Weather in Chiang Rai region

kal147

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We had a bit more here, lasted about 4 hours and was even heavy for a while.

Saw Austhaied on line and he said it was drizzling in Chiang Mai.

Rained pretty much all last night and still a light drizzle now in Hang Dong. Surprised it hasn't rained more in the Rai.

CB

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Yes, I think I would say the northern Thailand is the haziest place that I have ever lived.....I mean haziest because of natural happenings....I'm ruling out air pollution since I've lived in places that were hazier than northern Thailand but only because of pollutants.

Chownah

The subject of haze is well covered in an article on this website entitled Brown Clouds over Asia

f7.14

• 9 months later...

August is rainiest month of the year.

Despite some downpous, we haven't had as much cumulative rain as expected this year - though I haven't seen measurements.

Prediction: drier than usual late winter. Reservoirs and water tables considerably lower than normal. I know it's hard to image, while we're here in August with rain coming down - but mark my words .....and conserve water usage.

Despite some downpous, we haven't had as much cumulative rain as expected this year - though I haven't seen measurements.

Prediction: drier than usual late winter. Reservoirs and water tables considerably lower than normal. I know it's hard to image, while we're here in August with rain coming down - but mark my words .....and conserve water usage.

I suspect brahmburgers right. I've not seen a lot of rain this year. Hasn't stopped my Bloody grass growing like crazy though :)

It'll be good to have you back Scea, it's been rather dull here without you. Yes I agree that the weather has been dryer, between bouts of heavy rain there's been something like a few day's mini-hot seasons.

We bought 4 young buffalos 2 months ago to keep the grass down (2 rais), but boy do they eat, we were having to go and collect grass cuttings for fodder for them when ever we heard a strimmer buzzing nearby. We just sold them for 300 baht profit each, but we didn't have to fork out for grass cutting for that time. Mrs. Lman pocketed the profit as wages for looking after them, fair enough I suppose, but LMAN HAS BEEN VERY HOT COLLECTING THE bUFF-PATS so looking forward to a good crop of tomatoes later. Another downside is that the mossies that hung around them are now buzzing at our windows.

Yes, driest Rainseason the last 7 years. Not one of these very entertaining thunderstorms that goes on for 4-5 hours in nighttime. I think we only have had one time a rain that has been going on for more than 24 hours.

Weatherreport in CNN said yesterday that it was going to rain over whole SEA but not a drip in CR.

And the dam in Huay Sak is very low, 2 meters lower than normal at this time.

:D:):D

and I thought only the Brits discussed the weather on a daily basis.

Thank you one-eyed two post John!

Yes along with the Lotto and footy the weather is us Brit's favourite small talk. Always blooming freezing in Svenland so give the lad a chance when he thaws out here.

We'll, we don't have a pinned topic for the Mae Kok, but here goes.....

Most of the year, it's low enough to walk from one side to the other without getting your family jewels wet.

I'm somewhat familiar with the area between 'Pattaya Noi' and the long hill opposite.

In one of the past 11 years, the water got about 20 cm above the flat grassy hill by the Buddhist cave. In India, they'd call those step-wall by the river there, a ghat. That was August, but can't remember which year, ...think it was about 5 years ago.

This year, the river level is closer to what you'd expect in January. In other words, it's about 2.5 meters lower than normal. The actual water level in the river at that area is averaging about 2 to 2.5 meters now. I gauge that from me doing a swim/float down that section about thrice per month.

As for visibility, it sucks! ....at about 12 cm. Very silt-ridden. Also, one can gauge pollution in a cursory way by the amount of floating soap bubbles at any given time. By that, I'd say it's moderately clean. However, below the water treatment plant at the Mae Fah Luang bridge, it probably gets dirtier.

Not surprisingly, the river would certainly get dirtier as it meanders on by Chiang Rai city.

About 5 Km below the 4 lane Hwy bridge, there's a dam. About 7 months a year it's closed, so the water backs up to the bridge that goes out to the airport. It's done for irrigation. This year it will be closed earlier and opened later, which is too bad, because it stops a decent river from flowing freely and standing water is more likely to gather garbage and stink.

I noticed yesterday, hopefully just in time that some of my Shrubs had almost withered away due to lack of water. Had to get the Hosepipe out.

Also felt a bit of winter chill yesterday morning so maybe winters going to come early too with its usual lack of rain.

Archived