Best place to live? Really?

There are quite a few members who just can't stop gloating about their excellent life be it in Chiang Mai, Hua Hin, Nakhon Nowhere or Bangkok for that matter.

I mean, I live in Bangkok and and although I have a pretty worry free life here I would never say it's a best place to live. I lived in Toronto and Montreal which is actually in a few surveys as the best place to live and I never thought it was the best place to live.... and that's after I lived all my life in Serbia.

So, why do so many members claim this "best place to live" since we all know this nothing can be farther from the truth.

I think most are stuck with their gf/family and have no place to go. I mean what else can it be?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean what else can it be?

it could be (and most probably is) your lack of comprehension and/ or lack of imagination that one can have an excellent life in the shittiest place that exists on this planet.

I have lived in some truly dreadful oilfield sh!tholes and in that context Thailand is actually a very enjoyable place to live.

If the world was my oyster, then I would live in southern France or northern Italy, but language, cost, culture, visa and a million other reasons prohibit that.

The best place to live should be the place you are currently living. Make the most of the situation. I have lived in the USA, Malaysia (3 different cities), and now Bangkok. They all have their charms. In BKK for example, I have lived in areas that were frequented by tourists and areas (like my current situation across the river in Bang Khae) that are strictly workaday Thai neighborhoods. They have their own ups and downs but I try to take advantage of the character of each locale and enjoy it as much as I can. The beauty of BKK is that you are only 20 minutes away from everywhere and anywhere in the city....when the constant chattering and stares and odd comments about the weirdo farang (why is he here in our part of town?) get me down...I just hop on the BTS and head over to farang land, where rainbows happen everyday and it rains wonderment and backpackers like cats and dogs.

There are quite a few members who just can't stop gloating about their excellent life be it in Chiang Mai, Hua Hin, Nakhon Nowhere or Bangkok for that matter.

I mean, I live in Bangkok and and although I have a pretty worry free life here I would never say it's a best place to live. I lived in Toronto and Montreal which is actually in a few surveys as the best place to live and I never thought it was the best place to live.... and that's after I lived all my life in Serbia.

So, why do so many members claim this "best place to live" since we all know this nothing can be farther from the truth.

I think most are stuck with their gf/family and have no place to go. I mean what else can it be?

hates the comments ppl make on bkk being the best place to live. Mentions a few cities that might rank higher yet for some inexplicable reason choses to stay in bkk rather than toronto or montreal.

hates the comments ppl make on bkk being the best place to live. Mentions a few cities that might rank higher yet for some inexplicable reason choses to stay in bkk rather than toronto or montreal.

No

It's subjective. It's objective. There are things you can measure but each individual has their own priorities. For example a place with a hot employment market might be a negative to a retired person. Pleasant temperate weather wouldn't work for a skiing nut. Etc.

On the other hand, a place like Aleppo Syria would probably only be best for a war photographer ...

Edited by Jingthing

It's subjective. It's objective. There are things you can measure but each individual has their own priorities. For example a place with a hot employment market might be a negative to a retired person. Pleasant temperate weather wouldn't work for a skiing nut. Etc.

On the other hand, a place like Aleppo Syria would probably only be best for a war photographer ...

I'm guessing, but I suspect most war photographers don't like to live as close to the office as you and I do.

Aleppo must be pretty grim right now.

Aleppo-5.jpg

To answer the OP, most towns and cities in Thailand are dumps.

Thailand-based expats lie: they lie to each other; they lie to themselves,

They repeat ad-nauseum how happy they are and how wonderful their lives are. You don't need to be a psychologist to see through the shit.

===

People in Monte Carlo live their lives; expats in Thailand talk about their lives.

I have lived in some truly dreadful oilfield sh!tholes and in that context Thailand is actually a very enjoyable place to live.

If the world was my oyster, then I would live in southern France or northern Italy, but language, cost, culture, visa and a million other reasons prohibit that.

