Non Married Farang Man buying land in Thailand.

westbounder

Foreigners may actually own land in Thailand, but under these two conditions only:

1) by inheritance as a statutory heir, i.e. one must be a "bloodline" heir;

2) by investing 40 million baht or more in Thai Government bonds for a minimum period of five years and get an approval from the ministry. If granted, the land size must not exceed one rai and be located in Bangkok Metropolitan area.

2) is an option that has been posted here before but nobody knew of anybody who had successfully done it.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aight, I've watched the usual comments for a page or so.

But the best answer, for an unmarried man wanting land: Marry a woman who already has land.

(Ideally lots of it, some of it easily be salable, to buy the land you'd really like.)

Why would a Thai woman that has lots of valuable land want to marry an old Farlang? They only want us for our money anyway and only think about what they screw out of us not the over way around.

The closest affordable way to get there is;

• Set up a Thai company and get the maximum (45% shares) on your name.
  • Thai company, which you own, buys the land and holds the land title.
  • You'll need a few Thai partners to share the other stocks (55%) with.
  • The Thai share holders can be restricted to have no decision making rights for undersigning documents, these rights are only granted to yourself as director. So you have the only rights to make decisions by yourself and with all this legal issued, you technically have the land title 100% under control.
  • Yearly costs to run your company app. 500 USD. The whole setup should not cost more than app. 2500 USD.
  • When you want to sell the land, you need to transfer only the shares of the company to the new owners, no transfer taxes to pay............ only minor costs to transfer the shares by lawyer.
  • It will cost you small money yearly but it guarantees you holding your assets 100% under control even if struggling with relations or friendships.

I've lost valuable assets over the last 25 years in Thailand to so called ''friends for life'', I've been there and many others too. Life changes every day, we can't control the mind of others, neither their way of living.

Putting assets on friends names is a ''no go'' unless you are ready to give all away after all anyway. If you can't find a reasonable priced lawyer, I can recommend you one.

Edited by jovavnni

It is not possible for you to buy land in your name....only for Thai citizens.

It is not possible to trust a Thai friend to buy your land in his name and for problems

not to arrive in the future.......would you buy land in your home country in someone else's name ?

why is it not possible to trust a Thai friend? I have plenty of Thai friends that I trust. Maybe you don't know the right type of Thais and live in Pattaya or some other place like it.

Maybe you have not yet trusted them with your money? Talking and socializing is one thing but when it comes to putting trust in another person for an item you are paying money for, well that is a different matter.

you will loose your shirt mate , and your so called Thai friends , money changes everything here.

"money changes everything here."

Agree that (the love of) money is the root of all evil, but it's hardly a problem only "here."

It is not possible to trust a Thai friend to buy your land in his name and for problems

not to arrive in the future.......would you buy land in your home country in someone else's name ?

why is it not possible to trust a Thai friend? I have plenty of Thai friends that I trust. Maybe you don't know the right type of Thais and live in Pattaya or some other place like it.

Maybe you have not yet trusted them with your money? Talking and socializing is one thing but when it comes to putting trust in another person for an item you are paying money for, well that is a different matter.

Just the other day a situation in the moobaan. 5 years ago, older European farang lady puts home in the name of a "lovely older Thai lady". Decides to move to HH. Heat and smog here are too much for her. Original agreement was 30K THB for this favor at the time of sale. Guess what? This lovely lady demanded 300K to transfer the property, claiming "she didn't know the property was going to appreciate it like it did." Older lady had to choice and no longer friends with the lovely lady.

51/49% regulation has been changed over the years, currently 45/55%.

Another thing regarding putting assets on friends names;

• What if your friend ends up in bankruptcy thought any kind of circumstances of life, or dies?

In this case you'll will end up with someone who's not your friend for life anymore and will take possession of the property, you'll have no rights at all when it overcomes you.............

How about a freind ho gets in financial trouble and the bank seizes the land as part of the repayment. Or someone who is a dear freind today and dies leaving all his assets to his cat. Or a freind for years that someho has a falling out with you over something unrelated to the land. I don't think it's only about "trust" it's about avoiding putting yourself in a situation where things can spin out of control and end up badly for you.

But the best answer, for an unmarried man wanting land: Marry a woman who already has land.

(Ideally lots of it, some of it easily be salable, to buy the land you'd really like.)

