Dhammachayo’s followers threaten lawsuits against DSI officials

webfact

Dhammachayo’s followers threaten lawsuits against DSI officials

47_Followers-of-Phra-Dhammachayo-wpcf_72

BANGKOK: -- Followers of Phra Dhammachayo have threatened to sue all officials whom they accused of misusing their authority to frame up the embattled abbot of Wat Dhammakaya with charges of money laundering and receiving stolen objects.

The threatened lawsuits followed the Ratchadapisek Criminal Court’s issuance of an arrest warrant against Phra Dhammachayo as requested by the enquiry officers of the Department of Special Investigation after the monk defied summons to report himself to the DSI to acknowledge the charges against him for the second time.

Mr Ong-art Thamnitha, spokesman of the followers, accused the DSI of abusing its authority and that the interrogating process undertaken by DSI officials was unlawful.

The charges against Phra Dhammachayo stemmed from 20 cheques given to the abbot by Mr Supachai Srisupa-aksorn, former chairman of Klogchan Credit Union Cooperatives.

Mr Ong-art claimed that the embattled monk had received donations ffrom donors in public amidst tens of thousands of people and the latter had never seen the 10 cheques given by Mr Supachai. If Phra Dhammachayo had actually conspired with Mr Supachai to steal from Klongchan Credit Union Cooperatives, he should have tried to conceal the offence, he said.

The spokesman claimed that the embattled abbot had never once withdrawn cash from his bank accounts and the donations given by Mr Supachai in the form of ten cheques had been used for construction works in the temple as wished by donors.

The temple did not suspect how Mr Supachai managed to donate a big sum of money to the temple because he had told the media that he borrowed the money from the cooperatives and that he had already repaid the cooperatives, said Mr Ong-art.

But when it was known that the donation money was misappropriated from the cooperatives by Mr Supachai, the spokesman said the temple had tried to ease the hardship of the cooperatives’ depositors and had returned about one billion baht to the cooperatives.

He also claimed that the public prosecutors had already decided not to indict Phra Dhammachayo in January this year and he didn’t understand why the DSI decided to file charges against the monk.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/163813

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-05-19

The DSI could have been way ahead of this had they done their job properly from the start instead of dragging their feet and allowing the monk to avoid interviews etc.

To add insult to injury a court issues an arrest warrant and instead of acting they decide to write and ask him to surrender within 15 days all of which has played into the hands of the monk and now his followers.

The DSI could have been way ahead of this had they done their job properly from the start instead of dragging their feet and allowing the monk to avoid interviews etc.

To add insult to injury a court issues an arrest warrant and instead of acting they decide to write and ask him to surrender within 15 days all of which has played into the hands of the monk and now his followers.

Agreed, they should have left the courts with that warrant and immediately arrested him. The say it is starting to look the DSI will have a monk holy war with them to get this monk arrested unless he flees. In the many years I have been in Thailand it never ceases to amaze me as to how so many Thai people put all of their faith into these monks, believing all they say. Even when proof is shown that thy are doing wrong it gets twisted to make their followers believe them

The spokesman claimed that the embattled abbot had never once withdrawn cash from his bank accounts and the donations given by Mr Supachai in the form of ten cheques had been used for construction works in the temple as wished by donors.

But when it was known that the donation money was misappropriated from the cooperatives by Mr Supachai, the spokesman said the temple had tried to ease the hardship of the cooperatives’ depositors and had returned about one billion baht to the cooperatives.

If he "had never once withdrawn cash from his bank accounts" then how did he pay for "construction works in the temple" and how did he "return about one billion baht to the cooperative"?

Get a new spokesman, this one just fell loudly on his plump bottom.

Agreed, they should have left the courts with that warrant and immediately arrested him. The say it is starting to look the DSI will have a monk holy war with them to get this monk arrested unless he flees. In the many years I have been in Thailand it never ceases to amaze me as to how so many Thai people put all of their faith into these monks, believing all they say. Even when proof is shown that thy are doing wrong it gets twisted to make their followers believe them

putting "faith" over anything is a big mistake

Is returning the dirty money back to the organization in question acquit the accused of all charges. Just curious.

There have been reports before that his followers / supporters have tried this line.

There was a precedent set by a very recent similar case of dirty money returned. I wonder if the Dhammachayo would dare to cite this case.

Imagine what would happen the to Thai justice system should one be able to successfully file a defamation lawsuit against the RTP whenever an arrest warrant is issued.

Actually nothing would happen. The Justice system is already a failure.

Just assemble a team of 200 or so southern army guys, ensure they are all Muslim so as not to be swayed from their task, and go mob-handed and arrest this so-called pillar-of-society posing as an upstanding pious monk.

The point regarding immediate arrest is well made.

Hope this isn't too simplistic but I see two potential situations, yes they had a warrant but were told from higher up to go easy or possible pure Thainess, why chase after him let's write and ask him to come to us, it's easier and requires minimum effort.

So far by reading the news and personal experience, I can say that there are a lot more crooked Monks then there are respectable.

I remember quite a few years back a Thai monk was pulled up for stealing money and sexual assault, he was quickly whisked away from Thailand and was put in charge of the monastery in serpentine, Western Australia.

With in a few months he was again found to be stealing money and was reported to the police for sexual assault, arrest warrants issued and served, no messing around, like Thailand, he was done and had to face the full force of the law.

So far by reading the news and personal experience, I can say that there are a lot more crooked Monks then there are respectable.

I remember quite a few years back a Thai monk was pulled up for stealing money and sexual assault, he was quickly whisked away from Thailand and was put in charge of the monastery in serpentine, Western Australia.

With in a few months he was again found to be stealing money and was reported to the police for sexual assault, arrest warrants issued and served, no messing around, like Thailand, he was done and had to face the full force of the law.

So what happened to him? Just curious.

OK, so you believe the police instead? You remember Chalerm is a policeman, right? You don't think that tells you something about believing a police press statement?

OK, so you believe the police instead? You remember Chalerm is a policeman, right? You don't think that tells you something about believing a police press statement?
I don't believe either of them... Everybody has their own agenda. That fact doesn't change that the checks were sent and cashed by him.

I don't believe either of them... Everybody has their own agenda. That fact doesn't change that the checks were sent and cashed by him. Also there's no mention that these checks were issued to the temple or directly to him personally. If they were written to him personally in his name i would side more with the police.

Yes we all believe this what that monk said.. those amounts were far larger as the other donations and he would not know about it.. Highly unlikely.

Every abbot in every temple knows how much money is in the temple bank account and how it got there. I call BS.

I love all of the post here, demanding Thailand should do it the way we do back home. We may not like how they operate but it has been working for them a long time do not think they will change because of what a few clowns demand here.