Trump, Clinton aim for sweeps of Northeastern primaries

webfact

Trump, Clinton aim for sweeps of Northeastern primaries
By JULIE PACE and CATHERINE LUCEY

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Looking to stretch their leads, Republican Donald Trump and Democrat Hillary Clinton aimed for a sweep of all five Northeastern states holding primaries Tuesday. Their rivals vowed to fight on regardless, even with their paths to nomination increasingly narrow.

For Clinton, wins in most of the states holding contests — Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania and Rhode Island — would leave little doubt that she'll be her party's nominee. She's already been looking past Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, barely mentioning him at campaign events except to push for party unity in a general election.

During a town hall Monday with MSNBC, Clinton said that when she lost the 2008 Democratic primary to Barack Obama, "I did not put down conditions" for supporting him.

"I hope that we will see the same this year," she said.

According to exit polls, about a fifth of Democratic voters said they would not support Clinton if she gets the nomination. The exit polls were conducted in Connecticut, Pennsylvania and Maryland.

Sanders' senior adviser Tad Devine said that campaign would "wait and see what the numbers are" in Tuesday's contest before making any decisions about strategy going forward. Still he said, "Bernie is going to be in this race through the District of Columbia." That's the end of the primary season.

Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid said Sanders should do as he thinks best. But when Reid was asked if he thought his Senate colleague still had a path to nomination, he said, "No, I do not."

Democrats are competing for 384 delegates in Tuesday's contests, while Republicans have 172 up for grabs.

While Trump holds a substantial lead in the Republican delegate count, the GOP contest continues to be chaotic. The businessman is the only one left in the GOP race who can reach the 1,237 delegates needed to clinch the nomination before the July national convention, but he could very well fall short, pushing the nominating fight to the party's July gathering in Cleveland.

Of the five states voting Tuesday, Trump can afford to lose only one and still retain a chance to reach his goal.

Pennsylvania Republican voter Laura Seyler cast her vote for Trump, saying she believes he will "take the bat and straighten things out."

"I don't think he's afraid, he doesn't owe anybody anything, and I think he's very much an American that loves his country, and he sees Americans suffering," she said.

Texas Sen. Ted Cruz and Ohio Gov. John Kasich are now joining forces to try to stop him. Their loose alliance marks a stunning shift in particular for Cruz, who has called on Kasich to drop out of the race and has confidently touted the strength of his own convention strategy.

Kasich has won just a single primary — his home state — but hopes to convince convention delegates that he's the only Republican capable of defeating Clinton.

Under their new arrangement, Kasich won't compete for votes in Indiana, allowing Cruz to take Trump on head to head in the state's May 3 primary. Cruz will do the same for Kasich in Oregon and New Mexico.

Trump panned his rivals' strategy as "pathetic" and another example of what he's called a rigged political system.

Cruz and Kasich's public acknowledgement of their coordination underscores the limited options they now have. The effectiveness of the strategy was quickly called into question after Kasich said that while he won't spend resources in Indiana, his supporters in the state should still vote for him.

Exit polls underscored the divisions in the Republican Party. In Pennsylvania, nearly 4 in 10 GOP voters said they would be excited by Trump becoming president, while the ideas scares a quarter of those who cast ballots in the state's Republican primary.

The exit polls were conducted by Edison Research for The Associated Press and television networks.

Trump's path to nomination before the national convention remains difficult, requiring him to win 58 percent of the remaining delegates to reach the magic number by the end of the primaries. He's hoping for a solid victory in Pennsylvania, though the state's unique ballot could make it hard for any candidate to win a big majority.

While the statewide Republican winner gets 17 delegates, the other 54 are directly elected by voters and can support any candidate at a convention. Their names are listed on the ballot with no information about which White House hopeful they support.

Clinton is on solid footing in the Democratic race and entered Tuesday's contests having accumulated 82 percent of the delegates needed to win her party's nomination. While she can't win enough delegates to officially knock Sanders out of the race this week, she can erase any lingering doubts about her standing.

Including superdelegates, Clinton now leads Sanders 1,946 to 1,192, according to a count by the AP.
___

Pace reported from Washington. Associated Press writers Michael Rubinkam in Hamburg, Pennsylvania, and Ken Thomas, Chad Day, Stephen Ohlemacher and Hope Yen in Washington contributed to this report.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-04-27

Structurally fragmented and ideologically incoherent the Republican party struggles to the finish of the Grand Old Party as a political entity. The rise of Donald Trump is the frosting on the hate cake. The defeat of Cruz will forever burst the bubble that the GOP can win the presidency by moving hard-right. All the terrible Republican candidates are toast. Stick a fork in em, they're done.

