New Brexit polls suggest shift in favour of leaving the EU

webfact

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we vote out where would the pound end up against the baht?, that concerns me more than saving a few millions or keeping a few illegal immigrants out

Don't worry about it. According to those who wish to give up their soverenty and remain in this inefficient and corrupt Union. The day after the UK gains it's independence, the 3rd world war will start,resulting in Armageddon. In other words don't believe all the scare stories.

Regarding your point on a Few illegal immigrants. Most of the immigrants are in fact legal,having the right to abode in the UK due to the EU 's open border policy. Two years ago Nigel Farage was criticized for expressing an opinion that hundreds of thousands of Romanians would enter the UK and take jobs from the lower paid. His critics said the figure would maybe 30,000. How many have actually entered the UK. 240,000.

Closer to 350,000 Romanians in UK. But what is your point?

If we vote out where would the pound end up against the baht?, that concerns me more than saving a few millions or keeping a few illegal immigrants out

Don't worry about it. According to those who wish to give up their soverenty and remain in this inefficient and corrupt Union. The day after the UK gains it's independence, the 3rd world war will start,resulting in Armageddon. In other words don't believe all the scare stories.

Regarding your point on a Few illegal immigrants. Most of the immigrants are in fact legal,having the right to abode in the UK due to the EU 's open border policy. Two years ago Nigel Farage was criticized for expressing an opinion that hundreds of thousands of Romanians would enter the UK and take jobs from the lower paid. His critics said the figure would maybe 30,000. How many have actually entered the UK. 240,000.

Closer to 350,000 Romanians in UK. But what is your point?

I think you have just made it for him.

why rubbish?

Because NAAM is German and he well knows that on the UK departing this so called Union,the Germans will have to cough up more into the ever demanding EU budget.

Ridiculous like most of the article in question

Switzerland and Norway successful because of not being in EU. Utter nonsense!

You silly Brexiteers would carry more weight if you were even slightly reasonable

As it is, you're becoming a laughing stock

Why so anti German? A bit of an inferiority complex coming through? Prosit!

strewth that would see a few starting to struggle, including me sad.png

It's all guess work at this stage but a worst case 20% drop against USD would give that sort of result. Interestingly, my personal budget notes tell me that a year ago I was using 54.67 to the Pound for accounting purposes so we've seen an almost 10% drop in that time and that's without the impact of Brexit!

When I first went to Thailand Dec 2011 the Thai Baht was about 50 to the pound, I have been back between 2 and 3 times a year since Thai baht fluctuating between 46 and 56 if I recall correctly. 50 seems average.

Indeed for the 5 year period you mention 50 is about average with quite a few swings in between - the average since 2013 is about 52. And as a casual visitor the exchange rate is probably of no great consequence to you, especially if you are earning Pounds back home. The story for the retired British expat in Thailand is totally different however where many rely on UK pension income, income that is in Pounds and which, over the past seven years, has fallen in value substantially, with the threat of an even greater fall looming in the wings.

When I first came to Thailand on business some 28yrs ago,the exchange rate was 37baht to the pound,if I recall correctly at one stage it went down to 34. I was also here in the late 90's when for a short period I received 97 bht to the pound. Even 8 yrs ago the exchange rate was 67bht. Then 3yrs ago the rate was approximately 46.So what is baffling me now is how you can state that 1 yr ago you were working on 54.67, yet my records tell me the then rate was 51bht to the pound,nearly the same as to day.

strewth that would see a few starting to struggle, including me sad.png

It's all guess work at this stage but a worst case 20% drop against USD would give that sort of result. Interestingly, my personal budget notes tell me that a year ago I was using 54.67 to the Pound for accounting purposes so we've seen an almost 10% drop in that time and that's without the impact of Brexit!

When I first went to Thailand Dec 2011 the Thai Baht was about 50 to the pound, I have been back between 2 and 3 times a year since Thai baht fluctuating between 46 and 56 if I recall correctly. 50 seems average.

