Sex tourism: Thai trade boosted by 'repressed' tourists in Pattaya

webfact

It would take only a fraction of the enormous amount of money being spent on fighting ISIS to chatter a few transport planes and offer all expenses paid Pattaya holidays to ISIS fighters. After that the insurgency will not last very long.

Pattaya, the worlds best weapon to fight jihadism. Why wait to die a painful death to get laid in haven when you can do it now.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The article seems primarily to be aimed at creating an image of the Arabs in Thailand - although it does give a nod to other aspects of prostitution , just to cover arse...as t were.

Truth remains that Thailand is a county that relies on prostitution for a substantial part of it's economy, both as a part of the tourist trade and as a larger part catering to the home market.

It seems that a country that sees of the exploitation of women as an integral part of its economy will continue to do so so long as those in power refuse to accept that their own use of women in this way is unacceptable. so long as leaders view women as "wrapped candy" I can't see a fundamental change happening soon

I agree with all you have said. What is unsaid though, is most of these women participate by their own free will. Further, given a chance to do something else would choose prostitution every time. There is zero life for them back in the village. So many times I have heard the refrain "I only fo this for my family". Every time I ask the same question "Did your mother/father/grandmother ask you to do this type of work?" You know the answer, I have never heard a "yes". Prostitution is relatively easy work, lets the participant feel justified by sending money home and has a good level of income with a chance of being "rich". Good work if one can ignore the emotional toll it takes. It will only decline when they fix school/education and create job opportunities with decent earning opportunity. That of course is an even bigger task. The answer to reducing the prevalence of prostitution (ending it, never) is not enforcing laws against it - this just pushes girls on to the street and makes things worse. It's not going to be solved by closing drinking establishments or instilling higher moral standards in youth. The answer is in a simple concept called distribution of wealth.

The Thai women that enter the sex trade do not do it because they like sex. They do it to avoid starvation for themselves and their families. Most are from Issan where there are hardly any jobs that pay a living wage. Most of the available joba pay around 7K Baht per month. Could you live on this while taking care of 4 people?. They migrate to Bangkok, Pattaya, and Phuket in search of a way to sustain their life. They become actors in a way of life that they do not like, but have to endure. Some of them get into alcohol and drugs to ease the pain and humiliation at the hands of 'customers'. Many of them dream of finding that one person who will 'rescue' them from the life they must lead to survive. Once they get into their late thirties and onward- they begin to realize that their time is running out and start to lose hope. Some go insane; others steal; most just fade away and let the next generation take care of them. The cycle starts again.

The tourists in this article have no understanding of the cycle of poverty these women endure and some of these tourists exploit the women. The fact is most Thai women in the sex industry do not like men at all and feel exploited by men. They will never tell you so but if you learn and understand Thai- you will hear it in their voice and see if in their face once they let their guard down. If given the choice between a job that pays a living wage and being a prostitute- most will leave the sex industry. As long as the tourists keep coming and the lack of economic assistance to impoverished Issan continues. the sex trade will continue sadly to be a growth industry.

I have a story to relate that contradicts your conclusions.

A few years back i was opening my guest house and restaurant in Rayong and was looking for English speaking staff. It turned out to be very difficult in Rayong so we went to Pattaya to place some job ads in local print and to post fliers in local shops. By the end of the day we had about 30 flyers left so we took a walk down the beach road where the older ladies were gathering to wait for the even older customers. My thinking was exactly as yours: "If given a chance to earn a living wage the ladies of the night, especially the ones way past their prime, would leave the game." The reality was very surprising. We gave out all of our remaining flyers and my Thai partner had conversations with almost every woman who took a flyer. We were offering 12K salary + tips + room/board. Pretty good for unskilled labor. Guess how many callbacks we got. Big, fat zero. Not a single one was interested.

Of course 30 is pretty small sample size and one cannot make statistically significant conclusions. And yet it did illustrate that the dynamics and motivations of the game are more complex than you make them out to be.

You try having a drink in Kuwait and see what happens. They should be banned from the country in an effort to help them be good Muslims

Not sure about Kuwait, but I lived in the UAE for 10 years and alcohol was available from state-owned shops and in hotels. Technically is was not to be consumed by Muslims, but that was never an insurmountable hurdle.

