Dream Euro trip turns sour for Thai students

webfact

TAT should be holding a security deposit of 200,000 for this company, which might go a little way towards compensating the customers. I would imagine the company can also be sued in the courts if the holiday was not as described in the contract.

Edited by tuanku

The amount of glee generated by these kids getting scammed out of their holiday trip is amazing.......Then again maybe not---after all as pointed out by many posters They are Thai children and very stupid about these sort of things.............if only someone had gone to the nearest bar & asked a sage farang.......coffee1.gif

<snippety>

LOL. Many a true word spoken in jest.

Winnie

Not sure if a point is being missed here. Report said all went well including the first days in Germany, meaning they must have had guides ,transportation and hotels, the issues started after arriving in Switzerland, where they had to CHANGE hotels at short notice, which to me reads, they did check Into a Swiss hotel only to be asked to move.

Now this could be the fault of the Swiss hotel who had overbooked or similar circumstances, I am guessing that they had a local tour guide who was unable to take action without permission of the Thai agency. It's possible due to the time difference that contact could not be made at the time of the incident and they were moved to a new hotel at their own cost until things were sorted out with Thailand. Again it's misleading as no mention has been made about what transpired after Switzerland.

The money that businesses collect up front should be held in an escrow account and withdrawn only to pay invoices for the services that contracted to provide. The bank where the money is held in escrow pays the bills when invoices are presented. There is little to no protection for Thais against being defrauded.

Have you tried business banking in Thailand? There is not even an ATM card, withdrawal means visiting the bank and coming out with cash. Payees into the account have to confirm payment themselves as the bank will not give out any information as to who has paid what.The very idea that the bank personnel would assume some responsibility for supervising the way a business operates is scary both to the bank and to the business for different reasons!

No, I have not. I explored an export business when I arrived a few years back, but after dealing with small and large suppliers it became obvious that it was a colossal joke.

in this era where we have websites that do everything for us - why do people still insist on paying a middle man? Especially young students who should be tech savvy.

Middle men are popular here in Thailand. Look at the the schools who use agencies for example. Never heard a good word about them.

Thai friend booked ticket to Europe at double price of my ticket. She used the professional knowall pee agent. I used sky scanner. Her reply: I have cancel insurance. U have not... 555 cancelation insurance costs 20 or so not 550 ???

Have you tried business banking in Thailand? There is not even an ATM card, withdrawal means visiting the bank and coming out with cash. Payees into the account have to confirm payment themselves as the bank will not give out any information as to who has paid what.The very idea that the bank personnel would assume some responsibility for supervising the way a business operates is scary both to the bank and to the business for different reasons!

The money tha

No, I have not. I explored an export business when I arrived a few years back, but after dealing with small and large suppliers it became obvious that it was a colossal joke.

Any banking in Thailand is a colossal joke. Even a simple savings account can turn into a nightmare.

Thai friend booked ticket to Europe at double price of my ticket. She used the professional knowall pee agent. I used sky scanner. Her reply: I have cancel insurance. U have not... 555 cancelation insurance costs 20 or so not 550 ???

555. And if she has to cancel, good luck!!! Even reputable cancel insurance doesn't really cover cancellations that might actually happen. They only cover cancellations under strict circumstances. They don't include things like your boss tells you that you have to work or family emergency etc. Sometimes not even weather or other bad situations in the destination. Plus, does she actually have the insurance, or was she just sold it?

The amount of glee generated by these kids getting scammed out of their holiday trip is amazing.......Then again maybe not---after all as pointed out by many posters They are Thai children and very stupid about these sort of things.............if only someone had gone to the nearest bar & asked a sage farang.......coffee1.gif

USA----CHICAGO—A Chicago travel agent was arrested today on a federal fraud charge for allegedly cheating at least 50 customers of approximately $525,000 by misrepresenting his ability to sell travel packages....https://www.fbi.gov/chicago/press-releases/2014/chicago-travel-agent-arrested-on-federal-fraud-charge-for-allegedly-swindling-muslim-pilgrims-of-hajj-travel-packages

UK--Bogus travel agents and holiday hackers cost tourists £2.2m a year says fraud unit

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/bogus-travel-agents-holiday-hackers-5502670

And you can't even figure out which one of the three situations is different: US, UK, and TH? One of these is not the same.

