Any nice areas Rayong for holiday?

Kenny202

Check out the vast beaches from Hat Mae Rumphueng to Laem Mai Phim.

https://www.google.co.th/maps/@12.6248432,101.5139615,12z?hl=en

All covered by Street View. Many resorts of various types, mostly catering to Thais. Some are very nice, usually the ones that are a bit hidden.

I never swim in salt water but I often enjoy a day trip driving around there. Sometimes there is a lot of plastic crap on the sand.

Nice and quiet on weekdays but heaving with Thais on weekends.

We tried the area south oh Hua Hin. Bangsaphan. Sounded perfect, quiet. It was horrible. Nice looking beached but the soi dogs were so savage u wouldn't dare go to the beach. They were literally tearing chunks out of people. The beach looked lovely but the water was hot and only about a foot deep even walking out for 100m. Very strange place

If you like swimming avoid the whole area -there is an enormous oil refinery/port at Rayong and often there are leaks. Apart from that most of the beaches are filthy. There are a lot of people who think the beaches in Thailand are wonderful and thirty years ago if you really looked you could find them. Even Jomtien beach which looked great then was actually so polluted that when the tide went out it was just a big bay of plastic bags. Bangkok has beein emptying it's rubbish into the Gulf of Siam for decades. Karon beach on Phuket in those days was pristine - now it's just a rubbish tip. People who think the beaches are good in Thailand haven't travelled -same goes for Vietnam -trash and pollution everywhere. The Caribbean still has crystal clear water as does Corsica and some of the Greek islands. Such a shame that mankind is so greedy that they can generally up everywhere!

Edited by leggo

I found Rayong to be very Thai-focussed and most of the beaches are awful - no way I would swim in them (looking and walking OK).

Rich Thai weekenders go towards Hua Hin, and middle/poor go towards Rayong.

Want good views - somewhere to walk along the beach - happy to stay mainly in/around accommodation - reasonable pricing? Then Rayong has some good value hotels with a pool - but be careful as they 'exaggerate' worse than most Thai places.

Want great views with best facilities and small private beach OK to swim in? Then the best place would be Rayong Resort - but not cheap - maybe get a deal as now off-season?

http://www.rayongresort.com/en/index.php

Don't know where you get your information from ....but bought a property on the beach from Dhanin Chearavanont (the richest guy in Thailand).....he still owns next door and his family owns other properties on the beach. This is in Rayong (Hat Saeng Chan)

I went to Rayong just this April and also a year prior - first time stayed at Suan Son beach and second time on Mae Rim Phung. Both beaches were lovely and the water clean, no problem. Lots of trees for shade and places to eat/drink along the beach.

it is very quiet during the week, gets more crowded on weekends and holidays - mainly Thai tourists.

Both times got very good deals for accomodation through airbnb.

I went to Rayong just this April and also a year prior - first time stayed at Suan Son beach and second time on Mae Rim Phung. Both beaches were lovely and the water clean, no problem. Lots of trees for shade and places to eat/drink along the beach.

it is very quiet during the week, gets more crowded on weekends and holidays - mainly Thai tourists.

Both times got very good deals for accomodation through airbnb.

hey Sheryl. Was the water reasonably deep?

Don't know where you get your information from ....but bought a property on the beach from Dhanin Chearavanont (the richest guy in Thailand).....he still owns next door and his family owns other properties on the beach. This is in Rayong (Hat Saeng Chan)

Just a generalisation - there are exceptions - but as a general rule.

But maybe not so true anymore.