Pattaya schools overflowing?

Good morning.

I spent a couple days in the beach side resort area of Pattaya this past weekend. Was visiting a good friend.

Long story short...I went to a strange looking string of massage parlors over near the Beach(Jomitien). At one said establishment, there was a mom out front with her what looked like 12-14 year old son. I stopped and starting talking with her.

She said her son was going into M.1(7th grade) next week, but that the Pattaya area schools were "full" at this level and she had to enroll him in a school 10 KM away. I found this odd in a way, didn't know schools filled up. I though Thai's had a "right" to schooling in Government schools?

This 10 KM is a lot for a kid this old, via Song Tow I guess on Sukhumvit or perhaps the mother will take him on her motorcycle? She didn't have a car, that much was established.

Are schools in other larger cities also overcrowded and turning away students? and such status put back on single moms as their problem, not societies?

Yes... Here in the South where I live we wanted to enroll out kid in a pre k school... Turns out there is a year waiting list for this and after talking to several schools we finally gave up

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure pre k would fall under what I assume is a Government mandate, however with that said...

Was there ever an indication that with a little grease the wheel could spin? I ask in sincerity because a friend told me it does happen at the Primary and Mat. levels. I've not of course verified his story. I don't want to believe it, extorting poor people to simply enroll their child in school...It would be sick to the core.

Schools normally have a limit on the students they take on, dictated by the number of teachers and class rooms they have. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Bribes can happen at schools with a very good reputation where a lot of parents want to enroll their child, but means another students place is taken.

Bribes tea money etc.

The schools call it donations

Mate paid 400K to get kid in a school in silom.

I paid 200K one off to get into another school.

If the school is good and your kid can get in easily I don't see any problems

Yes... Here in the South where I live we wanted to enroll out kid in a pre k school... Turns out there is a year waiting list for this and after talking to several schools we finally gave up

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure pre k would fall under what I assume is a Government mandate, however with that said...

Was there ever an indication that with a little grease the wheel could spin? I ask in sincerity because a friend told me it does happen at the Primary and Mat. levels. I've not of course verified his story. I don't want to believe it, extorting poor people to simply enroll their child in school...It would be sick to the core.

It's unfortunate but yes. Money greases the admins wheels to find space for a kid. If the offer is made it will surely be accepted. I say this only about the South though because most of the corruption being tackled has not come here yet. I am sure it still goes on though in the larger cities.

One thing that you did not state as you probably did not ask, was this an issue with government school or finding a school where her son could learn.

I taught at a school in Lad Krabang where all the students lived at the school.

But I have also taught at schools and have students that their parents have difficulty getting them in good schools.

The problem is that while it is easy to get permission to set up and run a Pratom school it is very difficult to do the same for a Matayom or high school the rules are stricter.

Even here in Pathum Thani the kids fight to get into the better schools and have long rides on buses to get to the school they choose or can get into.

One thing that you did not state as you probably did not ask, was this an issue with government school or finding a school where her son could learn.

But I have also taught at schools and have students that their parents have difficulty getting them in good schools.

The problem is that while it is easy to get permission to set up and run a Pratom school it is very difficult to do the same for a Matayom or high school the rules are stricter.

Even here in Pathum Thani the kids fight to get into the better schools and have long rides on buses to get to the school they choose or can get into.

A reasonable curiosity I suppose. Since the mom wasn't "rich" and in fact, almost if not a pimp and prostitute herself, while I'm sure she wants the best for her son, it wasn't IMHO a matter of quality of the school. Now that you mention long bus/van rides and commutes, I do recall this at other schools even for "regular" programs. Reputation and face I thought, but maybe some reality in it as well. Schools with a "bad" reputation don't seem to lose same with the parent(s). I've heard it directly from several students over the years.

Then school in lat krabang had boarding ?

Like to know which one

If any good or not

Thanks

Bribes tea money etc.

In other words for everybody to understand - your mate's kid and your kid didn't qualify to enrol those schools based on their GPAs.

Really great parents admitting that their children aren't as bright as believed by many around them.

Edited by aidenai

Curious as to how this was paid, I mean to ask...in cash? and to the Directors middleman or to a "teacher" at said school in cash? Thanks.

When we went to see if the children could get into the school which was I believe around October they asked would you like to make a donation towards the school ?

up to you how much after talking too many friends it seemed the norm was anything from 10000 baht to 100,000 baht per child.

