Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

A few Chelsea old timers have offered their opinions on the appointment of Conte as the new Chelsea boss. Pat Nevin, not unsurprisingly since he works for the club, as given his seal of approval while Chris Sutton thinks "it doesn't make sense". His reasoning is that Conte is too much like Mourinho and will upset the dressing room. Well, in Mourinho's first two seasons in both spells at the club, he did anything but, accumulating three Premier League titles and a League Cup. Granted his third season stints have been a nightmare but, if Conte follows the same pattern with a three year contract, nobody at the club will be complaining.

There's plenty of decisions he has to make in a very short timeframe, the futures of Terry, Costa, Courtois and Hazard being uppermost in his thoughts. Then there's the problem of attracting new signings to the club, which is without European football next season. Apparently, he's already drawn up a 'shopping list' for the Chelsea board to mull over, although I suspect that he's already sounded these future incumbents out, with the 'promise' of European football the season after next. Finally, there are the multitude of loan outs, mostly young up-and-comers from the Youth Academy, some of which are showing themselves to be more than useful in England and across the leagues of Europe. What Conte cannot do is make the same mistakes that have bedevilled the club in the last few years, which is to allow very good, potentially top class youngsters to leave the club prematurely. No one needs reminding how well De Bruyne, Sturridge and Lukaku for example, have done because hasty decisions were made. Ofcourse, he can't be every where at once to monitor their progress, so he's going to have to rely on his backroom staff, most of which will be coming with him although it's expected that Steve Holland and a few others that are already at the club, will remain.

• Like 2

During recent international break Courtois "refused to offer any assurances that he would remain with a team that was absent from the champions league next season".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

During recent international break Courtois "refused to offer any assurances that he would remain with a team that was absent from the champions league next season".

From what i've seen of his performances this season he'd be better off concentrating on his game.

• Like 1

From what i've seen of his performances this season he'd be better off concentrating on his game.

True. Lately, he's looked disinterested to me.

• Like 1

Just remembered a dream I had last night. In the dream I was looking at the Premier table and shocked to see Chelsea were 2nd (I don't recall which teams were in which position but from my shock City were obviously below Chelsea). I often dream about football but usually about City. Question is, was I dreaming about the past, present or future.

Do you dream about football? Do you dream in colour?

Talking of dreams, last night I had this dream where Tottenham and Leicester were level on points coming into the final game of the season with the Premier League title up for grabs. Leicester came to our place and the weird thing was we were actually trying to win the game. I woke up in a cold sweat.

A few Chelsea old timers have offered their opinions on the appointment of Conte as the new Chelsea boss. Pat Nevin, not unsurprisingly since he works for the club, as given his seal of approval while Chris Sutton thinks "it doesn't make sense". His reasoning is that Conte is too much like Mourinho and will upset the dressing room. Well, in Mourinho's first two seasons in both spells at the club, he did anything but, accumulating three Premier League titles and a League Cup. Granted his third season stints have been a nightmare but, if Conte follows the same pattern with a three year contract, nobody at the club will be complaining.

There's plenty of decisions he has to make in a very short timeframe, the futures of Terry, Costa, Courtois and Hazard being uppermost in his thoughts. Then there's the problem of attracting new signings to the club, which is without European football next season. Apparently, he's already drawn up a 'shopping list' for the Chelsea board to mull over, although I suspect that he's already sounded these future incumbents out, with the 'promise' of European football the season after next. Finally, there are the multitude of loan outs, mostly young up-and-comers from the Youth Academy, some of which are showing themselves to be more than useful in England and across the leagues of Europe. What Conte cannot do is make the same mistakes that have bedevilled the club in the last few years, which is to allow very good, potentially top class youngsters to leave the club prematurely. No one needs reminding how well De Bruyne, Sturridge and Lukaku for example, have done because hasty decisions were made. Ofcourse, he can't be every where at once to monitor their progress, so he's going to have to rely on his backroom staff, most of which will be coming with him although it's expected that Steve Holland and a few others that are already at the club, will remain.

Money usually compensates for lack of European football these days.

Just remembered a dream I had last night. In the dream I was looking at the Premier table and shocked to see Chelsea were 2nd (I don't recall which teams were in which position but from my shock City were obviously below Chelsea). I often dream about football but usually about City. Question is, was I dreaming about the past, present or future.

Do you dream about football? Do you dream in colour?

Talking of dreams, last night I had this dream where Tottenham and Leicester were level on points coming into the final game of the season with the Premier League title up for grabs. Leicester came to our place and the weird thing was we were actually trying to win the game. I woke up in a cold sweat.

If we don't beat United tomorrow i fear your dream will never come to fruition!

Antonio Conte rolls into town, has a chat with Hiddink and the first team squad, after which the team put in a lethargic, lack lustre display against Swansea. Nice start Conte! The first half was diabolical with Miazga showing his inexperience more than once. A much better performance in the second half but, with Pato offering absolutely nothing up front, we never looked like scoring while he was on the pitch. You only had to watch Falcao's movement on the pitch for five minutes, to know that he's different class to Pato. It's a desperate shame that he's had so many injuries.

