webfact

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Labour party is on the ropes, It would seem Labour voters favour Brexit

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36496203

The tide is turning in favour of Brexit. coffee1.gif

"Turning tides", "Labour voters favours Brexit", what are you imbibing this PM:

Whilst two renegades defy the party mantra, "Labour's leadership is campaigning to stay in the EU" (Remain) "and says Labour votes will be crucial in the referendum".

It follows comments by shadow home secretary Mr Burnham, who told BBC Two's Newsnight the party had failed to reach out to traditional Labour voters.

"We have definitely been far too much Hampstead and not enough Hull in recent times and we need to change that. Here we are two weeks away from the very real prospect that Britain will vote for isolation," he told BBC Two's Newsnight.

I think even there Mr Burnham fails to understand working class voters. On a visit home in 2006, and talking to a far left former Labour Party member. He and others felt betrayed by Labour and were now voting BNP. The same people who ridiculed me, when I stopped supporting them because I felt they were too far left.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

Have you read up on all the facts and opinions,then if you have done so and that is your decisions. OK.

However I wonder if you've read to many of the scare stories spouted out by the remain side.

The attached thumbnail is very misleading.

• Membership fee:
    • REMAIN: £1 a day a head, spent throughout EU, biased by need.
    • LEAVE: No aid to poor EU countries.
  • Human rights
    • REMAIN: Protected by European Court of Human Rights (incl. Russia & Turkey)
    • LEAVE: Protected by UK Parliament (delaying action possible by judges)
  • Fisheries
    • REMAIN: UK waters are European
    • LEAVE: Unclear - foreigners have bought most of the UK quotas!
  • TTIP
    • REMAIN: Dependent on European Commission to protect NHS
    • LEAVE: Dependent on GATT? Leave camp believe we will negotiate with US on trade, so, do you trust UK governments either? (John Major's personal commitment was unusual.)
  • Supreme court
    • REMAIN: ECJ where it has competence - but Germany believes German courts have ultimate jurisdiction in Germany.
    • LEAVE: UK (assuming human rights under ECtHR replaced by 'Bill of Rights')
  • Red tape
    • REMAIN: Brussels and Whitehall (and devolved governments)
    • LEAVE: Whitehall (and devolved governments)
  • Jobs & immigration
    • REMAIN: Pressure at lower end (deskilled(?) EU immigrants)
    • LEAVE: Pressure on middle-class (Tier 2 of PBS). Compulsory agricultural work for unemployed?
  • Food pricing
    • REMAIN: Common Agricultural Policy
    • LEAVE: Undeclared - but I expect farmers to take a hit.
  • Green taxes
    • REMAIN: (Could we have a reference to EU green taxes - I can't find any!)
    • LEAVE: Any reason for change?
  • Single currency
    • REMAIN: Risk of joining - but opportunity to help dismantle and raise European prosperity.
    • LEAVE: Pound protected - unless we're forced back into the EU. There's also the risk of the UK government becoming insolvent.
  • Trade negotiations
    • REMAIN: Done by EU
    • LEAVE: At UK level, e.g. seat at World Trade Organisation.
  • Foreign Aid
    • REMAIN: Co-ordinated - but UK may control its excess beyond the collective requirement.
    • LEAVE: Up to the UK
  • Industrial subsidy
    • REMAIN: Limited and controlled by UK
    • LEAVE: Free to use to disguise ineffective employment. More vulnerable to businesses shopping for government subsidy.
  • EU expansion
    • REMAIN: Too embarrassed to veto.
    • LEAVE: Not a problem - unless forced to remain in EEA, in which case we have no say on Turks.
  • EU Army
    • REMAIN: Presumably we keep the nuclear deterrent.
    • LEAVE: Keep nuclear deterrent to deter the French. NATO remains a relevant framework.
  • EU Police force
    • REMAIN: Ambition.
    • LEAVE: Irrelevant
  • Discrimination against other EU nationals
    • REMAIN: Tightly constrained - though I foresee firmer actions against EU overstayers.
    • LEAVE: Allowed to government

Note that a UK Bill of Rights will be extremely vulnerable to encroachment by government - does anyone seriously expect to get Habeas Corpus back? In many cases the argument depends on whether one has federal inclinations or not.

A 10 point Brexit lead will hopefully galavanise the Remain campaign, just as in the Scottish referendum. Time for Gordon?

3 reasons being cited for this lead.

1. The introduction of Tony Blair by the remainiacs. Not a wise move.

2. The abysmal performance of the 3 attack dogs on ITV ( Sturgeon, Rudd and Eagle ) that Cameron has now come out and condemned.

