Non-NES and can start teaching within a month- possible?

Hi,

I'm an Israeli and I work in Israel. I speak English fluently and i have a BA degree.

The thing is, I don't want to quit my job before signing a contract with a school, and I need to give my employer a month ahead notice. Do you think it's possible?

I can't just pop up for a few days in Thailand and look for a job (many ask me to come for an interview in the next few days) as I did it already a month ago.

What did you do a month ago?

Schools, high schools anyhow, start classes this and most next week. You are IMHO not going to get some sort of binding offer and contract to start a month from now, no matter how desperate the school might be. They will just as I continue to say, hire a Filipino and continue lying to the parents about the English aspect, implying the Filipino's are farangs and NES's and well educated and trained to be teachers.

What did you do a month ago?

Schools, high schools anyhow, start classes this and most next week. You are IMHO not going to get some sort of binding offer and contract to start a month from now, no matter how desperate the school might be. They will just as I continue to say, hire a Filipino and continue lying to the parents about the English aspect, implying the Filipino's are farangs and NES's and well educated and trained to be teachers.

Don't be ridiculous, Thais know what a "farang" is, you clearly don't.

You should be able to do an interview on skype. As the term starts next week, most schools won't be interested because you don't start for a month, but some will be desperate.

Try looking for jobs in the provinces rather than just the main centers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Care to share your experience last month?

Would you hand in your resignation n o w and hope for the best?

Schools want applicants to be available and in the country. Then you could say that you are here and able to start right away. (There has been a lot of openings one month after the start of the new term. And I know of desperate schools who haven't even advertised yet. With many never ever advertising on www.ajarn.com etc. )

Does your present job suck?

Won't you have to down shift your life style?

My job doesn't suck, and I'm not willing to gumble and quiting before signing a contract.

The thing is, that I was there more than a month ago (I visit there often) and I didn't notice so much interest, coming from the schools, as I do in the last week or so.

I get applications from people residing in another country, but we can very seldom accommodate the waiting period to take them on. A few have wanted to be completely legal before arriving, which invariably turns out to be a nearly impossible task because of variations in how the different embassies handle these situations.

A few have been able to secure a non-immigrant B visa in the home country, but that's about it.

Lady luck will have to be on your side and you will need to be quite well qualified to get a school to that can afford to wait. Israel is not one of the countries that is approved as Native speakers of English, so you will need a TOEIC or other English language proficiency exam as well.

Best of luck.

I get applications from people residing in another country, but we can very seldom accommodate the waiting period to take them on. A few have wanted to be completely legal before arriving, which invariably turns out to be a nearly impossible task because of variations in how the different embassies handle these situations.

A few have been able to secure a non-immigrant B visa in the home country, but that's about it.

Lady luck will have to be on your side and you will need to be quite well qualified to get a school to that can afford to wait. Israel is not one of the countries that is approved as Native speakers of English, so you will need a TOEIC or other English language proficiency exam as well.

Best of luck.

Years ago, in the Sydney Embassy, I had to produce my contract from the school and some other stuff. It wasn't too painful, as long as the school sends the correct documents. I got three months, then extended for another 9 when I was in Thailand. I was even able to change jobs without leaving the country, but that was 14 years ago. Not sure now, as I've been in the same place since then.

This year, we employed a walk-in, who was more qualified than the applicants received on the ajarn.com ad.

It very much depends on the embassy involved. We had a German guy who was interviewed and given a job for the upcoming school year. He returned to Germany for a holiday before school commenced and was given a non-Immigrant B visa with only a letter signed and stamped by the Director of the school. I think he had a copy of the school registration papers as well.

Another person in another country was required to submit all kinds of documents and never did satisfactorily complete the process. He finally got on a plane and flew over on a tourist visa, the paperwork was done and he went to Laos and got the non-Immigrant B visa.

There are variations in the embassies and there are also changes from year to year, so it's hard to say for sure what the actual situation is.