Racist statements lead lawmakers to reject John Wayne Day

webfact

Racist statements lead lawmakers to reject John Wayne Day
DON THOMPSON, Associated Press

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — What a California lawmaker intended as a benign resolution honoring a late, world-renowned movie icon exploded into an emotional debate over decades-old racist comments Thursday.

The state Assembly defeated the official ode to John Wayne after several legislators described statements he made about racial minorities and his support for the anti-communist House Un-American Activities Committee and John Birch Society.

Known as "Duke," a nickname he picked up as a boy in Glendale, California, Wayne grew into the star of movies including "The Alamo," ''The Green Beret," and "True Grit," for which he won an Academy Award, while portraying the gruff, rugged cowboys and brave soldiers who were his stock in trade.

Republican State Assemblyman Matthew Harper of Huntington Beach sought to declare May 26, 2016, as John Wayne Day to mark the day the actor was born.

"He had disturbing views towards race," objected Assemblyman Luis Alejo, D-Watsonville, leading off a 20-minute debate.

Alejo cited a 1971 interview with Playboy in which Wayne talked disparagingly about blacks.

"I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility. I don't believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people," he told the magazine (http://bit.ly/1SwJCDa .)

Assemblyman Mike Gipson, D-Carson, who is black, said he found Wayne's comments personally offensive.

Assemblywoman Lorena Gonzalez, D-San Diego, cited his comments defending white Europeans' encroachment on American Indians who Wayne once said "were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves."

Wayne is the latest deceased white icon to recently come under attack. Former President Andrew Jackson, a slave owner and Indian fighter, is being removed from the face of the $20 bill. Princeton University recently announced that former U.S. President Woodrow Wilson's name will remain on its public policy school despite calls to remove it because he was a segregationist.

Harper's resolution fell on a 35-20 vote to what Harper called "the orthodoxy of political correctness."

"Opposing the John Wayne Day resolution is like opposing apple pie, fireworks, baseball, the Free Enterprise system and the Fourth of July!" he said later in a written statement.

Harper said he sought the resolution, ACR137, to keep up with a Texas resolution commemorating Wayne's birthday a year ago.

He represents the legislative district that includes John Wayne Airport in Orange County. The airport, among the largest in California, was renamed after Wayne's death in 1979 and hosts a nine-foot-tall statue of the actor.

"I think the assemblyman would know if there was a cross word about having the airport named after him," said Harper's spokeswoman, Madeleine Cooper.

Several lawmakers supported the resolution, recalling Wayne as an American hero whose family created a namesake cancer foundation after his death.

"He stood for those big American values that we know and we love," said Assemblyman Travis Allen, R-Huntington Beach.

Lawmakers have honored others despite controversies that eventually clouded their legacies, said Assemblyman Donald Wagner, R-Irvine. Wagner cited President Franklin Roosevelt, who has been honored despite his internment of Japanese Americans during World War II.

"Every one of us is imperfect," Wagner said.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-04-29

quote "I don't believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people,"

And how is that racist? Giving the position of authority and judgement to an incompetent or unqualified just because they are an ethnic minority is more racist - against caucazoids. It is just so sad reading pure common sense statements made by a great man, and to have them rubbished as "racist".

jaidam, on 29 Apr 2016 - 08:42, said:

quote "I don't believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people,"

And how is that racist? Giving the position of authority and judgement to an incompetent or unqualified just because they are an ethnic minority is more racist - against caucazoids. It is just so sad reading pure common sense statements made by a great man, and to have them rubbished as "racist".

The BS of PC is lingering and stinking every thinking minds around the world, instead to call it by it's

name, people hide behind PC to show that they're illuminated and educated people, infect, deep-down,

they're all the same, closet's racist.......

You conveniently left out the rest of what he said...."I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility." While that was a different time, it's still a hurtful and obviously racist comment regardless of when it was said.

because he typecast THE blacks as in ALL blacks as incompetent and unqualified. that is racist, period!

