Open a UK Bank Acc. Online?

I doubt that any UK bank will let you open an account online.

What with all these anti money laundering rules, KYC "know your customer", and the US FATCA Global crap, you would probably have to apply in person, supply several forms of identification, including tax no, NI no. etc.

I have a UK Santander bank account but I am pissed off with them for a few reasons and looking to open another UK based account.

Anyone know if it is possible to do and what bank?

Try Ffrees. The call themselves 'the unbankers'.

All of their banking is on line. Even joining.

If you don't have a UK address and are not on the Electoral Register, you're going to find it difficult. The last 2 accounts I opened, they verified me electronically using that information but I do live in UK.

To open a bank account in the Uk either in branch or online you will be required to provide recent utility bills showing your name and address in the UK.

For online banking, they'll need your UK address to send the paperwork for your to sign etc.

To open a bank account in the Uk either in branch or online you will be required to provide recent utility bills showing your name and address in the UK.

For online banking, they'll need your UK address to send the paperwork for your to sign etc.

Partially incorrect - please see my post #5 - they do it all online provided they can verify you living at that address via the ER - if they cannot (if you don't live in UK) and if they're even willing to open an account for a non-UK resident, then they'll want documentary proof.

I believe they also check with one of the Credit reference organisations - if it all comes back OK, then no paperwork is needed. If not, every bank has its own system.

I opened 2 accounts (with new institutions) in 2015 - I don't think it's changed since then.

Edited by VBF

Partially incorrect - please see my post #5 - they do it all online provided they can verify you living at that address via the ER - if they cannot (if you don't live in UK) and if they're even willing to open an account for a non-UK resident, then they'll want documentary proof.

I opened 2 accounts (with new institutions) in 2015 - I don't think it's changed since then.

Ffrees is NOT a bank as you would see if you went right to the bottom of their web page and read the small print.

They are a credit broker and are not covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme so if they go bust you'll have to stand in line after all the secured creditors and HMRC.

Ffrees is NOT a bank as you would see if you went right to the bottom of their web page and read the small print.

They are a credit broker and are not covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme so if they go bust you'll have to stand in line after all the secured creditors and HMRC.

Endure I assume you intended to reply to Oishii rather than to me as I didn't mention Ffrees? Cross-posting??

Edited by VBF

Thanks for all your help guys, I'll check it all out.

I do live in Thailand full time but my Santander account uses my brothers UK address. I am not on any voters list not do I have any credit card rating as I haven't had one for ages. I am inheriting a chunk of money soon and don't want it sent to Santander. Nor do I want all of it sent here in one go. No big deal if it does go there but I want options.

You could try, too, any of Smile (which is the c-op and an Internet Bank), fist direct, Nationwide. I think, not sure, they will all open accounts online. You will certainly need a UK address and employment/self employment details. If you have or have ever had a UK Bank Account you will certainly have a Credit Profile which you can get from Experian, though I think there is a free service called something bizarre like Noddle-not just to do with Credit Cards-all credit.

If you're simply looking for a home for money, rather than cheque book/card &c., it's relatively simply to open an offshore account online. I'd suggest Nationwide International's Instant Access. They have no minimum balance requirement. They are also part of the BACS network which reduces costs sending money to/from the UK. You will, however, have to mail them proof of identity and address.

http://www.nationwideinternational.com/accounts/accounts_sterling_instant.htm

If you're simply looking for a home for money, rather than cheque book/card &c., it's relatively simply to open an offshore account online. I'd suggest Nationwide International's Instant Access. They have no minimum balance requirement. They are also part of the BACS network which reduces costs sending money to/from the UK. You will, however, have to mail them proof of identity and address.

Thanks for that, could be just the thing.

They do ask for proof of address which I assume must be in the UK and looks like no debit card available but as you say just to park money it should be fine.

They do ask for proof of address which I assume must be in the UK and looks like no debit card available but as you say just to park money it should be fine.

Absolutely no need for a UK address - a Thai address (or any other country) is fine. I provided a recent bank statement (in English) and a certified copy of my passport to open my account with them.

Absolutely no need for a UK address - a Thai address (or any other country) is fine. I provided a recent bank statement (in English) and a certified copy of my passport to open my account with them.

Sounds good but although I have a Tabien Ban as proof of address here that is all in Thai and a Bangkok Bank savings account doesn't send me statements. Everything else is in my wife's name.

No matter I will give them a call and explain my circumstances.

