Protesters lay siege to municipal office to demand the ouster of the mayor

webfact

Protesters lay siege to municipal office to demand the ouster of the mayor

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAi4Fqs7UNdrozTdZoj3qUWmENl

BANGKOK: -- The mayor of Nakhon Si Thammarat municipal was whisked out of the municipal office by police and military personnel on Wednesday afternoon as angry protesting residents demanded his ouster for failing to ensure smooth tap water service.

Earlier in the morning, hundreds of the town’s residents rallied in front of the municipal office demanding that the municipal’s plan to commission a private company to operate tap water service in the township for 30 years.

The protesters suspected that the shortage of tap water which has been going on for years was staged by the municipal administration led by mayor Chaowat Senpong in order to justify the transfer of tap water service from the municipal to the private sector.

Mr Chaowat defended that the plan to let the private sector to run tap water service for up to 30 years would be beneficial to the people. But the protesters thought otherwise, saying that they would be overcharged for the use of water by the private operator.

The mayor also claimed that officials had tried their best to find new water sources to keep the tap water running properly.

During the meeting between the mayor and the protesters, one woman among the protesters shouted at the mayor complaining that tap water has not been running properly for five years and she demanded that he quit the office.

Tension flared at the meeting as the protesters booed and jeered Mr Chaowat prompting police and military personnel who were already there to maintain order to whisk him out of the meeting room for his safety.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/163854

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-05-19

The population of Nakhon Sri Thammarat shows the way, but it took five years of no tap water to get them there.

Another terribly written article and in particular, the writer should be aware that the word ouster is not known outside North America.

The population of Nakhon Sri Thammarat shows the way, but it took five years of no tap water to get them there.

Another terribly written article and in particular, the writer should be aware that the word ouster is not known outside North America.

So the writer used a word from the biggest native English speaking population of the world. :rolleyes: I thought ''ouster'' meant celebration...no, I didn't...I read the word in context and immediately understood its meaning: English is great like that ;) Edited by SABloke

If only the masses would get together and attempt to oust another group of poor performing self appointed politicians.

But they did that already and YL is now standing trial. So sometimes indeed it works.

English born & bred here. No stranger to ouster either.

removal would have been more understandable,ouster is an American expression, there are several places in the world where beautiful spoken English can be heard, America isn't one of them.

removal would have been more understandable,ouster is an American expression, there are several places in the world where beautiful spoken English can be heard, America isn't one of them.

Numbers matter, not the language. English might have been the language from the English at one time. Now American English is far more important. That is just life if your a minority just accept it.

If only the masses would get together and attempt to oust another group of poor performing self appointed politicians.

But they did that already and YL is now standing trial. So sometimes indeed it works.

Sorry robblok, but the masses of people you are talking about most certainly are not the masses, not by far mate.

The masses were told to stay at home and on their farms and let democracy and elections and the law take its cores, but once again the masses were cheated out of their right to choose a leader, cheated out of the right to vote and cheated out of the laws of the land.

Get your history right mate.

As for people standing and calling for reliable water supply, bloody fantastic, I think there needs to be more of it.

The problem with this is if you are not of the correct political persuasion then you could be put in gaol?

Unfortunately the village I live in half of them haven't had any tap water for the last 4 months, me my wife and her family family uses our bore for our water, but the rest of the people have use an old well every day for water.

Sorry robblok, but the masses of people you are talking about most certainly are not the masses, not by far mate.

The masses were told to stay at home and on their farms and let democracy and elections and the law take its cores, but once again the masses were cheated out of their right to choose a leader, cheated out of the right to vote and cheated out of the laws of the land.

As for people standing and calling for reliable water supply, bloody fantastic, I think there needs to be more of it.

The problem with this is if you are not of the correct political persuasion then you could be put in gaol?

Unfortunately the village I live in half of them haven't had any tap water for the last 4 months, me my wife and her family family uses our bore for our water, but the rest of the people have use an old well every day for water.

You should get your history right.. the people revolted against the amnesty of a convicted criminal. However an terrorist group aligned to the government did anything to keep them from protesting killing a few children while doing so. In the end the people won and YL stepped down. Your version of history is the wrong one.

