NZ tourists held over 1-year visa overstay

geovalin

Two New Zealand tourists were yesterday held at an immigration station in Siem Reap awaiting deportation after they refused to pay a fine for overstaying in Cambodia for nearly a year after their visa expired, according to police.

Siem Reap provincial police deputy chief Chao Mao Vireak said the women were located last Tuesday at a guesthouse in Siem Reap called Asia Happy.

Hariata Andree Brison, 27, and Ann Lizzie Miriama Tangihaere, 37, were asked to pay an undisclosed fine for overstaying their visas, but the women said they didn’t have enough money and wanted to return to their country.

read more http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/nz-tourists-held-over-1-year-visa-overstay

Maybe they want to get deported., for free ? If you don't have the money to pay the fines, how you gonna buy the tickets?

seems you stay there till you rot. I knew a Dutch man who had the same trouble in Thailand about 12 years ago now, it took him over 6 months before somebody paid for his ticket, when back in Holland he had to be hospitalized, 3 broken ribs that had turned infectious, pneumonia, and an untreated broken nose that the prison authorities said he got when he ''fell over''

They will not be sent home for "free" and the Embassy will not pay their fines or buy tickets etc.

https://www.mfat.govt.nz/en/countries-and-regions/south-east-asia/thailand/new-zealand-embassy/embassy-services-for-new-zealanders/

The Embassy will assist (if necessary) with contacting family and/or with the transfer of funds from NZ

If these ladies are Māori the Embassy may also help them in contacting various Māori charities etc in NZ who may assist.

Maybe they want to get deported., for free ? If you don't have the money to pay the fines, how you gonna buy the tickets?

If Cambodia is like Thailand in that regard then will be in an immigration jail while their embassy will try to contact their relatives to pay the fine and transportation.Sometimes the embassy will loan the money with a contract to be paid back but they will not give away any money.The over stayers can stay in the jail with imaginations taking off a few $ a day of their fine but I don't know if their transportation can be worked out in $s paid also.I had a friend in there for two weeks and he said that a Japanese had been there for over two years..It is better to pay or get a loan if you can.They will not be able to go free of charge.

seems you stay there till you rot. I knew a Dutch man who had the same trouble in Thailand about 12 years ago now, it took him over 6 months before somebody paid for his ticket, when back in Holland he had to be hospitalized, 3 broken ribs that had turned infectious, pneumonia, and an untreated broken nose that the prison authorities said he got when he ''fell over''

I bet he won't overstay again. Good lesson

They will not be sent home for "free" and the Embassy will not pay their fines or buy tickets etc.

https://www.mfat.govt.nz/en/countries-and-regions/south-east-asia/thailand/new-zealand-embassy/embassy-services-for-new-zealanders/

The Embassy will assist (if necessary) with contacting family and/or with the transfer of funds from NZ

If these ladies are Māori the Embassy may also help them in contacting various Māori charities etc in NZ who may assist.

I imagine they hope their Iwi will assist...................

Maybe if the Whānau (family) fail to help.

Yes, since the whanau should have accumulated plenty of money from the pakeha tax dollars, in the form of benefits. Or the whanau could go and stamp their feet down at the special benefits for maori's office. Edited by greenchair

Yes, since the whanau should have accumulated plenty of money from the pakeha tax dollars, in the form of benefits. Or the whanau could go and stamp their feet down at the special benefits for maori's office.

Perhaps they'll now discover some realities of the real world and saviour some real South East Asian hospitality.

If Cambodia is like Thailand in that regard then will be in an immigration jail while their embassy will try to contact their relatives to pay the fine and transportation.Sometimes the embassy will loan the money with a contract to be paid back but they will not give away any money.The over stayers can stay in the jail with imaginations taking off a few $ a day of their fine but I don't know if their transportation can be worked out in $s paid also.I had a friend in there for two weeks and he said that a Japanese had been there for over two years..It is better to pay or get a loan if you can.They will not be able to go free of charge.

Good luck to the embassy if they loan the the money. They will not want to pay it back even if they sign a contract.

Yes! It is good that Thailand keep those bad tourists who over stay

their welcome, and their visas, as these people do not spend any money,

and contribute to Thailand economy. So they should have to go to jail

and be a bourdon on the country.

What? That is all wrong, because all of us tourists do actually

have to spend money to stay in Thailand.

It is too bad that Thailand does not make the stay for us tourists

and travellers easier, by actually modernizing the process of

staying in that country. One way would be to let tourists stay for 90 days

without any visa, and also have 6 month and one year visas available

for a reasonable cost for others who want to stay longer.

I guess this would be asking too much of the Thailand Tourist

industry, and others in the country who could make things easier, but

won't do that.

Geezer, the grouch.