Thaksin denies PM’s accusation that he pulls the strings behind anti-government activities

rooster59

Silly question really but has this country ever asked for Thaksins extradition?

No. The Powers That Be like things just the way they are. Imagine how much dirt he probably has (in my opinion) on 'Good People' which he could reveal in court? Best to keep him out of the country and use him to frighten the kiddies and some of the posters on here with.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, back in November 2009.

Thaksin extradition demand denied

Cambodia has rejected an extradition request from Thailand for former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, further escalating a diplomatic row.

Mr Thaksin arrived in Cambodia on Tuesday, after being invited to work as an adviser to the government there.

Thai diplomats gave the extradition papers to Cambodia early on Wednesday.

But Cambodia replied saying it would not consider the request, because it viewed the charges Mr Thaksin faces in Thailand as politically motivated.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8353896.stm Edited by Wilsonandson

"Prime Minister Prayut appeared to have the habit of putting the blame on the other people for all the problems in Thailand without taking any responsibility"

​What a coincidence. Seems that Prayut learnt this off thaksin and the PTP.

The PTP run by thaksin blamed the tax payers, the rural doctors, the rice farmers,the corn farmers, the woman's league, the first car buyers that defaulted on loans, the environmentalists (garbage), the rubber farmers, academics, unions, students, teachers, public servants, consumer advocates, economists, scientists, judges, lawyers and professors for all the faults of the PTP.

Did I miss anyone...Oh yes, they also blamed the World bank, Moody's, UNHCR, Human Rights Watch, Supa, global economists, IMF, private banks, GSB, the EC, AoT, the courts, military, bangkok middle class, business owner, state enterprise staff, Buddhist monks, civil servants, labor unions, Green Politics group, Thai Constitution Protection Association, The Thai press, NIDA poll, Bangkok Poll for their own shortcomings as well.

Glad I kept the list of entities or people the PTP have blamed before. I knew it would come in handy one day.

Fortunately the majority have woken up to the shenanigans by thaksin and his ilk with this hypocrisy they spew.

"Fortunately the majority have woken up to the shenanigans by thaksin and his ilk with this hypocrisy they spew."

On this (but not the rest of your post) I am in qualified agreement with you. In 2014 the people were tired of the demonstrated incompetence of the PTP, which was why it was an excellent time to hold a nationwide election and start the process of removing the PTP and Shinawatras from power democratically.

However the Democrats were also extremely unpopular and would have suffered as well, and Thailand would have been governed by a coalition of parties chosen by the majority, not the power-brokers of Bangkok. Obviously this was unacceptable to Suthep, Prayuth, quite a few posters on TV, and others who can not be named.

Now the incompetence of the PTP government has been forgotten, overridden by the incompetence and oppression of the junta. If there is another election the Shinawatras will be as influential as ever.

Agree, there is no really credible party in the picture right now.

On the other hand, if you think the paymaster and his ilk are good for Thailand, god help us.

"Prime Minister Prayut appeared to have the habit of putting the blame on the other people for all the problems in Thailand without taking any responsibility"

The PTP run by thaksin blamed the tax payers, the rural doctors, the rice farmers,the corn farmers, the woman's league, the first car buyers that defaulted on loans, the environmentalists (garbage), the rubber farmers, academics, unions, students, teachers, public servants, consumer advocates, economists, scientists, judges, lawyers and professors for all the faults of the PTP.

Did I miss anyone...Oh yes, they also blamed the World bank, Moody's, UNHCR, Human Rights Watch, Supa, global economists, IMF, private banks, GSB, the EC, AoT, the courts, military, bangkok middle class, business owner, state enterprise staff, Buddhist monks, civil servants, labor unions, Green Politics group, Thai Constitution Protection Association, The Thai press, NIDA poll, Bangkok Poll for their own shortcomings as well.

Glad I kept the list of entities or people the PTP have blamed before. I knew it would come in handy one day.

Fortunately the majority have woken up to the shenanigans by thaksin and his ilk with this hypocrisy they spew.

Yes, but but but

I've yet to see one of these protests which he's supposed to be responsible for, unless Mr P's referring to red bowls, calendars, hitting the 'Like' button on Facebook, going to a park by train, expressing a personal opinion on the charter, reading a book or eating a sandwich.

