Thai Police to strictly enforce 10 traffic laws

webfact

Police to strictly enforce 10 traffic laws

BANGKOK, 4 May 2016 (NNT) – Police have resolved to step up stringency against 10 types of traffic violation with even greater attention to street racing and the use of mobile phones while driving.

Deputy Spokesperson for the Royal Thai Police Office Pol Col Krisana Pattanacharoen made known that officers will now be closely looking to arrest and punish drivers racing on public roads on order from the Prime Minister.

Police have been asked to strictly enforce laws against 10 traffic crimes, which include; speeding, driving in the wrong direction, failing to obey traffic lights, driving without a license and driving under the influence of alcohol.

They have asked that the public contribute to the effort by reporting such violations to the 191 police hotline or to 1599, 24 hours a day.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-05-04 footer_n.gif

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Enforce the law, arrest and punish drivers in this heat, fat chance... They will be way to busy at their regular checkpoints (ATM) stopping people for not wearing helmets etc... kerching...thumbsup.gif

The RTP spokeperson forgot to say that the road traffic rules don't apply to drivers of luxury German cars, or Italian sport cars...cheesy.gif They are HiSo's (in their minds anyway) and cannot be touched...coffee1.gif

I guess they will be reporting the violations whilst riding without a helmet into oncoming traffic using their cellphones with a baby airbag on a seat in front of them and a grandma on a plastic chair on the sidecar, possibly with a barbecue going at the same time.

...or driving a minivan full of passengers on the wrong side of the road on a blind curve in the road but with an amulet .

...or insert your own observations here:...

I wish they would start at the root of the problem:

make sure that people who obtain a driver's licence actually know how to operate a vehicle.

Are you serious? Driving a motorised vehicle is a Thai birth right, didn't you know? We are talking about the masters here, those who can never fail!

AGAIN.... ??????

Media lip-service... nothing is done, nothing is improved, nothing changes... just the same media statements and the same complete and total ineffective (absent) follow up...

Intention is good - practice is fundamentally lazy...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/899113-thai-police-to-tackle-10-traffic-offences-seriously-to-ease-traffic-congestions-at-tourist-spots/

I counted 5 listed items in the article above. What are the remaining laws they intend to enforce. And by the way, when will it become illegal to drive a motorcycle on a crowded sidewalk? Love to see that one!

Police to strictly enforce 10 traffic laws

Yeah, right. Maybe for 2 or 3 days, or until they lose interest. Do they not know how foolish these proclimations sound. No one, not Thai or foreigner, believe a word of it.

Driving the wrong way.... does that apply to motorbikes?

I noticed '.. on the sidewalk..' not listed. So motorbikes can drive in the 'right' way on sidewalks?

Motorbikes are permitted to use footpaths.........how dopey is this?!!

Can't see this happening and what are the other four offences.

How will the country kids get to school if they can't ride without a licence?

Heard a similar excuse when a 10 year old boy was driving a car in Saudi his mother in the back.

I wish they would start at the root of the problem:

make sure that people who obtain a driver's licence actually know how to operate a vehicle.

But who teaches the Driving instructors ?

I'm assuming that failure to yield the right of way, failure to maintain a lane, and aggressive driving are still OK. And driving the wrong way will be strictly enforced if the driver is stupid enough to come across a 'road block' whist travelling against traffic AND the BIB happen to be looking in the wrong direction. Otherwise, that's OK too.

In all fairness ... I don't think police know the traffic laws that well and that's bad management. Also I think the police do what they are told to do when they are told to do it, and if they are not given a specific task, they don't do anything. Tell the traffic police to go out and stop illegal U-turns and they will ... on that day. Tell them to stop motorbikes using overpasses and they will ... on that day. Tell them to go after motorbikes on walkways and they will ... on that day. They may, however, balk at walking patrols. With low pay, it's just a job.

I just figured it out. Been here ten years so I guess I am a little slow on the uptake.

And regarding corruption? According to an Indonesian minister ... greedy, selfish wives are the cause of corruption in men.

I don't know about you guys, but the one thing I can never get used to on the roads here, even after 15 years, is when motorbikes (and sometimes cars!) appearing from nowhere drive straight at you on the wrong side of the road. Of course you have no idea what on earth they're going to do and it scares the sh*t out of me every time biggrin.png

Now when I read that the police are going to enforce the law, I can't help but laugh because more often than not, the guys driving on the wrong side are policemen !

It's a real funny feature here, this thing of saying : "OK guys, beware, because from this day on we're going to apply the law!". See ? First you announce a law, and later on, at regular intervals, you announce that, lo and behold, you will actually enforce it. It lasts for a while, and then it's back to 'normal' until the next round. Priceless.

And no matter how many campaigns they run, how much posturing and arms waving and media involving ... you still see, let's say... a good 40% of motorbike drivers with no helmet on. And that's in Pattaya. Back in the countryside, I bet people don't use helmets for fear of being laughed at by other drivers.

Edited by Yann55

Enforce the law, arrest and punish drivers in this heat, fat chance... They will be way to busy at their regular checkpoints (ATM) stopping people for not wearing helmets etc... kerching...thumbsup.gif

The RTP spokeperson forgot to say that the road traffic rules don't apply to drivers of luxury German cars, or Italian sport cars...cheesy.gif They are HiSo's (in their minds anyway) and cannot be touched...coffee1.gif

Too bad. My car is British. So I guess I have to respect traffic rules form now on...

Actually: Are there any laws?Or just local informal agreements. Now about Tax discs and number plates?. The first seems to be relatively obligatory, the second optional. I always wear a helmet between the 24th and the end of the month.