Indeed for the 5 year period you mention 50 is about average with quite a few swings in between - the average since 2013 is about 52. And as a casual visitor the exchange rate is probably of no great consequence to you, especially if you are earning Pounds back home. The story for the retired British expat in Thailand is totally different however where many rely on UK pension income, income that is in Pounds and which, over the past seven years, has fallen in value substantially, with the threat of an even greater fall looming in the wings.

I think both sides missed out on an opportunity here, should they have promised to unfreeze pensions of expats they would have gained a lot of votes, I guess they think they can win without the expense

I see that John Major and Tony Blair have formed an unholy alliance, and are in Northern Ireland spreading alarm

and despondency and generally undermining the peace process with their inflammatory comments.

And "Slippery Bill" Clinton has also waded in. It seems that he is losing sleep over the possibility of Brexit and how

it will affect peace and prosperity in Northern Ireland! Self-serving Bill the liar, what do you think he expects to get

out of spouting this nonsense; a future Knighthood, or maybe support from the British side of the pond for his

equally disgusting wife, Hillary Rodham Clinton?

Personally, I wouldn't trust any one of these three former politicians, nor any of their pronouncements.

The Remain campaign are really scraping the bottom of the barrel now, to have these doubtful and dubious

spokesmen talking up the Remainian case.

Two past UK PM's representing circa fourteen years of UK government, one past US President representing circa 250 million people for eight years plus one future US President.

Doubtful and dubious characters! Right!!!

Is that the best defence you can muster for the 3 gentlemen?

Tony Blair will be remembered for supporting GW Bush's actions in going into Iraq, using extremely suspect justifications (lies).

Look at the subsequent condition of the Iraq aftermath. The world is still picking up the pieces.

Clinton will be remembered for his womanising and the Monica Lewinsky scandal, his subsequent lies and deceit.

Are these good role models for you?

Concerning Bill, I'm reminded of Mel Brookes History of the world part II quote: " it's good to be the King"! Now call me amoral, but if I was in that position and a pretty intern offered some gentle relaxation? Ok, I'm amoral, you win!

Tony obviously got it wrong over Iraq. But was he misled by American Neocons like Bush and Cheney?

John Major? Dull but honourable.

Do you respect anybody? Farage maybe?

Such spin! Do you actually believe any of the words that you have written? You have out-Campbelled Campbell!

Not only was Clinton paying for some extra-marital dalliances, but he pursued women in a most egregious fashion.

Today he would be called a stalker. And you really are a chauvinist. Why would a young and callow naïf like Lewinsky

be offering Clinton anything? If your "amorality" (your word choice) puts you in the same category and league as

Bill Clinton, I would be too ashamed to admit it.

And the lauded (by Chiang Mai) ex-British Prime Minister Tony Blair was misled? You think he was politically naïve?

Got into bed with the wrong crowd? Those scheming double-dealing Americans? Bathos at its best.

Best you don't pass any more comments on this particular topic, I think; you are not doing yourself any favours.

why rubbish?

Because NAAM is German and he well knows that on the UK departing this so called Union,the Germans will have to cough up more into the ever demanding EU budget.

Yes I agree the the EU budget is ever-demanding. Both sides may not agree on the net UK contribution figure but even if they accept the independent figures (8.5 billion in 2015), it is clear that the demands are rising year on year. It's this 'acceleration' that is troubling, and it applies to all aspects of the debate. For example, the UK has always had immigration but the levels seen in recent years have no precedent.

It's the same with the EU budget - after decades of modest increments, things are going bat shit crazy - the EU budget is forecast to rise from 150.2 billion euros this year (2016) to 167.6 billion in 2020. It's the greed and arrogance that gets me. Youth unemployment in Greece is over 40% yet the EU needs more of other peoples' money to continue their excellent work.

Despite how much Brits love to moan about the EU I have no faith that the UK will vote leave. 2020 will roll around, UK contributions will probably be around 12 billion net and Greece will still be a mess.

why rubbish?

that i'm a German is irrelevant because i don't pay a single penny to subsidise any nonsense bred in Brussels pertaining to the EU and can therefore judge without bias.

however, anybody with a bit of basic education will laugh at comparisons using e.g. Iceland, a country with less inhabitants than an average London suburb, a country that only a few years was bankrupt, defaulting on its debt and cheating (mainly British) private investors out of their savings.

out of proportion applies also adding Norway to the equation. a country with 5 million inhabitants but rich in commodities or Switzerland who's clever politicians managed to outsmart the clowns in Brussels by enjoying all EU goodies without paying for them.