Thaksin is a convict criminal. During past year he always try to destabilize Thailand for is own interest

Are you saying the people running the country now are not criminals?

Hahahah

Pot calling the kettle black there pal.

"Fortunately the majority have woken up to the shenanigans by thaksin and his ilk with this hypocrisy they spew."

On this (but not the rest of your post) I am in qualified agreement with you. In 2014 the people were tired of the demonstrated incompetence of the PTP, which was why it was an excellent time to hold a nationwide election and start the process of removing the PTP and Shinawatras from power democratically.

However the Democrats were also extremely unpopular and would have suffered as well, and Thailand would have been governed by a coalition of parties chosen by the majority, not the power-brokers of Bangkok. Obviously this was unacceptable to Suthep, Prayuth, quite a few posters on TV, and others who can not be named.

Now the incompetence of the PTP government has been forgotten, overridden by the incompetence and oppression of the junta. If there is another election the Shinawatras will be as influential as ever.

On the other hand, if you think the paymaster and his ilk are good for Thailand, god help us.

Yes there is, the Democrat party and the Pheu Thai party.

I like Mark from Newcastle best. Though he has put a bit of weight on he has grown some balls recently standing up to big bully Prayut over the referendum. Go Mark, go!

Edited by Wilsonandson

Pls just forget about thaksin already. He is not in the country anymore. he cannot do anything much if the current Junta focus on their solutions to the problems at hand and do a good job of governing the country. I will support the JUNTA if they really do a good job n vote them in every election or if there is not request for the Junta to stay in power. If the country is doing well under the junta, everybody will be busy making money or enjoying what they r doing to be bothered with anything else.

I sure Thaksin would get actively involved in undermining the junta if it served his interests. However, as he pointed out:

"...there was no need for him to hire foreign lobbyists to tarnish the reputation for the prime minister because the latter has already undermined his own image with his own words."

Perhaps that's why nobody has offered proof of Thaksin doing anything beyond media interviews. Why bother? "Never interfere with an enemy while he is in the process of destroying himself." (credited to Napoleon).

Like with other 'innocent games' I'm sure all will come out in 6 to 12 months time.

When Thaksin says "no need' he doesn't deny, he obfuscates. Like his "who am I to do such" with the talks with Southern rebels, like the innocent calendar. Orchestrated, clear and simple.

Next we'll discuss how the EC is coming to a halt as Ms. Yingluck hasn't been on that very important visit yet. Awfully quiet after all nonsense.

Orchestrated, on purpose, deemed needed by our favorite criminal fugitive who wants to come back. Probably to show he doesn't have a 'need' to be corrupt, only the urge.

Even compared to the unsubstantiated speculation this topic has generated in abundance, your post is remarkably lacking in substance.

No. The Powers That Be like things just the way they are. Imagine how much dirt he probably has (in my opinion) on 'Good People' which he could reveal in court? Best to keep him out of the country and use him to frighten the kiddies and some of the posters on here with.

Let's see, Thaksin undoubtedly still has connections with the RTP from his time with them in the '80's, and was foreign minister in the mid-90's, a time when Prayuth was a rising star in the Eastern Tigers, and the Eastern Tigers were getting rich "guarding" the border with Cambodia--meaning illegal trading with the Khmer Rouge (moderators won't allow a link, google "foreign policy", "prayuth", "eastern tigers", and "khmer rouge", you'll have no trouble finding it).

Just speculation of course, but I suspect he knows a lot of stuff people don't want the public to know about.

Well, there was an attempt to form a new political party for all the right reasons before the coup http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1398086388&section=11&typecate=06. Of course that's not going to happen now.

I think it's clear from the above post, and many others, that I don't think the Shinawatra's are good for Thailand. I've also made it clear in many posts that I don't think military rule is good for Thailand. I think democracy, if it's ever allowed to stay in place long enough to mature, will be good for Thailand.

Well, there was an attempt to form a new political party for all the right reasons before the coup http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1398086388&section=11&typecate=06. Of course that's not going to happen now.