Such a shame as international travel would be a great opportunity for any student to learn about other cultures.terms).

The Thai I know who went to Europe were complaining upon return. No thainess in Europe except in Thai restaurant where feudal rules (exfarmgirl cook, dark/dam) applied. Lol. Somdtam at 600thb/plate = Paeng kön!

Thailand, Germany, Switzerland, Italy back to Thailand in 7 days seems improbable if not impossible.

And why would that be?

If you stay in the southern part of Germany, it is very easy to get across the border into Switzerland and then into Italy!

Not a problem at all!

2 days for the flights leave you with 5 days to spend on spot!

5 very rushed days where you only see airports, train stations and hotels.

Ever travelled with Thai? I did...plenty of times. 50% of day in minivan. 40% in restaurant. 10% in souvenir market buying the been there done that t shirt. At 9pm suhleep. At 5am rush rush to next destination some national park. Activity for the day: Eat eat eat...

The fact is: Thais get scammed as much as farangs get scammed. Ignorance and utter naivity = bliss for the Thai entrepreneur. No customer protection. We booked a room for 3 people once (and paid the 1 pax supplement) and we got a room with 2 single beds. When i went to reception they said no problem! 2 people can sleep in 1 bed Na. The 2 Thai I was with didn't dare to argument, too shy for conflict. I couldn't care less and eventually got 1 double bed and 1 single bed. Then back in the room my friends said farang much more experience... 555

This has happened plenty of times before with uni trips, in fact It's a can of worms. In many cases the Travel agent is a friend or relative of someone higher ranking in the uni.

In some cases the students have to do the trip or they cannot graduate.

I've heard of cases where there are two such trips in one masters program and again students cannot graduate unless both trips are completed.

In some cases there is a visit to a partnership uni for either 'coffee with the local students / professors', or an all day lecture on an agreed aligned subject and perhaps half the students in the room are local to that uni.

I've taught these 'one day lectures' here in Thailand several times. In advance the Thai uni in question asks the program coordinator of the visiting uni to select an aligned topic for the day.

An acquaintance of my son did his masters degree twice, for no other reason than taking 'the trip' to several countries in Europe. He convinced his father that the degree with trip was far superior to a degree without a trip. In one case it all went wrong, the accompanying tour organizer disappeared and the students had to pool money to pay hotel bills etc.

Further to the comment just above, the same Thai uni moved responsibility for the arrangement of the trips to another administration section and now insists on being shown clear receipts that everything has been paid in advance in terms of travel and hotels, etc. They call airlines / hotels / tour agencies and double check that all monies have been received and there is nothing outstanding before the students leave Thailand.

In a few cases the visit agenda includes a visit / 2 visits to companies etc., which connects to the actual program and in some cases the students are expected to prepare questions in advance and then write a report.

In most cases there is no company visit or uni visit whatever.

Many Thai students just want the prestige factor - 'I went to Europe'. Korea also features.

Some think it will enhance their employment prospects.

Yes, in Thailand it does. Just imagine a surgeon in a private hospital, who hasn't been to Korea yet LOL!

This has happened plenty of times before with uni trips, in fact It's a can of worms. In many cases the Travel agent is a friend or relative of someone higher ranking in the uni.

In some cases the students have to do the trip or they cannot graduate.

I've heard of cases where there are two such trips in one masters program and again students cannot graduate unless both trips are completed.

In some cases there is a visit to a partnership uni for either 'coffee with the local students / professors', or an all day lecture on an agreed aligned subject and perhaps half the students in the room are local to that uni.

I've taught these 'one day lectures' here in Thailand several times. In advance the Thai uni in question asks the program coordinator of the visiting uni to select an aligned topic for the day.

