Expats in Thailand - what do you intend to do when you're old (70,80,90+)?

simon43

To the OP: thanks for starting "OLD" at 70.

In my 60's, I'm reminded that "60" is the new "40."

Wake up to reality

I've managed to get rid of this old age syndrome shit by getting shot of the old and bringing in the new.

My kids in the UK get mad at me for having girlfriends in their early 20's considering they're the same age haha.

They have this preconceived idea.

I should be living back in the UK finding some sweet old bag with tits down to her ankles, arse fainted, blue rinse and a huge supply of Poligrip.

Live and let live is my motto so keep humping away until your last breath .......

Just saying ... ....,.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can become old in attitude and capabilities at even young ages.

That's certainly true; but at 70+ your chances of a sudden physical or mental breakdown are much greater.

Thailand isn't the place you would want that to happen unless you had long-term family Thais.

Wake up to reality

I've managed to get rid of this old age syndrome shit by getting shot of the old and bringing in the new.

My kids in the UK get mad at me for having girlfriends in their early 20's considering they're the same age haha.

I should be living back in the UK finding some sweet old bag with tits down to her ankles, arse fainted, blue rinse and a huge supply of Poligrip.

Live and let live is my motto so keep humping away until your last breath .......

Just saying ... ....,.

Maybe its an inheritance thing, kids will know their possible inheritance will be spent on Thai girls Edited by scubascuba3

Be back home, where I will receive FREE healthcare, updated pension rises etc etc.

Stuck here as an OAP, NO CHANCE.

Stuck here without healthcare and no pension increase, no thanks, didnt pay my taxes and NI for nothing.

Mother England will welcome me with both arms back to her bosom, Thailand offers?

I won't be 70s for almost 50 years so I think I'd more than fine in Thailand at that age. Healthcare is already fairly good in Bangkok..

Healthcare is already fairly good in Bangkok..

Great stuff, how about telling us how it is for the over 65s and 70s in Bkk, thats Thai not farang..

Healthcare is excellent if you can afford it, insurance is great as long as you are willing to pay.

How about telling us about those insurance companies that insure 70s and over, my Thai Mother in law will be so grateful, as will the rest of the moo baan never mind the soi.

I won't be 70s for almost 50 years so I think I'd more than fine in Thailand at that age. Healthcare is already fairly good in Bangkok..

You're an expat here and you seriously think you'll be here in 50 years? That would be very rare.

From what I've seen (I'm president of the CM Expats Club, basically a club for retired people) the most successful older expats are those with a wide social network, who have kept active, both mentally and socially. Not necessarily those who have a Thai wife/GF, but those who have some close and caring western friends who they trust to step in if they are unable to take care of themselves. Accidents happen or people can get to the point that they aren't capable of remembering when to take medication properly or how to handle their finances. Those are usually the first two things to go when people start to have declining mental function. It's important to have someone close to you that is able and trusted enough to intervene before you get into trouble because you're not managing your medications and/or your finances properly. Often a Thai spouse or trusted maid isn't the person able to do this.

That's about how my father did it. We lived well the final years of his life, although he had enough put away to retire in California.

Bang chicks and get pissed till the end.

Which sounds like a lot of fun. But the truth is that you might spend your final months/years in extreme pain from cancer, or out on another planet due to mental illness/dementia, or seeing your dear relatives empty your bank account while you're locked in their house...

These sort of nightmares certainly encourage me to 'Bang chicks and get pissed' when I'm able to do so, and then to leave this world on my own terms when I think the time is right.

Loads of guys talking about having a young attitude and keeping young etc but i think the ops intention was to see how people plan to cope with mental or physical frailty, whatever age this comes, and it will in 90% of people. As i said previously my exit plan is around 85 subject to health. 40 years away.

I love these threads. You got old blokes asking older blokes what they will do when they get "old" lol. Must be the only country on earth where remarkably all the old folk still have all their teeth and hair and look far younger than their actual age. Contrary to all we know about science, genetics and aging somehow manage to be fitter, faster, more athletic and have more sexual stamina than guys 5 or more decades their junior. Amazing Thailand eh! Sheesh talk about believing your own publicity. Cough cough I'm calling BS on that one

You are of course welcome to believe whatever you want.

Though my post about the remarkably fit and fast 75yr old cyclist was about a guy in Australia. And yes, he is definitely faster than many cyclists 5 or more decades his junior doing the same rides.