Straight and true

Edited twice on a short sentence. Think I get dyslectic. 555 one self

Edited by hugocnx

Actually, in a few years there is nowhere to hide. The globalists will take over and you are bnothing no more. Read as much as you can and see what you think you can make out of it.

No really. I like it here.

But would you feel the same if your IQ were greater than 150?

I've no idea what my IQ is. IQ tests are an intellectual dick-ruler for the insecure.

Thanks for the helpful advice. Is there anything you could recommend for the emotionally insecure?

I've no idea what my IQ is. IQ tests are an intellectual dick-ruler for the insecure.

Ha!

Did you read that thread?

I laughed out loud when I saw a comment from some guy claiming to "measure" 156.

==========

Here are some "barometers"

1. The guy who claims to be the happiest and most fulfilled is usually the one with the fewest western friends. The friends he claims to have are in almost all cases acquaintances of his wife or girlfriend.

2. Mr "I'm so happy" is more often than not married to a Thai woman at least fifteen years his junior. In virtually every case he will have bought her a house and car. In 99% of cases the woman will not work.

3. Mr "I'm happier than you" will know curiously little about Thailand. Sure, he may speak the language, but he'll know jack shit about this country's history and/or culture.

And so on. Apologies for being a bore.

Ha!

Did you read that thread?

I laughed out loud when I saw a comment from some guy claiming to "measure" 156.

==========

Here are some "barometers"

1. The guy who claims to be the happiest and most fulfilled is usually the one with the fewest western friends. The friends he claims to have are in almost all cases acquaintances of his wife or girlfriend.

2. Mr "I'm so happy" is more often than not married to a Thai woman at least fifteen years his junior. In virtually every case he will have bought her a house and car. In 99% of cases the woman will not work.

3. Mr "I'm happier than you" will know curiously little about Thailand. Sure, he may speak the language, but he'll know jack shit about this country's history and/or culture.

And so on. Apologies for being a bore.

You're digressing again.

I find proximity to the office to be helpful, so really what might be good for me might not be so good for someone that worked in a different city.

I'd recommend choosing a place to live based on what you wanted to do, and to whom you wanted to be near, rather than any measure of the place itself. The best place to live is more about you than the place

SC

Best place to stay, must surely be at home with family in any country

No, that's the best place to live. You're as well staying close to your work. When you're working, at least.

I've never worked one day, I live on my parents

I love Bangkok. It's my favorite place to be in the world. I lived there for six years, and returned to my home country to a job that will provide me with decent retirement income. In 10 years, I'll be moving back to Bangkok.

First of all, I love big cities. I love them for the energy, for the diversity, for the convenience and availability of goods and services.

I love the transportation system in Thailand; it's so much more diverse and efficient than what we have where I'm from (the US). It's particularly good in Bangkok...there are so many ways to get around. And while it's not the best walking city in the world, by any means, it works well enough for me. When I'm there, I average 10-15k a day walking.

I like the availability and diversity of food--not just Thai food, but food from all over the world.

I like the way that knowing Thai language opens so many doors, and makes one feel so welcome. There are other countries in Southeast Asia where I speak the language better than I speak Thai, but I don't feel as welcome there, and I don't feel that my knowledge of the language gets me as far, socially.

I love the many immigrants from Isaan in particular. I hang out with them often and have a great time. I don't generally hang out with working class people in my own country.

I won't lie, I love the bars and the nightlife. Something else I never partake of in my own country.

I like the way age is, for the most part, respected in Thai culture, the polar opposite of the US. Granted, this would be true anywhere in Thailand, not just Bangkok.

There are things that annoy me about Bangkok, and Thai culture in general, and of course about the military dictatorship...but there are things that would annoy me everywhere. I can deal with them.

Everyone's different, and wants and expects different things out of a place to live. But for me, in Bangkok, the plusses far exceed the minuses.

Some people feel that any place they live is fantastic.Other people think that any place they live is terrible.

As far as Bangkok it's so hot,crowded,air pollution is bad.It's way to crowded.And yes aren't the 2 hour traffic jams really fantastic.

I visit Bangkok but I would never live there.