An acquaintance of my son did his masters degree twice, for no other reason than taking 'the trip' to several countries in Europe. He convinced his father that the degree with trip was far superior to a degree without a trip. In one case it all went wrong, the accompanying tour organizer disappeared and the students had to pool money to pay hotel bills etc.

Further to the comment just above, the same Thai uni moved responsibility for the arrangement of the trips to another administration section and now insists on being shown clear receipts that everything has been paid in advance in terms of travel and hotels, etc. They call airlines / hotels / tour agencies and double check that all monies have been received and there is nothing outstanding before the students leave Thailand.

In a few cases the visit agenda includes a visit / 2 visits to companies etc., which connects to the actual program and in some cases the students are expected to prepare questions in advance and then write a report.

In most cases there is no company visit or uni visit whatever.

Many Thai students just want the prestige factor - 'I went to Europe'. Korea also features.

Some think it will enhance their employment prospects.

similar story:

I know of a tourism/hospitality school where students are forced to participate in very expensive and ridiculously overpriced "Western style dinners" to "learn about Western culture and food". Needless to say, the teachers / lecturers are pocketing 50% or so of the actual price of that expensive overpriced dinner.

Welcome to Thailand

Ever travelled with Thai? I did...plenty of times. 50% of day in minivan. 40% in restaurant. 10% in souvenir market buying the been there done that t shirt. At 9pm suhleep. At 5am rush rush to next destination some national park. Activity for the day: Eat eat eat...

I am never taking a Thai out of Thailand again. No f4ck1ng way.

Waste of time and money.

They only want to eat Thai food, take the odd selfie, eat Thai food, sleep and ask, "when are we going back to Thailand, I miss the TV, friends, family".

After a lot of experience, by far the best plan (apart from not having a permanent fixture in your life at all) is to send them home to their family with 15,000 Baht and bring them a souvenir. Everybody totally happy, you save 100,000 Baht and the utter disappointment when you realise that she has no interest at all in travelling to foreign places longer than 30 minutes. Been there, can we go and eat Thai food now.

Your mileage might be different.

But I am not going there again.

Waste of time and money.

They only want to eat Thai food, take the odd selfie, eat Thai food, sleep and ask, "when are we going back to Thailand, I miss the TV, friends, family".

After a lot of experience, by far the best plan (apart from not having a permanent fixture in your life at all) is to send them home to their family with 15,000 Baht and bring them a souvenir. Everybody totally happy, you save 100,000 Baht and the utter disappointment when you realise that she has no interest at all in travelling to foreign places longer than 30 minutes. Been there, can we go and eat Thai food now.

No offense but since I have a brain i'd NEVER consider taking a Thai outside Thailand. 95% of these people only function in Thailand where e-ve-ry-thing is UNIFORM and GENERIC, everybody speaks Thai, every restaurant has tom yam, every town has 7/11's (24/7) with always the same generic crap, and so on. Thai have never learned to be interested in NON-thai stuff (Thailand Nr 1). Some time ago I showed a picture of Stonehenge to a Thai friend who was supposed to travel to the UK (I'm not UK btw) for the first time. The reply: no understand, just stones, not beautiful... When i started to explain about its history, i could see the utter-bore/silliout//eaten rice-stare in the eyes so i concluded with "never mind". but when they invite me to a 2-meter high waterfall they expect me to get manic/infantile. LOL!!!!

don't get me wrong: great people to sit on a mat with (binging Leo's and eating fishballs) or to do a nap in a sala with !!! biggrin.pngclap2.gifthumbsup.gif

73.000 Baht / 40 Baht Exchange rate is around 1.825 Euros.

Cheap flights with Thai (Thai-student rate) are at max 600 Euros BKK-FRA-BKK.
There remain 1.225 Euros for 7 days.
Is per day then 175 Euros/Student.
Guess the students will not have been in 5 star hotels.
Considering the nights in a double room for 150 Euros a night (2pax) and calculated the catering money with 25 Euros per person / day.
There remain 75 Euros per student for travelling and entrance fees for the daily program.

A Coach
hire for 7 days is 3.000 Euros (21 - 42 pax) +1.30 Euro per kilometer.