I think it's clear from the above post, and many others, that I don't think the Shinawatra's are good for Thailand. I've also made it clear in many posts that I don't think military rule is good for Thailand. I think democracy, if it's ever allowed to stay in place long enough to mature, will be good for Thailand.

The 2006 coup detat has resulted in another signifi- cant incarnation of political parties as players in the Thai political arena. Although political parties were not abolished, their political activities have been strictly prohibited. This sadly shatters the hopes of many who want to uphold the spirit of Thai democracy. The 2006 coup conveys a message that in Thailand there will always be the threat of a military coup. Notwithstanding, this does not erase the general perception that competitive political parties are indispensable to the consolidation and growth of the democratic system in Thai- land. Therefore, we cannot cease to examine and understand the roles of political parties even during the time of non-elected government.

We have been saying all the while that the military is never a solution and actually a problem. A glaring problem is that repeating coups are not conducive for attracting good people to politics. The numerous coups convey a message that in Thailand there will always be the threat of a military coup. The misdemeanor of the military as regards to corruption is also bad message that corruption eradication is never an honest attempt and selective. Under those circumstances, who in their right mind would step into this unstable political environment and jeopardize their life and livelihood. The only chance for good people to take up politics is that we have an inclusive constitution and a fair & honest judiciary system.

1. If he were to be extradited, or return voluntarily he would be dead within 24 hours of getting off the airplane. The junta could not risk having him in jail, as the focus of opposition. But dead in custody really would blow the lid off the pressure cooker.

2. They know that attempts to extradite an elected politician by a military junta would be laughed out of court in most countries.

Therefore they don't bother.

I sure Thaksin would get actively involved in undermining the junta if it served his interests. However, as he pointed out:

"...there was no need for him to hire foreign lobbyists to tarnish the reputation for the prime minister because the latter has already undermined his own image with his own words."

Perhaps that's why nobody has offered proof of Thaksin doing anything beyond media interviews. Why bother? "Never interfere with an enemy while he is in the process of destroying himself." (credited to Napoleon).

Like with other 'innocent games' I'm sure all will come out in 6 to 12 months time.

When Thaksin says "no need' he doesn't deny, he obfuscates. Like his "who am I to do such" with the talks with Southern rebels, like the innocent calendar. Orchestrated, clear and simple.

Next we'll discuss how the EC is coming to a halt as Ms. Yingluck hasn't been on that very important visit yet. Awfully quiet after all nonsense.

Orchestrated, on purpose, deemed needed by our favorite criminal fugitive who wants to come back. Probably to show he doesn't have a 'need' to be corrupt, only the urge.

Even compared to the unsubstantiated speculation this topic has generated in abundance, your post is remarkably lacking in substance.

Which of course means 'substance you care for'

No problem, difference of opinion.

No, I mean substance in general. A post of unsubstantiated opinions and quotes that are meaningless without context.

Democracy, if it's ever allowed to stay in place long enough to mature, will be good for Thailand.

If it stayed in place long enough when yingluck was in power the economy would have crashed, the tourist sector would have crashed along with it, terrorist attacks in Bangkok would have sky rocketed unabated without a single arrest by the govt and yingluck would be running the country on FB with back up from thaksin on Skype.

Democracy! It has to be born before it can mature.

Democracy, if it's ever allowed to stay in place long enough to mature, will be good for Thailand.

If it stayed in place long enough when yingluck was in power the economy would have crashed, the tourist sector would have crashed along with it, terrorist attacks in Bangkok would have sky rocketed unabated without a single arrest by the govt and yingluck would be running the country on FB with back up from thaksin on Skype.

You're becoming more detached from reality. The protests were fading, as was the violence. Tourism took it's biggest hit after the coup, and in spite of the stories hyping the wonderful Chinese tourists, many tourism dependent businesses have yet to recover. The economy has stagnated since the coup.

Yingluck was no longer PM. The PTP government was attempting to hold an election in July 2014 when both it and the ironically misnamed Democrats were at a low point in popularity. Democracy had a tenuous foothold and a chance to advance. Then there was the coup.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, the coup was staged to ensure the "right" people had a secure grip on power during and after an upcoming event. It wasn't staged for noble "save the country" reasons, it was staged out of pure self-interest for a small minority of the country.