3. The utterly bizarre performance by Eddie Izzard on the BBC's QT.

Time for Gordon ?

Brown has one major Political plus. He kept the UK out of the euro. I would be willing to wager that at least 50% of the electorate are not aware of this.

What is he remembered for.

1. Selling off the UK's gold for rock bottom prices.

2. His tirade against an old lady branding her a racist..

If you want to see that 10 point lead doubled overnight, just roll out Gordon.

Andrew Neil interviews Nigel Farage

Next Friday its Ian Duncan Smith

Clear, concise and coherent and IMO sensible view.

How different from the remainiacs performances on the BBC and ITV on Thursday. The Americans have a great saying for this, Batsh!t crazy. How apt.

Andrew Neil interviews Nigel Farage

Next Friday its Ian Duncan Smith

Clear, concise and coherent and IMO sensible view.

How different from the remainiacs performances on the BBC and ITV on Thursday. The Americans have a great saying for this, Batsh!t crazy. How apt.

Interesting interview. Farage made some good points, but was also shown to be a typical politician in others.

• Industrial subsidy
    • REMAIN: Limited and controlled by UK
    • LEAVE: Free to use to disguise ineffective employment. More vulnerable to businesses shopping for government subsidy.

That should of course have been:

Industrial subsidy

• REMAIN: Limited and controlled by UK EU

Right that's the pound f&&cked for the forseeable future - good luck Brit retirees on UK pensions better start economising now. Why can't we take a leaf out of Thailand's book and get the army in to suspend democracy. The shock waves will be enormous and the Scots are showing a majority to leave - could be a 1997 baht crisis / 2007 Lehman moment when global dominoes begin to fall and the fiction of global growth is exposed for what it is - massive quantitative easing and record low interest rates from wetern economies - and huge pointless infrastructure from China to keep the punchbowl topped up. First rule of a crisis is don't panic and the second rule if you must panic rush to the exits first.sad.png

Better to look the facts up and not listen to all the scare stories. Do you think,that if the electorate had been asked in the 1975 referendum to vote on what this monster of a EU would evolve into,the answer would have been YES ?

I don't know how old you are,but I can assure you that the vast majority of those who voted to join the EEC in 1975 now realise they were completely deceived.

"the pound tumbled the most in almost four months after the latest poll showed the campaign for Britain to leave the European Union took a 10 percentage-point lead less than two weeks before the referendum".

488x-1.png

Nice job Team Brexit!

It's not Team Brexit's fault. Dodgy Dave called the referendum. Anyway, the markets will stabilise pretty much straight after the referendum whether it's in or out.

The sell off has already begun - 55% leave to 45% remain shock poll seems to be a bellweather moment - told the missus to transfer as much as we can to baht on Monday whilst there's still a window left for 50 - expect a pound crash if we leave. Pundits reckon on a 20% devaluation which would mean 40 to the pound.Back in 2003 when I worked in LOS for a year it was 75 - lived like a king !

Everyone has a plan until they are punched in the face. Mike Tyson

I don't know if you've been following this thread, but can I refer you to my post No 494 on the 9th. As Cpl Jones would say "don't Panic"

post-78707-0-81456800-1465632859_thumb.j

A 10 point Brexit lead will hopefully galavanise the Remain campaign, just as in the Scottish referendum. Time for Gordon?

Why not a double act with his mate,who between them caused many of the problems now faced by the U.K.

post-78707-0-23545100-1465633086_thumb.j

Why not a double act with his mate,who between them caused many of the problems now faced by the U.K.

Exactly. Wheeling out Blair was a bad mistake.

2. The abysmal performance of the 3 attack dogs on ITV ( Sturgeon, Rudd and Eagle ) that Cameron has now come out and condemned.

4. Importing Obama to threaten us with 'back of the queue' for any trade deals.

Sanctimonious oik.

Time for Gordon ?

Brown has one major Political plus. He kept the UK out of the euro. I would be willing to wager that at least 50% of the electorate are not aware of this.

What is he remembered for.

1. Selling off the UK's gold for rock bottom prices.

2. His tirade against an old lady branding her a racist..

If you want to see that 10 point lead doubled overnight, just roll out Gordon.

I fear you are probably right! Who can Remain produce to swing it back in the last few days? Richard Branson, the Queen, Ant & Dec?

Eddie Izzard turns up on national television dressed like a camp Frank Spencer and expects people to take him seriously...

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1465635001.680391.jpg

Eddie Izzard's stand-up routine is great. But he didn't do Remain any favours here.

To be honest, while I've already voted, both campaigns have been dishonest and shambolic.

Eddie Izzard turns up on national television dressed like a camp Frank Spencer and expects people to take him seriously...