I always knew Wayne was a big redneck. I enjoyed his movies somewhat. I've known a lot of rednecks in California and elsewhere. I just put up with their ignorance/paranoia./ill-temper like I put up with back alley barking dogs. You just walk on by and hope they don't bite you - or avoid the alley, if possible.

I always knew Wayne was a big redneck. I enjoyed his movies somewhat. I've known a lot of rednecks in California and elsewhere. I just put up with their ignorance/paranoia./ill-temper like I put up with back alley barking dogs. You just walk on by and hope they don't bite you - or avoid the alley, if possible.

the Green Berets was one of the worst movies ever made.

How John Wayne got his big break - true story!

He was at one of the Movie lots one sunny day, unloading a moving truck. A director noted his swagger and dynamism, and said something like, "hey buddy, you ever thought about being in a movie?" The rest is silver screen history.

A somewhat similar scenario: before Hulk Hogan was anybody, someone with connections saw him playing beach volleyball at Venice Beach (near Hollywood). Called him aside, and it was the first steps to fame and fortune.

Lesson: If you're a strapping young man with a lot of assertive dynamism, try going to Hollywood and make a spectacle of yourself. You just might get a big break and become and American icon.

One more: Before Harrison Ford was anybody, he was on the set of a small time Hollywood production. He was a handyman or something. They needed someone to read an absent actor's part, so they asked him to do it. His voice (and demeanor) was such a sensation, that that incident was a springboard to wild success.

because he typecast THE blacks as in ALL blacks as incompetent and unqualified. that is racist, period!

Fair enough I stand corrected. I suppose he must have been wrong otherwise the US would have a huge problem with blacks making up the vast majority of the prison population for anti-social and predominantly violent crime. Inner city areas where the blacks reside would have out of proportion crime rates and would be viewed as effectively no-go-zones especially for foot traffic. Government offices would run to a standstill with incompetent workers being awarded jobs solely on the basis of their minority status.

Lucky Mr Wayne was wrong hey.

Fair enough I stand corrected. I suppose he must have been wrong otherwise the US would have a huge problem with blacks making up the vast majority of the prison population for anti-social and predominantly violent crime. Inner city areas where the blacks reside would have out of proportion crime rates and would be viewed as effectively no-go-zones especially for foot traffic. Government offices would run to a standstill with incompetent workers being awarded jobs solely on the basis of their minority status.

what does awarding positions based on qualifications have to do with awarding based on minority status? are you suggesting NO BLACKS have the qualifications required for positions of leadership and judgement?? lol

Sounds painfully similar to comments often made here about THEM and US.

jaidam, on 29 Apr 2016 - 08:42, said:

The BS of PC is lingering and stinking every thinking minds around the world, instead to call it by it's

name, people hide behind PC to show that they're illuminated and educated people, infect, deep-down,

they're all the same, closet's racist.......

After reading your little polemic no one could accuse you of trying to show you're "illuminated" or educated.

If you, your family and others with whom you share some sense of community have suffered from bigotry, the reason you speak out about bigotry is not an attempt to sound PC or educated, it's an expression of anger for wrongs, past & present.

Using your logic, the women who are accusing Bill Cosby of sexual assault are being PC because he was a reasonably good comedian and also made nice Jello commercials, which ought to give him a free pass to say or do whatever he wants. Or maybe that doesn't matter since Cosby isn't white, so different rules apply.

You may have shot yourself in the foot with these two gems:

"...people hide behind PC to show that they're illuminated and educated people ..."

" ...closet's racist ..."

Edited by Suradit69

If you read the complete statement you would know he is referring to blacks.I've no doubt he would have been a supporter of Trump. Incompetent,lacks judgment, unqualified? Maybe. But definitely a racist.But the good ol American boys love him. American values? I doubt it.

