An eighty year old with Alzheimer's living on scraps at Samrong market needs help

webfact

An eighty year old with Alzheimer's living on scraps at Samrong market needs help

sam.jpg
Image: Thairath

SAMUT PRAKAN:-- An old woman with Alzheimer's who sleeps on a pile of rubbish and lives off scraps and meagre handouts has tugged at the heartstrings of Facebook users.

Thousands have shared the story of the 80 year old who lives behind Samrong fresh market and has been the victim of attack and theft.

Now concerned people at the market want someone to come and help her be reunited with her family or provide for her as they fear for her future.

The story of the lady was shared 4,500 times on social media. On the Lord Clips page her story was told as netizens commented that some organisation should come and help her. It was mentioned that wicked people had stolen what little she had and that she could not even remember her name though she repeated over and over that her son would soon come and collect her and take her home.

Reporters from newspaper ThaiRath went to see if it was true and found a pitiable sight. Though Lek could remember her name on this occasion she was sleeping amongst rubbish on a pile of bottles she collected to raise a few baht. She said she had been there for seven years and that her son owned a printing business in Bang Prong.

Reporters found that if they got too close she would flinch and look scared and say that she didn't have any money and to go and get it from someone else. They surmised this was a result of the attacks and thefts described on Facebook.

Phaniphat Buppha, 56, the owner of the toilets behind the market in Samut Prakarn, south east of Bangkok said: "She has been here at least four or five years. She used to live out the front of the market but was hounded back here. The market traders look after her with some rice and drinks and a little money but if bad people find out she has some money they rob her.

"She seems to have no relatives and we are asking for someone to come and help her or at least help her find some family members before something really bad happens to her."

Source: Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-04-29

This is not a unique story. Near my BTS stop (where brand new condos are being built 100 meters away) is a tin/cardboard roofed hovel occupied by an old Thai woman and about 5 inbred dogs (along with rats and other vermin). It is literally on the doorstep of the shiny new sales office for the condo project and one wonders why someone would not try and relocate and help this person. One thought is the person might not want to be moved (assuming the condo tried to buy the land) or the local headman of the neighborhood was not sufficiently remunerated for exerting some influence in the matter.

Not that I want to harp on , but the Health Department needs to worry more about this kind of continuing problem and public welfare , I say continue problem, because this is quite common , than worrying about rail crossing protection , leave that to the rail authorities and road traffic rest stops , leave that to the Highways Department and concentrate more on what you are supposed to do, care for the people, with a little luck some one will pick -up on this and take the appropriate action.............................................coffee1.gif ..

st vincent de paul do have some homes for the aged, i imagine other groups do as well.

sometimes those with her illness, if as described can be difficult to help.

waiting for her son to come and collect her, no matter where she is housed, it could cause her to wander.

poor old woman, many like her in many places.

This is not a unique story. Near my BTS stop (where brand new condos are being built 100 meters away) is a tin/cardboard roofed hovel occupied by an old Thai woman and about 5 inbred dogs (along with rats and other vermin). It is literally on the doorstep of the shiny new sales office for the condo project and one wonders why someone would not try and relocate and help this person. One thought is the person might not want to be moved (assuming the condo tried to buy the land) or the local headman of the neighborhood was not sufficiently remunerated for exerting some influence in the matter.

Assumption assumption assumption.

st vincent de paul do have some homes for the aged, i imagine other groups do as well.

sometimes those with her illness, if as described can be difficult to help.

waiting for her son to come and collect her, no matter where she is housed, it could cause her to wander.

poor old woman, many like her in many places.

There is a Foundation just outside Bangkok that takes in the infirm, homeless and sick who cannot look after themselves. My Wife and I recently took several bags of clothes there and it seemed to be well run. Sadly I do not live in Bangkok, but hope someone in the area can take her there so that she can have shelter and a decent level of care, bless her.

Alzheimer's in Thailand without caring relatives - it is a very tough situation. In its early stages, memory loss is mild, but with late-stage Alzheimer's, individuals lose the ability to carry on a conversation and respond to their environment. So even with relatives around it will be a tough situation - and for the caregivers there isn't likely a proper network in Thailand where they can share experience (correct me if I am mistaken).

Sadly for the lady it will just get worse and I don't think there are any(?) facilities in Thailand that caters for these patients. Life span after symptoms are noticeable is average 8 years, but I fear for this lady it may be shorter without proper attention.

Question is though whether it as actually Alzheimer's or another dementia such as vascular dementia (or even thyroid problems and vitamin deficiencies that can cause symptoms of dementia)?

It's heartbreaking seeing elderly people like this. The government should be ashamed of themselves.

Empathy is something that is seriously lacking all over the world.

"...seriously lacking all over the world. "

I'm glad you added that. It's hardly unique to Thailand.

In the US, arguably the richest country on the planet:

In some cities, there are so many homeless people wandering the streets that others barely notice anymore.

It’s an unfortunately common problem for people with Alzheimer’s to end up lost. But those who then vanish without a trace -– the people who cannot be located and are often never found –- constitute a rapidly growing crisis looming on the horizon for baby boomers and their loved ones.

