Carry cash out of Thailand - Implications?

What are the implications for carrying (and declaring) cash in excess of $US10,000 out of Thailand? Is the declaration just a formality ... or what? I will be heading for Australia, does it make any difference if take it in Thai Baht or $AU?

From: http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/travellers/departing+from+thailand/departingfromthailand

Foreign Currency

The travelers bringing foreign currency more than USD 20,000 or its equivalent into or out of Thailand are required to make a report to Customs. This report is required by the “Ministerial Regulation (No. 25) B.E. 2530 issued under the Authority of the Currency Exchange Control Act B.E. 2485 and relevant regulations.

The Regulation and Notification require that the travelers bringing foreign currency into or out of Thailand, both a bank note and a coin, with the total aggregate value exceeding USD 20,000 or its equivalent, must report it to a Customs officer at a port/airport of entry or exit, using the given Foreign Currency Declaration Form. The travelers must complete, sign, and submit the Form to report their foreign currency where such currency are physically carried by a person arriving in or departing from Thailand, or where they form part of the person’s baggage and that person and his or her baggage are being carried on board the same conveyance across the border.

A person who reports currency has to answer truthfully any questions that a border services officer asks about the information required for the report.

Thai Currency

The amount of 50,000 baht or more in Thai currency must be reported on departure, except those traveling to Lao PDR., Myanmar, Cambodia, Malaysia, and Vietnam are allowed to take out Thai currency not exceeding 500,000 baht.

None because the limit is US$ 20,000 (or equilivent) before reporting is required.

Oh! I thought the limit was $US10,000. Then I just have to get it converted before I leave and make no declaration, in Thailand at least. Thankyou.

Whenever we carry more than $10k into Australia we split it up. The declaration is just a formality, but why attract attention?

I know its just a formality at the Oz end, and I will make the declaration for that reason - no reason not to. I just wasn't sure at this end, that's all. But thanks.

In fact I make a point of declaring something every time I enter Oz. On balance it makes things a lot easier, given the attention that I used to get as a frequently arriving single male coming from Thailand. With a declaration any suspicions that may attach to my status seem to disappear.

Who would want to carry Thai baht out in any case, you'd almost certainly get a really bad rate in another country. Super Rich in the basement of Swampy gives good rates and is reliable.

Yes you are right. Thanks for the tip re exchange

Your in luck. Australia has an ATM machine that accepts foreign credit cards. For directions just ask Bob at the Shell service station in Sydney. Watch out for the Koala drop bears, and remember to drive on the right, theres quite a few of those automobiles there these days.

I suggest you ask your bank to prepare a demand draft payable to you for the amount you want to have available to you Australia. You can open your new bank account there with it. Then your not taking such a huge risk with this large amount of money.

None because the limit is US$ 20,000 (or equilivent) before reporting is required.

there's a limit taking Thai Baht to Australia! the limit is 50k Baht = USD 1,400.-

Silly question maybe but why would you want to take Thai Baht to Australia?

Whenever we carry more than $10k into Australia we split it up. The declaration is just a formality, but why attract attention?

I know its just a formality at the Oz end, and I will make the declaration for that reason - no reason not to. I just wasn't sure at this end, that's all. But thanks.

In fact I make a point of declaring something every time I enter Oz. On balance it makes things a lot easier, given the attention that I used to get as a frequently arriving single male coming from Thailand. With a declaration any suspicions that may attach to my status seem to disappear.

What's the issue with single men travelling to Thailand? Are you serious?

Your questions should be researched by a competent, licensed, highly recommended law firm if you are transporting a large sum of money.

The answers should be in writing.

Then confirmed by customs in Thailand and customs in the country you are going to.

Current laws and policies regarding currency change like the direction of the wind now with the current worldwide financial situation.

By depending on a forum, you are putting your money at risk.

If the sum you are transporting is over the limit you risk losing part of it, even all of it, and or being detained and paying large fines.

You want the answers in writing because if the money was ceased, your defense would be the letter from the law firm. You could also file a claim with their errors and omissions, professional liability Insurance carrier to recover lost funds if they provided incorrect information.