Quite true but not the same ambiance as a go go bar in Thailand.

Here we go..Muslims and Arab bashing by some ignorant racist plonkers.The article seems to advertise Thailand to middle eastern youngsters as if they don't know it.Sad to publish Thailand in that sense Prostitution and more...very unhealthy

Because they purport to hate Western values and culture, and yet take to it like ducks to water when given the chance. I would suggest offering free holidays to Pattaya for the Isis crowd, might get them to lighten up a bit.

Ain't gonna happen. They already get anything they want at the point of a gun.

Would be nice to send photos showing how they behave abroad to their families and employers back home.

Hypocrite suckers bah.gifbah.gif

If this was done there'd be even more of them coming over here to enjoy what Thailand has to offer....

perhaps a win-win ...?

Maybe this was the fate of the terrorists that the Russians warned the RTP about a few months ago.

In the UK and the USA theere are numerous programs to help poor, uneducated, and willing women to obtain the skills that will allow them a chance to find a job other than welfare. The problem in both countries is that entry level jobs do not pay what ia considered a living wage for those countries. You are correct- welfare often pays more than working. However, in Thailand there are no real programs that will propel these women in jobs that pay a Thai living wage. In addition, if they have a child- the husband has run off and pays no child support and there is no way to get them to pay it, unlike in the West where there are legal solutions

Yes, hard work and sharing expense with others will allow a survival existence. However, when one sees their 'friend' go to Pattaya and make 40K per month by selling their body and get plenty of money to help themselves and family- that is a better choice to many. They can bury their dignity and rationalize that it won't last long as they will meet their 'savior' and get rescued.

In Thailand, a college education doesn't provide much of an increase in salary- starting around 12-15K. If you want to work as a government employee- your family needs to already be in the system or you have to know someone with influence.

The cost of living in Thailand has increased tremendously in the last 10 years.Then add in the expenses with transportation and school expenses and there is no way that 300 Baht per day can pay for all of this. I feel sorry for those forced into the 'entertainment' industry because of family responsibilities.

Edited by Thaidream

The Thai women that enter the sex trade do not do it because they like sex. They do it to avoid starvation for themselves and their families. Most are from Issan where there are hardly any jobs that pay a living wage. Most of the available joba pay around 7K Baht per month. Could you live on this while taking care of 4 people?. They migrate to Bangkok, Pattaya, and Phuket in search of a way to sustain their life. They become actors in a way of life that they do not like, but have to endure. Some of them get into alcohol and drugs to ease the pain and humiliation at the hands of 'customers'. Many of them dream of finding that one person who will 'rescue' them from the life they must lead to survive. Once they get into their late thirties and onward- they begin to realize that their time is running out and start to lose hope. Some go insane; others steal; most just fade away and let the next generation take care of them. The cycle starts again.

The tourists in this article have no understanding of the cycle of poverty these women endure and some of these tourists exploit the women. The fact is most Thai women in the sex industry do not like men at all and feel exploited by men. They will never tell you so but if you learn and understand Thai- you will hear it in their voice and see if in their face once they let their guard down. If given the choice between a job that pays a living wage and being a prostitute- most will leave the sex industry. As long as the tourists keep coming and the lack of economic assistance to impoverished Issan continues. the sex trade will continue sadly to be a growth industry.

100% agree with this post . These woman suffer more phycological damage then anyone else I can think of . To say they enjoy sleeping with a fat /drunk/whatever nationality , is unreal . They do it out of necessity to support kids back in the village . If you really must have a relationship with one then counsiling wouldn't be a bad suggestion .

When asked why so many young Middle Eastern men chose Pattaya for their overseas vacations, Fahad, 29, grabbed his crotch with both hands, shook vigorously, and laughed.

And the more experienced older foreigners can marry them, he said.

Exactly the same as many young foreigners marry prostitutes. The only difference is those younger foreigners are sometimes unaware of their new wives previous occupation.

The article seems primarily to be aimed at creating an image of the Arabs in Thailand - although it does give a nod to other aspects of prostitution , just to cover arse...as t were.