“In Virginia, if an Alzheimer’s patient is not found in 24 hours, about 46 percent are found dead. In Nova Scotia, the mortality rate is 70 percent. In parts of California, we’ve never recovered a live Alzheimer’s patient after 24 hours,” Kelly said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/26/wandering-alzheimers-_n_3653267.html

Edited by Suradit69

Is there not an organisation in such a kind caring wealthy country as Thailand to offer some proper care for the sick and elderly,or is she just going to be found dead one day inamongst a load of empty plastic and rubbish

Is there not an organisation in such a kind caring wealthy country as Thailand to offer some proper care for the sick and elderly,or is she just going to be found dead one day inamongst a load of empty plastic and rubbish

There are situations like this in every country, including the USA. I ought to think the market vendors and organizers can arrange something if they wanted to but in Thailand it's all about family and if you don't have a daughter to take care of you (because sons generally do not take on that role) you are sunk. The Christian notion of "We are our brother's keeper" does not apply here.

Heartbreaking.

There is an old man in Khon Kaen that gets around with crotchless pants on the main streets of town. I have given him new pants to wear, but he never wears them.

My wife sees an old lady out the front of the street market in town as well and bought all her food thinking she could go home and be with her family. Thy lady was back again 20 minutes later selling something else.

We have tried and if I had the means I would help every poor Thai we see, but it just isn't possible.

Bless this poor lady. I wish I could help.

They care more about a dog than a human

Who is this "they?"

What a ridiculous, moronic, offensive comment to make.

Of course it is, I for one expect no less on this Forum, chances are that the posters don't live here, why would they with their Anti Thai rhetoric on all matters, it's like saying ALL Farangs are Fat, smelly, miserable old gits,,,,,,,,,ummmm, wait a minute smile.png

Thai people in general have to look after their own family members and usually make a good job of it.

Imagine what the the UK would be like without Childrens Homes,Old Peoples Homes, Social Services, Social Security, The Dole The Pensions...etc etc.

Edited by Broken Record

Heartbreaking.

There is an old man in Khon Kaen that gets around with crotchless pants on the main streets of town. I have given him new pants to wear, but he never wears them.

My wife sees an old lady out the front of the street market in town as well and bought all her food thinking she could go home and be with her family. Thy lady was back again 20 minutes later selling something else.

We have tried and if I had the means I would help every poor Thai we see, but it just isn't possible.

Bless this poor lady. I wish I could hel

This the problem it`s hard to see, who is real poor or it`s just his business.

In the 2. case are new pants bad for the business.

I recommend to make pictures of all these fake poor and blame them in FB, that only the real poors getting somethings.

Anyway as long a hypocritcal society spend to ppl(Monks) who having more as enough, will nothing change.

There's a clause in a recent document, that wants to remove or limits handicap programs and restricts health care. Need I say more?

The same process running around the entire World all gov. are corrupt and just Marionettes of the Global Banksters.

These Bastards like to wipe out 6.5 Billion PPL around the world, that only about 500 Millions of PPL left, as Slaves for them.

The Question is how to do this, it`s very simple.

Wars are too expensive. The gov. acting against their on PPL destroy social security in top create unnecessary wars in other countries to destroy them and to launch a Big Refugees Migrations.

Pump this PPL(Muslims) for ex into Christian Europa or USA to destroy their culture, create in the same time a Global Crisis, this will leads to a lot of unemployed ppl, there is only a question left, when will this powder barrel explode.

This will lead to Pogroms and Anarchy.

This process is in europe very close to high noon.

We all know which politics is responsible for these desasters around the world for about 70 years.

Meanwhile Prayuth prosecutes Farangs for not wearing a shirt or taking selfies with a beer bootle !

Welcome to Thailand!

1. This thread is:

"An eighty year old with Alzheimer's living on scraps at Samrong market needs help"

2. "Meanwhile Prayuth prosecutes Farangs for not wearing a shirt or taking selfies with a beer bootle !

Welcome to Thailand!"

- Your on the wrong thread it seems.

- Prayuth didn't prosecute anybody, the police charged the man - in fact the charge is an old valid Thai law.

Better get more focused.

When I see and hear about the obscene amounts of money that the Thais 'Thamboon' to the wats and monks, and then read about cases like this, as well as personally observe the like, I get really mad.

Bingo. But at least their local wat looks nice.

At her age she should be receiving 600 baht a month pension. That's about the only 'safety net' there is in this Country. Hoping that some one or organisation will come to her rescue.

To be eligible for the 600 baht pension they are required to have and be registered at an accommodation address.

I watched a documentary on Youtube about the first modern humans thousands of years ago. They lived in tribes or family clans. Everyone had to do their share to help the group and once members of the tribe grew too old to hunt or considered no longer any use to the clan, they were discarded and left to fend for themselves or simply cast out, forgotten and left to die.

Seems the situation hasn`t improved much over time. I`ve said for a long time that all we have when we get old that everyone wants is our money and if old and skint no one cares and you`ve had it. The harsh realities are that very soon this old lady will require 24 hour care, mostly due to her mental inabilities, with feeding, washing and even pooping. And you really have to love the person to do that, like a close relative or partner. My grandmother went the same way, but of course that was my beloved grandmother, doing the same for a complete stranger is another story and I doubt most people would be willing to take that on.

The only hope this unfortunate old lady has is if some charitable organisation would be willing to sponsor her care at a hospital or some kind of old people`s institution, otherwise I`m afraid her future is looking grim. And those are the grim facts, sorry to say.