Thai Drivers License Crackdown?

sceadugenga

I got pulled up in town on Monday by the regular roadblock on the highway near Central and an officer, who looked like he was doing nothing else and spoke reasonable English, asked me for my drivers license.

He took no details or inspected any other documents offered, just questioned me about my license.

I was in Chiang Mai today and spoke to a friend who lives there and he said he had heard several recent incidences of it occurring there among driving expats.

I'm not seeking a debate on the pros and cons of having a Thai license or taking a head count of those that have, just checking to see if anyone else here has been stopped and questioned.

Last time we drove to Chiang Mai there were four active stops and not one of them bothered to say hello, they just waved me through. I always keep my license ready, just in case they ask for it, but they never do. I almost feel disappointed and left out.thumbsup.gif

I love driving so I seldom relinquish the wheel but I did let my wife drive home from Chiang Mai the last time.biggrin.png It made no difference, we still weren’t stopped. There could be a variety of reasons for the stops and it may only be for a short period of time, like this long weekend.

I've used my Thai drivers license to rent cars from Hertz in Canada (twice). They never questioned it. In Thailand I've never been questioned either other than pay 200 baht. Did have one cop claim I was speeding when I wasnt. I argued with him and he let me go on my way.

Last time we drove to Chiang Mai there were four active stops and not one of them bothered to say hello, they just waved me through. I always keep my license ready, just in case they ask for it, but they never do. I almost feel disappointed and left out.thumbsup.gif

I drove to CR a few weeks back (from CM) and ran into around 4-5 police checkpoints. Was waved through every time, no questions asked. It appears they have a profile of the folks they're looking for, drugs/people smugglers usually. But yes, always good to have your Thai drivers license at the ready.

Here, towards the month's end they stop everyone to check the vehicle tax disc. Pretty much get out a magnifying glass to ensure it is active and real! Not interested in licences!

Yes, this I have found - and paid a fine for once too.. sometimes the stops are focused on this alone.

Looking like a boring old fart has gotten me waived through five years of driving with many road blocks all over the country. Then again I was pulled aside and checked for explosives at the airport back home once. Go figure?

Pulled over a couple of weeks ago, asked for my license (current 5 yr Thai), a smile and sent on my way.

Son pulled over, showed his Kentucky license was told he is required to have international license. Hmm, then Officer said he would just write the ticket for no helmet as the fine was lower (son had a helmet on). The

License was kept pending payment of fine at the station. Next day he is stopped again...what? No license, so

another ticket. Son showed he had already had a ticket from previous day...sorry, no license, no drive. What really sent my son over the edge was Thais without helmets not being stopped. What do you figure his report will be after returning to the States?

99% of the time all they are doing is checking your motor is taxed / insured. If your road tax is displayed, you normally just get waived through. The only time I have actually been stopped was once for not having my front number plate on the car, it had broken off and was on the dashboard - I was just given a friendly reminder to get it fixed. Second time was pulled by the highway cops who asked for my licence - I didn't have it on me at the time. They asked where I lived and I told them "Just around the corner" They simply let me drive off.

Most of the time it is motorbikes and no helmet issues and no tax.

I stay in Chon Buri...the police here set up road blocks 2 or 3 times a week...always daytime...just randomly checking licenses...every 10th vehicle or so...and always busy taking money and doling out tickets...so I'm guessing that relatively few Thais or farangs have genuine credentials...

Pulled over a couple of weeks ago, asked for my license (current 5 yr Thai), a smile and sent on my way.

Son pulled over, showed his Kentucky license was told he is required to have international license. Hmm, then Officer said he would just write the ticket for no helmet as the fine was lower (son had a helmet on). The

License was kept pending payment of fine at the station. Next day he is stopped again...what? No license, so

another ticket. Son showed he had already had a ticket from previous day...sorry, no license, no drive. What really sent my son over the edge was Thais without helmets not being stopped. What do you figure his report will be after returning to the States?

He's not looking at the major roadblocks set up targeting motorcycles, I've seen them stop hundreds of Thais and fine them for breaches of the law.

Son pulled over, showed his Kentucky license was told he is required to have international license. Hmm, then Officer said he would just write the ticket for no helmet as the fine was lower (son had a helmet on).

That was nice, lower fine. Gotta love Thailand, eh.

The

another ticket. Son showed he had already had a ticket from previous day...sorry, no license, no drive.

Yeah, the other ticket was for no helmet. But he was warned to have the international license, yet here he is STILL driving without one! Probably a career criminal. Some people just never learn. Was a case recently in PTY where a guy was ticketed coming and going. :)

What really sent my son over the edge was Thais without helmets not being stopped. What do you figure his report will be after returning to the States?

That one should have an international license to drive in Thailand? And after you're warned, you should listen? But nobody cares what his report is.

Son is obviously FOB. You'll need to explain that at a given time cops are looking for particular offenses or concentrating on one task and ignore the minor other offenses around them. It's a part of the Asian "one thing at a time" mentality. When they're focused on helmets, I can assure you they stop BOTH Thais and farangs. I see Thais stopped for no helmets all the time--at checkpoints. But not ALL of either group; being overburdened, they typically let some through.

Next.

