Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

Like Fergie never spent big bucks or never used to out spend his rivals..b*llocks he broke UK transfer record a few times and of course he never shelled out millions on guys like Veron, Van nostlerooy Man United were the kings of shelling out the dough for top players until someone knocked them off their perch, first a certain Jack Walker followed a while later by some Russian and a some Arab Shiek..well boo hoo! but by any means they didnt half splash the cash back in the day! (as did liverpool too during the 70´s and 80´s..every successful side has spent big! Even Forrest too first million pound signings.

Not quite celebrating the title yet but United, Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal can forget about it, as bad as form may/can drop I just dont see Chelsea losing 4/5 more matches than the aforementioned teams will, we may even drop 8 points but question is will be 8 more than city?

Still Shame on em all if a small team that sold half their better players and lost their manager is the only one putting up a challange!

can't argue with a word of your second paragraph.

• Like 1

Keith, your argument is so hopelessly flawed and i think you know it.

We, as did Liverpool, had to weaken to spend the 100m in so much as we had to sell our one world class player. This, as you well know is a huge difference, non comparable to strengthening year after year buying in world class players. i might also add that we sold a further 25m worth of players. Its called balancing the books. Whilst Chelsea have made the effort to adhere to FFP the spending in recent years has been huge and i haven't begun to discuss the wages to you which plays a huge part in securing transfers that others just cannot compete with.

Then only surprise to me last summer was Mourinho not getting a better quality back up to Costa as that really is the only potential weakness in your squad.

Yes Keith its all about the money when it comes to winning leagues as yourselves and City have proven.

I know what i know Carmine,and i know what i have seen......since Glen Hoddle took the mantle and then carried on further by Gullit we were only going in one direction,and it may surprise you to know that Vialli was the most successful manager in Chelsea,s history before the Russian and Jose turned up,so when someone says our success over the last 20 years is purely down to to the dosh.............i just put that down to ignorance.

• Like 1

We, as did Liverpool, had to weaken to spend the 100m in so much as we had to sell our one world class player. This, as you well know is a huge difference, non comparable to strengthening year after year buying in world class players. i might also add that we sold a further 25m worth of players. Its called balancing the books. Whilst Chelsea have made the effort to adhere to FFP the spending in recent years has been huge and i haven't begun to discuss the wages to you which plays a huge part in securing transfers that others just cannot compete with.

Then only surprise to me last summer was Mourinho not getting a better quality back up to Costa as that really is the only potential weakness in your squad.

Yes Keith its all about the money when it comes to winning leagues as yourselves and City have proven.

I know what i know Carmine,and i know what i have seen......since Glen Hoddle took the mantle and then carried on further by Gullit we were only going in one direction,and it may surprise you to know that Vialli was the most successful manager in Chelsea,s history before the Russian and Jose turned up,so when someone says our success over the last 20 years is purely down to to the dosh.............i just put that down to ignorance.

Its a pleasant fiction Keith.

• Like 1

Its a pleasant fiction Keith.

No Carmine it,s Fact..............get your cohort ( Alfie Stat-0 Conn) to check it out.......it,s Gianluca Vialli i,ve even spelt it for ya.

Well that wasn't difficult, but you summed it up when you said "before the Russian turned up" clap2.gif

Edited by alfieconn

Well that wasn't difficult, but you summed it up when you said "before the Russian turned up" clap2.gif

Are you totally thuccking thick or what? Twice Fa cup winners League Cup winners, European Cup winners cup winners,Super Cup Winners 2 top 4 Finishes in the Premier League, Quarter Finalists in our 1st attempt in the Champions League getting past 2 group stages to get there..plus 3 times losing semi Finalists in Fa Cup and Cup winners cup........yeah BEFORE the Russian turned up.............get it now....already successful.

• Like 1

Are you totally thuccking thick or what? Twice Fa cup winners League Cup winners, European Cup winners cup winners,Super Cup Winners 2 top 4 Finishes in the Premier League, Quarter Finalists in our 1st attempt in the Champions League getting past 2 group stages to get there..plus 3 times losing semi Finalists in Fa Cup and Cup winners cup........yeah BEFORE the Russian turned up.............get it now....already successful.

So the long and short of it is, were you more or less successful before the Russian came ? how many times did you win the league title in 98 years before the Russian came ? how many times after ?

