Is this legit? (Returning of Condo Deposit)

I hope this is the right forum. I couldn't see one that was the perfect fit...

In the past I've always rented serviced apartments in Bangkok and my deposit was always returned on day of checkout after an inspection of the property.

Currently I'm renting a condo and my landlord has advised they are not available when I'll check out.

They've advised I leave the keys with the building and that the landlord will check the condo "later" and return the deposit "ASAP".

No details of when or how have been given.

In an earlier message it was said "it can take up to 30 days".

They don't have my bank details to make a transfer so not sure how they plan to do that.

I am leaving Thailand shortly so there's not much I could do to chase it up.

I understand it has to be checked that bills are paid etc but that can be done in minutes, water with the building and a call to the electricity company.

Is it normal for there to be a delay in returning a deposit?

What would generally be the procedure?

Thanks

This is entirely normal when the landlord does not intend to return the deposit. Many tenants consider it entirely normal not to pay the last month's rent for the same reason.

Part of the job of being a landlord is to make yourself available to check people out and return the deposit, or to employ an agent if you cant be bothered to do it yourself.

I'd say you were very lucky to have ever received your deposit back on the day of moving. Most landlords either spend that deposit money as soon as they receive it, or they use it to re-pay the previous deposit - it never goes into a savings account to sit and wait for the end of the lease. A friend of mine once waited 45 days for his deposit, so 30 days ain't that bad.

Hope it's not a large amount

wink.png

This is entirely normal when the landlord does not intend to return the deposit. Many tenants consider it entirely normal not to pay the last month's rent for the same reason.

Part of the job of being a landlord is to make yourself available to check people out and return the deposit, or to employ an agent if you cant be bothered to do it yourself.

For every <deleted> landlord there are <deleted> tenants.

For the OP try telling the LL you will leave money for electric/water etc and see if this will encourage them to return deposit.

In most rental agreements it stipulates a period of days for the refund of the deposit.

As a landlord here for close to 20 years, all of my contract states "30 days". Why? because there are tenants who do not pay water/electricity/cable bills because the bill does not show up until the next cycle. Responsible tenants usually get it cleared up before they move out, such as jotting down the reading on the meter, and tell me to deduct cable from deposit and other related bills if they want the deposit fast. This is why its held for 30 days and not 2 weeks/3weeks/2month.

Also there are many problems that don't just pop up if you do a quick inspection of the room, I had a tenant whose kid stuck clay down the drainage of the bathtub, this wasn't noticed until I return the deposit and had a deep clean of the apartment. Other hidden damage I came upon after returning the deposit include damaged appliances and such.

I would say majority landlord do return the deposit. You read about the negatives here more often because people come here to vent, and then there are the others who just want to jump on the bandwagon and bash Thai landlords even though they never experience it themselves.

I'm guilty of not asking my tenant of their bank account right away when they move out, just something you don't think about yet until the time it comes to return it. I don't meet my tenant probably 20-30% of the times due to work and have them leave the key at the office as well.

They tend to hold it until the electricity and water have been paid.

Ours took about a month.

It is not beyond the wit of man to read a meter and do a simple calculation. Two minutes should cover it, not four weeks.

Landlords should be much more considerate of their tenants, especially those who are leaving the country.

Why would the OP not read the contract!!!

Been renting properties in the city for years, our process is: tell the tenant to keep their last 3 months electricity bills so we can estimate pro rata the amount due, check for water bills at the juristic office, stipulate the cancellation letter from their internet provider and thoroughly check the room and appliances (seriously that takes 5 minutes for the average condo: open/close doors, check electrical appliances, done).
When you present an owner with all of that they have no recourse about holding deposits, however our contract stipulates instant return anyway.

It really is that simple and we won't work with owners who want to wait for 30 days.
For non resident landlords we hold the deposits in escrow (how it should be done for all rentals).

Ours took about a month.

Thats been the norm for me.

Move out day = damage inspection. If all good have received 50% of the deposit back and the balance returned once the utility bills have arrived.

Ours took about a month.

It is not beyond the wit of man to read a meter and do a simple calculation. Two minutes should cover it, not four weeks.

Landlords should be much more considerate of their tenants, especially those who are leaving the country.

Assuming you have the previous water and electric bills on hand to see what the previous meter readings were.

REFUSE DEPOSIT.... I refuse to make any deposits now days. I always negotiate a 12 month rent upfront instead. Over 12 years I have 220K in outstanding deposits. I have NEVER got any deposit back.

You prefer to pay 12 months in advance than a deposit ?

Good to hear that is working ok for you but myself if it all turned to shit I'd prefer to walk away from the deposit than months and months of rent paid in advance.

In the 10 years Ive rented here I have always got my deposits back.

I hope you didn't tell them you were leaving Thailand soon. They love that. I was out of town once so paid my LL the rent one day late and my phone was ringing off the hook but when I moved out and needed my deposit suddenly everything was on hold for 3 weeks while she was out of town. I had my own leverage and used it to get my deposit back after she was able to grind away 50% of it due to changing my monthly rate to the daily rate. I real nasty move considering I was a loyal tenant for 2 years and never gave her a problem. My bestrevenge was renting now from her brother in law who she hates. Som num na baby som num na...

OP's story is a lesson to us all. My new landlord has been renting for years but suddenly felt compelled to hand write in a series of clauses that will result in him keeping my deposit. I grabbed the pen from him and wrote a few of my own.

I hope you didn't tell them you were leaving Thailand soon. They love that. I was out of town once so paid my LL the rent one day late and my phone was ringing off the hook but when I moved out and needed my deposit suddenly everything was on hold for 3 weeks while she was out of town. I had my own leverage and used it to get my deposit back after she was able to grind away 50% of it due to changing my monthly rate to the daily rate. I real nasty move considering I was a loyal tenant for 2 years and never gave her a problem. My bestrevenge was renting now from her brother in law who she hates. Som num na baby som num na...

OP's story is a lesson to us all. My new landlord has been renting for years but suddenly felt compelled to hand write in a series of clauses that will result in him keeping my deposit. I grabbed the pen from him and wrote a few of my own.

You might have noted that the OP signed a lease agreement stipulating it would be repaid within 30 days......