Reverse culture shock tips if you haven't lived in the U.S. for a really long time

I guess a lot may depend on how long you've been away, where you lived before and where you plan on living?

Assuming you're 60 years old and have lived in Thailand for 10 years, you've still spent more than 80% of your time living in the U.S.

I think any culture shock might revolve around how much culture you've missed out on being in Thailand, which will now be available? Libraries, lectures, classes, art, museums, theater, dance, galleries, concerts, music, clubs, comedy clubs, world cinema are widely available. Book your "Hamilton" tickets now for any return in 2019. wink.png

I've been living the bulk of the time in Thailand for ~ 12 years, but still spend 2 -4 months, across multiple trips, in the U.S.

Some of my observations:

cars are amazingly tricked out with even basic models having all sorts of new features,

medicinal/legalized/nearly decriminalized marijuana, available for those who might need or enjoy it,

more and more public transport is available,

the food scene is vastly improved - so many farm to table options now, and a lot more ethnic/fusion food. Food trucks are literally everywhere now, obviously the availability of reasonably-priced wine and cheese would be welcome after a stint in Thailand,

the amount of immigrants/cultural diversity is a breath of fresh air (~350,000 Thais have legally emigrated to the U.S., and with another 50,000 students/over-stayers, Thais obviously like life in the U.S.) compared to the relative mono-culture here.

I am always on the edge of returning, but will probably just shift more of the year back to the U.S.

Very interesting points.

Yes, on a macro level I'm sure I already understand American culture.

But things change fast there. I've even felt different moods after not visiting for three years.

Some things will be sad to adjust to.

Like smiling at Thai people, the casualness of it.

In the U.S. you need to be more reserved with strangers, more cautious.

Dependent a lot though on the specific U.S. region though.

Great point about the arts and culture in my native language.

That is definitely a huge interest to me and I will likely be living in an area where all that is available.

I'm skeptical about how true it is that public transport has improved very much. I didn't notice that at all when I visited. Of course dependent on the specific locality. I know Uber and vehicle sharing is a trend and also "last mile" schemes with things like Uber to get you the "last mile" from where the bigger standard public transport ends. Those are moves in the right direction but I still think the vast majority of the U.S. is a very car dependent society.

On food, yes I've read about the trends. I think while I've been away the Kale insanity came and went. No worries, always liked Kale anyway, but doesn't need to be in everything.

Farm to table ... I'm skeptical whether that's just marketing to jack up prices.

Food trucks ... great, because obviously they can keep the prices down with lower overhead.

Ethnic foods ... have always loved it and always lived in the U.S. where it is widely available. Agree it is becoming much more widespread with more people into it, and that's great.

Affordable decent wine? YES!!!!!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

To add, in my view a dominant part of American culture is a focus on the younger generation. Particularly in marketing and media. It was definitely that way when I was younger. I assume that's still going on and as I've been away for so long, I think the culture shock dealing with the particular peculiarities of this current younger generation will probably be more than for an older person who had stayed, seeing that influence develop more gradually.

Hi Jing and Nancy L - -

As I have been reflecting on this, though not a move for me - what would concern me the most would be the cost of reasonable housing. In Thailand, you have the ability to live inexpensively and not worry about quality of neighborhood. I would think any major city would be prohibitive. Have you looked into the costs of any particular areas that you are thinking about?

How can you live in a safe and pleasant community at anywhere near the housing costs you would have to pay in USA? And then, there are all the incidental expenses. Insurance for car and home owning etc.. if you do not want to discuss on forum, please feel free to Pm... I am curious where someone might live if they did return.

So bum guns. Any need to import special hardware from Thailand. I reckon installing one would be against condo codes though. Darn all those rules!

i had to do custom plumbing adapter as none of the US ball valves use that thread. I bought the nice stainless bum guns and brought them with me. I can update you on the plumbing next month but I think someone else had a solution on here.
  • Like 1

I think there have been threads on ThaiVisa about installing toilet sprayers in the west. I'd definitely miss having one. But I also miss having the equivalent fixture on my kitchen sink here.

Speaking of kitchen fixtures, it would be nice to get back to a land where you can shove food scraps down the kitchen sink and then turn on a magic switch and have 'en ground up and disappear. No more ruined manicures from scraping food scraps out of the sink strainer.

• Like 2

Yes I have located lots of safe affordable housing. See my other thread about US destinations. To buy for about 70k for a 2 bed condo.

Yes costs for most things will be higher.

For example:

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/condo,townhouse_type/47174863_zpid/2-_beds/50000-60000_price/178-213_mp/any_days/pricea_sort/28.041986,-82.482948,27.63092,-83.111916_rect/10_zm/?3col=true

• Like 1

So bum guns. Any need to import special hardware from Thailand. I reckon installing one would be against condo codes though. Darn all those rules!

i had to do custom plumbing adapter as none of the US ball valves use that thread. I bought the nice stainless bum guns and brought them with me. I can update you on the plumbing next month but I think someone else had a solution on here.

But(t) if you just bought a standard kitchen sink sprayer in the U.S. you wouldn't need any fancy custom plumbing?

But(t) if you just bought a standard kitchen sink sprayer in the U.S. you wouldn't need any fancy custom plumbing?
No. The kitchen sprayers have the same threads and seal In USA or thailand (or very similar). The issue comes with the plumbing. Most bathrooms have a valve that is only for the toilet.

I recommend bringing a nice sprayer with you as the ones in USA are not good and expensive on their own. I even got a ball valve to fit the sprayer. But I plan on redoing my plumbing when I remodel. The next buyer is going to be confused I'm sure.