You are right about one thing though its great that they calling for a reliable water supply. Its great that they did so. I did not see them wearing any kind of shirts so how did anyone know who they supported same with the mining protests.. also no arrests. Monks protesting no arrests.. only if your trying to cause trouble red / yellow will you be in trouble.. seems that protesting for other rights is still something that can be done.

If you live real secluded then you can expect that not everything is up to spec and the people in your neighborhood choose their own mayor and there are town funds and so on. Can't blame the government for everything. Just like the people protesting there it local level stuff. Maybe the people in your village should oust their local leaders. But I am sure you think the junta caused the problems.

You should get your history right.. the people revolted against the amnesty of a convicted criminal. However an terrorist group aligned to the government did anything to keep them from protesting killing a few children while doing so. In the end the people won and YL stepped down. Your version of history is the wrong one.

You are right about one thing though its great that they calling for a reliable water supply. Its great that they did so. I did not see them wearing any kind of shirts so how did anyone know who they supported same with the mining protests.. also no arrests. Monks protesting no arrests.. only if your trying to cause trouble red / yellow will you be in trouble.. seems that protesting for other rights is still something that can be done.

If you live real secluded then you can expect that not everything is up to spec and the people in your neighborhood choose their own mayor and there are town funds and so on. Can't blame the government for everything. Just like the people protesting there it local level stuff. Maybe the people in your village should oust their local leaders. But I am sure you think the junta caused the problems.

So if the people revolted against YL then why did the yellows block the elections?? Surely, if "the people" (BTW, do you include poor Isaan farmers in that term or only those who pay taxes so should have a right to vote?) rose up against YL then she would have lost the elections and a legitimate government installed instead of a military junta, right?

"You should get your history right."

No, robblock, YOU should get your history right as it has holes in it big enough to drive trucks through it.

I know it...

BS A small minority calling itself a big majority was complicit in a conspiracy called treason tro eject a democratically elested government on the pretext of preventing more of the violence it caused itself.

Lets not get into any more of the Prem/Thaksin argument, it's already been won and lost, and only the few remaining dinosaurs can't see it.

Winnie

Numbers matter, not the language. English might have been the language from the English at one time. Now American English is far more important. That is just life if your a minority just accept it.

Nonsense

You mean the people leaded by Suthep? Ahhh stuhep, an exemplary guy, not corrupted, wasn t involved in the palm oil shortage couple of years ago, didn t sell land reserced for poor people. The people you saw in the streets wete not the majority, they were a part of the wealthy and middle class who support the idea of more taxes paud means more vote power... (by the way where went the money Suthep collected?)

If you follow your reasoning then you should also support the anti junta as the first thing they did was to grant amnesty for themseves because the coup is a high treason case...

Like it or not the ThaksinS were elected, something which is not the case now and even wasn t the case when Abhisit was kn charge...

So let s hope suthep and the popcorn goons will come ouy soon to oust the pm like last time eh?....

The people waited 5 years to revolt, i m guessing we will wait 3 more years then to have the same...

Nor the United Kingdom, as well.

There is a small island off of the Virginia coast called Tangier Island. Locals there speak an English dialect tracing back to the 17th century.

There is a small island off of the Virginia coast called Tangier Island. Locals there speak an English dialect tracing back to the 17th century.

I'm sure that's important.

I'm just not sure why it's important.

Winnie

BS A small minority calling itself a big majority was complicit in a conspiracy called treason tro eject a democratically elested government on the pretext of preventing more of the violence it caused itself.

Lets not get into any more of the Prem/Thaksin argument, it's already been won and lost, and only the few remaining dinosaurs can't see it.

Winnie

Neither side is or was a majority of the people but then that's not what this thread is about.

I don't know if the mayor is being honest or not but if they've had problems with water for that long no wonder they're protesting.

It would be interesting to know if there's any connection between him and the company providing the water.

Well done. It is time for the Thai people to make a change. My wife bitches all the time about things but when I ask her why do you not change it then? She just goes quiet. It is time for the "real Thai people" to learn to stop pulling their heads in and listening to the supposed government and even their elders and contest what is going on. Even the school I work Thai teachers will just bend over and do stupid things just because the director says so, even though they know it is stupid. Time for Thailand people to break the "Sheep mentality" and question the government and what they are told to do. I know it will never happen in my lifetime but hopefully it will happen in the future generation.

Interesting. Sounds a bit like it has a Somerset lilt to it.

Really? gigglem.gif