Maintaining An Online Identity.

villagefarang

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dogs bark for a reason. It is their job to let the owner know there are strange people in the area.biggrin.png

Same monks ... every day. And that is just the 5:30 AM shift. I agree-- monks are strange but that's another topic.

BTW the dog that you said is a good judge of character got run over by a truck while judging my character.

Grandiosity is chiefly associated with narcissistic personality disorder, but also commonly features in manic or hypomanicepisodes of bipolar disorder.

Yes -- but the problem with such persons is that that will go to a doctor and say that they are there to get a second opinion on a diagnosis. And when the doctor asks: Well who supplied the primary diagnosis? they reply:

I DID!

Personally I don't think avatars and usernames matter much. I put very little thought into mine. Others seem to disagree, though - hence all manner of comments about riding my bike or what I wear doing so. As if my whole persona was summed up by 8 characters, and riding my bike along a soi the entirety of my lifestyle; they seem to imagine that by attacking that title I once carelessly attached to my account here they're somehow attacking me.

Some people take the internet way too seriously.

I can’t quite figure out what all this has to do with your personal choice of online identity or avatar.

That's because there are some on here with online identities that, at least in those identities, are much smarter than you.

... and it isn't just about money, though it often is, but some have endless stories about how they -- the quick-witted, wily, farang -- out foxed the slow plodding, member of Thai officialdom ... or how Thai women are attracted to them not for their largess but for their scintillating personalities although one guy in particular on that has been recently banned.

Edited by JLCrab

I cant quite figure out what all this has to do with your personal choice of online identity or avatar.

That's because there are some on here with online identities that, at least in those identities, are much smarter than you.

You, for example, seem to be wearing a collar, tie and hat. Few of us are anywhere near that smart.

I cant quite figure out what all this has to do with your personal choice of online identity or avatar.

You, for example, seem to be wearing a collar, tie and hat. Few of us are anywhere near that smart.

... and I always carry binoculars. I ain't smart as members have been telling me on here for years.

Edited by JLCrab

Jack Nicholson from the movie Chinatown by Roman Polanski.

Jack has a lot less hair now!

Thoughtful topic. Thank you, Village, for posting.​

By not revealing personal identifying data it somehow feels like I don’t have to be as guarded while connecting with people around the world.

"Not revealing personal data" is the best way I know to practice "safe Internet-ing"; the equivalent of locking car doors or keeping one's money in a hidden pocket.

And not only on forums. I've hired many freelancers via the Internet. I learned to be guarded there, too, because of different values between, not just individuals, but also between nationalities and races. Many predators and plenty of "sick-o's" prowling the Internet.

If the people I meet become difficult it is much easier move on and ignore people online than it is in daily life.

Yes, indeed. People I first encounter on line become "difficult" far more often than people I first meet in person. So I've started a careful "screening" process before I will meet in person anyone whom I first encountered on line. I judge others, and I offer opportunities to others to judge me.

Not only forum-ers, but bloggers, too The vast majority of blog writers are quite bold about revealing personal details.

where I live ... there is a dearth of interesting and inspiring companionship locally so I use travel and the internet to extend my reach.

"... to extend reach." Well put.

Here in Bangkok, I, too, find "a dearth of interesting and inspiring companionship" (among Westerners, that is). For example, most expats I encounter here wouldn't know how to spell "dearth", let alone how use it in a sentence.

Do you identify with and curate your online persona or is it simply a mask to hide behind...

Useful question. Both. I curate carefully in order to attract others of "like mind" for further conversation. Conversation, which may, over time, grow into friendship. On the other side, I mask to keep away those who intentionally make themselves difficult.

​Every forum I've ever encountered, which was open to the public (open to anyone who cared to register), has had a large proportion of difficult people. On the other hand, private forums (limited access), or private messages (behind the scenes of public forums) consistently have more inspiring conversations. Limited access and privacy always seem to encourage thoughtful conversation.

The essential purpose of my persona on public forums is to attract invitations to such private conversations. I am conscious of that purpose with very post I make, on every forum where I participate.

My mother, who painted my avatar, was well ahead of the times. "Sheep in wolf's clothing, wolf in sheep's clothing, Mice in dresses, Mandarin Rats" She would say: You never know who people are. She gave her three children the same initials. When, later in life asked Why? She said: " You never tell the bank anything more than you need to have them lend you money" So I had a first class education in "curating identity"

The faces, masks, self portraits of on line identity a very interesting thing. How many email addresses do you have??!! Oh, look! asiandating.com advert has popped up next to my post. Do I have a user name for that? Must check my phone

Edited by laolover88

So I'm guessing those who lament the dearth of interesting and inspiring companionship here in Thailand consider themselves to be interesting and inspiring persons. OK.

Other than here on ThaiVisa, with all the other media in which I participate -- most of which require moderator approval before anything gets posted online -- I do so in my real name because there is otherwise no way to be taken seriously.

But I guess to some, why should that be important?

Edited by JLCrab

Here in Bangkok, I, too, find "a dearth of interesting and inspiring companionship" (among Westerners, that is). For example, most expats I encounter here wouldn't know how to spell "dearth", let alone how use it in a sentence.

I'm sure there are plenty of British people over the age of 70 that can use 'dearth' and other outdated words in sentences. It isn't about being interesting, it's about being old, pompous and probably a crashing bore.

Edited by BritManToo

Some of the people that I deal with online are either directly or through their NGO's recipients of MacArthur Fellowships in the USA. Some like what I have to say and respond, most do not respond to my posts or comments although I know they have read them, and some loathe anything I have to say, block me on Twitter, and refuse to approve anything I submit to their websites. From Wikipedia:

The MacArthur Fellows Program, MacArthur Fellowship, or "Genius Grant" is a prize awarded annually by the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation typically to between 20 and 30 individuals, working in any field, who have shown "extraordinary originality and dedication in their creative pursuits and a marked capacity for self-direction" and are citizens or residents of the United States. ... The current prize is $625,000 paid over five years in quarterly installments.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacArthur_Fellows_Program

Edited by JLCrab

Mind you, I have enough difficulty maintaining my "offline identity" having, as Keats might have said-but didn't- a chameleon personality. To link to another thread; because I am white and reasonably well off and a professional I am an expat; if I was Syrian or Congolese and poor I would be an immigrant. At least the Chinese and Thais have simplified matters for us: We are All Ang Mo or Aliens.

I'm sure there are plenty of British people over the age of 70 that can use 'dearth' and other outdated words in sentences. It isn't about being interesting, it's about being old, pompous and probably a crashing bore.

I asked my wife what dearth meant. And she is neither old nor uninteresting "Oh she said of course I know. He is that character in Star wars Dearth Vader"

Dogs bark for a reason. It is their job to let the owner know there are strange people in the area.biggrin.png

Not according to Professor Schwartzman...

attachicon.gifbark.jpg

Of course dogs bark for a reason but, in my neighborhood, if a bird farts, that is reason enough.

Edited by JLCrab