Swimming ban remains in effect at Phuket beaches due to rough conditions

rooster59

Swimming ban remains in effect at Phuket beaches due to rough conditions

Eakkapop Thongtub

post-247607-0-14965700-1464512351_thumb.

Tourists at Bangtao could care less about the ban.

PHUKET: Authorities are pleading for cooperation from all tourists and residents to comply with an ongoing swimming ban at all of the island’s west-coast beaches today due to dangerous surf conditions.

Despite the ban, issued following a weather alert from the Thai Met, many tourists yesterday and this morning have been seen enjoying themselves in the water, in some cases only metres from “no swimming” signs and red flags warning of dangerous surf.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/swimming-ban-remains-in-effect-at-phuket-beaches-due-to-rough-conditions-57634.php#cIX235hJp0wZLLHO.97

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-05-29

Swimming permitted at some Phuket Beaches, restrictions to depend on surf conditions
The Phuket News

1464575649_1.jpg

PHUKET: -- Swimming will be restricted at only some parts of some Phuket beaches today depending on weather and surf conditions, the president of Phuket Lifeguard Club (PLC) has clarified.

Speaking to The Phuket News this morning, PLC President Prathaiyuth Chuayuan responded to a report yesterday that swimming had been banned at all Phuket beaches due to dangerous surf.

“There wasn't an absolute ban on swimming. We just closed off certain sections of some beaches, which we deemed too dangerous for swimming. Parts of Nai Harn, Patong and Mai Khao, for example were closed, and we will continue to post red flags, especially where we notice rip tides in the area,” he explained.

“But swimming will still be permitted at many beaches if there is no signs of danger. The best way to know [whether or not swimming is restricted] is for beach-goers to pay attention to the flags and signs posted,” he said.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/swimming-permitted-at-some-phuket-beaches-restrictions-to-depend-on-surf-conditions-57640.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-05-30

A couple of video posts about rips and beach lifeguards.

I hope there are lifeguards present.

It is time that lifeguard towers were placed on major beaches. The towers do not have to be that tall, perhaps 2 - 3 mtr. This would enable the lifeguards to see rips more easily. They could be business funded.

157484132-gold-coast-lifeguard-tower-get

Edited by Speedo1968

I taught my TGF how to get out of a rip by swimming horizontal to the beach until she can swim back to shore. Also showed the manover if someone is choking. She didn't know either. At least if I am choking she can help me....if she remembers. Lol.

There is no cure for idiocy ......................... Some "tourists" leave the brain at home................

Seriously?

I'm going to spend $10,000 to cart my family all the way around the world, and we're not going swimming because of 1.5' - 2' seas like in the photo?

If they outlawed swimming in those same conditions in California, Hawaii. North Carolina or Florida, there would be rioting in the streets. And that's people who just had to ride their bike 500 meters to get to the beach. Never mind tourists who had to drive a few hours. They'd be livid.

If they want to protect tourists, protect tourists. Post life guards with proper training and proper equipment.

$5 signs outlawing the very reason for coming to the beach don't count as good stewardship of their paying guests.

Edited by impulse

Tourists could care less about the ban. Just wait until nature sets an example and the first person drowns. Tourists will start caring much all of a sudden.

From experience: that will make no difference whatsoever, except on the WWW.

There is no cure for idiocy ......................... Some "tourists" leave the brain at home................

Seriously?

I'm going to spend $10,000 to cart my family all the way around the world, and we're not going swimming because of 1.5' - 2' seas like in the photo?

If they outlawed swimming in those same conditions in California, Hawaii. North Carolina or Florida, there would be rioting in the streets. And that's people who just had to ride their bike 500 meters to get to the beach. Never mind tourists who had to drive a few hours. They'd be livid.

If they want to protect tourists, protect tourists. Post life guards with proper training and proper equipment.

