New Brexit polls suggest shift in favour of leaving the EU

webfact

Only for Brits with Brain:

image-1006519-panoV9free-oyaa-1006519.jpic_lupe.png

Brexit

It's rare to see historic moments coming, because it's impossible to know how history will change and what course it will run. But sometimes you do see it. Sometimes you know something is about to happen that has the potential to change our world.

If Britain is clever, it will remain a member of the EU, because it will recognise that the future of the west is at stake.

This vote is about preserving Europe's competitiveness in times of change and struggle between world powers. It's about nothing less than the future of the peace project started in 1946 by erstwhile enemy nations on a devastated continent, ("Let Europe arise!" as Churchill put it). It is a project that has unified western Europe for seven decades.

The words are becoming increasingly heated. EU opponents are comparing Brussels to Hitler and producing dangerously false statistics, while the dominant tone among EU supporters is pathos. For once, the latter is justified, because fundamental principles are at stake.

Britain is a bridge between Europe and the US. If Britain leaves the EU on this side of the Atlantic while Donald Trump becomes president on the other, then seemingly permanent alliances will wobble, and a weakened Europe would end up alone, helpless amid myriad global crises.

If the right-wing populists grow stronger, because Europe suddenly weakens and shrinks just as they are on the rise, what will remain of the ideal of tolerant and progressive cooperation that defines the west?

So if Britain is clever, it will realise that it is not a world power on its own, that it will lose much with a yes to Brexit on June 23, and gain nothing but a brief moment of pride.

If it votes to leave because a disproportionately high proportion of older and less well-educated British want it so passionately, Germany and the rest of Europe will have to accept that today's EU is dysfunctional and unattractive. The EU should then mourn the loss of departed Britain and learn from it, and it should cease giving humiliating gifts to those who have left and develop some resolution.

Or else, hopefully, it will be the other way round: Should the British vote against Brexit, perhaps by 55% or 60% rather than 50.1%, then that would be a mandate. Then the British should stop doing the things that have irritated the rest of Europe for years: special requests, self-pity and wretched haggling over every last detail.

The day after the vote, the British should understand that they themselves helped create this detested Europe that they were so close to leaving, and start building a better one.

In many of your post on different TV threads, you have been very critical of the British. I have noticed that numerous posters have picked you up on this. Yet you still keep on.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chiang mai - one of those things.

You think I'm not the 'sharpest tool in the drawer' (or words to that effect), and I think you're only posting to support your desired outcome.

We can both have no respect for each other smile.png ,

I have no view about whether you are or aren't those things, I have never sought to form an opinion nor found the need to determine what you are or are not intellectually, the notion has never crossed my mind. But I do have related views of others.

As for my desired outcome: genuinely came here looking for input, got accused of being biased, formed a view that Remain arguments make sense, decided Brexit had no substantial argument other than nostalgia and they have no economics case, raised unresponsive challenges to the financial case so gave up. Have voted already in favour of Remain, continue to try to understand if I might be wrong and why but am only met with no valid argument, fabrication of fact, word games and baiting/flame. It's going to be tough to try and make me change my views on the voting.

And yet you 'liked' a post saying that Womollollee and I were not the sharpest knives in the drawer - and yes, I realise that I have mis-spelled the other poster's name.

But its good news, as I now feel the same way about you. and am encouraged to dispute your views.

The Pound is down about 4 cents since Tuesday of this week and markets are now closed for the weekend, 4 cents in a week is a lot. Because the Thai banks are closed we wont know until Monday what GBP/THB looks like other than via Reuters which is not representative, the problem will be that this is just the start, potentially. Several million UK expat pensioners and their families just got very nervous whilst casual tourists couldn't care a jot!

All currency exchange rates fluctuate, Thaiwaine, it is the nature of the beast. A better gauge is to compare closing prices over a desired period.

My reading of the currency charts is not the same as Chiang Mai's. The pound is down less than 3c against the USD since Tuesday. However, it is down

less than 2c in the past month, and less than 1c in the last three months. One swallow does not make a summer. So we "headlined" that the pound

dropped yesterday, and Brexit must be the issue!

Let me try to put things into a better perspective, especially for those who appear to subscribe to "Project Fear".

Yesterday, the pound closed weaker against the US Dollar. So did the Euro! So did the Aussie Dollar, among many others!

What is noteworthy, and will have some kind of correlation, is a review of the metrics of the important stock exchanges, at their close.

DOW (US) Down 0.67%

NASDAQ (US) Down 1.29%

FTSE (UK) Down 1.86% EU

CAC 40 (French) Down 2.24% EU

DAX (Germany) Down 2.52% EU

It would seem that their was more confidence in the British (UK) economy yesterday that in the two other major EU economies!

For further perspective, EVERY stock market in the world was down yesterday, except for Colombo (Sri Lanka) and Tehran (Persia).

