Tips.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a general rule, if you leave a tip in the dish/bill folder or whatever, it will almost certainly go into the collective box (or management pocket). If you want to leave a tip to a specific person, give it to then in their hand, then it is theirs.

Presumably you are referring to "service charge" that is sometimes included in the cost.

"Tips" are usually given direct to the server, its a matter of personal choice and of course the level of service as to whether you do or dont.

It depends where you are as to the tips going into a pot and divided among the staff, some do, some don't.

I have always based tips on the service provided and how much has been spent. Anything from 20 baht to a couple of hundred. They are voluntary, no definite price scale.

On the other hand i have also provided free tips of "get a job you like" on a couple of occasions........................wink.png

Tipping is not an Asian trait, don't do it. If you see a Thai doing it, they are showing off! [emoji39]

Seriously, as said, if it's already on there (smart rest/hotel) but you're impressed with the service, bung it in their hand. 10%ish.

The service charge goes to the owner who normally uses it towards staff wages.

If the tip is left with the bill folder or on table then it normally goes into collective box to be divided between staff and usually the management takes a cut of up to 20%.

I prefer to tip the staff directly but sometimes they put this in the the collective box.

I once asked staff about what happened to the service charge and tips & was told that some customers before ordering state that they would not be paying the service charge and the manager waives it.

If the tip is left with the bill folder or on table then it normally goes into collective box to be divided between staff and usually the management takes a cut of up to 20%.

I prefer to tip the staff directly but sometimes they put this in the the collective box.

I once asked staff about what happened to the service charge and tips & was told that some customers before ordering state that they would not be paying the service charge and the manager waives it.

Service charges in a larger establishments like a 5 star hotel for example will often be divided between all of the staff who work there. It's paid in addition to their salary on a monthly basis. We're talking about large chain type hotels here. Everything has the ++ type of system where there's a 10% service charge + VAT.

From what I've heard everyone gets their share from the managers right down to the cleaners.

Yes Charlie I am referring to the service charge.

I always give a direct tip to the person serving us and maybe a small amount on the bill.

So the service charge mostly goes to management or is it divided up in most cases?

In a reputable joint the service charge does not go to the owner. It is collected by the establishment, and is shared pro rata among staff in addition to their wages (and any tips). In good hotels, during the high season the service charge can amount to several times the salary of low paid staff.

Some places do take a cut out of the service charge, ostensibly to use for various staff related expenses, which is unethical and probably illegal.

In restaurants and bars in Thailand, tips left on the tray or in the folder go into the collective tip box to be shared by staff. Again, it is unethical and probably illegal for management to take a cut; it certainly is illegal in many other countries.

A tip handed directly to a member of staff (tip meu) is generally kept by the person it is given to, though a few places have a policy that it should go into the box to be shared.

There are no real guidelines to tipping in Thailand; unlike in some countries it is not expected, but it is appreciated.

When people do tip it is often just the coins in the change, maybe along with a green note or two; sometimes a little or a lot more.

Really it is up to you, who gets the tip, and how much.

Tipping in Thailand is totally up to you. Thais don't expect it, and they'rs very pleased when they get it. Some Hi-SOs tip, cos it's a habit they learned abroad, and tbey think it makes tbem look sophisticated.

Tipping in Thailand is totally up to you. Thais don't expect it, and they'rs very pleased when they get it. Some Hi-SOs tip, cos it's a habit they learned abroad, and tbey think it makes tbem look sophisticated.

true but in tourists spot, thai expect a tips from the gullible farang even if the service was bad. They think we(farang) are completely fool.

My thai friend (middle class and upper) never tip, and they are quite sophisticated, and they expect a perfect service....

and let me add i never tip either...

Edited by Bender

Service charges in a larger establishments like a 5 star hotel for example will often be divided between all of the staff who work there. It's paid in addition to their salary on a monthly basis. We're talking about large chain type hotels here. Everything has the ++ type of system where there's a 10% service charge + VAT.

From what I've heard everyone gets their share from the managers right down to the cleaners.

Yes the service charge is calculated and divided equally between all staff including the non operation departments such as finance, HR etc. Every hotel I ever worked for in LOS posted the monthly service charge on the staff notice board and had a guaranteed minimum service charge every month. One of the major considerations when staff applied for a job in a hotel was how much was the service charge. Edited by mca

Tipping????????? no. the service usually isnt good theyre there to do a job, Ive asked for no ice in drinks to be served a glass full of ice twice by the same person then refiled with yet more ice, wrong food occurs fairly often also .....Miaow nam kang is understood but forgotten instantly.

I also dont agree with the tips being split between staff giving the lazy/poor no more reason to work properly a bit like the family member who always wants money off others but does nothing in return..

I think I got one tip in about 25 years in my job.

Continuing from the previous comments about service charge in hotels, the 10% is divided to all fulltime staff in the hotel equally--there are usually a lot if you consider the gardeners, housekeepers, technicians, stewards, security and so on.

Anything left on top of the included 10% at a restaurant in a hotel is then usually divided amongst the staff in that restaurant only. How it is divided depends on the management of each venue (e.g, paid out daily, weekly, or monthly; to include kitchen staff or not; how much to the host and bartender, etc)

If service is good, I usually tip an additional 10% at a western style or fancier restaurants. For lower end Thai restaurants I just round the bill up if service charge is already included.