When I was a kid I had trouble keeping up with my mother when she walked around the shops. When she was 82, I was a full foot taller and a bit proud of how fast I can walk, and I still struggled to keep up.

Are you calling BS on those as well?

To a degree you are of course correct, it's an inbuilt human failing that we see and portray ourselves and actions in the best possible light. We even unconsciously change our memories in this regard, so there is a certain amount of BS in everything we say. However, it doesn't mean that we can't be healthy and having a good life in our later years. And those who are motivated often do.

Your statement of "Contrary to all we know about science, genetics and ageing" is a fallacious argument. While fallacious, the thrust of your argument is still correct for those that sit around all day swilling beer etc. However, for those that stay active what we know about ageing shows a large flaw in your argument.

It is well known to science that "if" we stay physically active we can make large differences to our apparent age, including everything from skin elasticity to cognition.

Here is one about getting to die of old age without having a disability first. The short form is that being physically active doubles our chance of avoiding disability. Lots more along these lines on Google scholar....

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/149/7/654.short

I agree with you totally but as much as I gilded the lily I stand by what I say. I am not talking about being fit for your age. I am talking about your average OAP pensioner in Thailand (and there seem to be a lot of them) that swear up and down they are fitter in there 60's, 70's, and 80's than they were in their teens early 20's. Mate I have only just hit my forties played competitive sport all my life and I can already feel myself slowing down. To say I could train, run, lift, fight or <deleted> like I could in my 20's would be total crap. I will endeavour to keep myself as fit as possible as long as possible but comparing 20 year old me to 40 year old me... Well let's just say 20 year old me would have wiped the deck with the older version. As me old nan said "to thine own self be true". Even with the examples you have provided which might encompass the smallest cross section of society, it's just not feasible that an elderly person has the same athletic potential / ability as someone 4 or 5 decades their junior. I am sure you are not the only one I have offended but the truth does hurt. If you have lived in Thailand long enough you will know how many people start to believe they are killing it here. Much in the same way as there appears to be so many ex millionaires, successful business and special forces black ops personnel roaming about.

I love these threads. You got old blokes asking older blokes what they will do when they get "old" lol. Must be the only country on earth where remarkably all the old folk still have all their teeth and hair and look far younger than their actual age. Contrary to all we know about science, genetics and aging somehow manage to be fitter, faster, more athletic and have more sexual stamina than guys 5 or more decades their junior. Amazing Thailand eh! Sheesh talk about believing your own publicity. Cough cough I'm calling BS on that one

You, Sir, may have an excess of pride over humility but I do not. I don't lose face by admitting I have lost faculties if it is true. I for one do not claim capabilities that I do not have. Out of you and me, I am the one that knows what I can do and you do not. There are no lies, no exaggeration and no BS.

On this occasion, your "knowledge" of science and genetics has failed you. I issue you with a challenge: I ask you to name ANYTHING that a 71 year old man such as I should (sic) be suffering from and I can reply honestly (as I write) NOTHING! I don't even wear glasses.

Be sceptical by all means but being cynical, bigoted and a know-all requires only that you recognise your future silence will be golden for those of us that don't fit your personal stereotype.

Tickled a nerve did I mate? Can't see how I am a bigot but anyhow the point is many posters were trying to say how they are better now when they were when they were younger not about what you should be suffering from. Nothing wrong with being fit for your age but you couldn't possibly have the same level of fitness as a 20 year old. No need to get your nose out of joint just a healthy dose of perspective or then again I could be wrong and all these fat old alcoholics running around really are hansum men eh? My apologies

I agree with you totally but as much as I gilded the lily I stand by what I say. I am not talking about being fit for your age. I am talking about your average OAP pensioner in Thailand (and there seem to be a lot of them) that swear up and down they are fitter in there 60's, 70's, and 80's than they were in their teens early 20's. Mate I have only just hit my forties played competitive sport all my life and I can already feel myself slowing down. To say I could train, run, lift, fight or <deleted> like I could in my 20's would be total crap. I will endeavour to keep myself as fit as possible as long as possible but comparing 20 year old me to 40 year old me... Well let's just say 20 year old me would have wiped the deck with the older version. As me old nan said "to thine own self be true". Even with the examples you have provided which might encompass the smallest cross section of society, it's just not feasible that an elderly person has the same athletic potential / ability as someone 4 or 5 decades their junior. I am sure you are not the only one I have offended but the truth does hurt. If you have lived in Thailand long enough you will know how many people start to believe they are killing it here. Much in the same way as there appears to be so many ex millionaires, successful business and special forces black ops personnel roaming about.