• Like 2

US drivers are worse and more callous than they ever were before. So many people are chatting and driving distracted on the phone. It is scary and very upsetting to see so many accidents almost happen. If you get in an accident, make damn sure you get the person's phone number and your lawyer gets their cell phone voice and text message records.

Amazon.com has everything you need. Youtube for instruction. Done!

No need to bring from Thailand.

Did you find a brand that doesn't leak? Every single one I've bought from Amazon (multiple), Home Depot, Lowes, has leaked.

US drivers are worse and more callous than they ever were before. So many people are chatting and driving distracted on the phone. It is scary and very upsetting to see so many accidents almost happen. If you get in an accident, make damn sure you get the person's phone number and your lawyer gets their cell phone voice and text message records.

Nope. Not true. Riding on the roads in the US has been getting steadily safer for 50 years and continues to do so despite the emergence of cell phones. I despise those careless people who talk or even text while driving, but they have not pushed the accident rate up appreciably.

The better statistic, for which I cannot find a graph, is to compare fatality rates per million vehicular miles travelled which would probably show a greater reduction in traffic deaths. This population graph fails to take into account the increase in auto usage which has occurred over the period.

To say nothing of comparing US highway safety with Thailand.

465px-U.S._traffic_deaths_as_fraction_of

• Like 1

Oh and tv!!! Wowowow series are sooo good! Everything is dvr and on demand the cable sat channels are insane!!! You will love american TV!! I AM CURRENTLy banging through ray donovan...soooo good...and true detective 1st season was amazing!!!! Tv shows today in the west have gotten so edgy and smart and dark and complicated and weird and funny...even american commercials are all slick and catchy and well produced....

you are aware that all of those shows can be streamed form thailand for free right?

• Like 1

Oh and tv!!! Wowowow series are sooo good! Everything is dvr and on demand the cable sat channels are insane!!! You will love american TV!! I AM CURRENTLy banging through ray donovan...soooo good...and true detective 1st season was amazing!!!! Tv shows today in the west have gotten so edgy and smart and dark and complicated and weird and funny...even american commercials are all slick and catchy and well produced....

you are aware that all of those shows can be streamed form thailand for free right?

I alluded to that. Wink wink nod nod.

That's one of the issues in the USA to get all of that which it wouldn't be prudent to go into much detail about here.

The main trend that I notice in the US is the increased militarization of the culture. Many more movies seem to feature the military or the CIA. For example, we just watched Ben Affleck's movie "Argo" about the clandestine rescue of some US Embassy officials during the hostage crisis of 1979. In the movie the CIA agent played by Affleck is the caring, courageous individual who defies heartless commands from the CIA bureaucrats and almost single-handedly rescues the officials. In reality the CIA role was minor compared to that of the Canadian govt. It goes without saying that dramatizing this small incident of the US role in Iran is just a piece of propaganda instead of choosing, for example, the CIA's long-term role in training the Shah's SAVAK in torturing Iranian dissidents.

So, that's just one example, but roles glorifying the military and CIA seem to have metastasized in American media.

Hmm.

Well, I saw that not very recent movie and thought the Canadian role was certainly recognized.

It wasn't intended to be a documentary anyway.

I don't really see that as a change.

That's kind of a cyclical thing ... it goes up and down and then up again. Totally used to that.

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

Yes I have located lots of safe affordable housing. See my other thread about US destinations. To buy for about 70k for a 2 bed condo.

Yes costs for most things will be higher.

For example:

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/condo,townhouse_type/47174863_zpid/2-_beds/50000-60000_price/178-213_mp/any_days/pricea_sort/28.041986,-82.482948,27.63092,-83.111916_rect/10_zm/?3col=true

Oops, sorry, condo fee already discussed. That's a no-no for me.

Cheers.

Edited by NeverSure

To add, in my view a dominant part of American culture is a focus on the younger generation. Particularly in marketing and media. It was definitely that way when I was younger. I assume that's still going on and as I've been away for so long, I think the culture shock dealing with the particular peculiarities of this current younger generation will probably be more than for an older person who had stayed, seeing that influence develop more gradually.

This might be one of the bigger culture shocks in the USA, that old folks are basically invisible. You're no longer "special," just another old person taking up space. It's youth that's celebrated. Don't even think about hitting on a young female as you'll be labeled a dirty old man...or worse. But in your case, I'm sure you know that homophobia is still alive and well in the USA, especially in certain parts of the country.

I have not been back in several years, but from friends living there, I hear reports of people being less civil... and angrier.

One friend who recently moved back reports that things are just a lot more expensive...

What i also hear from people/retirees there and ones who go back and forth, is that it is boring in USA...

If I remember correctly, you are in Pattaya area - not sure where you are going to in USA, but I think you will miss the excitement and free entertainment of just walking the streets or sitting and people watching...

I'm not a retiree, but I tell you what, I have as much fun in Las Vegas as I do in Bangkok.

Better live music in Vegas too, on the walking street in old town it's FREE, multiple bands. Last year one block had a Metallica tribute band, a block up a band doing 80's music.

Now for retirees maybe not the cup o' tea, but for middle agers quite fun.

I think that the same is true for all of us who have been living in LOS for some time, regardless of our country of origin.

In my case I have progressively observed changes in life in the UK which are definitely not for the better from my perspective on various trips back home since moving out here 8 years ago - to the extent that I now feel a complete stranger in my home country whenever I go there. And the prospect of having to readjust myself to UK culture were I to move back there permanently is one which, quite frankly, I dread.

I will be going back to the UK for the first time in 26 years in July. Looking at it as an adventure as it certainly won't be the country I left. Will only be there for a couple of weeks though.