Catching suspects with their pants down

geovalin

In Cambodia, images of recently arrested accused sans clothing are relatively common, and some may say it’s nothing more than what they deserve. But whether it’s a deliberate tactic or a way to prevent self-harm, there’s an argument that stripping suspects is actually a breach of their human rights.

When Samnang* was arrested with a friend in September 2012 in Kampong Thom province’s Sandan district – they had been accused of stealing a moto and then getting into a brawl at a party – the then 20-year-old’s shirt was missing. It had been ripped off in the midst of the fight.

Then when they arrived at the district police station, the authorities had Samnang and his friend strip down even further. “They told me to take off my trousers,” he recalled. “And then they took a photo.”

Within hours, the photo of Samnang and his friend in their underwear handcuffed together holding the knife and belt supposedly used in the brawl was all over local and English language media.

But Samnang didn’t see it until later.

For the next three days, he was detained at the local police station in nothing but his underwear. It was only after he was transferred to the provincial station, and after another set of photos were taken, that he was he provided a fresh change of clothes.

handcuff.jpg?itok=D-HsS8cz
Samnang (right) and a friend’s arrest photo. Photo supplied

“I still feel ashamed,” Samnang said this week.

Photos of alleged criminals in various states of undress routinely appear in local newspapers, on television and on social media in Cambodia – as well as on the official police-run Facebook page Cambodia National Police News. While the police offer varying rationales for the practice, NGOs claim it is a violation of human rights.

In one arrest photograph, taken on March 23 this year in Preah Vihear province, a 30-year-old fisherman with downcast eyes was pictured shirtless and handcuffed with the Honda Dream he allegedly had stolen.

Days earlier, in Kampong Thom, local authorities charged six people with fraud. In the arrest photo, the group is lined up against a wall – hands crossed, eyes down. Most are pictured in just their underwear, with the only suspect to retain a shirt the lone woman.

LONG AND INTERESTING ANALYSIS

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-weekend/catching-suspects-their-pants-down

Is it normal to handcuff two people together using the same arm, i.e. in this case the cuff is on both person's right wrist? It seems unnecessarily awkward should they be asked to walk.

Actually I think photographing people like this should be encouraged. It reveals all tattoos and marks that might spark a memory in the mind of a victim of crime in the past. Just hope that there is an outbreak of really sexy women criminals in the near future !

Always a good idea when you arrest two youths for brawling. First hand cuff them together and then give them the weapons they were using in the brawl. Stripping them down to their underwear isn't much of a deterrent or even embarrassment. Maybe some iced water on their genitals before stripping them naked and photographing their diminished manhoods would be more productive.

Is it normal to handcuff two people together using the same arm, i.e. in this case the cuff is on both person's right wrist? It seems unonecessarily awkward should they be asked to walk.

But very difficult for them to run. If cuffed right to left the could run much easier.

Is it normal to handcuff two people together using the same arm, i.e. in this case the cuff is on both person's right wrist? It seems unnecessarily awkward should they be asked to walk.

Likely quite awkward too if they decide to run.