Edited by heybruce

No, I mean substance in general. A post of unsubstantiated opinions and quotes that are meaningless without context.

Thanks for reminding me this topic is on Thaksin.

Thaksin didn't deny, he only said he didn't need to. The 'calender' issue got lots of posters into 'democracy' mood, till it was clear to all that it was politics as usual instead and the 'all innocent line' had lost is believability. With the Thaksin meddling in 'peace talks' we had the same. I think it was a too early departed friend who tried to convince me I wouldn't be able to prove Thaksin did such thing because Thaksin wouldn't do such thing. Thaksin only non-denied "who am I to do such". Well, I won't tell you what I think he is, but half a year later it came out he did do such. His PM sister at that time also non-denied.

Enough context on Thaksin's non-denials and believability for you or would you like to know more wink.png

"Thaksin said that he had kept his silence all along and stopped making any comments"

So Al-Jazeera are fabricating claims such as "After nearly two years of relative quiet, Thaksin Shinawatra, Thailand's controversial former prime minister, has gone on a media offensive with a series of interviews lashing out at the country's military government and its proposed constitution." which they reported on 24th February ? whistling.gif

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/02/thaksin-thai-military-government-long-160223053538667.html

also confirmed in other media ...

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/22/thailand-thaksin-shinawatra-draft-constitution-is-charade

or http://www.wsj.com/articles/thailands-former-leader-thaksin-shinawatra-says-juntas-election-plans-a-charade-1456043195

or Reuters in http://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-politics-thaksin-idUSKCN0VX0PA

Perhaps they were all making it up, as "he had kept his silence all along". laugh.png

Who cares. The country is in this shit anyway

Thanks for reminding me this topic is on Thaksin.

Thaksin didn't deny, he only said he didn't need to. The 'calender' issue got lots of posters into 'democracy' mood, till it was clear to all that it was politics as usual instead and the 'all innocent line' had lost is believability. With the Thaksin meddling in 'peace talks' we had the same. I think it was a too early departed friend who tried to convince me I wouldn't be able to prove Thaksin did such thing because Thaksin wouldn't do such thing. Thaksin only non-denied "who am I to do such". Well, I won't tell you what I think he is, but half a year later it came out he did do such. His PM sister at that time also non-denied.

Enough context on Thaksin's non-denials and believability for you or would you like to know more wink.png

Your rhetoric is especially obtuse today.

Let's go back to the article at hand. The first two sentences are

Fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has denied Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha’s accusation that he was the man behind all the anti-government activities in the country.

He also denied that he hired foreign lobbyists to tarnish the image of Thailand.

I interpret that to mean a "denial" of the accusations, not a "non-denial".

You're becoming more detached from reality. The protests were fading, as was the violence. Tourism took it's biggest hit after the coup, and in spite of the stories hyping the wonderful Chinese tourists, many tourism dependent businesses have yet to recover. The economy has stagnated since the coup.

Yingluck was no longer PM. The PTP government was attempting to hold an election in July 2014 when both it and the ironically misnamed Democrats were at a low point in popularity. Democracy had a tenuous foothold and a chance to advance. Then there was the coup.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, the coup was staged to ensure the "right" people had a secure grip on power during and after an upcoming event. It wasn't staged for noble "save the country" reasons, it was staged out of pure self-interest for a small minority of the country.

Pure speculation. It was staged to wipe the Shin's off the political arena full stop. Since 2006 they the PAD yellow shirts have been trying everything to get rid of Thaksin. The elite want Thailand to stay the same as it always has been, like Victorian England. The army is the force, just one cog in the elites machine. It is the elite that ordered the coup. Above the elite are the unmentionables. To form a connection between each cog in the machine is wrong. The unmentionables are totally seperate from the elite. The elite is the manipulator of the army cog that's job is to rid Thailand of the Thaksin machine. The elite installed Abhisit before and want a similar result in 2017. Imo.

Jaimie I think everyone has woken up and realised everything is much worse now and next year will be even more and terrible too.

This clown is just another in a long line of clowns and is forcing decent people and those who really like this place to leave ... seems only the impoverished are staying. Or desperate. I am taking my whole tahi staff to the Philippines as evebn they do not wnat to stay as they feel things are going to get very heated. So why would 10 thais say that?

