win 10 was pretty easy. But each person will have his own stories on how their upgrades went. Cheers.