I would reiterate what I have said many times before when it comes to currency exchange rate movements. They will always fluctuate and

can indeed be moved by an impactful event, but they tend to settle down, often much more quickly than the lay person would understand.

As proof of this I would point to the United States' Non-Farm Payroll metrics, released on the first Friday of each month. Around 30 minutes

before, during, and about 30 minutes after these figures are released , the markets go wild - not only currency markets, but, for example,

hard commodities' markets. Prior and subsequent to the durations I have mentioned above, the markets are extremely settled.

One month two month or three months is not really relevant, typically in Forex the 180 Moving Average (MA) is what best determines trend. Using the 180 day MA sees the pair start at 1.51 in December and finish at 1.42 today.

The Moving Average is a lagging indicator.

It does not "determine" trend, it follows and reflects THE AVERAGE of what has gone before.

It is in no way relevant to this discussion, and I am not sure why you have introduced it. Go back to Google, please, and find something

which is more apt to the post.

"It" does not determine trend, but trend is best determined by "it"!

And yes "it" is central to this discussion in that it is the falling value of "it" that is what's driving much of the Remain argument.

And I'm OK about you joining wooloo on my ignore list unless you can cease these banal and irrelevant challenges and post more respectfully.

Fair play to Chiang Mai. He always stands his ground if nothing else.

In fact, he could argue for England. We need Chiang Mai on the Brexit side.

We don't. Anybody that 'likes' posts saying that other posters are 'not the sharpest knife in the drawer' when they have only put forward their valid opinions - needs to be reminded of this again an again by pulling him up on every post.

Cameron and his fellow remain group are just simple repeating their divide and conquere strategy, the same as when they set out to divide the north from the south. Now it's a case of the young v the old. Or the so called educated v the unwashed.

One month two month or three months is not really relevant, typically in Forex the 180 Moving Average (MA) is what best determines trend. Using the 180 day MA sees the pair start at 1.51 in December and finish at 1.42 today.

Yes, let's select a period you'd prefer.

180 days, (6 months). 1.51 to 1.42, approx.

Chiang mai - one of those things.

You think I'm not the 'sharpest tool in the drawer' (or words to that effect), and I think you're only posting to support your desired outcome.

We can both have no respect for each other smile.png ,

I have no view about whether you are or aren't those things, I have never sought to form an opinion nor found the need to determine what you are or are not intellectually, the notion has never crossed my mind. But I do have related views of others.

As for my desired outcome: genuinely came here looking for input, got accused of being biased, formed a view that Remain arguments make sense, decided Brexit had no substantial argument other than nostalgia and they have no economics case, raised unresponsive challenges to the financial case so gave up. Have voted already in favour of Remain, continue to try to understand if I might be wrong and why but am only met with no valid argument, fabrication of fact, word games and baiting/flame. It's going to be tough to try and make me change my views on the voting.

And yet you 'liked' a post saying that Womollollee and I were not the sharpest knives in the drawer - and yes, I realise that I have mis-spelled the other poster's name.

But its good news, as I now feel the same way about you. and am encouraged to dispute your views.

Without seeing the post (I did look but gave up) but I can't be precise, almost certainly my "like" of the post wasn't focussed at you.

So cool, let's move forward without the need for all the other unnecessary stuff (albeit my dinner is ready smile.png ).

Chiang mai - Posting more respectfully!? As in 'liking' a post that said pretty much nothing other than the posters who pointed out the shortcomings in his 'argument' were stupid???

Edit - as you're unable to find it (even thought it was only a couple of hours ago), I'm quoting the post you 'liked'. Strangely, I found it without any trouble.

"Well, it didn't take long to determine that you and Dasterdly aren't among the sharpest tools in the shed. Both not comprehending what I wrote. Too bad the three of us aren't sitting in a bar right now and I could explain it to you slowly. No time - or interest - to hold your hands and walk you through it now though."

If we leave an excellent summary of what might happen. The modern world is a complicated and interconnected machine - handle with care.

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v38/n12/francis-fitzgibbon/if-we-leave

qoute

"Exit negotiations, the remaking of agreements with the EU and other countries, and re-enacting or scrapping EU regulations will divert our shrunken civil service from its main duties for years."

Yes, let's select a period you'd prefer.

180 days, (6 months). 1.51 to 1.42, approx.

Once again you are citing Moving Averages.

From YOUR earlier post, you stated: the 180 Moving Average (MA) is what best determines trend! You cannot

in any way duck that remark.

It is clear from your comments today, and previous ones, that you have never traded currencies (or, I guess, commodities, either).

Moving averages DO NOT, as you also stated earlier, and to compound your earlier mistake, IN ANY WAY, "determine trend".

I don't for one minute buy into your argument that much of the remain camp are swayed by Moving Averags in currency markets.

That comment is nonsensical.