Hmmm I wonder maybe we should ask that luminary Gen Prayuth.

Yes, but but but

I've yet to see one of these protests which he's supposed to be responsible for, unless Mr P's referring to red bowls, calendars, hitting the 'Like' button on Facebook, going to a park by train, expressing a personal opinion on the charter, reading a book or eating a sandwich.

Thaksin is a convict criminal. During past year he always try to destabilize Thailand for is own interest

And of course Prayuth only wants happiness for his people? He has failed miserably. Speak to the Thai people in Private and you will hear growing sympathy for Thaksin. They feel he brought business and chinese business is only befitting a select few. More than Mr T who I feel from listening is getting more favourable with thia people as they feel HE DID SOME thing and this whacko only yacks and does nothing. No decent country wants him either. Go home now we are busy they say

When you see what the rich and famous can get away with in Thailand it is easy to see how the rural poor feel that there is one law for the rich and one for the poor. I do believe however that when they allowed themselves to be conned into voting thaksin into power they made a great mistake, somewhat akin to voting for the fox to look after the chickens. They do have a legitimate grievance, but letting themselves be manipulated by this man is not going to solve their problems. Far better for them to completely distance themselves from the whole family and come up with a viable representative (not motor mouth either !). Incidentally I do believe Charlie Manson has never admitted his guilt, a basic rule among crooks sad.png

Not just Thailand. Have you read about the Panama Papers recently? EEKS.

Jaimie I think everyone has woken up and realised everything is much worse now and next year will be even more and terrible too.

This clown is just another in a long line of clowns and is forcing decent people and those who really like this place to leave ... seems only the impoverished are staying. Or desperate. I am taking my whole tahi staff to the Philippines as evebn they do not wnat to stay as they feel things are going to get very heated. So why would 10 thais say that?

Hmmm I wonder maybe we should ask that luminary Gen Prayuth.

Because the army is selling fear. Told to do so foreign businesses shut and the Thai elite get all the business, no competition. Fear is used by government as a tool to manipulate peoples opinions.

"Thaksin said that he had kept his silence all along and stopped making any comments"

So Al-Jazeera are fabricating claims such as "After nearly two years of relative quiet, Thaksin Shinawatra, Thailand's controversial former prime minister, has gone on a media offensive with a series of interviews lashing out at the country's military government and its proposed constitution." which they reported on 24th February ? whistling.gif

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/02/thaksin-thai-military-government-long-160223053538667.html

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/22/thailand-thaksin-shinawatra-draft-constitution-is-charade

or http://www.wsj.com/articles/thailands-former-leader-thaksin-shinawatra-says-juntas-election-plans-a-charade-1456043195

or Reuters in http://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-politics-thaksin-idUSKCN0VX0PA

Perhaps they were all making it up, as "he had kept his silence all along". laugh.png

He's obsessed more than us on Thai politics. Every interview he has done since running away is about Thai politics. I saw he has done some interviews that are over 2 hours long in English. He could talk about politics until the cows come home. Kept his silence, you can't shut him up! Cut out his tongue might do it, if they catch the slippery toad!!! Edited by Wilsonandson

He's obsessed more than us on Thai politics. Ever interview he has done since running away is about Thai politics. I saw he has done some interviews that are over 2 hours long in English. He could talk about politics until the cows come home. Kept his silence, you can't shut him up! Cut out his tongue might do it, if they catch the slippery toad!!!

Gee, I mean come on, politics made him a billionaire. Well and business sense / corruption of course, but without the connections that politics created for him he would not be in this position.

Of course he is talking politics, you think the people interviewing him are asking about his opinion on the beauty of Thai islands? :)

Edited by lkv

He's obsessed more than us on Thai politics. Every interview he has done since running away is about Thai politics. I saw he has done some interviews that are over 2 hours long in English. He could talk about politics until the cows come home. Kept his silence, you can't shut him up! Cut out his tongue might do it, if they catch the slippery toad!!!
Well. given that he is a Thai politician ( elected) who was deposed by a military coup. and given that his party has since twice been elected and twice been forced out by the military, I can rather understand his obsession.