It wouldn't have been so bad if he'd have added any value to the remain camp.

All due respect to his recent charity heroics, but that's besides the point.

It's not Team Brexit's fault. Dodgy Dave called the referendum. Anyway, the markets will stabilise pretty much straight after the referendum whether it's in or out.

No doubt had somebody suggested it was Cameron's fault for calling the referendum, some oddball would argue that it was not his fault but that of his parents for having him. You see how weird your argument sounds now!

And yes, markets will stabilise after the referendum, at some point in the future, later more than sooner we are told repeatedly.

I met a young Brit the other day, recently arrived from the UK. To paraphrase, he was saying that yes, generally those with less education were for Brexit but that the educated against Brexit still believe that in the long run the UK must leave the EU. Just not now.

He also said that the referendum is non-binding so no matter the result the gov't won't be required to act upon it.

Is this more or less the view from Brits here?

I met a young Brit the other day, recently arrived from the UK. To paraphrase, he was saying that yes, generally those with less education were for Brexit but that the educated against Brexit still believe that in the long run the UK must leave the EU. Just not now.

He also said that the referendum is non-binding so no matter the result the gov't won't be required to act upon it.

Yes the referendum is not binding. It will take around 2 years to negotiate a Brexit and then it would need to be voted on by parliament. If there is no majority we remain. More likely, is that following the Brexit negotiations, a new reform package on more favourable terms will be cobbled together and a 2nd referendum will be held.

No doubt had somebody suggested it was Cameron's fault for calling the referendum, some oddball would argue that it was not his fault but that of his parents for having him. You see how weird your argument sounds now!

And yes, markets will stabilise after the referendum, at some point in the future, later more than sooner we are told repeatedly.

I'm no oddball and I didn't raise an argument. I merely referred to your statement that the volatility of sterling is, as you say, the fault of Team Brexit.

How is this exactly?

Oh good - another poster saying that only the uneducated would vote for Brexit, only this time its a young Brit that the poster talked to about the subject who expressed this view rolleyes.gif .

But I agree with the rest of your post. Its only binding if the vote is to remain.

Oh good - another poster saying that only the uneducated would vote for Brexit, only this time its a young Brit that the poster talked to about the subject who expressed this view rolleyes.gif .

But I agree with the rest of your post. Its only binding if the vote is to remain.

So mopar71 has immediately determined that his new friend is intelligent? Amazing ability you have there, mopar71.

What reasoning did your newly found friend proffer as to why the UK must leave the EU but just not now? And any timings as to when the UK should leave and under what conditions?

This should be interesting.

Only for Brits with Brain:

It's rare to see historic moments coming, because it's impossible to know how history will change and what course it will run. But sometimes you do see it. Sometimes you know something is about to happen that has the potential to change our world.

If Britain is clever, it will remain a member of the EU, because it will recognise that the future of the west is at stake.

This vote is about preserving Europe's competitiveness in times of change and struggle between world powers. It's about nothing less than the future of the peace project started in 1946 by erstwhile enemy nations on a devastated continent, ("Let Europe arise!" as Churchill put it). It is a project that has unified western Europe for seven decades.

The words are becoming increasingly heated. EU opponents are comparing Brussels to Hitler and producing dangerously false statistics, while the dominant tone among EU supporters is pathos. For once, the latter is justified, because fundamental principles are at stake.

Britain is a bridge between Europe and the US. If Britain leaves the EU on this side of the Atlantic while Donald Trump becomes president on the other, then seemingly permanent alliances will wobble, and a weakened Europe would end up alone, helpless amid myriad global crises.

If the right-wing populists grow stronger, because Europe suddenly weakens and shrinks just as they are on the rise, what will remain of the ideal of tolerant and progressive cooperation that defines the west?

So if Britain is clever, it will realise that it is not a world power on its own, that it will lose much with a yes to Brexit on June 23, and gain nothing but a brief moment of pride.

If it votes to leave because a disproportionately high proportion of older and less well-educated British want it so passionately, Germany and the rest of Europe will have to accept that today's EU is dysfunctional and unattractive. The EU should then mourn the loss of departed Britain and learn from it, and it should cease giving humiliating gifts to those who have left and develop some resolution.

Or else, hopefully, it will be the other way round: Should the British vote against Brexit, perhaps by 55% or 60% rather than 50.1%, then that would be a mandate. Then the British should stop doing the things that have irritated the rest of Europe for years: special requests, self-pity and wretched haggling over every last detail.

The day after the vote, the British should understand that they themselves helped create this detested Europe that they were so close to leaving, and start building a better one.

Archived