Ted Cruz taps Carly Fiorina to serve as running mate

webfact

Ted Cruz taps Carly Fiorina to serve as running mate
By SCOTT BAUER and STEVE PEOPLES

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — In need of momentum after a five-state shutout, Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz on Wednesday tapped former technology executive Carly Fiorina — a woman he said has repeatedly "shattered glass ceilings" — to serve as his running mate.

The Texas senator announced his pick for vice president nearly three months before his party's national convention, an unusual move for an underdog candidate that reflects the increasing urgency for the fiery conservative to reverse his downward trajectory.

Cruz praised Fiorina's path from secretary to CEO and her past willingness to challenge GOP front-runner Donald Trump.

"Carly isn't intimated by bullies," he declared at an Indianapolis rally, adding, "Over and over again, Carly has shattered glass ceilings."

The 61-year-old Fiorina, a former chief executive of Hewlett-Packard, has been a prominent Cruz ally since shortly after abandoning her own presidential bid earlier in the year. She was the only woman in the Republican Party's crowded 2016 field.

"This is the fight of our time. And I believe Ted Cruz is the man to lead that fight," Fiorina said at the Wednesday announcement. "And I am prepared to stand by his side and give this everything I have, to restore the soul of our party, to defeat Donald Trump, to defeat Hillary Clinton, and to take our country back."

Fiorina's selection marked another extraordinary development in the 2016 Republican campaign, particularly for a candidate who is far from becoming his party's presumptive nominee. Cruz was soundly defeated by GOP front-runner Donald Trump in all five primaries contests on Tuesday, and he's been mathematically eliminated from winning the nomination before his party's national convention in July.

Some Cruz allies praised Fiorina's selection, but privately questioned if it would change the trajectory of the race. Trump has won 77 percent of the delegates he needs to claim the nomination, and a win next week in Indiana will keep him on a firm path to do so.

Cruz appeared with Fiorina in Indiana's capital city, having staked his candidacy on a win in the state's primary contest next Tuesday. Fiorina's California ties could also prove valuable in that state's high-stakes primary on June 7.

"Carly has incredible appeal to so many people, especially in California," said Doug De Groote, a fundraiser for Cruz based near Los Angeles. "She can really help him here."

Her first major foray into politics was in 2010, when she ran for Senate in California and lost to incumbent Sen. Barbara Boxer by 10 percentage points. She has never held elected office.

Trump called Fiorina "a nice woman," but criticized her selection as "ridiculous" and "dumb" even before it was announced.

"First of all, he shouldn't be naming anybody because he doesn't even have a chance," the New York billionaire said in a Wednesday interview on Fox News.

"Naming Carly's dumb, because Carly didn't do well. She had one good debate — not against me by the way, because I had an unblemished record of victories during debates — but she had one victory on the smaller stage and that was it," Trump said.

Throughout her presidential bid, Fiorina emphasized her meteoric rise in the business world. A Stanford University graduate, she started her career as a secretary, earned an MBA and worked her way up at AT&T to become a senior executive at the telecom leader.

She was also dogged by questions about her record at Hewlett-Packard, where she was hired as CEO in 1999. She was fired six years later, after leading a major merger with Compaq and laying off 30,000 workers.

Democrats quickly attacked the Cruz-Fiorina alliance.

"The best way to describe that ticket is mean and meaner," said Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., who beat Fiorina for Senate in 2010. "He wants to throw people out of the country and she threw thousands of jobs out of the country. Perfect match."

In an Associated Press-GfK poll conducted in December 2015, Republican voters were more likely to say they had a favorable than an unfavorable view of Fiorina by a 47 percent to 20 percent margin, with 32 percent unable to give a rating.

Among all Americans, 45 percent didn't know enough about Fiorina to rate her, while 22 percent rated her favorably and 32 percent unfavorably.

