Can I drive in Chiang Mai with my home country Driver's license?

smallmarcuslee

Rental agencies will accept it, but you need an international one if you want insurance coverage.

You can get that from the AAS at Kallang Bahru, valid for one year. Takes about 15 mins.

You can use your home country driving license in almost any country these days but it MUST be accompanied by an International Driving Permit issued by a lawful authority. Getting an IDP is simply a matter of filling out a short form and paying some ($15-$20) money. No test required. It is just a legal translation of your home country's license in several different languages.

And just in case the OP isnt aware....you must have a full licence in order to get the IDP. Some countries have a graduated licence system ie Learners/Provisional/Full.

If Singapore has such a thing then you need to have a Full licence before you can get an IDP.

In NZ I had a restricted motorbike licence which meant (Way back in the day) I wasnt legally allowed to ride a motorcycle over 250cc. Its since changed and now goes by power output. Regardless of which it was just as easy to get a Thai Motorcycle licence and no hassle from the cops too (Which is an extra bonus)

Oh and in Thailand they have seperate licences for car and motorcycle, that is they issue you with seperate credit card sized licences. I found that rather parcular as in NZ its just one card with a list of all the licences you may hold endorsed on the back.

Edited by CMKiwi

You can use your home country driving license in almost any country these days but it MUST be accompanied by an International Driving Permit issued by a lawful authority. Getting an IDP is simply a matter of filling out a short form and paying some ($15-$20) money. No test required. It is just a legal translation of your home country's license in several different languages.

Hi, thanks for the info! May i know where i can get the IDP? From singapore or the driving centre in chiang mai?

Hi, thanks for the info! May i know where i can get the IDP? From singapore or the driving centre in chiang mai?

If it were me, I'd get it in S'pore. Your Motor Vehicle Department can tell you where to apply.

Bad advice here: they all missed the part where your license is from Singapore.

If when you come you have a full Singapore license (learners does not count) you can drive here and do NOT require an International Drivers Permit; the exemption applies to drivers license holders from Laos, Malaysia and Singapore due to treaty agreements between the countries.

Singapore is part of Asean, under the new agreement between all member country's you are allowed to use the Singapore drivers license in all Asean member country's, I just renewed my Thai license and this was explained to all attendee's, the Thai drivers licence is valid in all Asean country's now.

I don't really think that someone with a fresh Singapore driving licence will fare well in Thailand. On the flight up, forget everything you have learned & rent the biggest Fortuner (with bull bars) & the best insurance that you can get.

Bad advice here: they all missed the part where your license is from Singapore.

If when you come you have a full Singapore license (learners does not count) you can drive here and do NOT require an International Drivers Permit; the exemption applies to drivers license holders from Laos, Malaysia and Singapore due to treaty agreements between the countries.

Correct. Was about to post the same thing. IDP is just a money making scam. I have rented a car in Australia using a sg driving licence. Brought thai 3rd party insurance, cant remember if i even show them the licence

An inexperienced driver in Thailand should be highly discouraged. The drivers here, especially motorbikes, are among the worst I have ever encountered. Why would you risk screwing up what I assume is a vacation by having an accident. Take public transport which is available almost everywhere. Be safe, not sorry. My two cents worth of advice.

People in Singapore drive slow, given the general speed limits and small island. I think they are probably on one of the safer sides if you start driving in Thailand. Can't be careful enough, but hey, you could also be hit by an asteroid or fall into a hole on the street. Nothing wrong to drive here in CNX, BKK may be a different story.

Edited by MadMac

An inexperienced driver in Thailand should be highly discouraged. The drivers here, especially motorbikes, are among the worst I have ever encountered. Why would you risk screwing up what I assume is a vacation by having an accident. Take public transport which is available almost everywhere. Be safe, not sorry. My two cents worth of advice.

and remember.... dont brush your teeth with tap water or walk on cracks in the pavement..... you'll die for sure..... oh the sheer horror of being here! why do they do it????

and remember.... dont brush your teeth with tap water or walk on cracks in the pavement..... you'll die for sure..... oh the sheer horror of being here! why do they do it????
I personally only drive in Thailand when I remember to bring the Sherman Tank with me

tyc, I strongly disagree. A newly minted driver from a law abiding place like Singapore will be completely unprepared for driving in Thailand. If you have to give a moments thought to basic skills like putting the car in gear and releasing the emergency brake you may not have time to notice the wrong way motorcycle driver when you are turning onto a one way street (or any street). Too many surprises on Thai roads.

• 4 weeks later...

tyc, I strongly disagree. A newly minted driver from a law abiding place like Singapore will be completely unprepared for driving in Thailand. If you have to give a moments thought to basic skills like putting the car in gear and releasing the emergency brake you may not have time to notice the wrong way motorcycle driver when you are turning onto a one way street (or any street). Too many surprises on Thai roads.

Or put it another way, to drive without accidents in Thailand you need to anticipate everything you don't need to anticipate in countries where everybody follows the rules.

Simple example: suddenly there's a car or motorcycle on the shoulder going in the opposite direction to the traffic flow - In most countries you wouldn't need to anticipating this.

And lots more.