No offence taken, and given the appearance of many Thai bar dwellers I've seen I'd agree with you.

I too will never be as fast or flexible as I was. My eyes will never again see as much as they could. But extending it to include "not feasible that an elderly person has the same athletic potential.." was not my argument in any way. I am now far faster on a bicycle than I was in my teens, but am I faster than I could "potentially" have been? Well, if I'd had excellent training and more knowledge in my teens then I'd say no, but I didn't.

Nitpicking aside my point was that with some work we can be as good as the average somewhat younger person. And we can slow the decline with age. At 52 yrs old working in a corp. with more than 250 staff I would have been stronger, faster and fitter than nearly all of the roughly 40 yr olds (with some notable exceptions). And that was in Australia.

That's not really saying much about my fitness though because it looks like Australians are winning in the obese game.

So I agree with your point (with the exception of "potential/ability" being applied too broadly) and still stick to my point. And yes, I'm starting to see that there are "a few" expats who are up themselves... :)

You, Sir, may have an excess of pride over humility but I do not. I don't lose face by admitting I have lost faculties if it is true. I for one do not claim capabilities that I do not have. Out of you and me, I am the one that knows what I can do and you do not. There are no lies, no exaggeration and no BS.

On this occasion, your "knowledge" of science and genetics has failed you. I issue you with a challenge: I ask you to name ANYTHING that a 71 year old man such as I should (sic) be suffering from and I can reply honestly (as I write) NOTHING! I don't even wear glasses.

Be sceptical by all means but being cynical, bigoted and a know-all requires only that you recognise your future silence will be golden for those of us that don't fit your personal stereotype.

Tickled a nerve did I mate? Can't see how I am a bigot but anyhow the point is many posters were trying to say how they are better now when they were when they were younger not about what you should be suffering from. Nothing wrong with being fit for your age but you couldn't possibly have the same level of fitness as a 20 year old. No need to get your nose out of joint just a healthy dose of perspective or then again I could be wrong and all these fat old alcoholics running around really are hansum men eh? My apologies

Thank you, I appreciate your response. and apologies accepted. I am a lucky and quite exceptional man health-wise and like to say so. To be challenged as to the truth of it does "tickle a nerve" so I assert myself! In comparing myself with people much younger than me, I mean those who are not an athlete, which means the average person. I am an athlete for nearly 40 years but can't possibly outdo those younger who are actually trained athletes; but then I never claimed that.

I am not just fit, I am incredibly healthy. Have absolutely nothing wrong or out of sync. I have never been in a hospital bed, never had a disease, never had a serious accident, no allergies, never taken regular medication, nothing chronic like backache, no asthma, no acne, no rheumatism, arthritis, no prostate or hernia, no diabetic tendencies, no varicose veins, no high blood pressure or too much cholesterol. no broken bones. have a head of hair and teeth. Oh, and my brain? It loves work and oxygen and it gets plenty! I have bags of energy and curiosity.

I am not fat or ugly. 175cm tall and only 60 kgs and always been that way. What is my secret?

There isn't a "secret" I try to run a balanced and generally stress-free life - and it is working!

Yes, I know, tomorrow I die from a stroke or heart attack.

You're an expat here and you seriously think you'll be here in 50 years? That would be very rare.

Never said I would. Not sure if I will.

I hope I don't become one of those bitter jaded olds crying about the good old days of Thailand in 2050 though. lol.

Wake up to reality

Just saying ... ....,.

Maybe its an inheritance thing, kids will know their possible inheritance will be spent on Thai girls

I think it's more of an embarrassment and disappointment that a parent could be so sad with no integrity or self-worth. Using 3rd world prostitutes in my old age is something I pray I wouldn't want to do.

Homes are horrid, you depend on the good will of people who don't get fair wages for their jobs and who eventually just slag off and neglect you.

The best insurance is to preserve your body and mind with adequate lifestyle.

.... Agree with you about the Homes. But disease can strike unexpectedly to anyone including those with healthy lifestyles. Cannot simply assume good lifestyle will ensure you remain healthy for 30 years after retirement. To the OP, find someone you trust to live your life together, who can take care you in your old age. Yes, may mean another wife!

Be back home, where I will receive FREE healthcare, updated pension rises etc etc.