Good riddance.

Trump routs rivals in Northeast; Clinton carries four states
By JULIE PACE and CATHERINE LUCEY

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — In a front-runner's rout, Republican Donald Trump roared to victory Tuesday in five contests across the Northeast and confidently declared himself the GOP's "presumptive nominee." Hillary Clinton was dominant in four Democratic races and now is 90 percent of the way to the number she needs to claim her own nomination.

Trump's and Clinton's wins propelled them ever closer to a general election showdown. Still, Sanders and Republicans Ted Cruz and John Kasich, vowed to keep running, even as opportunities to topple the leaders dwindle.

Trump still must negotiate a narrow path to keep from falling short of the delegates needed to seal the nomination before the Republican National Convention in July. Cruz and Kasich are working toward that result, which would leave Trump open to a floor fight in which delegates could turn to someone else.

Trump was having none of that. "It's over. As far as I'm concerned it's over," he declared at his victory rally in the lobby of Trump Tower in New York. He now has 77 percent of the delegates he needs.

With Clinton's four victories — she ceded only Rhode Island to Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders — she now has 90 percent of the delegates she needs to become the first woman nominated by a major party. Clinton kept her focus firmly on the general election as she spoke to supporters Tuesday night, urging Sanders' loyal supporters to help her unify the Democratic Party and reaching out to GOP voters who may be unhappy with their party's options.

"If you are a Democrat, an independent or a thoughtful Republican, you know that their approach is not going to build an America where we increase opportunity or decrease inequality," Clinton said of the GOP candidates. She spoke in Philadelphia, where Democrats will gather in July for their nominating convention.

Sanders, in an interview with The Associated Press, conceded that he has a "very narrow path and we're going to have to win some big victories."

Trump's victories in Maryland, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Delaware and Rhode Island were overwhelming, winning his closest race by just about 30 points. The businessman is the only candidate left in the three-person race who could possibly clinch the nomination through the regular voting process. Yet with 950 delegates now, he could still fall short of the 1,237 he needs.

Cruz and Kasich are desperately trying to keep Trump from that magic number and push the race to a convention fight. The Texas senator and Ohio governor even took the rare step of announcing plans to coordinate in upcoming contests to try to minimize Trump's delegate totals.

That effort did little to stop Trump from a big showing in the Northeast, where he picked up at least 105 of the 118 delegates up for grabs. Despite his solid win in Pennsylvania, the state's primary system means 54 of the delegates elected by voters will be free agents at the GOP convention, able to vote for the candidate of their choice.

Cruz spent Tuesday in Indiana, which votes next week. Indiana is one of Cruz's last best chances to slow Trump, and Kasich's campaign is pulling out of the state to give him a better opportunity to do so.

"Tonight this campaign moves back to more favorable terrain," Cruz said during an evening rally in Knightstown, Indiana. His event was held at the "Hoosier gym," where some scenes were filmed for the 1986 movie, "Hoosiers," about a small town Indiana basketball team that wins the state championship.

Trump has railed against his rivals' coordination, panning it as a "faulty deal" and has also cast efforts to push the nomination fight to the convention as evidence of a rigged process that favors political insiders.

Yet there's no doubt the GOP is deeply divided by his candidacy. In Pennsylvania, exit polls showed nearly 4 in 10 GOP voters said they would be excited by Trump becoming president, but the prospect of the real estate mogul in the White House scared a quarter of those who cast ballots in the state's Republican primary.

In another potential general election warning sign for Republicans, 6 in 10 GOP voters in Pennsylvania said the Republican campaign has divided the party — a sharp contrast to the 7 in 10 Democratic voters in the state who said the race between Clinton and Sanders has energized their party.

The exit polls were conducted by Edison Research for The Associated Press and television networks.

Democrats award delegates proportionally, which allowed Clinton to maintain her lead over Sanders even as he rattled off a string of wins in recent contests. According to the AP count, Clinton now has 2,137 delegates while Sanders has 1,306.

That count includes delegates won in primaries and caucuses, as well as superdelegates — party insiders who can back the candidate of their choice, regardless of how their state votes.

Sanders has vowed to stay in the race until voting wraps up in June. He continues to raise millions of dollars and attract big crowds, including Tuesday night in West Virginia, where he urged his supporters to recognize that they are "powerful people if you choose to exercise that power."

