Ipaq Hw6515 With Tomtom Gps - Good For Los?

bmdailey

I have a iPAQ hw6515 which is big phone. Does the TomTom (or other GPS vendor for Pocket PC) work well in THailand's major cities?

My iPAQ hw6515 is a SIM based phone.

Should I just pick up a small local phone? I will be in LOS for 5 months and don't talk a lot on the mobile. I would lug over the iPaq primarily for the GPS capabilities.

I have a iPAQ hw6515 which is big phone. Does the TomTom (or other GPS vendor for Pocket PC) work well in THailand's major cities?

My iPAQ hw6515 is a SIM based phone.

Should I just pick up a small local phone? I will be in LOS for 5 months and don't talk a lot on the mobile. I would lug over the iPaq primarily for the GPS capabilities.

It will work here just as well as anywhere else in the world.

The trick is getting maps for it.

I have a GPS for the car and the Thai maps are great. My map came with the unit. But a friend did buy the GPS unit and map seperately. That was Garmin so I'm not sure about compatability.

You can buy the maps from ESRI (Thailand) or GadgetTrend. You should find them with Google.

If you find maps from another source please PM me the info.

Cheers

Dear bmdailey,

I use an iPaq HW 6515 here in Thailand. i don't use TomTom but you can buy sim cards for varying periods to use the iPaq as a phone. Any phone shop should do it.

my phone provider even setup the iPaq as a modem but that had some issues, not necessarily caused by the phone provider.

Hope you are keeping well,

All the Best

Bill Z