If service was lacking, then no tip.

My wife usually asks if the tip/service charge is included in the bill, if no then we leave a tip, if yes then we don't leave an extra tip. Whether, or how a included service charge is reaching a waiter is not my concern, it should be the waiter's concern.

Tipping up to you and better in the hand for future better service from the same service person. When word spreads you are not a cheap Charlie they all come running toward you!

What I don't like is that they add the 10% service charge on the total bill, after the 7% VAT has been added. This means they are making 10% more on the VAT, than is reported. I have noticed that some restaurants in the states include "for your convenience", a tip calculation formula of 10%, 15%, 18% and 20% printed on the bill, which also includes the tax. In the states, I ignore these and tip for the quality of service, only on the before tax total. 20% if good, 10% if not.

What I don't like is that they add the 10% service charge on the total bill, after the 7% VAT has been added. This means they are making 10% more on the VAT, than is reported. I have noticed that some restaurants in the states include "for your convenience", a tip calculation formula of 10%, 15%, 18% and 20% printed on the bill, which also includes the tax. In the states, I ignore these and tip for the quality of service, only on the before tax total. 20% if good, 10% if not.

you tip 10% for "not good service"???

I use a guideline based on the way my wife tips. She normally gives 40 baht, left on the table if there is no tip box. I modified it to account for each additional person at the table by 20 baht (ie 3 people=60 baht, 4 people 80 baht and so on). We leave mothing if the service is poor.

I've lived and worked in Thailand off and on for 18 years and lunch with many different classes of Thais (low income, middle income and high). The only ones I've ever seen to stiff a place were the ones with government jobs or backgrounds. The ones who were poor growing up and now rich, a;ways left a tip, if the service was at least adequate.

End of the day, it's your choice.

My Thai wife once berated me for tipping at a restaurant. Her opinion was they were already making money and if I want to give my money away I should give it to a disabled person sitting on the footpath who can't work.

Yes the service charge is calculated and divided equally between all staff including the non operation departments such as finance, HR etc. Every hotel I ever worked for in LOS posted the monthly service charge on the staff notice board and had a guaranteed minimum service charge every month. One of the major considerations when staff applied for a job in a hotel was how much was the service charge.

As it should be done, and is in reputable places, including most hotels that are part of international chains. However, it is not always so. My ex worked as junior secretary to the GM of a locally owned group of three hotels, so knew what was going on there. The hotels were often running at full occupancy…. often over booked in fact, which created problem for Front Office. Staff were lucky to get 5,000 baht a month in service charge. Half to two thirds of it was kept back by management, ostensibly used to cover various staff related expenses.

Needless to say, staff turnover was rather high. My ex just walked out on them one morning after just a few months, when she was hit on by the boss.

My highly educated Thai buddy's response regarding tipping was: "Tip Whatever", "Anything Goes" (here in Thailand).

I was once advised by my waiter at a high-end hotel that a well known high society group of diners only left 100 baht tip.

TIT!

If your referring to the 10% service charge then I don't tip , If my bill is say 1200b then there is 120b on top for service. By law establishments that turn over a certain amount per year have to include this in the bill , weather or not they give this to the staff is up to the owner. If however my bill has no service charge then I tip anything from 20 to 100b depending on the service and the establishment . When I am in a bar I tip the service girl direct ,normally 50 to 100b depending on how cold my beer is and her attitude towards me, and let me say as I am a creature of habit I go to the same bars and my beer is always cold and the girls are happy to see me so that tip must be ok in there opinion.

I have asked staff at a

number of restaurants

that have the service

charge included in

the bill if they get any

of it. I have yet to find

one that does split the

service charge

amongst the staff. It is

just another revenue

stream for the owners

. These restaurants

are usually tourist

traps along the beach

front or more upscale.

After finding this out I

avoid these places.

Between the tip not

going to the staff, the

service charge being

included not being

pointed out by the

serving staff, and the

paying the service

charge on the tax as well

as the food portion of the

bill are all galling as far

as I am concerned.

Rule of thumb with tips

is cash placed directly

in hand to the server

goes to the server,

cash left on the tray/bill

folder goes to the tip

box to be split although

at some places

all the money is put into

the tip pool box and split. smile.png

BTW Sorry I had to post this way to make room for the advertisement to the right.

Edited by Ulic

I seldom tip and if I do I give to the server directly so the server gets it.Usually cute women who gives as good as service as the restaurant can provide.

I have been told by servers if I place it in the folder or tray it goes to the owner, and the server sees none of it.

If it is a small family restaurant you insult them if you give them money for free. In the past I have had them give it back. they are proud they work for their living and do not need charity as they see it.

Of course in tourist traps now they are so bold as to ask for the tip. But that is not a good example of dining in Thailand. It is dining in a tourist trap plain and simple.

Tipping is totally unnecessary in Thailand.Thais do not do it. When in Rome be a Roman.

Tipping is not an Asian trait, don't do it. If you see a Thai doing it, they are showing off! [emoji39]

Seriously, as said, if it's already on there (smart rest/hotel) but you're impressed with the service, bung it in their hand. 10%ish.

Tipping is not an Asian trait, Where did you get that from I have been living and working in the majority of Asian countries and they all tip unless its a fast food place or carry out.