Why would a Thai woman that has lots of valuable land want to marry an old Farlang? They only want us for our money anyway and only think about what they screw out of us not the over way around.

I am neither naive or idealistic but you are wrong to be categorical on that count. I say wrong because I have seen different many times in the past 25 years. That said, if the girl has or is associated with the night entertainment business in Thailand then your categorical statement most likely is true for that population.

• The Thai share holders can be restricted to have no decision making rights for undersigning documents, these rights are only granted to yourself as director. So you have the only rights to make decisions by yourself and with all this legal issued, you technically have the land title 100% under control.
  • Yearly costs to run your company app. 500 USD. The whole setup should not cost more than app. 2500 USD.
  • When you want to sell the land, you need to transfer only the shares of the company to the new owners, no transfer taxes to pay............ only minor costs to transfer the shares by lawyer.
  • It will cost you small money yearly but it guarantees you holding your assets 100% under control even if struggling with relations or friendships.

I've lost valuable assets over the last 25 years in Thailand to so called ''friends for life'', I've been there and many others too. Life changes every day, we can't control the mind of others, neither their way of living.

Putting assets on friends names is a ''no go'' unless you are ready to give all away after all anyway. If you can't find a reasonable priced lawyer, I can recommend you one.

This is illegal and could result in the "buyer" losing everything.

Speak for yourself. But you are perhaps a lot older than me. My wife owned her lots for 15 years before she met me. But I have no interest in them or have no interest in building houses, etc.

You can trust your Thai friend & put it in their name or can open a company with you officially 49% shareholding & have your lawyer hold

2% in another Thai name which effectively gives you control.

Beware, they may ask your friend where he got the money as they did in my case (wife).

It is difficult but not impossible. My question would be, why do you wish to own land, is it just for residential, farming or capital gain?

Do you know how many people have lost everything under this scenario due to forgery, etc.?

please listen to the advice here. lease it, 49% company ownership, in a friends name, all bad ideas. fact that you want to save on lawyers, this will probably guarantee your loss. if you do it you need to find the best (which probably means the most expensive) lawyer recommended by some of their western customers. seriously only buy land here if you can walk away from your investment without feeling bitter, as this is what will probably happen.

Do you know how many people have lost everything under this scenario due to forgery, etc.?

i have met several, often their wifes have forged their signatures and borrowed money against their house. court cases drag on for years. do a google search, one poor guy i met down in phuket lost hundreds of thousands of pounds in property when the mother of his 3 kids took out a small loan against his assets. happens again and again because people wont listen.

i have met several, often their wifes have forged their signatures and borrowed money against their house. court cases drag on for years. do a google search, one poor guy i met down in phuket lost hundreds of thousands of pounds in property when the mother of his 3 kids took out a small loan against his assets. happens again and again because people wont listen.

I know the case. It's a heart-breaking situation. And yes, I forget the exact numbers but basically the wife sold the houses from under him 52 million THB homes for what - 150,000 THB - or less)?

Actually here it is "...five properties, worth well over £1m ($1.5m)..." lost for a small loan. http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-34346620

Edited by elektrified

If you're American citizen, you can open a Thai company limited under the Thai-American Amity Treaty.

That is not correct, i have a American Amity Treaty company and this type of company cannot own land as it is owned by foreigners. The only benefit of such company is that you can own the company 100% and not have thai shareholders and thus be subjected to the Nominee problem.

Edited by THAIJAMES

I know the case. It's a heart-breaking situation. And yes, I forget the exact numbers but basically the wife sold the houses from under him 52 million THB homes for what - 150,000 THB - or less)?

Actually here it is "...five properties, worth well over £1m ($1.5m)..." lost for a small loan. http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-34346620

i met the guy in person while waiting outside the court house in phuket on a different matter. he told me the whole story. was costing him 100 000thb each time he went to court and he was 3 years into the case which i advised him to walk away from, as he could not win. the loan sharks had taken his land and mortgaged it, the banks then took control of it. this was not just his friend. it was the mother of his 3 kids. cant trust anyone on these matters.

It helps if you move around in other (or multiple) circles, and aren't hell-bent on a 20-something bargirl / waitress / farmgirl / etc.

A friend of mine is around 60 and recently found a woman around 40 or so who's downright wealthy. That makes lots of things easier, not necessarily material stuff but it's also one less feeling off your mind, that she's with you basically only for the reasons you allude to.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai