Best place to live? Really?

It's subjective. It's objective. There are things you can measure but each individual has their own priorities. For example a place with a hot employment market might be a negative to a retired person. Pleasant temperate weather wouldn't work for a skiing nut. Etc.

On the other hand, a place like Aleppo Syria would probably only be best for a war photographer ...

Aleppo must be pretty grim right now.

Aleppo-5.jpg

To answer the OP, most towns and cities in Thailand are dumps.

Thailand-based expats lie: they lie to each other; they lie to themselves,

They repeat ad-nauseum how happy they are and how wonderful their lives are. You don't need to be a psychologist to see through the shit.

===

People in Monte Carlo live their lives; expats in Thailand talk about their lives.

NATO and assorted affiliates can be proud of themselves........plenty of construction billions for Halliburton.....and this is just one street,in one town F.........g butchers.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's subjective. It's objective. There are things you can measure but each individual has their own priorities. For example a place with a hot employment market might be a negative to a retired person. Pleasant temperate weather wouldn't work for a skiing nut. Etc.

On the other hand, a place like Aleppo Syria would probably only be best for a war photographer ...

Aleppo-5.jpg

They repeat ad-nauseum how happy they are and how wonderful their lives are. You don't need to be a psychologist to see through the shit.

===

People in Monte Carlo live their lives; expats in Thailand talk about their lives.

NATO and assorted affiliates can be proud of themselves........plenty of construction billions for Halliburton.....and this is just one street,in one town F.........g butchers.

You haven't read news since 2007??

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-halliburton-kbr-idUSN0523848520070405

My brother, who has a good bit of money, claims Hawaii is the best.

I lived in Maine one year. Beautiful place (for about 3 months out of 12), but in the winter, we only had 6 or 7 hours of daylight per day. I couldn't do another winter there.

I've heard New Zealand is awesome. But it rains A LOT!

For me, Thailand is pretty good.

Except for high season through hot season.
Looking forward to June and some rain.

Could go back to where I come from except I might get arrested for letting my kid walk home from school, there are no kids outside for him to play with, and most all of my old friends are Donald Trump fans and shoot deer in their spare time.

No place is perfect.

I think the OP confuses best, with perfect, no place is perfect,but given all the other options it is the best for them

it might not be for you but it is the best for them, if so you need to find the place that's good for you.

Depends on your situation (working Vs retired, married/kids Vs single/carefree) but for me (working & single) Singapore is the best place.

So much so I came out of retirement & got another job here after 1 year (fair bit of which was spent in Thailand as I thought I was going to settle in Bangkok, but the traffic/pollution got to me).

Edited by JB300

Aleppo-5.jpg

===

Yes.... comparing to the best city to live in

chiang-mai-thailand-31st-aug-2014-the-bu

Aleppo-5.jpg

===

Yes.... comparing to the best city to live in

chiang-mai-thailand-31st-aug-2014-the-bu

Your photo shows Chiang Mai.

I've never understood why people view that city as anything other than a dump.

Same goes for most of Thailand's north and northeast.

But ..... I've often thought Nong Khai and Mukdahan are quite nice.

Its where your happiest, might not be same for all, but who cares...

This forum, shows to many burnt Farangs, who arent happy even in there own country of birth, waisting life, being bitter...

JUST BE HAPPY, WHERE EVER YOU LIKE

Aleppo-5.jpg

===

I read the "news" everyday, so what about Halliburton who gives a f...k whether they are going to do the reconstruction, NATO and its dodgy mercenary goons were responsible for this destruction and some Yank outfit will benifit from the rebuilding.....thats the way they operate...win win situation for the perps. and utter disaster for the unfortunate brown people who once occupied these towns.

I hate Canada or any other place where they measure snow fall. Its depressing places to stay. Even made more depressing when most people wear black, grey and/or white (only). Canada or any cold drab country, is only good for a short holiday when I need to be reminded why I stay in Thailand. First as I mentioned the depressing winters that last forever, the bleak clothing and then the never ending nanny state rules. Although countries like Canada have freedom of speech they don't have freedom of doing anymore. Governments loves rules and regulations which in the end over organise society, to such an extend that nothing seems natural anymore. Yes Canada is a good place for someone that loves the cold and bleak winters, drap clothing and regulated living. For me the freedom of doing/living outstrip any benefit of developed countries like Canada provide.

The best place for one to live...is the place YOU thinks best suits your needs at that time...

Thailand was once the best place in the world for me...people change...needs change...expectations change...sometimes for better...sometimes for worse...

