Debate rages as girl needs 100 stitches after savage dog attack in Bangkok estate

webfact

On 5/25/2016 at 10:37 AM, richard_smith237 said:

The first step is for owners to be held accountable...

Actually enforcing accountability is the first step in fixing many things that slip through the legal net in Thailand often leading to tragic consequences.

Ultimately it shows how little people care, especially those in positions of decision making power, unless / until it directly affects them.

just defined a third world country

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/25/2016 at 10:11 AM, webfact said:

Thai singer Joe Nuvo was one person who commented online saying that this kind of attack should be prosecuted as a criminal case. He said that people who attack dogs are getting severe sentences while owners who let their animals attack others are just let off.

hey they got one right

1 hour ago, ELVIS123456 said:

...........the dog came out of a house three doors down as his daughter was playing in the street. It always looked threatening but had never bitten anyone , he said.

Live near a violent aggressive dog and dont do anything about it, then it is your fault if that dog attacks your children.

BS.

On 25/05/2016 at 12:16 PM, sweatalot said:

You are over the top

I think the dog law is ok, dogs don't deserve abuse. It should remain in place.

But there should be an equivalent law to protect humans against dangerous dogs

- and by the way dogs are dangerous only if t he owner neglects his duty or does not know how to handle them

- so in the end it is always the owner who is responsible, not t he dog.

I am not sure if there is not a suitable law in place - the question is is it enforced? (probably not, TIT)

Their duty has been neglected whenever it  leaves their property boundary not on a leash, so that would be almost ALL dog's in Thailand.

12 minutes ago, Beryl123 said:

Their duty has been neglected whenever it  leaves their property boundary not on a leash, so that would be almost ALL dog's in Thailand.

And they should be financially responsible for all problems caused by the dog when it is allowed to run free.

On 10/22/2017 at 7:28 PM, Drago said:

Had this girl been tormenting or cruel to this dog in the past?

A case of 'som nam naa' possibly?

Even if the young girl had done that the dog should NEVER bite children and has to get killed now before it attacks again.

Just out of curiosity, how many Thai kids do you see playing in the street? What dog breed is it (pit bull)? How did she get it in the face? Did she provoke it?

Doesnt matter. Put the dog down. It’ll do it again if not euthanized. Normal consequence in my home country. Dog owners pay for the medical bills, emotional therapy & are sued. Dog got out of its property & attacked. Case closed.

Thats gotta be terrifying. Poor girl will be traumatized for life now & will never trust or own a dog.

On 10/22/2017 at 5:21 PM, ELVIS123456 said:

...........the dog came out of a house three doors down as his daughter was playing in the street. It always looked threatening but had never bitten anyone , he said.

Live near a violent aggressive dog and dont do anything about it, then it is your fault if that dog attacks your children.

what is your solution to this dog then, come on help out other members.

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

what is your solution to this dog then, come on help out other members.

i wouldn't do anything

to many control freaks think everything apart from humans should be euthanized. Animals just like humans will have their reasons for attack or defence. 

One thing is certain is there must be a WUM on here ressurecting an 18 month story to enjoy keyboard warriors debating something that many have opposite views

1 hour ago, humbug said:

i wouldn't do anything

to many control freaks think everything apart from humans should be euthanized. Animals just like humans will have their reasons for attack or defence. 

One thing is certain is there must be a WUM on here ressurecting an 18 month story to enjoy keyboard warriors debating something that many have opposite views

Sure animals like lions, tigers and dogs have their reasons for attack, they are predators and they want to eat. You know i just watched documentary about lions they kill giena just for play and to teach their puppies how to hunt. This case of devastating dog attack on innocent girl is the clear sample of that predator nature. I see father of this girl has zero self esteem and a lot of stupidity to get just 150 000 baht and not go to the court. If he sued dog owner he even can get more. The problem not only about how much dog owner need to pay or how long he need to stay in jail, but dangerous dog shoul be put down anyway to prevent new attacks on local people. 

I would do something (not nothing), if there was a dangerous aggressive dog living 3 houses from my child.  I would see that as my responsibility to deal with what could be a bad outcome.

Everything would be on the table at the start.  It all depends on the dog and the owner/s.  From trying to get the dog to be friendly (feed it treats), to talking to the owner/s, to raising the issue with housing estate manager, to calling the police, to lodging a court case complaint, to moving house, to dealing with the dog.

Thai people dont like to 'front' others, or cause problems, because of their culture.  This means that dangerous dogs are 'let go' and  too often no one 'deals' with the issue.  Then (far too often here), it bites someone - usually a child.  I am not Thai and am not therefore 'socially limited' in what I can do. Therefore I would do something.  There are many things that I accept as part of living in Thailand - dangerous aggressive dogs is not one of them.  

