Thailand's 'F' word: Offensive or harmless?

webfact

Thailand's 'F' word: Offensive or harmless?
By CHRIS WOTTON

farang-thailand.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Some years ago, I wrote an article about perspectives on the word ‘farang’ in Thailand. It went unpublished, since the magazine in question was afraid of upsetting its advertisers in Thai local government – ironic, given that my conclusion was to be that I didn’t really have a problem with the term.

In the time that has passed, my own view has changed.

Whether the word farang is offensive or benign is one of those topics that gets expats in Thailand in a tizz, though plenty defend its use and are perfectly happy for the ‘f’ word to be used to refer to them, or even to use it to talk about themselves or other white westerners.

Some dismiss those of us who take objection to the term, claiming we’re simply being overly sensitive.

And, of course, the usual brigade of both Thais and expats argue that “if you don’t like it, you can always leave,” rather than engaging in any sort of meaningful discussion.

Why is it even necessary?

It’s true that Thailand isn’t the only country to use a specific term to describe white people. Among other modern-day examples, Indonesians have ‘bule’, Cambodians ‘barang’, and ‘ang mo’ is used in Malaysia and Singapore. The natural direction of that argument is that farang is simply a means of identification, rather than an offensive term used exclusively by prejudiced Thais – but what exactly is it that needs identifying?

An American friend was recently at a restaurant with his Thai partner, who was asked by the waiter in Thai what “the farang” wanted to eat. The American man replied in Thai that he, the farang, was sitting right there (and needless to say, they both then got up and left).

We can make allowances for the fact that the waiter might not have spoken English, or known that the American spoke Thai. But what was the need for the word farang when there were only two customers at the table, and the waiter was already speaking to the other one? What would have been the issue with simply referring to the American as “he” or “your friend”, as the waiter presumably would have done otherwise?

Elsewhere, the word is also commonly used in the media, often placing great emphasis on the victim or perpetrator of a crime being a foreigner, for instance.

But once again, what’s the relevance? Surely the news is that someone has died or killed someone, not whether they grew up in London or Lopburi.

It’s not the same as 'similar' English words

It’s often suggested that the Thai use of ‘farang’ is no different to westerners using the English word, ‘Asian’. [read more...]

Full story: http://whatsonsukhumvit.com/the-f-word-in-thailand-offensive-or-harmless/

whats-on-sukhumvit.png
-- (c) What's on Sukhumvit 2016-04-11

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To sums it all up whether it is offensive or not would be to conclude that it all to do with the context in

which the word is spoken, with disdain or just a way to refer to a foreigner....

Edited by ezzra

Farang yes i am a farang. Many Thais call me farang.

Is it offensive or not? Who cares ? Not me.

Thais who know me call me by my name. Thais who dont know me call me farang.

It is better than Thais saying YOU YOU when they speak to me.

As a general term, I don't find it offensive. But as written in the article about the man in the restaurant, I would be upset also. In many other countries, they'd say something like "what would the gentleman like". Or something similar. Farang shouldn't be used in that situation. Rude. IMHO.

IT IS RACISM ...pure and simple ...Cracker or dare i even type Nigg**. Pak*, chin* whats the difference (as these are actually shortened country names)

thailand is a very racist country ask them what they think of Cambodians or Burmese to start with blink.png

I think it depends on the situation and usage - - in a formal setting it is not likely appropriate or when a name can be used. My family calls me by my proper name with "Khun" preceding it. I did find it offensive when a neighbor who could or should have known my name, called me the farang while i was sitting next to her...

However - it is now Songkran and there will be out of country visitors... My wife holds no prejudice - but if she sees a caucasian roaming the village, she might report back to me that a "farang" is in the village... If speaking English, she surely doesn't know the word "caucasian" or even "Westerner" - nor do I know an appropriate way to make the distinction in Thai w/o getting very wordy..

I might even ask her if there are any new farang in the village.. not sure what other word I might use - this is easily understood.

If I go to the temple massage place, where they speak no English, they might tell me that a "farang" is there - and ask me to help translate. It is surely not used in a derogatory manner, just a descriptive word.

Edited by kenk24

........It is better than Thais saying YOU YOU when they speak to me.

The Thai word คุณ (khun) means both 'you' and 'mister'.

When someone calls out "YOU YOU", he is not being rude, he is trying to be polite.

Edit: ........most of the time wink.png

Edited by Radar501

Well I have no problems with it , in my home city we used to call some Asian people for "the Chinese guys" , because we didn't knew their names . We are the white people for them or at least most of us are, so for me its not offensive at all. If they learn my name they will stop saying farang whien talking to me or my freinds. If not they will hear it.

Edited by balo

Unoffensive, 99 percent of the time. I get annoyed when I'm referred to (in the third person) as "lung farang" (which I translate as "Uncle white guy"), but I know it's not meant disrespectfully and I don't take it seriously. There are other things far more worthy of consternation!

You should not be offended when Thais call out You. You. They have merely translated one of the words - คุณ - that mean mister. They are being polite.

I've often wondered how the Thais living in my home country would react to being constantly referred to as "the Asian".

Actually that would be less offensive than ch@nk, j@p, n@gger, etc. Funny how sensitive f@ranags get the shoe falls on the other side.