Cruz supporter Jim McAdams, who was wearing a homemade "Ted Cruz 16" shirt to the announcement event in Indianapolis, predicted the Fiorina pick would generate badly needed momentum. But the 74-year-old retired mechanical engineer conceded that Cruz is a longshot at this point.

"The only way he's going to get in office is divine intervention," McAdams said. "We pray for his campaign every day."

___

Peoples reported from Washington. AP writer Erica Werner in Washington contributed to this report.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-04-28

The next big news from the Republican camp will be Trump having Caribou Barbie as his running mate

Despite his praise for her I doubt that even he is that stupid but then nothing this guy says or does should surprise anyone. Bill Maher must be praying for it that would be the comedians dream ticket.

Good Call ~ To help a LOSER, he taps someone who's ran for political office twice and LOST, worked for 2 highly respected firms and was FIRED and all because he thinks it will help him steal delegates in CA and help him win at a convention that should never take place. Who in the heck wants someone like THAT to be POTUS?

Add to that the fact that the only other candidate is running 4th in a 3-man race. cheesy.gif

Go Donald!

Good Call ~ To help a LOSER, he taps someone who's ran for political office twice and LOST, worked for 2 highly respected firms and was FIRED and all because he thinks it will help him steal delegates in CA and help him win at a convention that should never take place. Who in the heck wants someone like THAT to be POTUS?

Add to that the fact that the only other candidate is running 4th in a 3-man race. cheesy.gif

Go Donald!

She may have broke ceilings and had an enviable rise up the corporate ladder.

But, she failed miserably as a CEO, cost thousands of people their jobs and wiped value off shareholder's funds.

Of course she was well reimbursed and rewarded when fired for being an expert in failure. No wonder she wants a career in politics where she can again be richly rewarded for non performance and then make even more money for talking about failure.

Good choice Ted. Choosing an even bigger failure.

Ted's getting ready for a rigged convention, its not about how you win, just that you do.

See Trump came out today saying he'd rather talk with China and Russia than to keep pushing them towards war, can see why the neocons hate him, no wonder they prefer war candidate Hillary.

The 27 funniest reactions to Ted Cruz picking Carly Fiorina for VP:

http://www.someecards.com/news/tweet-picks/funniest-reactions-cruz-fiorina/

My favorites:

"Ted Cruz names Carly Fiorina as VP so he can carry on the proud male Conservative tradition of blamin' women for their failures."

"Carly Fiorina is more than just a woman. She's a woman who talked to me, then later talked to me again."

"If Ted Cruz teams up with Carly Fiorina I will lose all of the respect I already didn't have for him."

I just hope Trump picks Palin.

I would pay good money for such comedy gold.

That would make for an interesting debate between the two of them.....kind of a remake of Dumb and Dumber...

It doesn't work like that.

There won't be such a VP pick debate within the same party.

VP's are picked after nomination.

Trump will not pick his until he is nominated.

Cruz did the pick because he's so desperate he lost the plot.

There is also no way Trump will VP Palin.

Even Trump is not that stupid.

Edited by Jingthing

One of the most hated males on the campaign-trail, picks the most hated woman on the campaign- trail to fight the hate mongerer in chief!

Too much hate for me!

True, Cruz is just too disgusting.

If it was down to Rubio vs. Trump now things might be different.

But getting beaten in his home state finished him off.

Cruz is just telling everyone that he's a loser with this sad and desperate clutching at a straw. He's have done better asking Palin to join him than that loser, except Palin would probably turn the loser down- she's not that stupid.

He just proved that he doesn't deserve to win, even if he had a chance.

I just hope Trump picks Palin.

I would pay good money for such comedy gold.

That would make for an interesting debate between the two of them.....kind of a remake of Dumb and Dumber...

It doesn't work like that.

There won't be such a VP pick debate within the same party.

VP's are picked after nomination.

Trump will not pick his until he is nominated.

Cruz did the pick because he's so desperate he lost the plot.

There is also no way Trump will VP Palin.

Even Trump is not that stupid.

I know that is not how it works, but it would be a very entertaining debate.