Thanks for your help

Sounds good but although I have a Tabien Ban as proof of address here that is all in Thai and a Bangkok Bank savings account doesn't send me statements. Everything else is in my wife's name.

Thanks for your help

A certified translation of your tabian baan (plus copy of original, presuming it's a yellow one with your actual name in) and a certified copy of the data page of your passport should do the trick.

Edited by Oxx

I've got a Nationwide International account and whilst it doesn't offer a debit card and their online banking can be a bit cumbersome, you have to register each recipient of funds by mail, one time, it suits my needs.

I did read somewhere that they will not open new accounts in Thailand, though they would keep open existing accounts, you might want to double check this before going to the expense of getting identity documents translated.

I too have opened several bank accounts online over the last couple of years. These did not require any paper verifications such as utility bills, but we do have a number of bank/savings accounts in the UK, good credit rating and are on the Electoral Register. However, in every case, once you are accepted, they will still want to send you paperwork to sign, accepting their terms and conditions, sample signatures etc. If you have a UK address (or perhaps family address), who can forward this to you, then that is no problem.

I too have opened several bank accounts online over the last couple of years. These did not require any paper verifications such as utility bills, but we do have a number of bank/savings accounts in the UK, good credit rating and are on the Electoral Register. However, in every case, once you are accepted, they will still want to send you paperwork to sign, accepting their terms and conditions, sample signatures etc. If you have a UK address (or perhaps family address), who can forward this to you, then that is no problem.

Neither of the accounts i opened required any paperwork of any sort to open them - the only paper i received was a letter with instructions to activate the online service, including a password that i was required to change on first login.

Clearly, by the time that's issued, the account is already opened.

However, both the accounts are "savings accounts" and are operated online only - no paper statements, no cheque books, no cards.Therefore, no signatures ever needed. Like you RandG, I have other accounts in UK, am on the ER etc.

If I want access to my money, i transfer it by BACS to another "current" account, which I've had for years. This may or may not suit the OP of course.

Edited by VBF

Thanks for your help

Bangkok Bank will provide recent statements for savings accounts if you request them.

I've got a Nationwide International account and whilst it doesn't offer a debit card and their online banking can be a bit cumbersome, you have to register each recipient of funds by mail, one time, it suits my needs.

I did read somewhere that they will not open new accounts in Thailand, though they would keep open existing accounts, you might want to double check this before going to the expense of getting identity documents translated.

I think that was my topic, but other members said they were still able to open new accounts with Nationwide Intl, so my guess is they are OK as long as the customer is depositing new funds with them but not if (like me) they are just moving the same money around different accounts.

After the initial verification of identity by snail mail, everything I've done has been online. Five years ago they required new documents by mail to invest in a bond issue, as opposed to a regular deposit account, but now that can be done online. I don't recall new recipients requiring a mail, but my only recipient so far has been my own account in the UK.

I think that was my topic, but other members said they were still able to open new accounts with Nationwide Intl, so my guess is they are OK as long as the customer is depositing new funds with them but not if (like me) they are just moving the same money around different accounts.

After the initial verification of identity by snail mail, everything I've done has been online. Five years ago they required new documents by mail to invest in a bond issue, as opposed to a regular deposit account, but now that can be done online. I don't recall new recipients requiring a mail, but my only recipient so far has been my own account in the UK.

As a Nationwide International account holder with an address on record in Thailand only, with an account that was opened from Thailand using a notarised passport, and proof of Thai address, the experience of this poster is really puzzling to me.

I have been able to move money around to different accounts with no problem for the entire five years I have had the account with them, and in fact on the phone to them (8 months or so ago) they actually suggested that I move money out of one issue of a fixed term account into another to take advantage of the increased interest rate.

They informed me without me even asking that transferring money from one account to another was subject to no advance warning period, even though the account required a 95 day advance warning for actual withdrawal of money.

So clearly something is going on above that differs from my experience with Nationwide International, who actually encouraged me to move existing money deposits around different accounts, while being fully aware that I was in Thailand, but I have no idea how this difference might arise!

Well, it happened to me, as detailed in another topic, and it pissed me off since I've been a customer since 2007. They had the gall to suggest that as I had been with them a few years they would allow me to convert my Bonus95 account to Instant Access if I closed it down and after the 95 days notice, but not open a new Instant Access account before then. The thing is, if you close an account the funds are automatically switched to Instant Access anyway. It's not like they were doing me a favour.

It will be interesting to see if they maintain this attitude when my pension is going into the Instant Access account.