I don't have a problem with honoring his acting career or showing his movies to people that still want to see them (probably not very many as they're so dated).

They're not endorsing his politics.

Any more than I have a problem with staging Wagner operas.

I don't have a problem with honoring his acting career or showing his movies to people that still want to see them (probably not very many as they're so dated).

They're not endorsing his politics.

Any more than I have a problem with staging Wagner operas.

Because they're not just honoring his acting career

'Several lawmakers supported the resolution, recalling Wayne as an American hero whose family created a namesake cancer foundation after his death.'

"Opposing the John Wayne Day resolution is like opposing apple pie, fireworks, baseball, the Free Enterprise system and the Fourth of July!" he said later in a written statement.

For some reason John Wayne has long been considered a hero by the American right. Yet this is a guy who managed, despite his patriotism, to avoid serving in WW2. You know, the good war. The one that virtually everyone in the country was united behind for its entire duration. The only time John Wayne ever wore the uniform of his country was on a movie set. Just another hypocritical careerist.

I get it. He's a symbol of Americana. My Dad, a proud WW2 veteran, loved his movies. His favorite was TRUE GRIT. I think, give it a break. It's kind of a free speech thing too. People are free to make racists statements. I still don't think honoring John Wayne is explicitly endorsing racism.

I guess I'm agreeing with the people who think "P.C." often gets out of hand. Not saying such things shouldn't be considered, but it can go too far. I think rejecting John Wayne Day probably goes too far, as well as campus obsession with so called MICRO-aggressions in speech.

Edited by Jingthing

I get it. He's a symbol of Americana. My Dad, a proud WW2 veteran, loved his movies. His favorite was TRUE GRIT. I think, give it a break. It's kind of a free speech thing too. People are free to make racists statements. I still don't think honoring John Wayne is explicitly endorsing racism.

I guess I'm agreeing with the people who think "P.C." often gets out of hand. Not saying such things shouldn't be considered, but it can go too far. I think rejecting John Wayne Day probably goes too far, as well as campus obsession with so called MICRO-aggressions in speech.

When people criticize "PC," it's because they themselves are not the target. I'm sure you would think differently if the speech offended you personally. It shouldn't be that way. I'm not black, but I can see how such a statement would offend black people. And if someone as respected and admired as John Wayne can say it with impunity, then of course everyone would think that it's ok.

When people criticize "PC," it's because they themselves are not the target. I'm sure you would think differently if the speech offended you personally. It shouldn't be that way. I'm not black, but I can see how such a statement would offend black people. And if someone as respected and admired as John Wayne can say it with impunity, then of course everyone would think that it's ok.

I suppose you missed my comment that personally I have no problem with people staging WAGNER operas. To add, or WAGNER FESTIVALS. Or WAGNER DAYS. rolleyes.gif

Separate the "artists" if you can call Wayne an artist from their political / racial speech.

Edited by Jingthing

I suppose you missed my comment that personally I have no problem with people staging WAGNER operas. To add, or WAGNER FESTIVALS. Or WAGNER DAYS. rolleyes.gif

Separate the "artists" if you can call Wayne an artist from their political / racial speech.

How about Mel Gibson?

John Wayne lived in a different time and culture...the US has changed since he made those "insulting" comments...

Some people are insulted more easily than others...

Wayne will always have a place in the hearts of the people who grew up watching his movies...hokey, raw, predictable, but there was a gentle giant saving the damsel in distress...

What he said...way back when...was completely relevant for his time...

Of course, the PC police and racists never forget or forgive anything...

Edited by ggt

I just have a problem with people nowadays thinking actors should set who we should or need to be......My Uncle sold JW His yearly Lincoln Towne Car for donkeys years. They were friends......He never showed up riding a horse......He was an actor........If your gonna idolize, shoot it towards a person that deserves it...

John Wayne lived in a different time and culture...the US has changed since he made those "insulting" comments...

Some people are insulted more easily than others...

