Prince death “not suicide” say officials

rooster59

Obviously a musical genius and also obviously kind of strange. Staying in Minneapolis after becoming a superstar? That is not normal.

In what way was he a musical genius JT?

An average guitar player, with simple lyrics.

Too stupid attempt at a baiting post to respond to.

But you just did

Elvis was a dedicated, nice guy, hard working, highly talented guy who died of a drug overdose. In some of his last performances you can tell he was high, but he never lost his voice or his talent.

I saw him several times in Las Vegas and Lake Tahoe and toward the end he was overweight, stumbling and mumbling, even forgetting words to some of his greatest hits, but he was still the greatest performer I've ever seen live. I never saw Prince.

These guys come out of nowhere and are showered with money and adulation and fame and it's hard to remain normal. They have no idea where to put all of that. A guy who starts a small business and grows it to huge success has time and experience as he goes to learn how to handle it. He also has a business talent that a singer might not have.

I don't know what happened so all I can say beyond that is RIP.

Obviously a musical genius and also obviously kind of strange. Staying in Minneapolis after becoming a superstar? That is not normal.

I ask again JT...in what what way was he a musical genius in your opinon?

Just asking and value your opinion.

Edited by Mudcrab

In the other thread people were warned to stop trolling. One person has been suspended.

The same applies to this topic. Stay on topic and be respectful both to the deceased and to other posters.

I ask again JT...in what what way was he a musical genius in your opinon?

Just asking and value your opinion.

In my opinion, though you never asked for it, one man's musical genius is another man's musical garbage.

In other words it's a personal opinion.

If Justin Bieber carked it, the teeny boppers would go hysterical over the loss of a 'musical genius' whilst the rest would call him (whatever applies insert here).

...and who knows, one of those 2000 unreleased Prince tracks may be a gem.

Apparently he overdosed on Percocet on his private plane a few days before he died and had to be taken to a hospital for a "save-shot" which is ususally administered to combat opiate OD's. According to some news report he's been addicted to Percocet since he had hip replacement surgery in 2011. So this looks very much like an overdose to me. Probably in combination with some other medication down the line of Michael Jackson. The autopsy report will be out soon enough.

Edited by pacovl46

Sure is a lot of unfounded speculation here. I met him, I have friends who spend a lot of time with him and the informed opinion is that he wasn't interested in any recreational drugs.

He was as into drugs as the old conservative codgers here are who are quick to suggest "life in prison, execute them like they do in Singapore " whenever there's a story here about someone getting arrested with a joint, except Prince didn't have a hang em high attitude, it just wasn't something he was interested in.

I didn't follow him that closely but he's had the physique of a snake since high school and never weighed over 60 kg, he didn't appear to me to have changed much over the past few decades.

Accidental prescription drug od maybe, heroin, very unlikely.

It is interesting how everyone I know and people I grew up up with in the music industry hold and have always held Price in the highest regard for creativity and talent. It just seems that a bunch of bitter old fools with nothing better to do than be bitter, judgmental and critical feel it necessary to criticize him personally and criticize his talent. Really? If if the guy was not your style or taste, is it truly necessary to be so negative in life. OD, illegal drugs or natural causes. Who cares. It is really none of ur business anyway and he owed us absolutely nothing.

Who does one define talent? Success? Staying power? Popularity? Respect among peers? Record sales? Ability to sell out arenas year after year?

Everyone from Mick Jagger to Miles Davis held him in the highest regard. It doesn't matter what genre musicians are from. There views are similar.

Mick Jagger saying his "talent was limitless" and he was "revolutionary."

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/21/prince-dead-mick-jagger-tribute

Miles Davis on Price:

http://qz.com/667172/watch-miles-davis-explains-princes-singular-talent/

Then we have crusty old crab . . .

Worth mentioning, one of Prince's ex's -- the singer Vanity -- also died earlier this year, of kidney failure related to what was said to be years of drug abuse during her performing years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanity_%28singer%29

But Apollonia and Sheila E are still kicking....

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

They didn't actually say it wasn't suicide. Only that they couldn't see signs of suicide.

He was suffering from acute pain and being a Jehovah's Witness may have stopped him having an op to cure that pain.

Maybe too many painkillers .. We'll soon find out from toxicology tests

the comment he made at a party to well wishers a few days prior was very telling IMO

Edited by Cook my sock

Just watched the movie Purple Rain. It's about the most anguished thing I've ever seen. Anguish must be his thing. On the evidence of that film (which is quite misogynistic), he must have been firmly in the closet, so it's perhaps not surprising.

I had wondered why they brought up suicide - almost as if some had been expecting it...

He was the 'Artist formerly known as Prince' now the 'Former artist known as the Symbol'.

Was reading up on him, he became addicted to painkillers due to back/hip injuries sustained from years of gyrating around the stage in high heels.

Take note ladies.

Do not gyrate around stages in high heels!

He also leaves a legacy of 2000 songs never released, some in collaboration with famous singers/songwriters. Whomever inherits the estate will inherit the collection.

Bound to be some intellectual property lawsuits if they are released as people want their cut.

R.I.P I enjoyed some of his stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYVOrzv61Yg

When Doves Cry is among the finest hits created in the 80's , that's for sure.

You don't have to like him but it shouldnt be so hard to understand he is among the greatest artists from that period. Also his later albums were great , at least his millions of fans think so .

Edited by balo

I dont exactly understand why, with many of these guys, many musicians, they can pump out the hits, in their teens and twenties

But seem to be incapable for decades afterwards to produce anything of any quality

Even Mozart was guilty of that

I dont exactly understand why, with many of these guys, many musicians, they can pump out the hits, in their teens and twenties

But seem to be incapable for decades afterwards to produce anything of any quality

Maybe that is because you have no idea where to look!

Prince was making music all the time with some excellent pieces and A1- hit material...only not in the usual, widely known ways.

I think its because at the start they have an original niche sound that seperates them from others.

As they go on and eventually exhaust their ideas the format becomes stale and its hard to come up with anything else original unless they go into a completely different genre of music.

I like to think i can appreciate all music as an art form but i must admit i wasnt captivated by anything he did.

It all seemed to be the same song, same tempo rehashed slightly to make new material.

You must give respect to someone who can play many instruments though i am suprised to hear claims of 'best guitarist in the world' and so on.

If Eric Clapton really said that it must have been very tongue in cheek; else he was very very wasted

I always thought purps guitar style was pretty wooden at best

Apparently this thread is only about his death and not the music or other artists, as communicated to me. So, the Daily Mail are reporting he died of AIDS, would not be at all surprised if true

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3562640/Prince-diagnosed-AIDs-six-months-died-refused-treatment-believed-God-heal-him.html

Well, I also wouldn't be surprised if he had HIV disease, and that's relevant to the findings of his death, but even if he did, it doesn't follow that he necessarily died of that.

I never enjoyed his music and simply cannot see where all the plaudits come from.

Thats just me.....great for you guys who loved him.

I didn't.

Look at Prince close out this song with his guitar solo. I never cared much for prince either but he could play some. Also just look at what wiki says about the guy he was talented for sure, maybe will even go on to be recognized as one of the greatest of our time. Once again I don't care for his music but enough people in the know give him praise.

Edited by anotheruser