Stuck here without healthcare and no pension increase, no thanks, didnt pay my taxes and NI for nothing.

Mother England will welcome me with both arms back to her bosom, Thailand offers?

My father benefited from the "wonderful" care that the UK offers. For the last 10 years of his life he was stuck in a depressing care home, in the freezing cold, looked after by Eastern Europeans who couldn't give a damn. Even for that we had to pay thousands. But we did get an extra 1 pound a week on his pension. When you get old the NHS will not care either. Current policy is to deny older patients any water so they die of thirst as quickly as possible.

No thanks, i would rather take my chances here.

I have my nitrogen exit bag at the ready as I'm in a similar position as you. When it's obvious to me that my mental and/or physical decline is at such a point that I can't look after myself or my quality of life is such that it's not worth getting up in the morning, I'm checking out.

I have my nitrogen exit bag at the ready as I'm in a similar position as you. When it's obvious to me that my mental and/or physical decline is at such a point that I can't look after myself or my quality of life is such that it's not worth getting up in the morning, I'm checking out.

Whats this nitrogen exit bag? This could be a business opportunity

Google is you friend ?

If financially able, you could always employ someone to take care of day to day needs.

A "Housekeeper" and personal assistant rolled into one. thumbsup.gif (and NO that's not called a "wife" before someone jumps in with that smile.png)

The difficulty is that someone needs to watch the staff. A common tragedy that arises is when the staff exploit the elderly person. This can occur when the person is dependent upon the staff or has dementia. The only solution is to have an "advocate". Sometimes a trusted relative can act as advocate and keep an eye on things and can make medical care decisions if needed, but what is one to do if one doesn't have a trusted family member or friend who can do this?

If financially able, you could always employ someone to take care of day to day needs.

A "Housekeeper" and personal assistant rolled into one. thumbsup.gif (and NO that's not called a "wife" before someone jumps in with that smile.png)

That works in theory but in practice is fought with risk. The main one being (and this applies to any country) that once one reaches an advanced stage of mental or physical dependency, you would have to turn over management of your financial affairs to this person (employee) and who would want to do that?

Google is you friend
Thanks for the extensive info. Maybe a good pension isn't required for some people then.

Homes are horrid, you depend on the good will of people who don't get fair wages for their jobs and who eventually just slag off and neglect you.

The best insurance is to preserve your body and mind with adequate lifestyle.

And this has worked for how many people in human history in staving off the inevitable?

tragically, it is not uncommon at all, that you end up losing control of even your demise, for many reasons, but maybe you'll get lucky, but generally I'd say 'the end' often is a serious of things that surprise people, and there is no 'death with dignity' in thailand, each situation is always different, most people die in hospitals. ; and often after years of not knowing how close they are to an 'ending' , from working in the business.......

Provided I don't fall off a balcony in the meantime, I plan to stock up on morphine and bring about my own demise the day I'm unable to wipe my own backside.

I helped look after my father in his declining months after being diagnosed with cancer of the esophagus, and I have no intention of ending my days in the same way.

There's an Australian guy in the village who apparently had a stroke, if village gossip is to be believed he had lost control of his bowels and bladder. Fortunately for this guy he has a sister coming to help him, but I understand he has now been admitted to hospital, so I wonder if he is fit to travel, or facing his declining, and totally dependant, days in Thailand.

Me, I'd already be scattered to the four winds before that stage!

My father benefited from the "wonderful" care that the UK offers. For the last 10 years of his life he was stuck in a depressing care home, in the freezing cold, looked after by Eastern Europeans who couldn't give a damn. Even for that we had to pay thousands. But we did get an extra 1 pound a week on his pension. When you get old the NHS will not care either. Current policy is to deny older patients any water so they die of thirst as quickly as possible.

No thanks, i would rather take my chances here.

Couldn't agree more. Some people here with rose tinted glasses. Also have to say the care home situation will only get worse, many of the groups running them are in financial trouble. https://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/oct/31/care-homes-crisis-dwarf-steel-industry-problems-four-seasons-terra-firma

Even if not at the care home stage you will find yourself at the back of the queue in a daily deteriorating health service being privatised faster than you can blink. It survives and handles acute cases as best it can but the chronic problems that come with age, future not rosy. Too many family members working in the NHS for me not to see the bigger picture, and most of them looking to take their skills overseas after the latest onslaught by the current government.

" Mother England will welcome me with both arms back to her bosom,"

Sorry pal, but if you believe that you're already in la-la land.