I can agree with you on the anti Muslim. So why do you favour staying in a "club" that keeps letting them in?

75 million turks just waiting on the staring line.

What was it Erdogan said. " the conquest is Hijrah". All part of his strategy for Islamising Europe. Awesome, I can't wait for that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk whilst drinking a cold beer

We need to call a halt to spouting known falsehoods. We have been trying to keep Turkey on board for decades for strategic reasons. But they have ZERO chance of joining the EU for a VERY long time. Even the current idea of giving access to Shengen areas does not affect UK. Erdogan is pushing joining even further back.

So which EU Muslims are you referring to? Are you stuck on the asylum seeker / refugee / economic migrant issue? You should know that I support letting properly screened REFUGEES in for TEMPORARY refuge. ( we should have supported Erdogan's plan for no fly safe zones in northern Syria and Iraq)

What falsehood?

So you pick and choose the anti muslim?

75M Turks? Were you not suggesting that they might get to join the EU? Why else would you mention it?

For me, letting in Pakistani mothers and their sisters and their cousins and their aunts is the issue (to paraphrase Gillbert and Sullivan)

Yes I was, I believe that eventually they will be allowed to join, so why do you want to be a member of a 'Club' that going to let them in?

So you're not really anti muslim then, you are a when it suits you person?

As for 75 million I haven't counted them this week, I am just going on numbers banded about...there might be 74.5 million

It's not about the exact number it's about the likelihood that Turkey will ever get in. I think at least 50 or 100 years or never! People seem to take diplomatic subtleties seriously. We needed Turkey to help stem the flow. Not a good idea to tell them they would never be welcome!

You would make a good politician as they never answer the questions cheesy.gif

I think we could do with Grouse in France. That's if he can dribble a ball as good as he can dribble around a question.

post-78707-0-04945600-1465483018_thumb.j

why rubbish?

Ridiculous like most of the article in question

Switzerland and Norway successful because of not being in EU. Utter nonsense!

You silly Brexiteers would carry more weight if you were even slightly reasonable

As it is, you're becoming a laughing stock

Why so anti German? A bit of an inferiority complex coming through? Prosit!

Not anti German at all.i just think it's relevant to know the nationality of those who post on the British issue.

You call us silly Brexiteers,well here's another to add to the list.

post-78707-0-63405400-1465483968_thumb.j

When I first came to Thailand on business some 28yrs ago,the exchange rate was 37baht to the pound,if I recall correctly at one stage it went down to 34. I was also here in the late 90's when for a short period I received 97 bht to the pound. Even 8 yrs ago the exchange rate was 67bht. Then 3yrs ago the rate was approximately 46.So what is baffling me now is how you can state that 1 yr ago you were working on 54.67, yet my records tell me the then rate was 51bht to the pound,nearly the same as to day.

Friday 31 July 2015, GBP/THB Bid Rate was 54.67 that's about a year ago and close enough for the point I was making at the time - my book keeping files run from July to June hence I don't have June's number thus I used July.

Two past UK PM's representing circa fourteen years of UK government, one past US President representing circa 250 million people for eight years plus one future US President.

Doubtful and dubious characters! Right!!!

Is that the best defence you can muster for the 3 gentlemen?

Tony Blair will be remembered for supporting GW Bush's actions in going into Iraq, using extremely suspect justifications (lies).

Look at the subsequent condition of the Iraq aftermath. The world is still picking up the pieces.

Clinton will be remembered for his womanising and the Monica Lewinsky scandal, his subsequent lies and deceit.

Are these good role models for you?

Concerning Bill, I'm reminded of Mel Brookes History of the world part II quote: " it's good to be the King"! Now call me amoral, but if I was in that position and a pretty intern offered some gentle relaxation? Ok, I'm amoral, you win!

Tony obviously got it wrong over Iraq. But was he misled by American Neocons like Bush and Cheney?