What are you talking about. ? Nearly all ATMs in OZ &, NZ, Singapora, Malaysia, Indo, Lao & Burma accept both my Thai ATM cards

Slightly off topic but just a heads up for everyone. I took a friend to open an account at Bangkok Bank last week. He asked for an ATM card that could be used in an ATM overseas. He was told that Bangkok Bank was now only issuing cards that could be used in Bangkok Bank ATM's in Thailand and could not be used at all in other countries from now on. The reason stated was security. My old Bkk Bank card still works in other ATM's and outside the country but after it expires, the new one will not work in anything other than a Bkk Bank ATM in Thailand.

What's to stop you transferring the money electronically, and equally if I want to transfer the money the Sterling equivalent of 800000 baht from the UK to my Thai Bank Account for my Retirement/Long Stay Visa, the Customs won't know about that ?

What actual experiential evidence do you have that any of what you say is true?

Oh! I thought the limit was $US10,000. Then I just have to get it converted before I leave and make no declaration, in Thailand at least. Thankyou.

Although you can carry out of Thailand the equivalent of 20K USD you would have to declare anything over 10K AUD when entering Australia.

Heres an interesting story.

I remember walking thru the xray machine at Swampy last year with £2000 in my wallet. I showed the wallet to the officer and told him it had money in it. He told me to put it on a tray so it could go thru with my laptop etc.

I smirked at him and told him 'no its ok I'll carry it'.

And that was the end of that.

Told you it was interesting.

Edited by berybert

Agree 100%. I usually have stuff such as sweet and sour tamarind which is not available in Australia, and I always declare it. Think I've had it inspected once in 8 years. I think it's better to declare something,as a single male traveller in a certain age group from Thailand with nothing to declare could well fit the profile of a drug smuggler. Pony tails, shaved heads, tatts and metal studs probably reinforce the profile.

Carrying cash other than Thai baht in excess of specified amounts is quite legal, provided that you have physical evidence such as a corresponding withdrawal from a bank account to explain it. Nothing wrong with splitting cash either,if that option is available.

Failure to declare can get one into trouble because there are penalties attached to the form submitted on the grounds of being a false declaration.

Customs officers receive intensive training in detecting untoward body language, so it's smarter to be up front with them.

there's a limit taking Thai Baht to Australia! the limit is 50k Baht = USD 1,400.-

Silly question maybe but why would you want to take Thai Baht to Australia?

For when you are going back to Thailand?

Your questions should be researched by a competent, licensed, highly recommended law firm if you are transporting a large sum of money.

Then confirmed by customs in Thailand and customs in the country you are going to.

Current laws and policies regarding currency change like the direction of the wind now with the current worldwide financial situation.

If the sum you are transporting is over the limit you risk losing part of it, even all of it, and or being detained and paying large fines.

You want the answers in writing because if the money was ceased, your defense would be the letter from the law firm. You could also file a claim with their errors and omissions, professional liability Insurance carrier to recover lost funds if they provided incorrect information.

A bit of overkill don't you think? The amounts in question are probably in the range of US $ 10-20k...hardly allot of money for most people.

What are you talking about. ? Nearly all ATMs in OZ &, NZ, Singapora, Malaysia, Indo, Lao & Burma accept both my Thai ATM cards

Slightly off topic but just a heads up for everyone. I took a friend to open an account at Bangkok Bank last week. He asked for an ATM card that could be used in an ATM overseas. He was told that Bangkok Bank was now only issuing cards that could be used in Bangkok Bank ATM's in Thailand and could not be used at all in other countries from now on. The reason stated was security. My old Bkk Bank card still works in other ATM's and outside the country but after it expires, the new one will not work in anything other than a Bkk Bank ATM in Thailand.

I highly doubt the veracity of this report...it doesn't make any sense. The only recent change regarding debit cards is they are only issuing "chipped" cards now. You and your friend must have been confused by what the bank told you. One of the purposes of these new chip cards is to conform to international banking and ATM/POS machine standards,

To my knowledge there still is a declaration of over $10k entering or leaving the US. The 20k limit is Thailand's limit...

A bit of overkill don't you think? The amounts in question are probably in the range of US $ 10-20k...hardly allot of money for most people.

I am sure the law on bring in or out of Australia is clearly spelled out on the countries customs web site, For currency in/out of the USA is:

Travelers leaving or entering the U.S. are required to report negotiable monetary instruments (i.e. currency or endorsed checks) valued at $10,000 or more on a "Report of International Transportation of Currency or Monetary Instruments" form FinCEN 105.