Edited by bkk75

The word is not offensive in itself

But the way it is used to refer indifferently to any white foreigner shows the general lack of interest of Thais for the diversity of the world that surrounds their country

The example in the OP summarize it well; the way the word has been used, first, indicates the waiter sees the American like merely something that has been brought in the place by the Thai customer.

Second, it illustrates the way foreigners are not perceived like individuals coming from specific places, with specific cultures or history and that referring to them using a generic term is the norm

The "farang" word means "the non-us" in the Thai mindset.

It suffices them. Unfortunately

I don't particularly like 'farang', though I do use it to refer to myself just for the simple life.

I prefer some grouping that encompassed a group with some surety. Eg If they know I'm English that would be good. If they don't know me they might say European (which I would equate to Asian), if if still unsure then "westerner" would be fine. In a restaurant setting then I would take the most polite form I knew with a customer. I'm not looking for a special classification, and cringe a little if someone calls me Khun (Mr would be plenty good enough).

Then again I do use some of the most offensive words as a term of endearment when talking to friends directly. Words I would never use with someone I don't know.

Since the world is still in the middle of the PC movement, we could start a campaign that it's not okay to use (much like that recent picture joke of a Great White shark must now be called an 'average caucasian shark'.*

*Politicians excepted - I think they should give up their rights to 'right honourable' etc and we can call them any name under the sun that we choose to deliver.

Edited by Shiver

I've often wondered how the Thais living in my home country would react to being constantly referred to as "the Asian".

When I asked them, they told me it happens to them also.

I have my doubts about how many times they heard the waiter walking back to the kitchen placing their order loudly in the place with a : "spaghetti carbonara for the Asian"

My bets are: exceptionally if ever

It's partially the need to categorize, and that applies to more than just people. That couple should have been more understanding, that person was serving food in a restaurant, probably too simple to think beyond seeing a westerner. Given the chance, I usually reply in Thai and let them know, it's Khun Farang.

I speak good Thai, and often insist my wife doesn't accompany me to consultations such as immigration or hospitals. Because often if she does come, they will talk to her about me; the 'third person' in the room. Yes, restaurants also.

Understanding their culture helps you see that they don't quite mean it in the way you are probably 'taking it'.

The only times I've heard the F word usein an offensive way is when the Farang fully deserved it, out of his own cultural behaviour and ignorance.

Many people forget how important "losing face" is here in Thailand. Fear of being misunderstood is part of this.

I have lived in this village for 9 years. Most of the children I have known from birth and get smiles from them. Most of them know my name. Many refer to me as Dta Kit. (They can't say Keith)

Then, almost inevitably, there comes a day when the children see you and with a mischievous expression on their faces say the single word "Farang", sometimes following me and repeating "Farang" over and over. They obviously know that they are being naughty. There must be a reason for them to suddenly start doing this. Any ideas why?

Many years ago when the US Air Force was over here, farang was used extensively by the Thais. What was unusual was they referred to the black US types as "farang dum" and many blacks too offense when they heard the phrase. Most did not know any Thai and did not realize that the Thais were referring to them as black foreigners. They thought that the Thais were calling them dumb rather than a color. They finally learned but it was still not easy for them to get over the idea of dumb rather than dum. Some of the previous comments make a lot of sense but how you interpret the word depends on your knowledge of the Thais and their language.

i think it is brilliant to see folks working so hard to force "P.C." onto another culture.

good luck with that.

Basically, i think it is up to me to establish what folks mean when they refer to me as farang.

Certainly the thais i deal with on a daily basis - from the motorcycle guys outside my house, to tradesmen, acquaintances what have you - refer to me by name. If they do call me farang there is no ill will intended.

either way i could not care less.

many asian people who are not thai and who cannot speak thai are allowed to enter thailand. on one occasion i visited a restaurant in thailand with a khmer lady. the thai waitress adressed the khmer lady in thai which she could not understand and i had to translate for her.

I have lived in this village for 9 years. Most of the children I have known from birth and get smiles from them. Most of them know my name. Many refer to me as Dta Kit. (They can't say Keith)

Then, almost inevitably, there comes a day when the children see you and with a mischievous expression on their faces say the single word "Farang", sometimes following me and repeating "Farang" over and over. They obviously know that they are being naughty. There must be a reason for them to suddenly start doing this. Any ideas why?

All farangs are talked about behind their back.

It's normal as you are an unusual commodity.

I would guess your kids are hearing a friend or neighbour talking about you.

Everyone does it in a village< and it's not necessarily negative. Just idle chat.

In my part of Africa, we are referred to as Muzungus (actual meaning ` white skin`) - lighter skinned Thais are also referred to as Muzungus, much to the chagrin of my wife , when I tell her here she is a farang.

. Often Africans from a neighboring country will be referred to as a Muzungu, being a foreigner. As you say it is all in the context and can be insulting , complimentary, descriptive or whatever. Also often an excuse for behavior ( ie he did not know he`s a muzungu.

Having lived in Thailand and now Cambodia, farang and barang are used in very different ways. Back in the 80's in Thailand it was often quietly spoken. By the millennium it became a word that was more often than not fired in my direction. Kids often used it, with raised voices, while pointing fingers, where did they learn that from?

In Cambodia the word Barang is simply used when talking about foreigners. People, children, do not routinely shout it at you at every turn.

Personally I don't like it. I wouldn't and never did shout, Asian, Ch@ink or anything else in the UK as a child or adult.

All that said, one man's meat.....