I left Thailand several years ago...glad I did for many reasons...I am healthier, happier, and more contented in my new surroundings...

Thailand...the NEW Thailand...is not for everybody...

This one is a no brainer.

Pattaya, the City of Love, is the best city in the world by a mile. I have a feeling that when I die and go to heaven, it will be a let down after living here.

Has EVERYTHING, cheap and cheerful. Warm weather year round, international food, 27 golf courses, three water parks and the best gogos in the world bar none. Nice and compact, easy to get around.

I don't know what karma I collected in my previous life, but think I must have been Mother Theresa or something.

I thank the good lord everyday for leading me to this great city. What a place!!

If there was a better place I would leave tomorrow, but no such place exists.

I mean what else can it be?

it could be (and most probably is) your lack of comprehension and/ or lack of imagination that one can have an excellent life in the shittiest place that exists on this planet.

You seem to have missed the point. Having an excellent life does not mean you live in the best place. However, either term is patently subjective--my favorite time and place was Vietnam in the late sixties; I am sure many would disagree wholeheartedly.

There are quite a few members who just can't stop gloating about their excellent life be it in Chiang Mai, Hua Hin, Nakhon Nowhere or Bangkok for that matter.

I mean, I live in Bangkok and and although I have a pretty worry free life here I would never say it's a best place to live. I lived in Toronto and Montreal which is actually in a few surveys as the best place to live and I never thought it was the best place to live.... and that's after I lived all my life in Serbia.

So, why do so many members claim this "best place to live" since we all know this nothing can be farther from the truth.

I think most are stuck with their gf/family and have no place to go. I mean what else can it be?

hates the comments ppl make on bkk being the best place to live. Mentions a few cities that might rank higher yet for some inexplicable reason choses to stay in bkk rather than toronto or montreal.

duh, read what he said, "I lived in Toronto and Montreal which is actually in a few surveys as the best place to live and I never thought it was the best place to live...." Perhaps the inexplicable reason is he doesn't think either is the best place to live.

Have a house in Bangkok (Bang Sue) and a house in Pattaya on the Dark Side. You could not pay me enough money to get me to move back to Bangkok. I am an American and you could not pay me enough to move back to the USA. Circumstances change wherever you are but Thailand offers one big advantage. It is damned easy to find quality female companionship either long-term or short-term. I have a 39-year old live-in GF (half my age) who I am very happy with. I provide her with enough money to support her two kids and her parents. She in turn takes care of the household and puts up with me.She has a terrific sense of humor and is quick to smile. I on the other hand spend a couple of hours a day at the gym to keep in some kind of shape. Life is good for me at this particular moment and I can not imagine living anywhere else but I can fully understand why others could be unhappy. Everybody has to "stomp their own snakes.".

Aleppo-5.jpg

===

I read the "news" everyday, so what about Halliburton who gives a f...k whether they are going to do the reconstruction, NATO and its dodgy mercenary goons were responsible for this destruction and some Yank outfit will benifit from the rebuilding.....thats the way they operate...win win situation for the perps. and utter disaster for the unfortunate brown people who once occupied these towns.

So why do you mention a company you know nothing about?

I mean what else can it be?

it could be (and most probably is) your lack of comprehension and/ or lack of imagination that one can have an excellent life in the shittiest place that exists on this planet.

When lacking an expanded vocabulary, or the ability to express a counter-point in writing, it is easy to rely on crude terms and assumptions.

Chiang Mai suits me, despite those posters describing it as a dump. I can get around it without needing a GPS or street directory. Wide variety of restaurants.

No doubt there are better places in the world to live. However, as I can live as a rich man in CM, I don't care.

Case-by-Case......I LOVE the water........so my place will have water. Or love mtns......or this, or that...

live where YOUR PASSION CAN PROSPER!!!!!

it's really that simple.....and if you can't afford your #1 city, get close.....or go to #2........etc...

It's OK to be told which city is great, but your GUT will know which one really works....

But I will tell everyone to move to Mexico City so less people will be where I want to go.....lol

It seems that the people that complain the most about Thailand and its idiosyncrasies seem to be the ones who have the most choice of where to live their lives (older expats)

If you listen to those guys you'd never end up doing anything or going anywhere but being miserable where you are while you're at it.

. I've said it before, those guys wouldn't crack a smile with a fist full of $50's in a brothel.

The place I've fallen in love with and wanted to relocate to has change quite a few times but now, and for quite some time, it's Thailand. So at the ripe old age of 38 this'll be my home for the foreseeable future.