Has my wife been cheated?

rutteketuut

My wife's the same. Someone will rip her off. She knows it, they know it but she won't say anything until she comes out. Happens all the time in restaurants. I naturally add the bill when ordering. Have an idea within 50 baht of what it should be. I always call them on it. I don't care if it's 20 baht and it's not about the money. My wife told me once if someone sees her with a farang, and they charge "farang" prices, she is nearly seen as a traitor if she says anything. But I don't stand for it anymore.

In any case, ur situation doesn't come close to me having a 30 min consultation with a vet for a skin irritation and getting presented with a bill of 1800 baht.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife's the same. Someone will rip her off. She knows it, they know it but she won't say anything until she comes out. Happens all the time in restaurants. I naturally add the bill when ordering. Have an idea within 50 baht of what it should be. I always call them on it. I don't care if it's 20 baht and it's not about the money. My wife told me once if someone sees her with a farang, and they charge "farang" prices, she is nearly seen as a traitor if she says anything. But I don't stand for it anymore.

In any case, ur situation doesn't come close to me having a 30 min consultation with a vet for a skin irritation and getting presented with a bill of 1800 baht.

Why did you consult a 'vet' about a skin irritation ?

Are you attempting to be deliberately disparaging and obnoxious ?

If it was a 'vet' that was consulted the bill should have been much higher.

Why did you consult a 'vet' about a skin irritation ?

Are you attempting to be deliberately disparaging and obnoxious ?

If it was a 'vet' that was consulted the bill should have been much higher.

A skin irritation for my dog. What did u think? For me?

You have anything intelligent or positive to say or just trolling through adding obnoxious and disparaging comments?

Local Clinics are "private" and therefore chargeable, The 30 baht scheme is for local Government Hospital, where here ID card would have been asked for and that would have been the end of it.

People often use the local "clinic" which is actually a nurse practitioner, as opposed to travelling to the hospital and probably waiting several hours to be seen and treated

.The 30 baht scheme is for "sick" people....not someone injured in an "accident" . get diabetes and your covered....have a motorbike accident...you are not. Big big difference.

Great help. She cannot drive a motorcycle. She had to show her ID card. She paid for it not me. She has her own shop, makes small profit!

I think that people are being amazingly insensitive here. The money may mean nothing to foreigners with a good income, but the fact that the writer started this thread means that this amount means a lot to him or to his wife, and that's what matters. So, please withhold your condemnations and name-calling e.g. Scrooge, and offer a reply.

If this had happened to my wife, I'd have thought that the amount was all right for a clinic. I don't think a foreigner charge has been included. Those pills are not as cheap as they used to be.

Just to go off topic a touch, I don't think a lot of posters understand the realities of Thai life. My mum in law has to travel a 1100km round trip to Bangkok to see her doctor......never mind the 30 baht charge. How many posters travel for Edinburgh to London to see their doctor?

Local Clinics are "private" and therefore chargeable, The 30 baht scheme is for local Government Hospital, where here ID card would have been asked for and that would have been the end of it.

People often use the local "clinic" which is actually a nurse practitioner, as opposed to travelling to the hospital and probably waiting several hours to be seen and treated

.The 30 baht scheme is for "sick" people....not someone injured in an "accident" . get diabetes and your covered....have a motorbike accident...you are not. Big big difference.
just had that discussion with my missus. I was unaware this was the case. By accident I assume you mean vehicle accident. What if you fall over in the toilet, trip on the sidewalk?

You're seriously complaining about paying 5 U.S. dollars for medical treatment?

No he's complaining about 160 baht, the local currency here n Thailand

i be straight back in there telling them how in the uk treatment free on the NHS 160 bhat thats your beer money gone

You're seriously complaining about paying 5 U.S. dollars for medical treatment?

No he's complaining about 160 baht, the local currency here n Thailand

i be straight back in there telling them how in the uk treatment free on the NHS 160 bhat thats your beer money gone
Your right and if you follow that line of thought, it's like a Farang going to an NHS hospital, doing whatever is normal and his foreign wife posting on a foreign based website asking other foreigners if the NHS is right or not &/or seeking confirmation about the inner-workings of the NHS costs.

Seems odd to me?

Local clinics are not into the TH30 program, only local hospitals. She paid a normal price for its treatment.

Some local clinics are in the TH30 program, my local one is, and they charged me the same 30baht price for a wound dressing as all the other patents. So it varies.
Government Health Centers are in the 30 baht system. Private clinics are not. OP has not clarified what this place was.

Although the OP does sound petty, I know for a fact there are some government clinics that will try it on when Farlangs are involved.

3 years ago I came down with a bad cold that lingered on. My girlfriend kept nagging me to see a doctor and she recommended me to a doctor. I visited the doctor who runs a small government owned clinic 12 kilometers from where I live. Saw the doctor for literally 3 minutes if that. Outside was given a small packet of 10 antibiotic tablets and a few paracetamol, then asked by the receptionist for 400 baht, no receipt offered. I began querying the amount and then the doctor came out that turned into a blazing argument. When I insisted on a receipt the doctor refused so I refused to pay. I pointed to the poor Thai people in the waiting area and said, there is no way they would pay 400 baht for this. From experience of visiting a local government hospital for similar before, I knew the cost should have been between 80 to 100 baht and no more.

I gave back the pills then the doctor asked for 200 baht doctors fee and he gave me a receipt, although still knew I was being ripped off. His last words were; you have come in here and caused me a lot of problems. I replied; don`t worry you won`t see me again.

I have mostly had good service from government doctors and hospital but from time to time these things do happen and I don`t doubt what the man`s wife said is fact at all.[/quot

Given that they don't work, a decent doctor wouldn't give antibiotics for a cold

they must be glad that you ain't comming back