Not forgetting there was loads of kids trying to get in this school

When your accepted they send you the bill short-term and donation

I don't know about Pattaya, but the 'overflowing schools' problem runs the length and breadth of Thailand. I live in Samut Prakarn which is right next to Bangkok and my Thai step-son recently went through this. I can explain what was going on with the massage lady and her son.
My step-son's school stops at M3 (15 years old) at which point the choices are: government schools (M4,5,6), technical or commercial college, and private schools. Sure, the government schools are free and every Thai has a 'right' to apply but the tests are very difficult and there are far fewer places than applicants. The kicker is that all the schools test on the same day. kids can only apply for one so if they apply and fail, they are up the creek without a paddle. Government schools are nearly free and offer a good route to university but places are only offered to the cream of the crop.
My step-son didn't feel he would pass the gov. school test, so he took and (fortunately) passed the test for a commercial college. This is a 'direct to employment' route after 3 years. If he'd failed to get in, it probably would have fallen on me to foot the bill for a private school. That's the grim reality of schooling in Thailand, it's real survival of the fittest (or richest) whatever the government says about offering Thai kids education.

Edited by jadee

Of course, it is not Thailand.

In Manilla schools operate shifts.

Early shift from 5 till 12, late shift from 13 till 20.

Why?

Not enough schools, teachers, instruction materials.

Better said......not enough money.

Curious as to how this was paid, I mean to ask...in cash? and to the Directors middleman or to a "teacher" at said school in cash? Thanks.

Donation to the Alumni Association is the route at Bangkok's top govt. schools. I imagine this more nuanced approach is dispensed with in Nakhon Nowhere.

Donation to the Alumni Association is the route at Bangkok's top govt. schools. I imagine this more nuanced approach is dispensed with in Nakhon Nowhere.

Then school in question was assum Sri racha which also has schools in BKK and karat.

I have seen the alumni logo at the school so I presume is part of it.

This school met mine and my children's needs.

With the sad state of government schools in Thailand the kid might well be better off not going. Perhaps he could join in the family business.

P.S. the schools will only be truly overflowing when the pockets are.

Edited by Keesters

It is a real shame because the Thai school system is bad enough without this happening?

May not have been the real reason. My brother in law's daughter is the same age group and has been going to a school more than 10k away a few years. She made it through her exams and can remain at the school, her friend however failed and has to move.

It is a real shame because the Thai school system is bad enough without this happening?

May not have been the real reason. My brother in law's daughter is the same age group and has been going to a school more than 10k away a few years. She made it through her exams and can remain at the school, her friend however failed and has to move.

What type of exams? I thought the "O-Net" was given near the end of M.3, not at the P.6 level?

On this note, several have mentioned the transition from M.3 to M.4 or going to a "Technical" school. This is not as many perceive "Vocational" schools in the west. Apparently much more common in Thailand. My understand is that even after the three years of Vocational students can apply and get accepted to major Universities. The matter of mandatory military service also comes into play for males.

Bribes tea money etc.

In other words for everybody to understand - your mate's kid and your kid didn't qualify to enrol those schools based on their GPAs.

Really great parents admitting that their children aren't as bright as believed by many around them.

In October when applying for a space in this school the child has to take an entry test of which they passed..

Then when applying on the form it is asked how much you want to donate.

There was definitely more pupils applying than spaces available.

My 2 boys been there 3 years now and their grades have always been 3.5 + so duffers they are not.

In addition to this if your grades don't pass at end of term 1 you can not have October off you need to study as usual and retake the test .

Based on your remark this makes my point, the assumption here is the child didn't past the muster so ship him off 10K further? That is the real answer. This last year and a half there have been a number of Editorals in the Bangkok Post from Thailand scholars who have criticized the system that it needed overhaul from top to bottom even in how they educated and place their teachers, etc.. the Asean community has also put forth their opinion that there is no better time than now to change. Their current PM, has voiced the negatives but has no idea what to do and has been criticized to still doing too little following basically the same system. As for O-net, the report is basically useless and meaningless.

With the sad state of government schools in Thailand the kid might well be better off not going. Perhaps he could join in the family business.

P.S. the schools will only be truly overflowing when the pockets are.

All government schools are not equal. The very best and most desirable schools in Thailand are government schools, as are the worst. It is the location, reputation, history, leadership, cost, vision and, most importantly, admission policy, that creates either a high-achieving mainly middle-class pupil base or a low-achieving working class/rural peasant pupil base.

It is the same the world over, just in Thailand the opportunities for kids from lower classes to move up socially, economically and in terms of education are far more limited than in the West and are often stymied much earlier in the development process.