After suffering the tedium of International qualifiers and friendlies, we're back to uninterrupted Premier League with West Brom at the Bridge on Saturday. No injury worries so, with a fully fit squad, you would expect three points against an ordinary side. So why do we, with midfield journeyman like Dorrans, Brunt,Morrison and Gardner in their side, who are about the slowest imaginable, have problems? For the last four years, the game has been decided by the odd goal. They seem more comfortable away from the Hawthorns, where they have beaten Leicester and Spurs and drew with Southampton this season. The way we are playing, we should wipe the floor with these, but the statistics show otherwise.

After suffering the tedium of International qualifiers and friendlies, we're back to uninterrupted Premier League with West Brom at the Bridge on Saturday. No injury worries so, with a fully fit squad, you would expect three points against an ordinary side. So why do we, with midfield journeyman like Dorrans, Brunt,Morrison and Gardner in their side, who are about the slowest imaginable, have problems? For the last four years, the game has been decided by the odd goal. They seem more comfortable away from the Hawthorns, where they have beaten Leicester and Spurs and drew with Southampton this season. The way we are playing, we should wipe the floor with these, but the statistics show otherwise.

Sure the stats don't lie but i think the difference in this more complete Chelsea side are the additions of Fabregas to open things up and Costa to clinically finish.

Yeah,should put at least 4 past the Baggies,but Jose just seems hell bent on shoring up the defense if we go 1 up. From his point of view,he,ll be thinking as much about Schalke on Tuesday.....so go all out 1st half get a lead then down tools. Team .....untouchable 10 then choose one from Willian or Ramires.

Yeah,should put at least 4 past the Baggies,but Jose just seems hell bent on shoring up the defense if we go 1 up. From his point of view,he,ll be thinking as much about Schalke on Tuesday.....so go all out 1st half get a lead then down tools. Team .....untouchable 10 then choose one from Willian or Ramires.

We need to match or better their workrate which is the only thing going for them in this match. Man for man,we are technically better by far. But if we get lazy and start playing keep ball on the half way line, we could come unstuck. They will probably play a five man midfield as per usual. That's a good point, Keith. Why is it that managers, when playing against the weaker sides, put out a few second 'stringers' first, then only bring on the big guns in the second half? If it was me, I'd do it the other way round.

We need to match or better their workrate which is the only thing going for them in this match. Man for man,we are technically better by far. But if we get lazy and start playing keep ball on the half way line, we could come unstuck. They will probably play a five man midfield as per usual. That's a good point, Keith. Why is it that managers, when playing against the weaker sides, put out a few second 'stringers' first, then only bring on the big guns in the second half? If it was me, I'd do it the other way round.

I'm with you,..start with your best side get on the front foot first, dictate the pace of play,and only change things when the game is won or in the bag. I can see Jose leaving a few definite starters on the bench for the Cup Tie with Derby,but as for the Epl and Champions League he does n,t leave much to chance. I don,t foresee a problem tomorrow. Tuesday will be a bigger test though.

I'm with you,..start with your best side get on the front foot first, dictate the pace of play,and only change things when the game is won or in the bag. I can see Jose leaving a few definite starters on the bench for the Cup Tie with Derby,but as for the Epl and Champions League he does n,t leave much to chance. I don,t foresee a problem tomorrow. Tuesday will be a bigger test though.

Keith, you always field your strongest sides for the PL and the CL, and field weaker sides for the worthless capital one/carling whatever its called cup.

It would be madness not to and he's just doing what any manager would do! However in Mourinho's case his second string could finish in the top four so what does it matter really?

PL is back.

Side to face WBA and reasoning!

Courtois

Fillipe Luis, Zouma Terry, Azplicueta

(Rested Cahil and Ivanovic, Aziplicueta hardly palyed since Arsenal match, due to red card and non participation in internationals last set and current set of matches)

Matic, Ramierez, Salah Wilian Oscar

Fabregast rested as to not aggrivate injury hardly rested all season, bigger match coming up Tuesday night, Schurlle rested chomping at the bit to play

in germany! Hazard rested, hardly had a break all season. Salah needs more playing time to stay sharper)

Up front Tree trunk AKA Drogba.resting Costa, who hardly played since last international break. Save him for Schalke match

If we cant beat WBA with that team we don´t deserve to win the league!

• Like 1

Keith, you always field your strongest sides for the PL and the CL, and field weaker sides for the worthless capital one/carling whatever its called cup.

It would be madness not to and he's just doing what any manager would do! However in Mourinho's case his second string could finish in the top four so what does it matter really?

That's my point,Carms. I would field our strongest side first, even in the early rounds of the Carling Cup and the FA Cup. Get the game won by half time and hopefully knock the stuffing out of 'em, then make changes at half time. All you hear from players is that they want to play all the time, so give them the opportunity to back up their words. They're fit enough to take it nowadays.

• Like 1

I agree and with the best and most organized defense in the league i doubt many leads will be surrendered. The workrate too is phenominal.

Work rate, defence, yes it's good, coz it needs to be with Fabregas in the side. His defensive ability is atrocious. In top European games this could be the short fall btw success and failure.

I agree and with the best and most organized defense in the league i doubt many leads will be surrendered. The workrate too is phenominal.

Work rate, defence, yes it's good, coz it needs to be with Fabregas in the side. His defensive ability is atrocious. In top European games this could be the short fall btw success and failure.

I think you are wrong about Fabregas. He's the lock picker, there to open things up, provide the assists, link up with Costa. A job he does extremely effectively.

He's not there for his defensive abilities although as in every Mourinho side he's tasked with tracking back, which every midfielder has to do. Theres no passengers in this side which is what i think you are suggesting in his case. Mourinho has the luxury in this side of allowing Fabregas to focus on his primary role and let the hard grafters like Matic and Oscar shut the midfield down when required.

Fabregas was a terrace buy and the likes of Man United must be kicking themselves for missing out. Arsenal apparently didn't need him, make of that what you will!

Edited by carmine

I think you are wrong about Fabregas. He's the lock picker, there to open things up, provide the assists, link up with Costa. A job he does extremely effectively.

He's not there for his defensive abilities although as in every Mourinho side he's tasked with tracking back, which every midfielder has to do. Theres no passengers in this side which is what i think you are suggesting in his case. Mourinho has the luxury in this side of allowing Fabregas to focus on his primary role and let the hard grafters like Matic and Oscar shut the midfield down when required.

Fabregas was a terrace buy and the likes of Man United must be kicking themselves for missing out. Arsenal apparently didn't need him, make of that what you will!

God i hare this spell check! Fabregas was a "terrific" buy wasn't he!!!

you are going to win the league probably by a 10-15 point margin i'd have thought. says enough when you're defense is so hungry to defend their clean sheet despite the three points being in the bag.

As much as its rumoured i don't like Mourinho, he has this side so organized and working so hard as a unit its very comendable

Edited by carmine

Fabregast is playing 10 meters to far infront of Matic which forces Matic forward to plug the gap which in turn is pushing the centre halfs forther forward exposing their lack of pace and wide open to through balls. Fabregast is brilliant at what he does but he does cost us goals. He has be positionally more aware like he was in his Arsenal days at the moment his in Barca mode! playing further up the pitch and high pressure high tempo.

Lock picker he is indeed, but that is the job of of the No 10. Fabregast makes us look so many times like we are playing with two No 10´s you watch the goals we lose, you keep an eye on Fabregast and think where a central midfielder should be!

For the record, I´d prefer Fabregast as the No 10 and Oscar as a good old fashioned No 5, box to box midfielder, like he was under RDM! (I feel it´s his bets position and gives better ballanc eto the side)

Fabregast is playing 10 meters to far infront of Matic which forces Matic forward to plug the gap which in turn is pushing the centre halfs forther forward exposing their lack of pace and wide open to through balls. Fabregast is brilliant at what he does but he does cost us goals. He has be positionally more aware like he was in his Arsenal days at the moment his in Barca mode! playing further up the pitch and high pressure high tempo.

Lock picker he is indeed, but that is the job of of the No 10. Fabregast makes us look so many times like we are playing with two No 10´s you watch the goals we lose, you keep an eye on Fabregast and think where a central midfielder should be!

For the record, I´d prefer Fabregast as the No 10 and Oscar as a good old fashioned No 5, box to box midfielder, like he was under RDM! (I feel it´s his bets position and gives better ballanc eto the side)

Oscar does make the tackles and i think you have a very valid point in adjusting them. either way, no one in this league going to rock the boat but the CL is the big test where anything left to be exploited, will be.

Just for fun! no right or wrong here!

Your all time Chelsea XXI

Rules!

Must be players you have seen play for the blues, either right there at the bridge or on Telly!

any formation allowed,

If possible explain missing names from your era! and your choices

I´ll get the ball rolling!

1 Cech

Terry

Lebouff

Cole

Ivanovic

Defense tough choice! left out Carvalho, in favour of JT, Testament to Carvalho´s talent was that he won the ball! won the challange! if he did nt he would have been horribly exposed in a way mop haired Brazilian has done all too often over past few seasons.Horrible to leave out Le Saux, but Cole is one of the all time great left backs, you just could nt get past him! Solid and easily world best from 2004 to 2012 hands down! I was tempted by an attacking full back in Babayaro! A certain french world cup winner left out Marcel Dessaiey (excuse spelling) Well you know big Ron called him..and he wasnt wrong!

Midfield.

Makalee..Lamps, Wise

Lampard as the attacking Midfielder, lat runs to the box, there was nobody better at it!

Solid block with Makalelee and Wise.

Wide positions

Hazard (left) Duff (Right)

Up front!

Big Jimmy! not greeves but HasstleBaink!

Manager: Ruud Gullit! Sexy football!

Side note: I am in my 30´s dual nationality Spanish/UK brought up in Spain no real memories of previous players prior to satelite TV and Internet revolution.

Apologies in advance. The Chelsea thing comes from my Father, A good man you will agree!

Chock Dee, neame your team!

Oscar does make the tackles and i think you have a very valid point in adjusting them. either way, no one in this league going to rock the boat but the CL is the big test where anything left to be exploited, will be.

I was dieing for us to buy Fabregast back in 2011 before he went on Nou Camp. We could be exposed in CL against much better sides in the CL, more tactically aware..I mean if JonJo Shelvey can walk through centre of midfield and score against us..anyone can!

Edited by DerekMarshall

Hasselbank wasn't fit to lace Greavies' boots Derek!!!

I respect that.

I am not old enough to know (with respect I say)

I am only old enough to know about a TV prog called Saints and Greevsie Saturday afternon 1pmish when my my dad took me to London. During the 1980´s

And your all time XXI is? ....I have shown my eleven show me yours!

I respect your opinion.

Edited by DerekMarshall

Hasselbank wasn't fit to lace Greavies' boots Derek!!!

I respect that.

I am not old enough to know (with respect I say)

I am only old enough to know about a TV prog called Saints and Greevsie Saturday afternon 1pmish when my my dad took me to London. During the 1980´s

And your all time XXI is? ....I have shown my eleven show me yours!

I respect your opinion.

I'm not a Chelsea fan Derek so i'll bow to the opinion of you lads. However there are two names i would include, those of Claude Makalele and Franco Zola.

Dessailly wouldn't be far away i'd have thought.

That was a stroll and much easier than I had envisaged. What was interesting was that, for the best part of the second half, Hazard vacated the left wing and tucked inside, the only width being provided by Ivanovic and Azpilicueta. Now, as good a defender as Azpilicueta is, he cannot skip past players as Hazard frequently does, so much of the probing was through the centre of a very congested penalty box. I reckon Mourinho didn't want Hazard to expend too much energy, and save himself for bigger fish to fry at Schalke. It was also noticeable that the subs, Remy, Drogba and Ramires were introduced only very late on in the game. Schurrle wasn't even used, which makes think that he will feature from the start against Schalke as he must know them very well.

That was fair comment regarding Fabregas, Delboy, but it's stretching it a bit to say he is 'ten metres in front of Matic'. He does his fair share of the rotation of the midfield but, the problem he has is he can't get back quick enough to cover, so it looks, most of the time, that Matic is isolated has to do his work as well. My all time best X1 for what it's worth.

Cech, Ferrer, Terry, Carvalho, Le Saux, Matic, Zola, Wilkins (Ray not Graham), Lampard, Greaves and 'The King of Stamford Bridge' Osgood. It was heart wrenching to leave Bobby Tambling out of the midfield but, he would be on the bench.

• Like 1