Truth remains that Thailand is a county that relies on prostitution for a substantial part of it's economy, both as a part of the tourist trade and as a larger part catering to the home market.

It seems that a country that sees of the exploitation of women as an integral part of its economy will continue to do so so long as those in power refuse to accept that their own use of women in this way is unacceptable. so long as leaders view women as "wrapped candy" I can't see a fundamental change happening soon

Makes me laugh when I compare this article to the one where a cop told two ladies sunbathing in bra and panties to be careful and that they might be attacked. Its all about the money honey

Interesting response related to offering a job for 12K plus food and board. To me, that would offer a person a chance to help both themselves and their family. You are right- the situation is more complex than we can imagine. As I mentioned prior, the longer the girls are in the game, the more difficult it is to leave it. They become used to a way of life that provides them with a secure income and a chance to strike it 'rich'.Those that are older may have deceived themselves that they can still find the 'one' to take them away for a better life or they think they can still make better money doing what they are doing.

It is really hard to figure Thais out- in my experience- you have to know a person for years to get them to open up.

When I read stories like these, I am saddened by how I spend my time.

The topic is uncalled for if thai visa wants to be a leading neutral news agency. This is something that some drunks would describe in a pub or a closed group of similar interests at home....I hope the editorship maintains a high standard in content, privacy and journalistic ethics. Why highlight a Kuwaiti....even if it be true. What is the purpose to scorn ..... I am trying to understand the angle. I do in most of my posts try to hit home the need to educate locals and to bring them to being responsible. Thai visa should be a beacon light with the privilages of the platform it has in the eyes of locals and foreigners. I agree with Puukao... We the expat community is looking for authentic content where we can interact with one another to the betterment of our envioroment and society. Not the gossip column for those negatively inclined to get over a chip that they have on their shoulder.
Into everyone's life a little gossip should fall spices up the day. Lighten up at our age a little fun and laughter and stories like this are required. Its refreshing we were all young once and can appreciate what these lads are doing having fun we did it. We were or most of us anyways were raised in countries where a little fun could be had.

Just like any other group of sexpats from any corner of the world.....not breaking news by any means just disgusting on so many different levels.....I try to avoid all this rubbish as best I can and try to lead a normal life......??

I remember years ago what was normal and now we have the "new" normal and God knows what we will have in the future if there is one. I just want to ride the train of life till my lifeline expires. On board!!! Edited by elgordo38

I am sometimes sadden by Forum replies, but not the VISA itself. This small VISA article is important. Setting aside the puritanical nature of the Islamic world which we are all aware of, lets talk about the entire issue of sex trafficking, sex work, and sex tourism. I doubt one in a thousand VISA readers know that all of those issues are severely exaggerated and demonized by fundamentalist Christian puritanism and extreme feminism arising from America. George W, Bush had to reward conservative religious voters who elected him. He, as it turned out, was also a stooge for extreme feminist leaders. In 2002 GW Bush enacted the President's Emergency Plan for AIDs Relief (PEPFAR). The US became the world's biggest funder of humanitarian efforts to end AIDs. It was rife with problems. For example, if a group gave away condoms, they were denied funds or lost existing funding. Those who received funds had to take a pledge, built into the funding documents, to oppose prostitution and include a plan to aggressively attack prostitution. Remember the act of Congress is supposed to be about AIDs, but it was actually an worldwide attack on prostitution and remains so to this day. In 2005 an updated act required the same pledge from any organization receiving funds for academic research. Now the focus has shifted from AIDs to trafficking, but the goals remain the same - attack prostitution based on American sexual values often out of touch with the rest of the world. In June, 2013 the Supreme Court ruled this pledge unconstitutional - but only in the USA - http://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journals/lancet/PIIS0140-6736(13)61468-3.pdf - The requirement to aggressively attack prostitution remains in effect internationally. It is this that gives license to huge exaggeration about sex trafficking. It creates the social environment this issue lives in. It creates the market for inflammatory books, blogs, and movies. Keep this in mind in late June when the State Department's Trafficking in Persons Report dominates the news for a few days.

