Passenger smiling again as Thai Smile Airways coughs up compo

webfact

Passenger smiling again as Thai Smile Airways coughs up compo

6.jpg
Image: Manager Online

BANGKOK: -- A passenger who last week was offered a new bag or a couple of thousand baht after her luggage was all but destroyed has now been given proper compensation.

Pictures of the woman's bag had been posted online on the Pantip site under the heading "Damaged luggage - We're not smiling anymore". An Apple laptop looked like it had been run over and clothes and other electrical items were damaged beyond repair reported Manager Online.

Thai Smile Airways have now admitted it was their flight from Phuket to Bangkok (WE 8672) when the bag was damaged. It had apparently fallen from a baggage truck at Suvarnabhumi and been run over by another one in the dark and had never made it to the baggage carousel.

The company claimed that this accident was the first of its kind in four years of the airline's operation and that care of passengers' bags are a high priority. They said they had come to an agreement with the owner of the bag for mutually agreeable compensation.

The original post had caused much comment online with care of passengers' belongings coming under the spotlight.

Source: Manager Online

tvn.png
-- 2016-05-31

If there was some form of effective independent regulators they would have slammed Thai airways and give them a hefty fine. Sadly because they have lost some face they may have finally done the right thing. Hardly something to smile about. Maybe smirk!

Amazing thing, the power of publicity eh?

Oh yes, without it the original take it or leave it offer would have stood.

One can see why the junta is rushing to take Thailand back to the dark ages - it was much easier to get away with all manner of stuff before the advent of this pesky social media!

If not for social media, they would never have changed their tune.

I am not saying you are wrong, but I am curious how you reached that conclusion? Or is it just an early morning bash?

Not saying you didn't read the article, but I am curious how anyone couldn't reach that conclusion after doing so.

It's a shame they weren't up front in the first place and just fixed the problem.

I've flown with them several times and found them to be excellent.

The problem is that the first line services of most airlines have a box that they cannot get out of. If the passenger refuses to accept the offer is has to go to the next level of management etc for approval.

Years ago that might have worked but nowadays with so much social media available, literally at the touch of a button, the old methods and ways are out of date.

According to Panthip.com it was the CEO of Thai Smile who stepped forwards and offered compensation out of his own pocket.

IF true - this is purely a damage limitation exercise.

There should be something in place for Damage beyond reasonable expectations.

A few others have also come forwards with heavily damaged baggage after a Thai Smile flight... However, as I understand it, the baggage handlers are not part of the airline. But, for the sake of the passenger someone must be held accountable...

Let Thai Smile deal with whichever company it is who handles baggage and pass on the claim to them.

If not for social media, they would never have changed their tune.

I am not saying you are wrong, but I am curious how you reached that conclusion? Or is it just an early morning bash?

I would say that it's obvious - no proof needed!

Who stuffs their Mac into check-in luggage? Sheer idiocy.

Sorry the 2,000B compensation didn't cover the 40,000B Mac. Som-nam-naa.

2000 baht probably wouldn't have covered the cost of the make up! Maybe her cabin luggage allowance was already taken up. The point is, 2000 baht compensation was totally inadequate for the damage caused, and the air line have upped the amount, only after the bad publicity.

2000 baht probably wouldn't have covered the cost of the make up! Maybe her cabin luggage allowance was already taken up. The point is, 2000 baht compensation was totally inadequate for the damage caused, and the air line have upped the amount, only after the bad publicity.

Theyre Thais, what else would you expect?

Integrity? cheesy.gif

Theyre Thais, what else would you expect?

Integrity? cheesy.gif

That's exactly the point! Have to keep on attracting the quality tourists that have enough money to buy a 40,000 baht Mac in the first place, hence the very public announcement of increased compensation!

Why was there a laptop in checked baggage? There is an old school scam where you claim 'lost items' that were never in your bags to begin with. This could be a variation of that. It's not like anyone with the airline can confirm what was is in the bag and thus the customer is on his or her 'honor' as to what was damaged.