Travelling During Songkran.

NoshowJones

How easy would it be to get a bus during Songkran?

I am planning to get a bus from Mochit bus station to Nakhon Sawan on the second day of Songkran, That will be Wed 13th or Thu 14th.

Will I have a lot of difficulty, or should I just forget it?

Edited by possum1931

I have no experience with bus travel, esp. not at this time.

What I use for comparision: look at flight bookings/prices.

Bangkok (Suvarnabhumi) - Khon Kaen, one way

Availability:

12th, 1 flight, 3080 - 3680
13th, 4 flights, 2380 - 3680
14th, 5 flights, 1680 - 3280
15th, 5 flights, 1280 - 3280

Statistically chances on 14th are not that bad, 15th even better.

Not many Thais want to miss one of the valuable holiday on the bus/travelling.

Super mess days are 12th (absolute nogoi!) and also the weekend 9th and 10th (not affecting you).

Those who can afford take two extra holidays and will do a whole week as our granddaughter arriving 10th.

Estimated travel time on the road for 350 km: 12h blink.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

I have no particular knowledge of the Morchit - Nakhon Sawan route. But, if you want a blind guess from someone who has lived in Thailand for a long time, I would say that you are already too late. My earlier advice still stands.

If at all possible, go to Morchit ASAP and buy your ticket in advance.

Good idea, but I don't arrive in Bangkok until Sun 10th, maybe that will be too late.

Can't you make a NCA reservation where you're right now????

Here's what you need: http://www.nakhonchaiair.com/ncabooking/index.php

Edited by lostinisaan

You will be hard pressed to find a bus on that day.

I arrived once and wished to go to Lom Sak Phetchabun.

Needless to say I couldn't get a bus for love nor money,I took a taxi.

If your budget allows just get a taxi,this may still take much longer than normal but will be far easier.

Good idea, but I don't arrive in Bangkok until Sun 10th, maybe that will be too late.

I did not find N.S.

But the site is another good indicator.

I tried Bangkok to Chiang Mai.

April 8, 9,10,11,12,13: FULLY BOOKED.

April 14: first day with free seats on all six departures.

April 15: plenty of seats.

Plenty of seats thereafter in this direction.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Yes ,,, Stay home.. I once upon a time (20+ years ago) decided in my wisdom to travel to Nakhon Ratchasima for Songkran,

Left at 4am,,,,, 14 hours later finally arrived. TOOOOOO stressful

If a poster here asks to travel on Songkran he must have an urgent reason tongue.png

I do not even travel further than to our district town (16 km) after tomorrow.

Tomorrow filling up some stock and then avoid long distance driving.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I did not find N.S.

That's a great help, thanks.

You remind me of my Ex, always looked on the "Negative" side of life. why not say..."Am arriving in Bangkok on the 10th so I should have a great chance of booking a seat in advance". Nothing personal, just the reactions of a very positive person. I firmly believe that we create our own future by what we focus on, by the thoughts we put out there..

I remember when I bought my first condo in Pattaya, I couldn't wait to share the news with a close friend at the time, thinking he would be very happy for me and full of support. When I told him....he said....Wow, do you not think buying a condo in Pattaya is very risky at this time, there's a shortage of water now in Thailand (this was about 13 years ago) and it's lightly the price of property in Pattaya could crash as a result.

Need I tell you....he's no longer a friend of mine.....I can easily do without people like that in my life.

well my advise DONT ...songram is only about 4-6 days...travel before or after....sure it can be done as the whole country travels at that time (all in ur choosen form of transport ) which reflects on prices and quality ( the sardine box experience - if u get a place or stuck in the middle of nowhere ) .... ALL of the thais are off their head at this week...drunken driving is not the expection..especially BKK ( where I had the questionable joy in 2013 to be at songram and with the need to move tio get things done....my conclusio : NEVER AGAIN ....)

is great if u run around in a short and your camera wrapped in a plastic bag ready for a 6 days long shower / party / happy happy experience.....

if not just dont be in TH at this time of the year .... if in asia go spore malaysia etc...but NOT TH....or deep up country with nobody near u....

OK - I will be the profit of doom on this one.

I did the trip from Pattaya to Yasothon in a Pick Up truck. I lost count of the number of near misses I had. Only extreme defensive driving and constant attention kept me alive. I was totally exhausted when I finished the trip and it took 12 hours and 4 stops to try and stay fresh on route.

The number of accidents, shunts and full blown carnage on the route was beyond belief. North and South of Korat the road was like something out of the Tour De France with amount of paint on the road marking collisions. Some had strings of up to 6 vehicles marked out.

The worst by far are the minibus drivers. They are homocidal maniacs. Nothing less.

The other madness is the overloaded Pick Ups with teens of passengers inside and in the open back. 17 people died in one truck avoiding an oncoming bus near Roi Et when it plunged into a river.

This is a small part of the madness that I witnessed. I truly hope the trip goes OK. But as already mentioned by others. Once bitten twice shy on this one. Never again will I venture forth at this time of year in the whacky races for real nut house.

My prophecy for the road deaths this year...like other years in excess of 300 and maybe a little less than 400.....injured figures - multiply deaths by a factor of 10.....same same as always.

Remember Thailand does not count a road death if it happens later in the hospital...that is like saying a person is not murdered if they die in the hospital after being shot or stabbed by someone...

I firmly believe that we create our own future by what we focus on, by the thoughts we put out there..

I remember when I bought my first condo in Pattaya, I couldn't wait to share the news with a close friend at the time, thinking he would be very happy for me and full of support. When I told him....he said....Wow, do you not think buying a condo in Pattaya is very risky at this time, there's a shortage of water now in Thailand (this was about 13 years ago) and it's lightly the price of property in Pattaya could crash as a result.

Need I tell you....he's no longer a friend of mine.....I can easily do without people like that in my life.

Yes. biggrin.png

I remember Donald Sutherland's character in "Kelly's Heroes". "Look at what your negative waves have done to my beautiful bridge, man!"

Most people are hardwired to be deeply exploitative. Humans know that when someone asks for advice as to whether they should do something they've really already decided to do it, and what they're looking for is happy-clappy "support". People hate you if you act as a true friend and tell them what you really think, and most people don't have true friends, so they receive lots of "support" when they're doing something unwise.

Twenty years ago a mate of mine put over £100,000 into a restaurant in North Lanarkshire. When he told people his plans everybody else was very "supportive". They asked what kind of food they would serve, whether they could come to the first night, and so on. I was the only one who pointed out the failure rate for restaurants.

Needless to say he lost all his money.

For anyone who wants to go beyond fortune cookie philosophy Kahneman's "Thinking Fast, and slow" is the key work.

No amount of positive thinking will produce a bus or a clear road if reason suggests an absence of buses and gridlock.

My experience was 4 years a go y wanted travel from Pattaya to Phayao on April 10 tryed book 3 weeks in advance the guy on the Counter just laught...at least y received a Ticket for April 15...and this 3 weeks in advance!

So y think better Forget it...gigglem.gifcoffee1.gif

I did not find N.S.

Anytime I have traveled to Nakhon Sawan the bus only dropped off there and went on to Chiang mai.

as far as I know the only direct route is the mini vans they also pick up and drop off at the Nakhon sawan bus terminal