Frankfurt, Switzerland, Italy and back are roughly 2000 kilometers.
The travel expenses are then (3.000 Euros + 2.600 Euros kilometer money = 5.600 Euro)
Per student then (5600 /31 = 180 Euro).

The pure travel budget per student is 75 Euro * 7 days = 525 Euros minus 180 Euro = remain 345 Euros for entrance fees, sightseeings, attractions, etc.per student for 7 days.
Conclusion: the journey could have been carried out with the given budget.

Edited by tomacht8

Considering the nights in a double room for 150 Euros a night (2pax) and calculated the catering money with 25 Euros per person / day.

I recently stated at european Ibis (walkin rate) for 58€ (2pax).............

I recently stated at european Ibis (walkin rate) for 58€ (2pax).............

For sure.

Even in the more rural areas are more affordable accommodation possible; especially with larger groups and early bookings.

For the students I had could organized, on there last night in Frankfurt a 7 courses menu plus moroccan belly dancers.

The tour operator was either a lazy bastard, or has plugged in, too much money into his own pockets without providing value.

Even with the visa fees it would have been smarter to go over Austria, instead of Switzerland.

With a travel budget of 1.225 Euros for 7 days per person you could have done a much better tour for the students.

Ok a route through Switzerland and Italy happens to be more expensive than, say a tour over Amsterdam, Hamburg, Copenhagen, Berlin, Prague.

Were the latter would certainly become more fun.

Thailand, Germany, Switzerland, Italy back to Thailand in 7 days seems improbable if not impossible.

And why would that be?

If you stay in the southern part of Germany, it is very easy to get across the border into Switzerland and then into Italy!

Not a problem at all!

Been there, done that, got the bags under my eyes for souvenirs.

Waste of time and money.

No offense but since I have a brain i'd NEVER consider taking a Thai outside Thailand. 95% of these people only function in Thailand where e-ve-ry-thing is UNIFORM and GENERIC, everybody speaks Thai, every restaurant has tom yam, every town has 7/11's (24/7) with always the same generic crap, and so on. Thai have never learned to be interested in NON-thai stuff (Thailand Nr 1). Some time ago I showed a picture of Stonehenge to a Thai friend who was supposed to travel to the UK (I'm not UK btw) for the first time. The reply: no understand, just stones, not beautiful... When i started to explain about its history, i could see the utter-bore/silliout//eaten rice-stare in the eyes so i concluded with "never mind". but when they invite me to a 2-meter high waterfall they expect me to get manic/infantile. LOL!!!!

don't get me wrong: great people to sit on a mat with (binging Leo's and eating fishballs) or to do a nap in a sala with !!! biggrin.pngclap2.gifthumbsup.gif

Stonehenge!!!!

Really, you have to see their point. It is just a boring jumble of boulders cobbled together over a thousand years or so. I would not stop to look at it.

At the time the Brits were hauling rough cut stones the Egyptians managed to erect something truly magnificent, the pyramids.

And why would that be?

Not a problem at all!

Yep...you have no clue!

Zurich to Munich 3,5 hours by car

Zurich to Milan 3,5 hours by car

Zurich is in Switzerland, Munich is in Germany and Milan is in Italy!

...and all of them are major destinations!

Doing North- Thailand (Bangkok to Chiang Mai) in 5 days, incl. sightseeing, doesn't shock anybody, so why should this?

Happens alot with these so called all inclusives

How many bother to check what and what isn't included and travel agents can't always be relied on to explain fully in case they scare away custom.

i would look for any connections between the school administrators and this "travel agency."

the thai (actually asian) obsession for using middle-men in almost all business transactions seems to be so there's someone to handle the "skim" and kick-back the appropriate amount to the person/organization spending other people's money.

And why would that be?

Not a problem at all!

I agree. Go there take a photo. Next.

That's essentially how Thais do vacation. First purpose get enough selfies to put in facebook, second take enough photos of food to put in facebook. Japanese used to be same way, but these days it looks like they've gotten rid of at least part of the plague. However I don't think there's any hope for Thais, they are far too narcissistic.