John Major? Dull but honourable.

Do you respect anybody? Farage maybe?

Such spin! Do you actually believe any of the words that you have written? You have out-Campbelled Campbell!

Not only was Clinton paying for some extra-marital dalliances, but he pursued women in a most egregious fashion.

Today he would be called a stalker. And you really are a chauvinist. Why would a young and callow naïf like Lewinsky

be offering Clinton anything? If your "amorality" (your word choice) puts you in the same category and league as

Bill Clinton, I would be too ashamed to admit it.

And the lauded (by Chiang Mai) ex-British Prime Minister Tony Blair was misled? You think he was politically naïve?

Got into bed with the wrong crowd? Those scheming double-dealing Americans? Bathos at its best.

Best you don't pass any more comments on this particular topic, I think; you are not doing yourself any favours.

"And the lauded (by Chiang Mai) ex-British Prime Minister Tony Blair" - talking of spin!!!

"Britain is the world’s most vulnerable state on a key measure of short-term debt and credit markets might suddenly seize up if voters opt for Brexit, Standard & Poor’s has warned. The US credit rating agency is crystal clear that Britain will be stripped of its coveted AAA status immediately and may face a double-barrelled downgrade if the country takes a leap in dark, jeopardizing its trading and financial ties to its biggest market.“We are categorical about this,” said Moritz Kraemer, the agency’s head of sovereign ratings".

"the British financial system is extremely dependent on external financing. This is the Achilles Heel for an economy that relies so heavily on the City of London, and has a current account deficit above 5pc of GDP – the highest in Britain’s peace-time history. The level of debt coming due over the next 12 months is 755pc of the country’s external receipts, the highest for all 131 sovereign states rated by S&P. This compares to 318pc for the US and 316pc for France, the next two states most exposed".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/06/09/brexit-might-trigger-run-on-britains-record-financial-debts-sp-w/

I started to highlight the important parts and then realised there are so many key phrases in it that it's all important - folks should read the above slowly, twice.

"Britain is the worlds most vulnerable state on a key measure of short-term debt and credit markets might suddenly seize up if voters opt for Brexit, Standard & Poors has warned. The US credit rating agency is crystal clear that Britain will be stripped of its coveted AAA status immediately and may face a double-barrelled downgrade if the country takes a leap in dark, jeopardizing its trading and financial ties to its biggest market.We are categorical about this, said Moritz Kraemer, the agencys head of sovereign ratings".

"the British financial system is extremely dependent on external financing. This is the Achilles Heel for an economy that relies so heavily on the City of London, and has a current account deficit above 5pc of GDP the highest in Britains peace-time history. The level of debt coming due over the next 12 months is 755pc of the countrys external receipts, the highest for all 131 sovereign states rated by S&P. This compares to 318pc for the US and 316pc for France, the next two states most exposed".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/06/09/brexit-might-trigger-run-on-britains-record-financial-debts-sp-w/

I started to highlight the important parts and then realised there are so many key phrases in it that it's all important - folks should read the above slowly, twice.

Now that is seriously worrying! That's got to be the decider. The situation is just too dangerous to mess about.

Friday 31 July 2015, GBP/THB Bid Rate was 54.67 that's about a year ago and close enough for the point I was making at the time - my book keeping files run from July to June hence I don't have June's number thus I used July.

relax gentlemen, you are both right smile.png

post-35218-0-82071500-1465521561_thumb.j

post-35218-0-19543200-1465521578_thumb.j

Muslim community's integrate,? Well I never,I must have lived in the wrong town

They don't. Which is one of the reasons I'm anti-Muslim. I think it's number 27 on my list [emoji846]
I can agree with you on the anti Muslim. So why do you favour staying in a "club" that keeps letting them in?

What was it Erdogan said. " the conquest is Hijrah". All part of his strategy for Islamising Europe. Awesome, I can't wait for that

We need to call a halt to spouting known falsehoods. We have been trying to keep Turkey on board for decades for strategic reasons. But they have ZERO chance of joining the EU for a VERY long time. Even the current idea of giving access to Shengen areas does not affect UK. Erdogan is pushing joining even further back.

