Holiday weekend traffic

Dagnabbit

This weekend, the missus decided to slip off for a break, leaving me with the kids.

She spent 11am to 5pm queueing for the boat to get back from Koh Chang until she gave up.

Anothe group if friends took 4 hours to get frim BKK to Pattaya on Friday and a little more to get back on Sunday.

Two years ago, a weeks holiday in Khao Yai coincided with the end of a long weekend and it took me 12 hours to drive back to Bangkok.

Seems to me it's now pointless going away on a holiday weekend. The extra day you get will be chewed up in travelling time. I have officially given up going anywhere at these times.

Still, every holiday people pile into their cars and go through it again.

Anyone still brave enough?

Very bad traffic at any holiday but that's it it's a holiday and lots of people go home to patents or weekend by the sea. I remember some years ago being in England on M5 on a holiday weekend Saturday. We sat in car going nowhere for 5 hrs happens everwhere

Edited by jeab1980

Good reminder!

And it will become worse and worse.

More and more people can afford cars and holidays.

Roads don't grow in a proportional manner (and how far can it go?).

Railway is a joke, domestic flights and airports crammed.

Combined with the cancerous cheapo mass tourism it takes away lot of the fun from traveling in Thailand.

I pedantically update my wall calender and avoid any trips during critical times whenever possible.

This report supports your thread in a perfect manner:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/919397-tailbacks-and-delays-frustrate-koh-chang-tourists-returning-after-long-weekend/

Edited by KhunBENQ

I never go anywhere at the weekends or any Thai holiday its the same in the UK mind, being retired has many benefits so i go out when everyone else is at work, its great!

I still go as its the best time to get away from work without using proper holiday.

I tend to leave at very antisocial hour like 2am out of bkk and return late in the evening like this time on a the sunday. Traffic was bad but i had already resigned myself for it and i would be shattered on the Monday.

I dont think you would get me going to KC though. Pattaya, i would just come and go at antisocial hours

Songkran is the nightmare one but every year i say never again, and every year i do the same again.