What upsets me is the last three or four times motorcyclists have run into me and the police attend, not only do they not prosecute them for any form of careless driving, but even when they all said they had no licence, no action was taken. My insurance assessor jumped on them to make sure my damage was paid for, but the BiB were just not interested. If it had been me driving unlicensed, I wonder if their attitude would have changed $$$$$.

With this sort of attitude, and the fact that well over 50% of motorcycles are not taxed, insured, plated or have licensed drivers, the consequences of no education and no enforcement mean no one bothers, the Thai "easy way".

Here, towards the month's end they stop everyone to check the vehicle tax disc. Pretty much get out a magnifying glass to ensure it is active and real! Not interested in licences!

Multi-tasking is not a Thai strong-point.giggle.gif

I've only been stopped once in 12 years' driving here. It was quite late at night* and they were apparently looking for unlicensed guns. I do wonder whether the model of car you drive and how smartly you're dressed affects the chances of being stopped.

* Which is odd. I thought police pretty much stopped working at sunset.

I was advised last year by the Police to obtain a Thai or International Drivers License as they used to except my UK License before. I was recently pulled over in Sakhon Nakhon and offered my Thai License with no issue but then he asked for my insurance which after a while we eventually found but by that time i had already paid the 300tbh fine.

I have been stopped over twenty times since I have lived here, the last three times were in the last four weeks. The last three times I was never asked for a show of license. Every time my wife was in the car and every officer first question was if I understood Thai or not, once my wife confirmed no they proceeded to accused me of speeding. My wife new I wasn't speeding and new exactly what they wanted, "spending money". First time my wife insisted he issue us a ticket and he refused so we got off without paying or receiving a ticket. Second one was smarter and called our bluff and just before he started writing a ticket pad and pen in hand, he mentioned our delay will be over an hour. As we were driving on a six hour journey, my wife haggled him down from 400 to 200 and we resolved with no receipt. Third one same thing 300 asked 200 paid, seems to be getting worse and I thought this was being stamped out.

Anyone who has been hit four times should be looking long and hard at their own driving standards.whistling.gif

No, no this is just the last three or four times I'm talking about (once my wife was driving as well), there have been several more incidents.

After over forty years of accident free motoring in cars and on motorbikes in the UK in all weathers and conditions, apart from once sliding off my motorcycle on ice at 10km/h, I arrived in Thailand three years ago to live, having worked and stayed here many times before.

Within six months I had been rear ended on my motorbike at red traffic lights by a drunk Thai, knocked off by a red bus driver who changed lanes into me, and then hospitalised by an unlicensed Thai lady who drove the wrong way down my lane and dragged me twenty metres down the road.

That was enough motorcycling for me so I bought a car in self defence and to protect my family. I drive defensively but it doesn't stop the idiots trying to attack me every time I drive in Chiang Mai. They are only low speed bumps, but a nuisance to sort out, caused by pure carelessness on the other driver's part each time. The police have always supported me and made the other driver pay.

I was a Police advanced driver in the UK but never encountered motorcyclists so intent on suicide or so unskilled and aggressive in operation as I have met here. Countless collisions have been avoided, but sometimes they are magnetically attracted to my car and cannot escape.

My driving standards are OK, it's just everyone else. I think I will buy a beat up Land Rover or similar shortly so I can stop caring, that certainly worked in London years ago where everyone stayed out of my way.

I find it interesting how two people can have such very different experiences here in Thailand. I suspect that having lived here so long I have adapted my skill set to local demands where others may have brought with them autopilot tendencies from their past life which only serve to accentuate the hazards of driving in Thailand.

Motorbikes have by far the highest accident/injury/fatality rate, just being on one increases the risk considerably.

I've never ridden one here for that reason but my first safety precaution if I did would be to assume that I'm invisible to all other road users.

What happened to my Thai drivers license topic? offtopic2.gif

I find it interesting how two people can have such very different experiences here in Thailand. I suspect that having lived here so long I have adapted my skill set to local demands where others may have brought with them autopilot tendencies from their past life which only serve to accentuate the hazards of driving in Thailand.

You're right, being civil and respectful works best. The problem is some of these farang know-it-all's think that they being a belligerent jackass works best. And when it doesn't, they blame the Thais. Go figure.

I was advised last year by the Police to obtain a Thai or International Drivers License as they used to except my UK License before. I was recently pulled over in Sakhon Nakhon and offered my Thai License with no issue but then he asked for my insurance which after a while we eventually found but by that time i had already paid the 300tbh fine.

Your UK licence, like seveveral other countries, is valid for 3 months only. After that not only is it invalid but it invalidates any private insurance claims. Others should follow your example and get a Thai licence, it's easy, inexpensive and valid in other ASEAN countries as well?

what report?

I was stopped late one evening this week just South of the River in Bangkok, at a roadblock set-up.

I was on my motorbike, BiB asked to see my Licence, gave him my Thai Licence, he checked dates and ID etc and I was allowed on my way.

Refreshingly simple and above-board.

Some things we have to live with. A bit silly taking a risk the second time, especially when he had no license and the cops knew this. Try driving elsewhere without a license, they'll ping you every time. I can guess what his report will be but it should be, Gee, I was a bit foolish, drove one day, got caught without a license and then did it the next day and got caught again. Sorry but double jeopardy doesn't apply to traffic offences. What was he thinking when he showed the ticket from the previous day, that he would get sympathy and allowed to leave. A blatant disregard for the road rules, wouldn't you say?

Archived