So which EU Muslims are you referring to? Are you stuck on the asylum seeker / refugee / economic migrant issue? You should know that I support letting properly screened REFUGEES in for TEMPORARY refuge. ( we should have supported Erdogan's plan for no fly safe zones in northern Syria and Iraq)

What falsehood?

75M Turks? Were you not suggesting that they might get to join the EU? Why else would you mention it?

For me, letting in Pakistani mothers and their sisters and their cousins and their aunts is the issue (to paraphrase Gillbert and Sullivan)

HMS Pinafore since you ask

You can't answer can you? I am not searching riddles or whatever rubbish it is by G&S. Different when you are trying to out do others though by getting on about the lack of education

Sorry Caps, I don't understand

1) I have no problem with free movement of labour, particularly with the new regulations

2) I do not want see more Muslims

3) But I have no problem with offering temporary refuge when needed

4) I don't see EU migrants contributing to my Muslim issue

5) I think Turkey is a red herring. Scaremongering

So, what's up?

Sorry if the quote from G&Ss HMS Pinafore confused. ?

Sorry had other things to get on with

I asked you why you wanted to be a member of the EU when they are letting in more Muslims? Refugees/Migrants/Turks. As you say you are anti muslim.

I take is you didn't agree with my previous point on Erdogan? The EU migrants contributing to your muslim issue is going to happen when the turks get in, I hope and prey they don't, but time will tell

They don't. Which is one of the reasons I'm anti-Muslim. I think it's number 27 on my list [emoji846]

What falsehood?

You can't answer can you? I am not searching riddles or whatever rubbish it is by G&S. Different when you are trying to out do others though by getting on about the lack of education

1) I have no problem with free movement of labour, particularly with the new regulations

So, what's up?

I asked you why you wanted to be a member of the EU when they are letting in more Muslims? Refugees/Migrants/Turks. As you say you are anti muslim.

I take is you didn't agree with my previous point on Erdogan? The EU migrants contributing to your muslim issue is going to happen when the turks get in, I hope and prey they don't, but time will tell

He'll probably come back and tell us, that Turkey will Never get membership,as Cameron has correctly pointed out it is subject to a veto. The only problem I see with that is, the veto needs to be used,and will it always be.

post-78707-0-58812100-1465525025_thumb.j

What falsehood?

So, what's up?

Turkey will not get in during my life time

Maybe 50 years

But it is certainly not a rational reason to leave the EU

"Britain is the worlds most vulnerable state on a key measure of short-term debt and credit markets might suddenly seize up if voters opt for Brexit, Standard & Poors has warned. The US credit rating agency is crystal clear that Britain will be stripped of its coveted AAA status immediately and may face a double-barrelled downgrade if the country takes a leap in dark, jeopardizing its trading and financial ties to its biggest market.We are categorical about this, said Moritz Kraemer, the agencys head of sovereign ratings".

"the British financial system is extremely dependent on external financing. This is the Achilles Heel for an economy that relies so heavily on the City of London, and has a current account deficit above 5pc of GDP the highest in Britains peace-time history. The level of debt coming due over the next 12 months is 755pc of the countrys external receipts, the highest for all 131 sovereign states rated by S&P. This compares to 318pc for the US and 316pc for France, the next two states most exposed".

Now that is seriously worrying! That's got to be the decider. The situation is just too dangerous to mess about.

While I am more remain than leave (probably 60/40) I find it deeply frustrating that our country is being strong-armed by market makers with vested interests. Are we destined forever to be a timid people, scared of bold moves lest we upset the speculators?

"Britain is the world’s most vulnerable state on a key measure of short-term debt and credit markets might suddenly seize up if voters opt for Brexit, Standard & Poor’s has warned. The US credit rating agency is crystal clear that Britain will be stripped of its coveted AAA status immediately and may face a double-barrelled downgrade if the country takes a leap in dark, jeopardizing its trading and financial ties to its biggest market.“We are categorical about this,” said Moritz Kraemer, the agency’s head of sovereign ratings".

