Cyclist Crushed by Truck After Misjudging Move

webfact

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This clip is exactly the reason i stopped riding my roadbike in Thailand: if you are not hit by a drunk driver from behind there is always the chance something like this happens.

(p.s. the lorry driver should have noticed the crash and stopped as he should not be held responsible in any way, but as we all know you cannot trust the RTP)

Fleeing the scene again.

They should bring in a law, making it a more serious crime than it is already, but we know they won't.

But it clearly was NOT the fault of the truck driver ! Give the guy a break smile.png

To be honest I doubt if he even knew it had happened. On a truck that size he will feel next to nothing.

Hardly fleeing the scene is it? Thought that was for getting out at the scene and doing a runner.

He drove on, maybe could be called hit and run I suppose, but if he didn't know then why stop.

Just a tragic avoidable accident.

Fleeing the scene again.

They should bring in a law, making it a more serious crime than it is already, but we know they won't.

It's not fleeing the scene; some idiot cyclist is desperate to kill himself. Big #)*$# deal. Really the cyclists in this country are worse than the motorbike riders and that very much includes the Farang ones.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Fleeing the scene again.

But it clearly was NOT the fault of the truck driver ! Give the guy a break :)

Fleeing the scene were not my words, I was not the reporter.

At fault or not, it is still a crime.

Was he wearing a helmet?

Dr Henry Marsh is probably England's # 1 neurosurgeon is also a keen cyclist - but he never wears a helmet because he says it's a waste of timeohmy.png

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/10866273/Cycle-helmets-are-useless-says-brain-surgeon.html

He says he also jumps red lights so I'd be careful about taking his advice. Would you take advice from an expert on road safety regarding neurosurgery. His comments lack a certain logic as well. He says the helmets are too flimsy so wouldn't the answer be to use a motorcycle helmet? No helmet must be more flimsy than any type of helmet. The research mentioned concerns how close drivers come to riders with helmets and is quite interesting but it doesn't give any statistics regarding how that effects the chances of survival.

He also says he's only ever fallen off once. lucky him. It doesn't mean that someone else will only fall off once or how badly injured they will be. Unfortunately just having a degree doesn't mean everything or even most things you say will be sensible. Just look at politicians.

Most of the cycling enthusiasts I see here in Isaan do wear helmets. I don't know if he was but in this instance I can't see it making a difference. Nothing will guarantee your safety but a helmet might help in a minor accident.

Certainly a tragic accident and as someone else said a reminder of how easily and quickly things can go wrong.

RIP

Edited by kimamey

was trying to speed through a small opening between,

This says it all really about driving or riding and the Thais, they have just got to fill any hole in the traffic come what may

100% Thainess

RIP and condolences to the family

it looks like the bicyclist brushed against the handlebar of the motorbike-taxi, then both fell to the ground. a cyclist with black shirt, at night without light, driving on the fast lane, and overtaking the motorbike on the wrong left side is more than cracy.

He plays with his own life, if you riding out at night. Even on daytime you have only a 50 percent chance and survive just going for a walk to the store.
R.I.P.

Edited by Bangkokazy

halloween, on 18 May 2016 - 12:29, said:

Was he wearing a helmet?

Helmet or not, the truck's wheels went over his head, how would a helmet helped here?.....

I saw a video somewhere of a motorcycle driver who spilled and a large truck rolled over his head, and he got up and survived. But that was a motorcycle helmet, and most of the cyclist helmets I have seen don't seem up to that challenge.

Sadly, there is only one person to blame here, and that is the cyclist. Having watched the video several times, it is obvious he was making an extremely unsafe move.

My condolences to his family and friends, but this may be a wake-up call to those cyclists who think they are immortal. You are the most vulnerable vehicles on the roads. Wearing any kind of head protection in this incident would not have saved his life.

Be very cautious out there. You only die once.

Was he wearing a helmet?

Dr Henry Marsh is probably England's # 1 neurosurgeon is also a keen cyclist - but he never wears a helmet because he says it's a waste of timeohmy.png

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/10866273/Cycle-helmets-are-useless-says-brain-surgeon.html

If he genuinely believes that it just goes to show that whilst being an idiot regards road safety he knows something about brain surgery.

I'd suggest he tries headbutting a kerb stone, first wearing a cycling helmet then without.

Was he wearing a helmet?

Helmets...bicycle or motorcycle, are not meant to avoid head injuries in a crash. They are designed for the purpose minimizing injuries resulting from a vehicle going down at a slow speed. Many deaths result from what appears to be a fairly light cranial impact, which could have been cushioned by a helmet.

Absolutely right. I'm a cyclist, too. I have broken two helmets, and went down hard once last month, hitting my head without breaking the helmet. It's a great feeling when your head goes WHACK! on the pavement and you know you're gonna be OK.

Although I have to say, it was a crazy move. As a keen cyclist , if I had let myself make such a move, even in the heat of a competitive moment, I would be playing it over in my head for days. I consider anything less than a meter and a half from one of these trucks to be the danger zone,and not to be entered.

I'm stunned that ANYONE would ride a bike on the open road, given the notorious driving habits of Thais...sorry, but the guy was asking for an accident, and he found one...

ironically, a gym membership would have saved the guy's life...and the cost of said membership will probably be the fine assigned to the driver the killed him...

Yet, most of the 3 million people who regularly cycle on Thailand's roads, ranging from school kids, village kids, city cyclists, salespeople, farmers, to sports cyclists and racers will live to a happy old age. You are much more likely to be killed on a motorbike given the greater speed and exposure.

Was he wearing a helmet?

Helmets...bicycle or motorcycle, are not meant to avoid head injuries in a crash. They are designed for the purpose minimizing injuries resulting from a vehicle going down at a slow speed. Many deaths result from what appears to be a fairly light cranial impact, which could have been cushioned by a helmet.

Absolutely right. I'm a cyclist, too. I have broken two helmets, and went down hard once last month, hitting my head without breaking the helmet. It's a great feeling when your head goes WHACK! on the pavement and you know you're gonna be OK.

It would be much safer if you rode sober and you wouldn't fall off.

You can see from the video that the truck driver never even applied his brakes which indicates that he had no idea what had just occured. If he felt any kind of movement from his truck which by the look of the drivers cab didn't move he could have easily have thought he hit a pothole in the road.

I for one think the driver was completely unaware.

The motorcycle taxi driver on the other hand knew exactly what occurred.

RIP young man.

Edited by Rayk

Splitting lanes with a dump truck at night on a bicycle, maybe not such a good idea.

Riding a bike in Bangkok is very foolish during the day. At night it is idiotic.

I'm stunned that bicycles in Bangkok have no proper front and back light at night. Just a silly blinking led at the front or rear.

Safety means they must be seen from other traffic participants. This is more important than wearing a helmet.

Some bicycles even ignore the rules of traffic lights....