I compliment ThaiVisa. Any journalist or organization willing to provide any - ANY - honest point-of-view regarding sex tourism, sex work, or sex trafficking is okay by me and should be supported by us all.

When I read stories like these, I am saddened by how I spend my time.

The topic is uncalled for if thai visa wants to be a leading neutral news agency. This is something that some drunks would describe in a pub or a closed group of similar interests at home....I hope the editorship maintains a high standard in content, privacy and journalistic ethics. Why highlight a Kuwaiti....even if it be true. What is the purpose to scorn ..... I am trying to understand the angle. I do in most of my posts try to hit home the need to educate locals and to bring them to being responsible. Thai visa should be a beacon light with the privilages of the platform it has in the eyes of locals and foreigners. I agree with Puukao... We the expat community is looking for authentic content where we can interact with one another to the betterment of our envioroment and society. Not the gossip column for those negatively inclined to get over a chip that they have on their shoulder.

I do not see this story as stigmatizing to the farang community in the least. Neither do I see where the statistics provided on who the customer base actually is does any damage to the pursuit of truth. If you have a dispute with the reliability of the information reported, then state it. As for your desire to 'educate locals and bring them to being responsible' I would suggest you put down the White Man's Burden for a moment a take a long, hard look at just what THAT has accomplished. The behavior of the Kuwaiti men is the result of the repressive nature of THEIR OWN cultures and the overwhelming majority of those men are nonetheless capable of understanding that and abide Thai cultural norms when they are in the Kingdom. I applaud the authors of this article and suggest they have opened the door for better understanding of the dynamics of Thai society.

Interesting that a few people have commented on Bar girls etc not wanting to leave the game for "normal" paying jobs.

I had an acquaintance in the real estate business. He was fed up with employing University graduates with good English skills, basically they were lazy and their English was rubbish. He tried to recruit Bar girls etc because in general they were the opposite, incidentally he was offering very good wages.

It sort of worked for a while but all of them returned to the game, not because of the money but because they actually preferred the life, their words!

When they tell you it is all about sending money back home it is not strictly true in most cases, they do send some back but keep the majority for themselves.

"It seems that a country that sees of the exploitation of women as an integral part of its economy will continue to do so so long as those in power refuse to accept that their own use of women in this way is unacceptable. so long as leaders view women as "wrapped candy" I can't see a fundamental change happening soon"

Seems like a little middle class moralising going on here (sex can't be recreational, sex can't be part of a business transaction, etc.). What leads you assume that a sex industry is synonymous with the exploitation of women? Certainly, there are women in the industry who are exploited and abused, and everything possible must be done to combat this. But some women have no qualms about 'selling sex' and some men have no qualms about purchasing it, and where such consent exists, we shouldn't patronisingly suggest that the activity is exploitative. A woman using her body to make money is nor more exploitative than an athlete, male model, or coal miner using his. People like yourself believe that you'd be doing women a favour by shutting down the sex industry (does sound patronising, right?), but I don't think you'd find much support among the women themselves ... and I doubt that many would consider themselves 'exploited'. [Of course, the retort would be that they need to be 'educated' or have their 'consciousness raised' .... more than a little insulting].

Your post is full of assumptions about both my opinion and the sex industry ....i think before you put finger to keyboard you should at least familiarise yourself with the mechanics of the sex industry. furthermore it would help if you re-read my post with an eye to understanding it and instead of making prejudiced, stereotypical judgments, take a long hard critical look at the trade and why it flourishes in Thailand, a country where prostitution is illegal.

Most Muslims are such hypocrites. Well at least those guys in black in Syria are practicing according to actual scripture..

Most Muslims are such hypocrites

Edited by silent

When asked why so many young Middle Eastern men chose Pattaya for their overseas vacations, Fahad, 29, grabbed his crotch with both hands, shook vigorously, and laughed.

And the more experienced older foreigners can marry them, he said.

Course, that would never be the case with your beloved cos you have a lovely Issan girl, right??

The sex industry is like any other. If there is a demand for it, then a supply will sonn be created. If the demand ceases, by design or by accident, then the supply will soon dry up.