"the British financial system is extremely dependent on external financing. This is the Achilles Heel for an economy that relies so heavily on the City of London, and has a current account deficit above 5pc of GDP – the highest in Britain’s peace-time history. The level of debt coming due over the next 12 months is 755pc of the country’s external receipts, the highest for all 131 sovereign states rated by S&P. This compares to 318pc for the US and 316pc for France, the next two states most exposed".

I was never a believer in the NWO conspiracy theory, slowly I am starting to believe.

Anybody see Boris getting handbagged by the ladies on the ITV referendum debate? Great fun! Publically debagged and humiliated.

Made me laugh. Can't see him EVER making PM whatever happens

cheesy.gif Yep can agree there

I was never a believer in the NWO conspiracy theory, slowly I am starting to believe.

An educated person might be able to deduce that if their political position led them on a slide (slow or otherwise) towards conspiracy theories, then there was something fundamentally wrong with their political position and change that rather than rolling on their back and wagging their paws in the air.

It's nothing to do with the NWO hogwash of course, it's all about paying the piper. I've been harping on about debt and deficit for years yet few seemed to think anything was wrong, if the US can run such a huge deficit then why can't we is what people said. Every month we run a deficit the debt gets accumulated and we have to borrow more, that debt has to be serviced and repaid, that's what the 755% is all about. So when the Chancellor makes cuts to services and benefits and people complain that's nothing more than a reflection of them living a champagne lifestyle on a beer budget, credit cards all maxed out. Successive labour governments are mostly to blame for all of this and now that piper has got one hefty bill that must be paid and it's going to be ugly.

While I am more remain than leave (probably 60/40) I find it deeply frustrating that our country is being strong-armed by market makers with vested interests. Are we destined forever to be a timid people, scared of bold moves lest we upset the speculators?

How did we get into such an exposed position? We were not the only country derailed by the 2008 crisis! Chiang Mai? Any comment?

How did we get into such an exposed position? We were not the only country derailed by the 2008 crisis! Chiang Mai? Any comment?

You can dress it up by saying the cause was:

• "2008-13 recession (lower tax receipts, higher spending on unemployment benefits) The recession particularly hit stamp duty (falling house prices) income tax and lower corporation tax.
  • These cyclical factors have also exposed an underlying structural deficit. (deficit caused by spending greater than tax, ignoring cyclical factors)
  • Financial bailout of Northern Rock, RBS, Lloyds and other banks.
  • From 2011-2015, the pace of increase in the public sector debt has slowed due to the government attempts to reduce the budget deficit. The government has announced strict spending limits".
  • http://www.economicshelp.org/blog/334/uk-economy/uk-national-debt/

Or you can simply say, labour's mismanagement of the public purse.

An educated person might be able to deduce that if their political position led them on a slide (slow or otherwise) towards conspiracy theories, then there was something fundamentally wrong with their political position and change that rather than rolling on their back and wagging their paws in the air.

I am always open to points of view that may differ from my own and will either take onboard or reject them after analysing them as best I can, can you say sas much?

The Telegraph piece is another example where the Remain camp seize on negative news and highlight only that,

in order to try to gain advantage in this debate. In this instance, Chiang Mai has "cherry-picked" the alarming stuff

to support the contention that Britain will face calamity if it leaves the EU.

In fact, the article itself is reasonably balanced, which a thorough reading of it reveals. Not only does Standard & Poors

use words like "may", "might", and "potentially", which the Remain contingent also frequently use in order to equivocate

all of their doom-laden comments, but it also says the following:

(Note: I have redacted the equivocating comments linked to the quotes below).

"Much of this short-term debt is owed by banks operating in the City, some of them American, Japanese,

European, or Mid-East institutions. In theory, the liabilities are matched by assets and therefore simply

net out’ if stress forces banks to shrink their operations

“If there is no currency and maturity mismatch, then there is no big issue.

(Mr Kraemer) said any storm is likely to blow over"

It would seem to me that providing the negotiated terms of Brexit between the British government and the

EU Commission were kept professional and cordial, and if one reads the remainder of the Telegraph piece it

would seem that the EU has every reason not to rock the boat, then the transition will be an orderly one, and

without crisis.

Archived