Example:  Years ago I lived in a gated community in Chiang Mai. There was an aggressive dog that occasionally 'escaped' and threatened people. It was no where near where we lived, but I came across it while out for a walk.  My wife asked our neighbours about it , and they said they knew about it and they kept their children away from that part of the complex, and that others had asked the owner to repair his gate/fence but he had ignored them.  I went and spoke to the Manager and made it very that if I came across the dog while out on a walk and it became aggressive towards me again I would kill it.  Guess what?  The ahole owner fixed his gate/fence properly.  He was embarassed that 'The Farang' was going to kill his dog if it attacked him and everyone would know why.  Now would I have killed the dog? No. But I did something and it worked. 

Happy ahols??

On 22/10/2017 at 5:21 PM, ELVIS123456 said:

What a hateful , cruel, smug , inhuman comment.

2 minutes ago, The manic said:

The problem with the head line is thst it is untrue. There is no debate raging. Only street dogs and insane animal rights sympathisers raging. Its simple. All stray dogs should be put down and all other dogs kept under control.

Glad your not in charge. What are your kids like? How about helping out rather than whining. Make a donation to spay & neuter. There's almost a million stray dogs throughout Thailand, should they all be killed? Better yet, how about you just go back home. 

On 10/25/2017 at 2:37 PM, The manic said:

The problem with the head line is thst it is untrue. There is no debate raging. Only street dogs and insane animal rights sympathisers raging. Its simple. All stray dogs should be put down and all other dogs kept under control.

What a hateful , cruel, smug , inhuman comment.

Kill all stray dogs? No chance at finding owner? No chance at adoption?  Shoot them? Or maybe poison?

Yes there are some insane animal rights sympathisers, but there are a lot of well-meaning decent human beings who are animal rights sympathisers.  But there are also a few hateful and cruel people who would like to just kill all stray dogs - and have all the others killed if they are not 'kept under control'.  I reckon they are insane dog haters and I always add them to my ignore list.

5 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

Why would Thailand need to do this?

Because according to govt figures it has almost 4 million strays living in misery, most of them have the rabies virus and they pose a danger to public health and safety. The country will always look like a 3rd world slum until something is done to clean this mess up.

On 25/10/2017 at 10:46 AM, SpicyMeatball said:

Glad your not in charge. What are your kids like? How about helping out rather than whining. Make a donation to spay & neuter. There's almost a million stray dogs throughout Thailand, should they all be killed? Better yet, how about you just go back home. 

Far from whining I am asserting a positive, practical humane solution that is a matter for the authorities not individuals to put into practice. The donations you refer to are called taxes. All citizens in all countries pay taxes and the money is used appropriately. I do not paint lines on roads, repair telegraph poles etc ....local and central authorities organise such matters. For the sake of the pitiful, sick, maimed, suffering dogs they should be put down. For the sake of the ruinously mutilated children all dogs should be controlled and their owners held accountable. Only anthropomorphic,sentimental, idiots think otherwise. I am a dog owner and have worked as a dog trainer. I believe in human rights not animal rights.

21 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Because according to govt figures it has almost 4 million strays living in misery, most of them have the rabies virus and they pose a danger to public health and safety. The country will always look like a 3rd world slum until something is done to clean this mess up.

You know your sprouting total B.S. 

5 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Govt stated up to 80% of soi dogs carry rabies virus

I did not believe you (and I was right not to believe you). Seen some older reports where its below 50% (scared the shit out of me though i would not have thought it was that high) But it was dropping all the time.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2809386/pdf/9593486.pdf

But please if you have more accurate date do share. 

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

Ahh, see you have edited your original post.

Looks (and reads) better to what you had previously written........................:thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Govt stated up to 80% of soi dogs carry rabies virus

If that were true, there would be an epidemic of mad/insane dog attacks on people & health warnings nation wide. And the disease wouldn’t only affect dogs.

Are you gonna believe everything this “government” says?

from the US national library of medicine:

Antibody seroprevalence was higher for dogs captured within central Bangkok (86% of 1,208 dogs captured) than in the dogs captured on the outskirts of the greater metropolitan area (49% of 2,106 dogs captured). If our sample of stray dogs is representative, then the seroprevalence achieved from previous vaccination campaigns is insufficient in order to break the rabies transmission cycle among stray and feral dogs.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18634473

Edited by Orton Rd

3 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Aren’t you well informed. Where do you get your stats from? Show me.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_dogs_in_Thailand

BTW, are you any relations to Whitey Bulger or is he your idol?

5BF3B504-E943-4D37-865B-2769924EC759.jpeg

Thai PBS from last year:

Even more worrying are statistics that show that of all the dogs found sick or ill in the entire country, 90% have rabies.

Furthermore, 60% of the animals afflicted with rabies are strays which poses a real public hazard.

thaipbs_logo.jpg 

Apologies if this has already been suggested but is it not about time that the authorities made regular trips around towns, cities and villages and collect any stray dogs they find?

This is not an isolated case I am sure and some needs to deal with it, these strays multiply as well and no one takes any notice unless one of their dogs is injured then are suddenly valuable otherwise they re left to roam often in packs attacking whovere whenever.

The lawmakers also need to create the right type of laws to make the owners responsible for their dogs actions.

I used to have problems with dogs when I rode my bike, now I travel with a bag on ech handle bar filled with a mixture of sand and salt, they dont like a hand full and quickly withdraw.