$5 signs outlawing the very reason for coming to the beach don't count as good stewardship of their paying guests.

the place you mention have very competent dedicated lifeguards/rescue teams.

i live in hawaii for many years. there are many days swimming is prohibited especially on the north shore in winter on many beaches. i am a lifelong surfer and have great respect for the ocean.

in thailand i have really never felt significant rip currents even in phuket when the waves are up. i have felt big time rips in bali though as well as hawaii. the thailand waves are usually wind swell therefore not much water moving below.

phuket is almost idiot proof for surfing. aside from rocks-reef at kalim beach (good break) its really sand on the bottom.

phuket is almost idiot proof for surfing

Perhaps true if you are an experienced surfer. But the majority of tourists who visit Phuket are Asian, from mainland China, Korea, Japan, Malaysia etc. Many of these visitors might never even have seen the sea! These are the people who drown, because they have no idea about rips, no idea about the dangers of the sea, and in many cases, cannot swim at all.

What should we have? A 2-tier system with swimming allowed for experienced swimmers/surfers and all the others can only paddle in 2 inches of water?

This problem has occurred (IMHO), when the authorities decided to re-name the 'rainy season' as the 'green season'. Perhaps it would be better to market it as the 'drowning season'.

If the authorities want tourists to visit Phuket in the rainy season, then they need to invest a lot more in beach safety and tourist education about the dangers of the sea.

(Sorry to mention my hotel). But in all my guest rooms I have a multi-language information sheet (English, Russian, Chinese, Korean, Japanese) that explains the dangers of the sea, and I make sure that all my guests read this. IMHO, this sign should be required to be placed in every hotel guest room on the island, (but I'm not paying for the printing...)

Edited by simon43

I taught my TGF how to get out of a rip by swimming horizontal to the beach until she can swim back to shore. Also showed the manover if someone is choking. She didn't know either. At least if I am choking she can help me....if she remembers. Lol.

Thanks very much for taking time to teach someone basic beach safety skills. Her knowledge could not only save your life but someone else's to.

I learnt basic life saving at school in the UK when I was about 9 yrs old back in the 1950's. Later I learn beach safety skills in Australia.

This training has come in useful in the past.

The truth of the power of rips was impressed upon me when I was caught in a very strong rip that had moved sideways across the beach, creating sandbars off Manly beach in Australia in the 1960's; whatever I did ( despite being a strong sea swimmer and body surfer ), I couldn't get out and was saved by the lifeguards. I spent a couple of weeks in hospital with concussion, bruising and skin abrasions.

Tourists could care less about the ban. Just wait until nature sets an example and the first person drowns. Tourists will start caring much all of a sudden.

Nature has already proved it's point this year, as in years past - most people still don't care.

Seriously?

I agree with your comments about the US just as the same is true in Australia. You were also probably told not to swim in the sea in the very early morning or at night because of sharks, or river areas near the sea because of crocodiles etc.

The difference here is that they, the tourists, who take no notice of the signs and warnings are either stupid or couldn't care less.

Sure, they may loose a few hours of their holiday, but isn't that better than loosing their life, or costing the life of someone ( a lifeguard ? ) who goes out to try and save them ?

Of course there should be well trained lifeguards, with enough of them on duty to cover the beaches needs, with proper equipment, with watch towers etc - but, who is going to pay ? Perhaps those who ply their trade in and near the beach, or businesses as a whole, or the govt, or TOT should stump up the funds for beach security.

Obviously those tourist have been to the North Shore of Hawaii during the Winter months. If the picture is any indicator, I'm not sure what they're talking about.

Note to self. Forget about surfing in Thailand.

A couple of video posts about rips and beach lifeguards.

I hope there are lifeguards present.

It is time that lifeguard towers were placed on major beaches. The towers do not have to be that tall, perhaps 2 - 3 mtr. This would enable the lifeguards to see rips more easily. They could be business funded.

157484132-gold-coast-lifeguard-tower-get

So what! What they should be doing is simply posting that they are local rips. RIPs don't mean - "Everyone out of the water or the life-guard will physically assault you." I've seen that before here in the LOS. If folks don't understand rips and currents on ocean beaches, they shouldn't be in the water.