Jomtien Hotel Security Boxes Robbed in Suspicious Circumstances

webfact

Jomtien Hotel Security Boxes Robbed in Suspicious Circumstances
Story by Albert Jack

box.jpg

PATTAYA: -- At 3.30pm on Monday 9th May Pattaya police were called to the Jomtien Plaza Residence on Thappraya Road, close to Jomtien Beach, after receiving reports of an alarming incident.

At the hotel a Russian couple, Mr Oleg Dunaev, aged forty-nine and thirty-eight year old Miss Olga Mironova, both residents of the hotel, made statements reporting their safety security boxes at the reception area had been robbed.

A review of the hotel security cameras reveal that at 11pm the previous evening a man wearing a blue, hooded shirt and a face mask approached the reception desk. Staff later said he claimed to have lost his safe key and needed to borrow the master key, which opens ALL boxes, to access his belongings.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/224279/jomtien-hotel-security-boxes-robbed-in-suspicious-circumstances/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2016-05-16

From my experience it always needs 2 keys:

Key 1: - The individual key, specific to each box number, currently issued to guest XXXXX.

Key 2: - A master key which is the same for every security box in that 'bank' of security boxes. Must be used in conjunction with key 1 above.

This story seems to suggest having the master key alone gives total access to open every security box.?

In the photo it looks like a headless thief committing the alarming act

Now that would be very suspicious..........................rolleyes.gif

Not if he had his hands tied behind his back while cutting his own head off with a samurai sword ..it would be suicide.

At 3.30pm on Monday 9th May Pattaya police were called

From the article:

At the current time it is not thought that hotel staff have been questioned as to the nature of their negligence, incompetence or, possibly, involvement in the crime.

one week later and the police still hasn't questioned the staff..., makes me question the police as to the nature of their negligence, incompetency or, possibly, involvement in the crime...

but I know the answer already: all of the above to some extent or other coffee1.gif

Key 1: - The individual key, specific to each box number, currently issued to guest XXXXX.

Key 2: - A master key which is the same for every security box in that 'bank' of security boxes. Must be used in conjunction with key 1 above.

This story seems to suggest having the master key alone gives total access to open every security box.?

Um.....I think you'll find that 99.9% of hotel security boxes of this nature are a single key set of boxes bought at Homepro or similar.

They certainly won't be Bank grade security boxes (where one keeps one's gold bullion and bearer bonds) with twin key entry.

So a single "master" key is quite normal to access all/any boxes by staff - which is a worry. A bash with a partially boiled potato would probably open the doors anyway.

I never use hotel security boxes or safes. Prime targets for any little tea leaf.

In my days of working with international hotel chains there were 2 locks but no master key to gain access to both locks. In the event of a lost key then locks had to be drilled with the guest paying for this together with the new locks. Just sayin'.

I think the staff believe or know that POLICE Men are either stupid or will play daft and accept the story.Any hotel receptionists will go to open the box before the guests very eyes.I am not going to say anymore except 5555555555

I feel they all are in it. How can they just give a master key to someone like that to open all the safe box. They should have ask him which one is his and then get some description of what is in it. The best was that the guest given a box should be registered so they know which box belong to which guest.

Um.....I think you'll find that 99.9% of hotel security boxes of this nature are a single key set of boxes bought at Homepro or similar.

They certainly won't be Bank grade security boxes (where one keeps one's gold bullion and bearer bonds) with twin key entry.

So a single "master" key is quite normal to access all/any boxes by staff - which is a worry. A bash with a partially boiled potato would probably open the doors anyway.

I never use hotel security boxes or safes. Prime targets for any little tea leaf.

I find it hard to believe they would have gone to the expense of buying suited looks also nowadays you only have to get a picture of the master key and a good crocked locksmith can make one.

Better going for the two key system, with some high tech keys as most common locks can be picked with ease.