Wayne will always have a place in the hearts of the people who grew up watching his movies...hokey, raw, predictable, but there was a gentle giant saving the damsel in distress...

What he said...way back when...was completely relevant for his time...

Of course, the PC police and racists never forget or forgive anything...

Also when he said it it was already considered racist and not done.

Agree with you, one has to look at the statements made in history, but in this case that will lead to condemnation as well.

You left out alot of sociological facts. First of all, a high percentage of the black men who were convicted of crimes, and sent to prison, did not have the benefit of high priced lawyers, who are often able to either get the sentences reduced, or thrown out. I am not condoning crime. Just stating a fact. Secondarily, there are a disproportionally high number of black men who are convicted of petty crimes, and sentenced to long prison sentences due to their race, and their past records of other minor crimes. This is completely out of proportion to the crimes committed. Many of these offenses were simple drug possession cases, that should have resulted in a few months in jail, and instead were many years. One has to understand that the "prison industry" in the US is largely privatized. So, there is an incentive for keeping the 2.4 million people in jail. It has little to do with justice, and reform, and everything to do with profit. The criminal justice system in the US is nearly completely broken, and in vast need of reform.

To talk about the black and Hispanic population in prison, without addressing any of these issues is missing the point of this.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/09/17/3568232/the-united-states-had-even-more-prisoners-in-2013/

Edited by spidermike007

Everyone tends to forget that the fifties and sixties were different times. Attitudes were different, laws prohibiting interracial marriage still existed, life was different. We've come a long way. Would I say in public some of the things I say in private, hell no! Do I make generalizations about people, hell yes! Is it politically correct? NO! Every time someone on TV makes a remark about Thais and the Thai nation, they are usually making generalizations. We should be allowed to be politically incorrect at times. None of us are perfect. I am sure in his time John Wayne also changed his attitudes before he died. It is just now we as a populace have become so intimidated by the leftist politically correct element that were are afraid to say anything which might offend. I doubt that the TV show "All in the Family" with Archie Bunker's comments would be allowed but that series showed us something about ourselves and society. I'm glad I won't be around in 50 years when everyone is cut of the same mould.

Under the cover of "victim" and 'racism" and similar claims lies a dark reality. This reality is easily surmised by the fruit of [their] efforts. A core feature is the revision of history or, the application of modern mores as a template over prior ages, subsequent indictment, then conviction (by no more then the allegation). This corruption of blood retroactively holds people accountable for values that were simply not present in their times.

The US is currently undergoing an epidemic of such revision which has an equal, for example, in the desecration of the cartouches of pharaohs when they too were dead- goal=revise history. The goal is the same- to erase from history unpalatable realities and seed an approved message. It makes little difference whether the argument they offer- "Person x said y and z. This is wrong." We can agree; racist statements are deplorable and having learned our lessons in our social evolution, we embrace different values today. No! This is not sufficient. The past most be punished, and this is evident from Cecil Rhodes in the UK to Jackson in the US to Wayne ad infinitum. The goal is inherently racist itself- to erase a cultural history. This is another example of the fruit of the insurgency sweeping America.

The horror is that the end result is to erase from history the legacy that humans once embraced such worldviews. This enhances, not decreases, the chance that it will reoccur. "Learn from the past or your bound to re-live it." Bill Burr captures this absurdity best:

I don't see how this is a re writing of history rather a recognition of reality and that for some time people have idolised a person that was clearly a white supremacist and racist. Slave owner and contributor to the genocide of the native Indians Jackson should be taken off the 20 buck note and how a segregationist can have his name on a school is beyond me.

Will upset the privileged old white folks but it is important a Nation faces its past transgressions and puts their house in order. People of this long past generation need to understand eventually the piper must be paid and he played their tune of hatred and oppression for many many many decades.

Celebrating the birth of an old white privileged racist like John Wayne? Ah scratch that one off the calender.