And, lastly, if your damaged ego is soothed by now putting me on your ignore list, I can live with that. If you can't stand the heat,

get out of the kitchen.

Chiang mai - Posting more respectfully!? As in 'liking' a post that said pretty much nothing other than the posters who pointed out the shortcomings in his 'argument' were stupid???

Edit - as you're unable to find it (even thought it was only a couple of hours ago), I'm quoting the post you 'liked'. Strangely, I found it without any trouble.

"Well, it didn't take long to determine that you and Dasterdly aren't among the sharpest tools in the shed. Both not comprehending what I wrote. Too bad the three of us aren't sitting in a bar right now and I could explain it to you slowly. No time - or interest - to hold your hands and walk you through it now though."

Not that it matters I suppose, we're used to the 'those who disagree with me are stupid' argument.

Edit - no doubt I'm on Chiang mai's ignore list now. I'm trying to care...

And I'm OK about you joining wooloo on my ignore list unless you can cease these banal and irrelevant challenges and post more respectfully.

A very weak argument there, chiang mai.

Have a read through the last few hours of posts and highlight where I have been disrespectful.

You stated that it was Team Brexit's fault as to the current volatility of sterling and I politely requested a reason as to why. You hit and run with your statement but wouldn't afford me the courtesy of a response. What was so disrespectful?

You further stated that I was baiting/flaming you. I notice the moderators have not deleted our posts or banned me. Speaks volumes, doesn't it?

Brexit

It's rare to see historic moments coming, because it's impossible to know how history will change and what course it will run. But sometimes you do see it. Sometimes you know something is about to happen that has the potential to change our world.

If Britain is clever, it will remain a member of the EU, because it will recognise that the future of the west is at stake.

This vote is about preserving Europe's competitiveness in times of change and struggle between world powers. It's about nothing less than the future of the peace project started in 1946 by erstwhile enemy nations on a devastated continent, ("Let Europe arise!" as Churchill put it). It is a project that has unified western Europe for seven decades.

The words are becoming increasingly heated. EU opponents are comparing Brussels to Hitler and producing dangerously false statistics, while the dominant tone among EU supporters is pathos. For once, the latter is justified, because fundamental principles are at stake.

Britain is a bridge between Europe and the US. If Britain leaves the EU on this side of the Atlantic while Donald Trump becomes president on the other, then seemingly permanent alliances will wobble, and a weakened Europe would end up alone, helpless amid myriad global crises.

If the right-wing populists grow stronger, because Europe suddenly weakens and shrinks just as they are on the rise, what will remain of the ideal of tolerant and progressive cooperation that defines the west?

So if Britain is clever, it will realise that it is not a world power on its own, that it will lose much with a yes to Brexit on June 23, and gain nothing but a brief moment of pride.

If it votes to leave because a disproportionately high proportion of older and less well-educated British want it so passionately, Germany and the rest of Europe will have to accept that today's EU is dysfunctional and unattractive. The EU should then mourn the loss of departed Britain and learn from it, and it should cease giving humiliating gifts to those who have left and develop some resolution.

Or else, hopefully, it will be the other way round: Should the British vote against Brexit, perhaps by 55% or 60% rather than 50.1%, then that would be a mandate. Then the British should stop doing the things that have irritated the rest of Europe for years: special requests, self-pity and wretched haggling over every last detail.

The day after the vote, the British should understand that they themselves helped create this detested Europe that they were so close to leaving, and start building a better one.

Nicely put. Well reasoned. It will be discarded by most here but thanks anyway ?

Brexit

Another poster arguing that only the stupid and uneducated would vote to leave sad.png .

Are most Brits that insecure that they fall for this line of argument?

No! Of course not!

Most are uneducated, are uniformed and don't understand the consequences! ?

For me this is the best statement I´ve read since Cam announced the referendum. Sums the whole discussion up nicely!

Brexit

Another poster arguing that only the stupid and uneducated would vote to leave sad.png .

No! Of course not!

But some are educated and informed but still choose to go down a different path and suffer some of the consequences that might not be at bad as people are making out. Time will tell

But I am sure you will be fine looking down on us uneducated and uninformed people from that ivory tower you are sat in.

Just because people don't agree with you doesn't make them uneducated or uniformed

For me this is the best statement I´ve read since Cam announced the referendum. Sums the whole discussion up nicely!

pssst, I for one Brit am not intrested in world power, been there done that, and I think we will gain much in a vote for Brexit.

Eddie Izzard turns up on national television dressed like a camp Frank Spencer and expects people to take him seriously...

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1465635001.680391.jpg

Eddie Izzard's stand-up routine is great. But he didn't do Remain any favours here.

To be honest, while I've already voted, both campaigns have been dishonest and shambolic.