Clinton's advisers are eager for the Vermont senator to tone down his attacks on the former secretary of state. She's been reminding voters of the 2008 Democratic primary, when she endorsed Barack Obama after a tough campaign and urged her supporters to rally around her former rival.

___

Pace reported from Washington. Associated Press writers Michael Rubinkam in Hamburg, Pennsylvania, and Ken Thomas, Laurie Kellman, Chad Day, Stephen Ohlemacher and Hope Yen in Washington contributed to this report.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-04-27

Landslide, TRUMP winning BIG!!!!!! TRUMP the only choice that makes sense.

Not only make America safe and great again, make America better than ever before!!!

I'm with you...

A new twist on politics....one man bucking a... "Rigged" ...system

Go donny go. If he wins...I am going to repatriate.

Edited by slipperylobster

Landslide, TRUMP winning BIG!!!!!! TRUMP the only choice that makes sense.

Not only make America safe and great again, make America better than ever before!!!

"the only choice that makes sense" ?!? Yea, here's Trump making cents sense....

"Women who seek abortions should be punished"

"We're going to build a great big wall, and Mexico will pay for it" (yea, with turnstiles and ticket takers at holes in the wall? Or maybe Mexican government mailing smily-face pinatas full of cash to: Donald and Melania Trump, 1600 Pennsylvania Blvd, Wash D.C. 20010)

"She's a fat pig"

"your breath smells awful. Did anyone ever tell you that?"

When asked which foot had bone spurs, which enabled Trump to skip going to VN, five times; "I can't remember, ok? It's in the record. Look it up."

"Americans have the highest tax rates in the world" (not true. At least 7 countries have higher rates.)

Hillary did very well, about as expected.

Trump beat expectations.

I am already ALL IN for Trump to destroy the republican party.

So this is great news.

It's pretty clear at this point that both the republican party and country needs to get the Trump poison out of their system.

That can only happen if he is nominated and then MASSACRED (politically speaking).

Edited by Jingthing

Trump - the only candidate whose strings aren't being pulled by donors, banks, Wall Street and the political establishment. Funding his own campaign with his own money.

Trump is world class at getting mega loans. Whether he pays them back, is anybody's guess. He says he's loaning money to himself for the campaign. Translated, I think that means he's borrowing money. If he loses will he pay back the lenders? Did he pay the $5 million to a charity that he promised Obama, when Obama showed the world his birth certificate. Obvious answer: No. Trump is no more reliable about oaths, than he was to oaths of marriage to his first two wives.

And some people are fine with a man like that holding the purse strings to the US spending. A man whose mantra is: "borrow, borrow, borrow, like there's no f'ing tomorrow." When it comes time to pay back personal or national debt, Trump can use his other mantra; "delay, delay delay" Yea, the one he used to obstruct Obama's Constitutional duty to appoint a nominee for S.C. Justice.

Trump is to political establishment what Lady Gaga is to divas. He's in like Flint. Every day for the past 50 years he's rubbed shoulders and made inside deals with politicians. It would be like Al Capone saying, "Sure I pay taxes. Everything I do is legal. You wanna question me, huh? Maybe you want someone to show up at your house tonight and break both your kneecaps with a baseball bat. Would you like that? huh?"

"Yet there's no doubt the GOP is deeply divided by his candidacy. In Pennsylvania, exit polls showed nearly 4 in 10 GOP voters said they would be excited by Trump becoming president, but the prospect of the real estate mogul in the White House scared a quarter of those who cast ballots in the state's Republican primary."

and yet, nearly 7 in 10 voted for him. gotta love one-sided exit polls. whistling.gif

Trump - the only candidate whose strings aren't being pulled by donors, banks, Wall Street and the political establishment. Funding his own campaign with his own money.

Trump is world class at getting mega loans. Whether he pays them back, is anybody's guess. He says he's loaning money to himself for the campaign. Translated, I think that means he's borrowing money. If he loses will he pay back the lenders? Did he pay the $5 million to a charity that he promised Obama, when Obama showed the world his birth certificate. Obvious answer: No. Trump is no more reliable about oaths, than he was to oaths of marriage to his first two wives.

And some people are fine with a man like that holding the purse strings to the US spending. A man whose mantra is: "borrow, borrow, borrow, like there's no f'ing tomorrow." When it comes time to pay back personal or national debt, Trump can use his other mantra; "delay, delay delay" Yea, the one he used to obstruct Obama's Constitutional duty to appoint a nominee for S.C. Justice.

