Woman driver ignores dodgy second hand motor warning - ends up in a klong

rooster59

Woman driver ignores dodgy second hand motor warning - ends up in a klong

post-247607-0-33035800-1461390185_thumb.
Image: Daily News

BANGKOK:-- A Thai woman who ignored a relative's warning about a faulty accelerator ended up driving into a Bangkok klong with her five year old son. Only the quick actions of a kind group of motorcycle taxi boys averted a tragedy.

Miss Aromrat, 31, (no surname supplied) said that the accelerator pedal got stuck as she was entering a bridge over Klong Prapa in the Prachacheun Road area of Bang Seu , northern Bangkok on Friday, reports Daily News

She had only bought the second hand Toyota Vigo pick-up on the second of this month and a relative who had tried out the vehicle warned her that the accelerator was faulty and she might have an accident but "as she was a woman" she ignored the advice.

Police who were called to the scene found Aromrat and her five year old son wet to the skin and in a state of shock. A four metre stretch of protective railing had been damaged and the Vigo was in the klong.

Aromrat said that she had been out shopping and turned onto the bridge. Her son was sleeping in the vehicle. She let the accelerator come up to slow down but it was stuck causing her to smash through the railings and end up in the klong.

As the truck started sinking she managed to open a window and escape before clutching on to the side of the bridge. She yelled for help and a large group of motorcycle taxi riders responded gallantly rescuing her son from the pick up as water poured in through a broken window.

Aromrat told police she had ignored her relatives advice: "I am just a woman and I don't know anything about these things," she said. "I reckoned it would probably be OK so I just went ahead and drove it without doing anything about it."

Source: Daily News

tvn.png
-- 2016-04-23

but "as she was a woman" she ignored the advice. They got that part right whistling.gif "I am just a woman and I don't know anything about these things," different to my Mrs she knows everything facepalm.gif

Edited by tracker1

Reality writes the best "fun" stories.

Good that they went unharmed.

Were we too panicked to use a clutch (if any) and a brake?

Automatic: push to N and brake?

If all fails brake only and kill the engine?

But stop: "she is just a woman".

Again I notice: not a single chapter about a cars technical functions (interrelations) in the one day "driving lessons" at DLT that I could remember.

All self-taught biggrin.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

Again I notice: not a single chapter about a cars technical functions (interrelations) in the one day "driving lessons" at DLT that I could remember.

Your posts are really always great. But to kill the engine, you gotta be an experienced driver to react in a very short time. I know i would. thumbsup.gif

You talk like this woman has had any driving lessons or understands anything other than how to start and stop a vehicle and to push the go or the stop pedal when needed. As long as they can make a car go forward then that is enough for a Thai person to think that they are a knowledgeable driver and cannot be told anything more.

but "as she was a woman" she ignored the advice. They got that part right whistling.gif "I am just a woman and I don't know anything about these things," different to my Mrs she knows everything facepalm.gif

I just don't understand Google's business plan. They could hire a few thai women who know everything about everything (mine included) and they would save millions on overpriced engineers who sit down all day and devise search algorithms biggrin.png

sometimes I think Saudi Arabia has the right idea!

By banning all Thais from working in the country, or by banning women from driving? Or both?

By making all the women wear burqas. Farangs doth protest.

Let all the men where them too, fair is fair. This farang will not protest in that case;)

"...as she was a woman..."

Who the heck voiced/thought that? The woman? The people around her? The "journalist" of this article?

Again, very sloppy writing. Disgusting, actually. post-4641-1156693976.gif

Edited by Fookhaht

sometimes I think Saudi Arabia has the right idea!

By banning all Thais from working in the country, or by banning women from driving? Or both?

By making all the women wear burqas. Farangs doth protest.

Hey the burqas save many men from seeing VERY UGLY women wai.gif

Sounds like she lifted her foot off the accelerator and it all went klong.

I'm skeptical about that part. Sounds like she can't drive and is positioning herself to blame the car company like with Toyota a couple of years ago. The article says she bought the car earlier this month. Maybe a first-time driver? The first time I drove my accelerator pedal was dodgy too. :)

I do believe the part about being wet to the skin though. Good reportage, well done.

Edited by ChidlomDweller

Nice of the relative selling her a car that he/she knew was faulty and potentially dangerous. At least he/she told her. Might have been better getting it fixed though, don't you think, before selling it? A few hundred baht would have covered it. But in the usual Thai way, it was somebody else's problem.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

Nice reason for truck problem and all the family and friend tell same story. If the peddle was bad if it ever was why did they let her drive this truck. This whole family should be arrested for being to dumb or lieing.

My Mrs, who also knows everything, except where France is and who the Beatles are, tells me she has to cross her legs to get the "right feet" on the "right pedals" of an automatic. I let her do the driving as then she can sort out any insurance claims.I just keep my fingers crossed.