The great irony is that Izzard's been 'out' for years! :)

The leave camp could make a mockery of his appearance on QT in full 'Captain Sensible' rig by dubbing the clip to his (Capt Sensible's) 'Wot!'

No! Of course not!

But some are educated and informed but still choose to go down a different path and suffer some of the consequences that might not be at bad as people are making out. Time will tell

But I am sure you will be fine looking down on us uneducated and uninformed people from that ivory tower you are sat in.

Just because people don't agree with you doesn't make them uneducated or uniformed

Most Brexiteers in this thread don't have the capability to understand all the issues, they can't process all the data to build a picture of their own so they join the Buccaneering camp by default because it's revolutionary, a bit like me having a poster of Che Guavera on my bedroom was when I was a teenager, it was romantic. I read a blog the other day that was just great, it ended with the words, "forget the dentist, the sweet shop is open", it sums up many Brexiteers almost perfectly.

No! Of course not!

Most Brexiteers in this thread don't have the capability to understand all the issues, they can't process all the data to build a picture of their own so they join the Buccaneering camp by default because it's revolutionary, a bit like me having a poster of Che Guavera on my bedroom was when I was a teenager, it was romantic. I read a blog the other day that was just great, it ended with the words, "forget the dentist, the sweet shop is open", it sums up many Brexiteers almost perfectly.

But you could say the same for the Remainians on some points, I am not saying its perfect, far from it and thats both sides of the fence!

Brexit

No! Of course not!

I was actually being facicious. But some are indeed uniformed and uneducated and don't understand. Basta.

Now, this has been a useful debate but please calm down. Chiang Mai HAS provided some very useful insights.

I have been in the British Club today, and spoke with the new Ambassador. Very bright chap!

At our table of 12 there was only one Brexit supporter, who, after being accused of being a bigot, left!

I think the polls are a bit dodgy. The odds are not much changed

Now, if you will excuse me, I'll have another Famous Grouse at the Churchill Bar! Cheers!

Incidentally, the ivory tower "I am sat in" is quite comfy!

I don't think world power ever entered the debate.

Autonomy and points based immigration are top of the bill, though.

No! Of course not!

I was actually being facicious. But some are indeed uniformed and uneducated and don't understand. Basta.

Now, this has been a useful debate but please calm down. Chiang Mai HAS provided some very useful insights.

I have been in the British Club today, and spoke with the new Ambassador. Very bright chap!

At our table of 12 there was only one Brexit supporter, who, after being accused of being a bigot, left!

I think the polls are a bit dodgy. The odds are not much changed

Now, if you will excuse me, I'll have another Famous Grouse at the Churchill Bar! Cheers!

Incidentally, the ivory tower "I am sat in" is quite comfy!

Basta.....That would depend if it is reciprocated

Being bright doesn't make you any better than the next guy....I have experience of it

Enjoy the Grouse, prefer a Single Malt myself

No! Of course not!

But you could say the same for the Remainians on some points, I am not saying its perfect, far from it and thats both sides of the fence!

Whilst I do agree about it being on both sides, it's a waste of time perhaps to try and remind that the vast majority of reported news on this subject has come from the Remain side whilst almost non has come from the Brexit side. I've posted over 20 news articles from respected sources and all have been met with silly if not stupid replies, many of them from people who haven't even opened the links, let alone understood the content.

No I'm sorry, whilst there are shortcomings in both groups there's a glaring intellectual and informational shortfall in the Brexit Team, astonishingly so.

The leave camp could make a mockery of his appearance on QT in full 'Captain Sensible' rig by dubbing the clip to his (Capt Sensible's) 'Wot!'

One of my earliest memories was of my late mother singing Happy Talk to me. A bit before Captain Sensible, but was glad to hear him sing it on TOTP. My mum had already gone by then. Good days.

And a good day it will be when we unshackle ourselves from the EU. Less than two weeks to independence day. More good days to come.

No! Of course not!

You do seem to have some understanding on financial issues (more than me) I find it hard to believe anyone can understand all the issues involved with Brexit to a sufficient degree to make an informed choice.

The politicians on both sides are unwilling to give full unbiased facts, which means you have to do all your own reserch as others have biased opinions, to fully reserch all the potential future issues involved in remain or leave IMO is beyond reason.

Most Brexiteers in this thread don't have the capability to understand all the issues, they can't process all the data to build a picture of their own so they join the Buccaneering camp by default because it's revolutionary, a bit like me having a poster of Che Guavera on my bedroom was when I was a teenager, it was romantic.

Don't challenge this statement whatever you do. Jeez. The UK is bordering on Brexit so not worth the trouble.

Sadly in the last day or so we are seeing the loutish behavior of those that make you ashamed to be British and will delight those who wish to see the back of us.

Between clashes with the police, fans sang: “<deleted> off Europe, we’re all voting out.” They also sang anti-IRA and anti-German songs before singing: “Sit down if you hate the French.”

Archived