Weather in Chiang Rai region

kal147

Lovely picture Scea, but where is the picture of the “harvester”?biggrin.png That is just the threshing machine used after harvesting by hand.whistling.gif

It was a bit dusty down here today.

8116005678_e66cde5fa9_z.jpg

The dust from the harvesters settles fairly quickly.

Some of the rice in this field is still too green to cut so with luck they will come back and do the rest by hand.

Interestingly they seem to be using the same size gang as they do for hand cutting but it's a lot quicker with the machine of course.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The dust from the harvesters settles fairly quickly.

Some of the rice in this field is still too green to cut so with luck they will come back and do the rest by hand.

Interestingly they seem to be using the same size gang as they do for hand cutting but it's a lot quicker with the machine of course.

It was beautiful mt. bike weather today, so I went out and harvested a photograph of a harvester just for you.biggrin.pngthumbsup.gif

Harvester%2520%2520002.jpg

Harvester%2520%2520001.jpg

True and it's certainly hard work which can have a serious effect on health in later years, I've seen a number of old ladies who will never straighten their back again.

However... there's always a however isn't there? ... this seasonal work was the only opportunity that some women got to generate some personal income.

8129462196_9a21916aec_z.jpg

I am a little confused I thought the burning issues in the North were from February,March and April???

There is also a season of burning in October-November?

Chiangrai has two rice harvests so there is a short period of burning now. It is not as severe as the one in march as there is still some rain and this tends to prevent the particulates building up so much.

I am a little confused I thought the burning issues in the North were from February,March and April???

Some of the burning has been of leftovers from the recent corn harvest, as well. Except for when it is pouring rain, there is some burning going on all year. It is the quantity and the atmospheric conditions, like inversions, that dictate how much buildup one gets in my opinion.

Chiangrai has two rice harvests so there is a short period of burning now. It is not as severe as the one in march as there is still some rain and this tends to prevent the particulates building up so much.

Correct - it is burning from the first cut this season

Our neighbours usually only do one crop of rice and then some sort of cash crop like soya beans or maize as crop rotation.

Most of the waste is then ploughed back in.

It be pumpkin they be growin in these here parts. offtopic2.gif Off topic, I know, but tomorrow is Halloween!biggrin.png

pumkin%2520%2520%2520001.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived