Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

I wouldn't say Redrus has a complex humour, being a Chelsea fan all my life its the 1st time I've heard us being called rent boys!, I'm sure myself and my fellow blue boys are an intellectual match to anyone on this site.

Shedend, I think its time for us to stand up and be counted.

100%.

Lamps is still world class and any comments like that are just laughed off any way. All CFC fans know the song:

Super, super Frank

Super, super Frank

Super, super Frank

Super Frankie Lampard

Sun 26 Nov at Old Trafford .........bring it on.

• Replies 15.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To be honest I havent heard you referred to as rent boys either ... but I like the nickname if it is true ... :D

Typical response from someone anti-Chelsea, jumping on the band wagon as soon as they can, it might be a word used about us from northern monkeys but not from the London elite. :o

Lampard won't take offence, he can take it aswell as give it....!

I do not believe you do not know the rent boy nick, its very old. It comes from the area, Earls Court, which in history is famous for young boys.

Stamford Bridge is the capital of rent boy action, most of us are very glad we only have to go there once a year, not every other week like you lot....! :D

I've heard many different fans singing about it, you fella's got selective hearing or what. :o

redrus

I do not believe you do not know the rent boy nick, its very old. It comes from the area, Earls Court, which in history is famous for young boys.

Stamford Bridge is the capital of rent boy action, most of us are very glad we only have to go there once a year, not every other week like you lot....! :D

I've heard many different fans singing about it, you fella's got selective hearing or what. :o

redrus

Come to think of it, all that carry on with rent boys sounds familiar to the Earls Court way, if your into a bit of cottaging Redrus thats up to you but please dont bring this Chelsea thread down to your level!! :D

I've heard many different fans singing about it, you fella's got selective hearing or what. :D

redrus

Come to think of it, all that carry on with rent boys sounds familiar to the Earls Court way, if your into a bit of cottaging Redrus thats up to you but please dont bring this Chelsea thread down to your level!! :D

I quote myself

most of us are very glad we only have to go there once a year, not every other week like you lot....! :D

:o:D

redrus

I've heard many different fans singing about it, you fella's got selective hearing or what. :D

redrus

I quote myself

most of us are very glad we only have to go there once a year, not every other week like you lot....! :D

:o:D

redrus

Ok so you might treat yourself once a year to a bit cottaging, thats your perrogative!! haha

I'm always up for a bit of banter Redrus but when I looked at your thread, I see you have informed the moderators about the post I placed! :D

1-2 United.... :o

redrus

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. if it's 1-2, then we've got all three points :D

Don't forget this is a Chelsea home game ( Old Trafford)

And bye the way Redrus, I love yer banter. You sure you're not a Southerner. My parrots a bit peeved though. He's a Lampard fan.He sure wouldn't feel safe on my shoulder if he thought I was a rent boy

Jose's Carvalho confidence

Jose Mourinho does not believe Portuguese defender Ricardo Carvalho will be sidelined for too long with his injured ankle.

The stopper limped out of Chelsea's win over West Ham on Saturday after turning his ankle in the first half.

The early signs are positive and although Carvalho is doubtful for the trip to Werder Bremen in midweek, Mourinho feels his defender will make a swift recovery.

"Normally I'm not scared about ankles," Mourinho told the club's official website. "I'm more scared about muscles and knees.

"A couple of days, a couple of weeks? I don't know but nothing dangerous."

redrus

And bye the way Redrus, I love yer banter. You sure you're not a Southerner. My parrots a bit peeved though. He's a Lampard fan.He sure wouldn't feel safe on my shoulder if he thought I was a rent boy

Well noticed Lamps (1-2), thats the one thing I hate about watching Chelsea v Man Utd in a London pub, there are so many plastic manc's all of a sudden.

redrus

Well noticed Lamps (1-2), thats the one thing I hate about watching Chelsea v Man Utd in a London pub, there are so many plastic manc's all of a sudden.

Cockney Reds as they are known. Most Mancs support Man City and thats a fact. They have a huge following because they were the governers at one time but we are the team of the last 2 seasons so there will be banter and as Redrus said it is good to have.

Are you a londoner or southern boy Redrus and do you come from Earls Court mate?

Cockney Reds as they are known. Most Mancs support Man City and thats a fact. They have a huge following because they were the governers at one time but we are the team of the last 2 seasons so there will be banter and as Redrus said it is good to have.

:D

I know lots of cockney reds who have followed Utd from the 70's who are loyal as they come. Granted bandwagon supporters jump aboard as you have found out over the last few seasons when your average crowds were in the 20,s early 30's. ermmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Not fact at all shedend

Funny enough, i was at a bar the other week with 5 Mancs (All working in Thailand and yes all come from Manchester) down Sukhumvit watching the match and believe it or not, there were 4 Utd and 1 city fan present. So fact or fiction mate, :D

If you know your history eh, well in your case all 2 seasons of it anywhy :o

Your a football team not a football club, you need history for that me thinks.

Stamford Bridge, or simply The Bridge to the faithful, is the spiritual and physical home of Chelsea Football Club, but it hasn’t always been that way and the site has quite a history itself.

The name and place of Stamford Bridge is one of great significance in English history, being the site in Yorkshire of one the most famous battles of King Harold's reign in 1066 against the Vikings. However it is believed that this is not connected to the naming of the stadium which came about less because of historical significance and more to do with local landmarks and a fair degree of chance.

In the eighteenth century the current Fulham Road and Kings Road area including the site of the stadium and also a stream called 'Stanford Creek' which runs along the route of the present day railway line behind the East Stand and flows down into the Thames.

Where the stream crossed the Fulham Road is marked “Little Chelsea Bridge” which was originally called Sanford Bridge (from sand ford). While a bridge over the creek on the Kings Road was called Stanbridge (from stone bridge). It seems that these two names of the stream and the bridge, 'Stanford Creek' and 'Little Chelsea Bridge', together evolved into the name Stanford Bridge, which again later evolved into Stamford Bridge as the adopted name of the stadium.

The Archibald Leitch designed Stamford Bridge Grounds officially opened on 28th April 1877 and for the first 28 years of its existence, was used almost exclusively by the London Athletic Club as an arena for athletics meetings. Initially, there was a 120 yard long stand along the east side, seating 5,000 people. The other three sides were open, in a vast bowl, the banking of which was made up of thousands of tons of material, excavated during the building of the nearby underground line. The original capacity was planned for 100,000 and at the time, was the second largest venue in the country, behind that at The Crystal Palace.

In 1904 the ownership of the ground changed hands when Mr H A (Gus) Mears and his brother, Mr J T Mears, obtained the deeds, having previously acquired additional land (formerly a large market garden) with the aim of establishing a football team there on the now 12.5 acre site.

The ground was initially offered to Fulham FC, but they declined and so, it was decided to form a new football team. Chelsea Football Club was born and moved into Stamford Bridge in time to start the 1905/1906 season.

The stadium remained largely unchanged for the next 25 years until in 1930 the Shed End terraced area was erected. A vast bank of terracing behind the southern goal it was to become the “Mecca” for Chelsea's most die hard supporters and would forever be associated with Stamford Bridge.

As the stadium developed the Shed End really came into its own in the 60's, 70's and 80's and was the focal point of the hardcore Chelsea fans and the originators of most of the singing and atmosphere. Adorned with a rather unique 'roofed' area (which barely covered 1/5th of the whole terrace) there is debate over how and when it developed the name 'Shed' as it wasn't given a name when it was built.

As the stadium developed the Shed End really came into its own in the 60's, 70's and 80's and was the focal point of the hardcore Chelsea fans and the originators of most of the singing and atmosphere. Adorned with a rather unique 'roofed' area (which barely covered 1/5th of the whole terrace) there is debate over how and when it developed the name 'Shed' as it wasn't given a name when it was built.

The Shed was demolished in 1994 following new laws compelling grounds to be all seater and was replaced with the new "Shed End" seated stand in 1997. The final match with the old Shed was Sheffield United at home on 7th May 1994 although sadly no one knew at the time it would be the last game, so the Shed was never given the send off it deserved.

In 1939 the North Stand was built. A curious stand in the north east corner it was an extension to the East stand and stuck out for being a completely different design to the rest of the stadium but it did provide extra seating. It survived until 1975 when it was demolished and the north end was then open terracing until 1993 when it too was demolished at the start of the modern redevelopment of the entire stadium.

In 1964/65, during one of Chelsea's best periods on the pitch, saw the vast western terrace replaced by a seated stand. The stand was 3/4 seating and 1/4 concrete slabs affectionately known as the 'Benches'. The West stand existed for 25 years until it was the last of the old stadium to be demolished in 1998 and despite by that stage being a rickety, crumbling stand it too was a sad day for many when the old West Stand with it's wooden seats went, and like the Shed, is a source of nostalgia. Yet its replacement is quite simply one of the finest stadium stands in the country costing an estimated £30 million to build, and housing 13,500 people in luxury surroundings with superb views.

In 1973 the East Stand built was built, a marvel of engineering of the time and still one of the most striking stands in the country there's little doubt it was ahead of its time. The only part of the current stadium that survived the mass rebuilding of the 1990's it has though, undergone extensive refurbishment and refitting.

The East Stand, for all its magnificence also has a controversial past. When Chelsea were at their peak in the late 60's and early 70's the then owners decided the all star team on the pitch deserved to be playing in the best stadium in the country. Their plan was hugely ambitious to completely redevelop Stamford Bridge into a 50,000 all seater circular stadium. It proved too ambitious and many feel brought the club to it's knees, forced the selling of the star players, relegation and nearly forced the club into complete ruin by the start of the 1980's. It took another 20 years to rebuild not only the stadium and team but the entire club, yet for all that, the East Stand itself remains as impressive today as it always did.

With the club virtually bankrupt in the late 70's the then owners made the drastic decision to sell the Stamford Bridge site to property developers to pay off some of the debts. It was a decision that very nearly saw Chelsea lose it's ground, be forced to share with Fulham or QPR and the famous stadium converted into houses or a supermarket.

With Chelsea no longer owning their own ground they were unable to do any more rebuilding and lagged behind other clubs in that respect. A bitter, expensive and close run 10 year fight by chairman Ken Bates to fight the property developers and win back ownership of Stamford Bridge was finally successful in 1992. With an ironic twist, is was the property developers who were forced into bankruptcy and Chelsea FC got it's ground back.

It was a close run thing at times but Stamford Bridge survived its biggest ever challenge and in 1994 the process of the most extensive redevelopment of any stadium in the country began. Turning a dilapidated and crumbling ground with views miles from the pitch into one of the most impressive in the country.

The rebuilding of Stamford Bridge from the ashes began with the redevelopment of the North Stand area. The old banked terrace that in recent times had housed the away fans was demolished and the new stand began to rise. Renamed as the Matthew Harding Stand in memory of the Chelsea director killed in a helicopter accident it has now established itself as the home of the most vocal and die hard Chelsea fans.

Next up in the redevelopment queue was the new Shed End Stand. The old Shed terrace was replaced with temporary seating for a couple of years before work began on the new Shed End. At the same time the Chelsea Village Hotel, which would be the centre piece of the massive Chelsea Village development, was built at the same time. Like all the new stands as well as being modern, smart and comfortable they were also much closer to the pitch something many feel had hindered Chelsea's atmosphere for some time.

The final piece of the new Stamford Bridge story proved to have one more hurdle to overcome. The lower tier of the new West stand was built on schedule but then problems with the local council over planning permission meant a 2 year delay before the rest of the stand could be built.

Finally that last battle was won and work began on completing the biggest and best part of the stadium, the huge 13,500 seater West Stand. It opened for the first time on 19/08/2001 and marked, at last, the completion of Stamford Bridge which had begun way back in 1973 with the East Stand.

The current capacity stands at 42,522 and the ground has gone from being a huge oval shape to 4 sides close to the pitch. There is almost no part of the current stadium that hasn't markedly changed in the past 10 years. Stamford Bridge is currently the largest football stadium in London and one of the best stadiums in the country and Europe. As well as all the work on the stadium itself the whole 12.5 acre site has seen the building of Chelsea Village. A leisure and entertainment complex housing 2 four star hotels, 5 restaurants, conference and banqueting facilities, nightclub, underground car park, health club and business centre. It has come a long long way since the original athletics venue was first built in 1876!

I know lots of cockney reds who have followed Utd from the 70's who are loyal as they come. Granted bandwagon supporters jump aboard as you have found out over the last few seasons when your average crowds were in the 20,s early 30's. ermmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Not fact at all shedend

Funny enough, i was at a bar the other week with 5 Mancs (All working in Thailand and yes all come from Manchester) down Sukhumvit watching the match and believe it or not, there were 4 Utd and 1 city fan present. So fact or fiction mate, :D

If you know your history eh, well in your case all 2 seasons of it anywhy :o

Your a football team not a football club, you need history for that me thinks.

JJP, I don't know who you are or what team you support but this thread is for Chelsea fans, don't really want to know fact's and figures about the Manc's thanks. Chelsea has plenty of history as the post above points out, we may not of been as successful as you were back in the day but its our time now and long may it reign!!

Flying high, up in the sky, We'll keep the blue flag flying high, From

Stamford Bridge to Wemb(er)ley We'll keep the blue flag flying high :D

Jose relishing United clash

Jose Mourinho takes his Chelsea side to Old Trafford at the weekend desperate to wrestle top spot off Manchester United, whilst at the same time willing to concede that defeat is also a realistic prospect.

Sir Alex Ferguson's charges maintained their three-point advantage at the Premiership summit courtesy of a 2-1 win at Sheffield United on Saturday, with Chelsea also having taken maximum spoils from their capital derby with West Ham.

With Arsenal flattering to deceive and dropping points on home soil, and Liverpool languishing in tenth place, it is already looking that this season could house the proverbial two-horse race.

Mourinho accepts that next week's game will hold the attention of a nation but it is with confidence that he takes his players north, for what is a mouth watering clash, on paper at least.

More than content with how his side have performed both domestically and in Europe this season, Mourinho is again demanding maximum exertions, as he looks to draw level with a United side he clearly respects as genuine challengers to Chelsea's crown.

"The only thing I am not happy about at the moment is that we're second in The Premiership and I want to be first," said Mourinho.

"But we have a chance to go top next Sunday. I'd prefer to be 20 points ahead of them, but it's better to be three points behind than ten.

"It's very open. Last season we had a 15-point gap and when we lost there, everyone was enthusiastic.

"Next week it could be six. If everything goes in the correct way, we will be OK

"We go to Old Trafford to win. If Manchester United beat Chelsea, it's not an earthquake because it's a big team beating a big team."

1-2 United.... :D

redrus

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. if it's 1-2, then we've got all three points

Me a bloody southerner, are you avin a laugh, is he avin a laugh....! :o

I'm glad you noticed, well al fella, your eye sights not as bad as your waistline then.... :D:D

Oi ! leave Red alone hes a Manc ... canal street boy through and through ... :D

Oi, ya tart watch it. Canal Street is a place I've spent some time, Manto's and The Paradise Factory when it was open but, as for my persuasion, ask the Mrs....! :D:D

I was actually born in Harrogate but, moved to Manchester (Davyhulme thenLevenshulme) at 3-4 years old so, adopted Manc the lads like call it.... :D

Seapok, jjp likes the banter too, he's been here longer than me and you.... :D If I'm allowed in ere then he is too....! :D

redrus

Seapok, jjp likes the banter too, he's been here longer than me and you.... :D If I'm allowed in ere then he is too....! :D

redrus

OK Redrus, the more the merrier I suppose, looks like its myself, Shedend & Lamps against the rest, I'm sure the 2 boys would agree we all would fight to protect the good name of the mighty blues! :D

Where are you now, LOS or Farang land? it would be interesting if we all could meet up in BKK on the 14th April for the home game, its also Songkarn so I'm sure a few beers would be had by all.

In the blue corner, the Champions!!, in the red corner, the northern monkey pretenders!! :o

Boulahrouz eyes central role

Chelsea defender Khalid Boulahrouz has insisted he would rather sit on the substitutes' bench than be played out of position.

The 24-year-old Dutchman has so far failed to convince manager Jose Mourinho that he deserves a starting role at centre back, but has seen plenty of action at right back this season.

However, he was pulled off just 23 minutes after coming on as a substitute against Tottenham earlier this month and has started just once since, with Mourinho preferring Geremi at right back.

With Ricardo Carvalho injured Boulahrouz could play at the heart of Chelsea's defence against Werder Bremen on Wednesday, and he is hoping to grasp the opportunity.

"I was not happy to be taken off at Tottenham, but that's a situation I have to deal with," Boulahrouz told The Times.

"I said nothing special to Mourinho after Tottenham, honestly.

"Everybody knows what my best position is. I prefer to play in the middle and it's where I feel more comfortable, but I always give everything I have.

"For me, I prefer to play centre back, even if it means sitting on the bench."

Boulahrouz joined Chelsea from Hamburg in August with a reputation for tough-tackling, and he is enjoying the physical side of The Premiership.

"Chelsea are not too physical, what is too physical?" he said.

"Barcelona, Tottenham and lots of other players are aggressive as well. I enjoy the physical art, which is crucial in England.

"There's a combination of very physical players and very smart players. You have everything in the Premier League, which is why I think it's the best league in the world.

Boulahrouz believes Chelsea are hugely unpopular, but declared that their incredible team spirit would always remain intact.

"Everyone hates us, everyone wants to beat us and everyone wants us to lose, but we always stick together," he stressed.

"I've never experienced spirit like this in my career. Everyone buys into the spirit and it comes from everyone - the manager, the players, the chef."

redrus

OK Redrus, on the 14th April the home game, its also Songkarn so I'm sure a few beers would be had by all.

In the blue corner, the pretenders!!, in the red corner, the northern, real champions!! :o

16th's my birthday fella, I'll be in your dump of a ground I'm afraid.... :D

Pretenders, that's the funniest thing you've said to date. You will relinquish your thin grasp on our trophy.... :D:D

redrus

QUOTE(davidjtayler @ 2006-11-20 04:55:40)

Oi ! leave Red alone hes a Manc ... canal street boy through and through ...

Oi, ya tart watch it. Canal Street is a place I've spent some time, Manto's and The Paradise Factory when it was open but, as for my persuasion, ask the Mrs....!

I was actually born in Harrogate but, moved to Manchester (Davyhulme thenLevenshulme) at 3-4 years old so, adopted Manc the lads like call it....

Seapok, jjp likes the banter too, he's been here longer than me and you.... If I'm allowed in ere then he is too....!

redrus

But Rock Hudson and Elton John were married Red ....? :o

Tis but a minor consideration however, with Sundays major event almost upon us ... and whatever happens always remember ... we could be Liverpool fans .. now that would be the ultimate nightmare ... :D

Archived