Interesting to see that Begovic was preferred to Courtois for this game. Hiddink's reasoning was that "Begovic has worked hard in training and deserved to start for this game". Courtois didn't look overly concerned sitting on the bench. Conte has apparently put a couple of Roma players on his 'to do' list and has presented their credentials to Michael Emenalo for examination. A complete waste of time because that man is an imposter and should have been shown the door ages ago. Unfortunately, he'll still have a job in the new management structure.

Edited by oldgit

Unfortunately I finished in time to watch the game..and yes 1st half was shocking.occasional good build up play with no end product.Did see a future star imho in a lad called Mason Mount in the youth cup game against Blackburn...long way to go for him though but a good prospect none the less. You and your Spurs' dream /nightmare Og....caddied for Harry Kane the other day....blaaddy typical..nice bloke and a good golfer to boot...too nice to give a wrong yardage too.

• Like 1

Well done City for exposing what we've all known this season. A slow, brittle midfield which wants to look pretty going forward but cannot live with the pace of a counter attack. Loftus -Cheek has probably got aspirations of being the next Lampard but he's got to remember his defensive duties.. Willian looked after himself in this game and was anonymous. Whoever sanctioned the transfer of Rahman should have checked whether he can tackle first.

Gifted city all 3 goals.down to pisss poor defending and lazy thuckkers not bothering to track back. Can't understand why blind Gus took Pedro off.him and Dave were the only ones putting a shift in.Costa decided to go on holiday in the 2nd half.Wiiian did absolutely nothing. Ivan the terrible your the Captain your supposed to organize the defence.not look around trying to find a scapegoat for your mistakes. Personally unlike the so called professional pundits I don't think its a given that we will be any stronger and challenging for anything next year.unless at least 7 to 10 players are outed imho.

• Like 2

Until his post-match interview, I'd never seen Cahill talk before and therefore wouldn't know if that was his usual manner of talking or if he always sounds like he's just lost a cup final and been told his house had burnt down. He seemed to be offering veiled criticism of some teammates. If anyone else saw it, what was your take on it?

Edited by Bredbury Blue

Until his post-match interview, I'd never seen Cahill talk before and therefore wouldn't know if that was his usual manner of talking or if he always sounds like he's just lost a cup final and been told his house had burnt down. He seemed to be offering veiled criticism of some teammates. If anyone else saw it, what was your take on it?

I didn't see the Cahill interview BB, but Hiddink looked disgusted with performance after the game. You've only got to have one or two players not turning up and, against a team that's fully focused, you will get run over.

I didn't see the Cahill interview BB, but Hiddink looked disgusted with performance after the game. You've only got to have one or two players not turning up and, against a team that's fully focused, you will get run over.

Lets hope so in a couple of weeks!

They're probably saving themselves to turn up for the Spurs match, and then lie down and bend

over when Leicester play them on the last day of the season.wink.png

They're probably saving themselves to turn up for the Spurs match, and then lie down and bend

over when Leicester play them on the last day of the season.wink.png

Quite possibly, but Leicester aside, its a derby and Chelsea will most certainly turn up for our fixture.

Just out of curiosity.

I have a 1998/1999 Chelsea team squad photo with all their signatures on the bottom. Also a Chelsea football same year, same signatures.

Bought it at a charity auction in 1998.

Just gathering dust in a spare room up here in Ban Kam Ping (Chaiyaphum)

Anybody interested in making me an offer. Will need be more than I foolishly bid at the time.

Gifted city all 3 goals.down to pisss poor defending and lazy thuckkers not bothering to track back. Can't understand why blind Gus took Pedro off.him and Dave were the only ones putting a shift in.Costa decided to go on holiday in the 2nd half.Wiiian did absolutely nothing. Ivan the terrible your the Captain your supposed to organize the defence.not look around trying to find a scapegoat for your mistakes. Personally unlike the so called professional pundits I don't think its a given that we will be any stronger and challenging for anything next year.unless at least 7 to 10 players are outed imho.

Probably Keith. I emailed my brother with a list of the loanees that look like they may step in next year, as he gets to see them regularly, but he wasn't exactly leaping around with glee with his assessments. However, they're young and inconsistent and I reckon Conte's got to take a chance with some of them.

I thought that, after the start we made to this season, we would kick on right up until the last game, as most of them didn't break sweat and would be fresh. After the last two 'run outs', my reckoning is that we have personel in the squad that don't give a toss for anybody else but themselves. For example, I get suspicious when certain individuals pick up 'injuries' for a minor knock, then we get an update saying they have had a 'setback', then disappear for two months.

Disappointed to come away with only a draw TBH

Yep, in the periods when Chelsea dominated I thought they'd get a few. Chelsea must be big favourites for Wednesday for a hat trick, but with such talented players as Diaz (the standout last night) and manu Garcia we have a chance. Great to see so many talented young players from both clubs. Very enjoyable.

• Like 1

That was a big improvement on the City performance, the introduction of Matic and Hazard being key. The movement in attack, with Fabregas the conductor in his element, was of the highest class. We still looked vulnerable in defence but at least we had, in Matic and Hazard, pace in midfield to get back and cover. Willian looked to be near his best on this display. Rahman decision making in defence is appalling and needs to go.Our away fans let it be known, in no uncertain terms, that they expect the team to turn up and beat Spurs. Easier said than done but you get the feeling the players got the message.

• Like 1