Trump is to political establishment what Lady Gaga is to divas. He's in like Flint. Every day for the past 50 years he's rubbed shoulders and made inside deals with politicians. It would be like Al Capone saying, "Sure I pay taxes. Everything I do is legal. You wanna question me, huh? Maybe you want someone to show up at your house tonight and break both your kneecaps with a baseball bat. Would you like that? huh?"

Garbage.\

Trump is a billionaire. Get real.

Garbage.\

And you point is.....? Look, if you can't retort to what I've written, then leave it alone. Being a billionaire is being part of the establishment. It also entails constantly making deals with politicians and sometimes, if you're doing big deals in NYC, also with mafia. SL, try to articulate, even if it's a strain on the brain. Then we can get a better idea of what you're trying to convey.

Trump can shout all day and night saying, "I'm worth billions and billions, alright. I'm very very rich." ....but that doesn't mean it's true. Some assessments of his worth put him at under a billion. Trump's assessments attribute wild values to the value of his name in licensing. BTW: his name value is tanking. Look it up. Business people are dropping contracts to pay to use his name.

Garbage.\

And you point is.....? Look, if you can't retort to what I've written, then leave it alone. Being a billionaire is being part of the establishment. It also entails constantly making deals with politicians and sometimes, if you're doing big deals in NYC, also with mafia. SL, try to articulate, even if it's a strain on the brain. Then we can get a better idea of what you're trying to convey.

Trump can shout all day and night saying, "I'm worth billions and billions, alright. I'm very very rich." ....but that doesn't mean it's true. Some assessments of his worth put him at under a billion. Trump's assessments attribute wild values to the value of his name in licensing. BTW: his name value is tanking. Look it up. Business people are dropping contracts to pay to use his name.

I do not feel the need to put up a lengthy retort. Your input was that he is irresponsible with money.

Now...you are the only person I know that is trying to make him look that way. The man is successful, and knows how to run his finances....no matter what you think.

There is no issue here.

I do not feel the need to put up a lengthy retort. Your input was that he is irresponsible with money.

Now...you are the only person I know that is trying to make him look that way. The man is successful, and knows how to run his finances....no matter what you think.

There is no issue here.

I do say he's irresponsible with money, and he's a liar to boot. he says he only rec'd one loan from his daddy, and it was $1 million (when his dad tried to keep Trump's casino from tanking). Trump left High School with a cool $2.5 million. He said he earned that working part-time for his dad. Who saves up $2.5 million working a part-time summer job in one season? Trump has garnered at least $30 million from loans which his daddy co-signed. Wow, that's an easy way to get money! He's had more losing businesses than winners. Don't believe little ol' me, go ahead and count 'em. There are probably other skeletons in his financial closet that the general public hasn't heard about yet. Dems haven't even begun to take off the gloves for the real competition, which leads up to November. Dems (except for late night political satire TV hosts) have been sitting back, waiting for the right time to release their ammo. Trump ain't seen nothin' yet. His dirty laundry would fill a tugboat.

It was General Jackson who famously said to his ragtag army, as the Redcoats were lumbering along fields south of New Orleans, heading to the city: "don't shoot until you see the whites of their eyes!"

Partly because Trump has been such a rude and blustering candidate, he will deserve all the mud and tar which sticks to him. He's essentially asked for it.

Who gives a rats derriere how "rich" Trump really is or whether he took money from his father. Suffice it to say, he's likely richer than 99.9% of the population. If the point is that he boasts about himself and his money well...yes....that's covered ground....It's been part of his delivery since long before he became a candidate.

Who gives a rats derriere how "rich" Trump really is or whether he took money from his father. Suffice it to say, he's likely richer than 99.9% of the population. If the point is that he boasts about himself and his money well...yes....that's covered ground....It's been part of his delivery since long before he became a candidate.

As an American, I give a rat's ass if the most powerful man representing my country is a habitual liar. Maybe it's fine with you.

He's a lot more unpleasant things besides being a liar, but you asked, and I answered. If you want a list of the other unpresidential and ungentlemanly things Trump is, just let me know. I'm known for making lists on T.Visa. I'll say it again, he's got more negatives than a 1960's photo shop. That's an original, btw.

As an American, I give a rat's ass if the most powerful man representing my country is a habitual liar. Maybe it's fine with you.......

"

Your assessment of Trumps honesty is speculative and tainted by your bias. Hillary is a known habitual liar yet you would be happy with her I'm sure.