24 Thai Facts – The Superstitious, the Fun and the Wonderful

Inspire

24 Thai Facts – The Superstitious, the Fun and the Wonderful

post-245411-0-45014300-1465085939_thumb.

How well do you think you know Thailand? Inspire have been digging around and this is a very varied list of interesting facts on the Kingdom.

#1 don’t be combing your hair in front of a mirror at midnight, as Thai people believe this will result in seeing a ghost…Whooooah!!!!

#2 You would have thought getting your hair cut can be done on anyday, not for a Thai as Wednesday is a big no go for getting a snip

#3 when designing a home in Thailand be sure not to put your toilet directly in front of your front door – that’s very bad luck for Thais.

#4 When pregnant a Thai woman will put a safety pin on her dress in front of her belly, apparently it protects the child.

#5 If you have a twitchy right eye lid, Thais think this is good luck – don’t get it confused with your left eye, as a twitch there is bad luck.

#6 If your ears are big it doesn’t mean you are dumbo the elephant it means you have good fortune.

#7 If you find a bees nest somewhere around or in your house, don’t break it as it’s a symbol of working hard – and that’s good news for you..unless you get stung.

#8 If you are dreaming that your tooth will fall out, Thais believe it means someone around you will get sick or die.

#9 If you are dreaming a big snake is curled around your body this means you will soon have a lover – but if it bites you then expect a fight with your neighbour

#10 Thailand is the only Southeast Asian country that was never colonized by an European country. In fact, in the Thai language, the name of the country is Prathet Thai which means “land of the free.” Very fitting!

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/24-thai-facts-superstitious-fun-wonderful/

inspire-pattaya1.jpg
-- Inspire Pattaya 2016-06-05

#3 when designing a home in Thailand be sure not to put your toilet directy in front of your front door – that’s very bad luck for Thais.

It's also impractical and stupid which is why nobody ever, in the history of building houses, put a toilet in front of their front door. :blink: A bit of a non-point then this #3 :rolleyes:

."Fun Facts from Thailand – The Superstitious, the Fun and the Wonderful

#22 Thailand has a few big snakes. You can find the reticulated python in Thai jungles, the world’s largest snake. The biggest one found was over 33 feet long. It doesn’t stop there, though. The longest poisonous snake in the world, the king cobra? Yep. You can find those in Thailand, too."

Not quite the truth

http://www.extremescience.com/biggest-snake.htm

Edited by Bluespunk

Now that we're back in Oz we're about to buy a new car - my wife said we can't buy a blue car because it's apparently bad luck...

But, after looking at them we both agree that blue is the nicest colour - so now it's ok to get a blue car as long as it's mine, not hers...

I learned a long time ago to never question.

There have been a lot of these threads here over the years compiling local superstitions...

I remember these:

- don't get your haircut on a Wednesday

- don't wear a piece of new clothing for the first time on a Wednesday

for some reason.

The local interpretations of Feng Shui can have interesting results:

I once saw a "feng shui" sign in a white car that said, "this car is pink".

#3 when designing a home in Thailand be sure not to put your toilet directy in front of your front door thats very bad luck for Thais.

It's also impractical and stupid which is why nobody ever, in the history of building houses, put a toilet in front of their front door. blink.png A bit of a non-point then this #3 rolleyes.gif

Obviously from the very recent days of outdoor toilets.

duh.

Now that we're back in Oz we're about to buy a new car - my wife said we can't buy a blue car because it's apparently bad luck...

But, after looking at them we both agree that blue is the nicest colour - so now it's ok to get a blue car as long as it's mine, not hers...

I learned a long time ago to never question.

I had a daughter like that once. When she misbehaved my ex-wife said YOUR daughter but anything positive my ex-wife said HER daughter and when feeling generous, not very often, she was OURS !

I believe everyone has the right to believe in whatever they want. I respect that. What I don't believe is that we have to respect in what you believe. I respect in your right to believe in the tooth fairy. I do not respect that actual belief.

My missus told me not to get a haircut on a Wednesday. It's bad luck apparently. I asked her why? She didn't know but was adamant that I don't do it. i said that if she could tell me why it's unlucky based on facts and what's real - I wouldn't. She had no idea why it was bad luck so off I went.

These sort of beliefs can hinder progress. Blindly believing in something even though we know it can't possibly be true. Why do you often see people sweeping outside their homes? Because they're sweeping away bad luck. I'll just look both ways when I cross the road, etc. The practical way.

My missus now is a lot less spiritual. Things in life that we don't understand don't always have to be understood. Things we don't understand are not obliged to make sense. We better understand these things through science.

There are several Thai barbers who are open for business on Wed. They must not believe its bad luck nor do their customers

I see several shades of blue vehicles on the road, so again, the driver / owner must not believe that one either.

Until reecent years, Thai would sleep on mats, few had beds, so that may be a recent one. I think a lot of these ideas come from monks

and the come up with new fund raising ideas as the old ones are often repeated, possibly too often for the masses to give more.

I am reminded of hearing the term '' your talking gibberish'' when I hear most of these beliefs. I do no make a practice of walking under a ladder for safety concern, but some say its superstitious.

#23 If Thailand the inviter pays for the meal. In cases where it is unclear who the inviter was, the superior will usually pay. Remember, if you are going on a date with a Thai woman, don’t think going “Dutch” is an option. It isn’t, and you may well be seen as tight (kee-nee-ow) for expecting to split the bill. In this part of the world men pay the way on the dates, I’m afraid.

What if your dating a ladyboy? Who pays for the meal then?

#22 Thailand has a few big snakes. You can find the reticulated python in Thai jungles, the world’s largest snake. The biggest one found was over 33 feet long. It doesn’t stop there, though. The longest poisonous snake in the world, the king cobra? Yep. You can find those in Thailand, too."

Not quite the truth

I personally measured a Burmese Reticulated Python snake skin at 29 feet, 9 and 5/8 inches long when dry and laid out flat and smooth on the floor and measured accurately.

When the snake was measured before skinning the snake, it was over 30 feet....and had been well fed before meeting its death as the belly area of the snake was notably large.

Cheers

I believe everyone has the right to believe in whatever they want. I respect that. What I don't believe is that we have to respect in what you believe. I respect in your right to believe in the tooth fairy. I do not respect that actual belief.

My missus told me not to get a haircut on a Wednesday. It's bad luck apparently. I asked her why? She didn't know but was adamant that I don't do it. i said that if she could tell me why it's unlucky based on facts and what's real - I wouldn't. She had no idea why it was bad luck so off I went.

These sort of beliefs can hinder progress. Blindly believing in something even though we know it can't possibly be true. Why do you often see people sweeping outside their homes? Because they're sweeping away bad luck. I'll just look both ways when I cross the road, etc. The practical way.

My missus now is a lot less spiritual. Things in life that we don't understand don't always have to be understood. Things we don't understand are not obliged to make sense. We better understand these things through science.

Traditional day of executions. Thus, many barbershops closed in Thailand. Hmm, no connection with Wednesday that I am aware but it was Lachesis, one on the 3 Fates who cut your life's length in Greek mythology.

Edited by wwest5829

It's extremely unlucky for me to stop the motorbike in front of the Thai crematorium or Chinese graveyard at night after my wife asked me nicely but adamantly each time. I wasn't aware of the context in her request and did so anyway which resulted in quite a panic for her. In the future I have to try and remember to just go with it and she'll explain it later.

So many of these are incorrect....

Bangkok has more than 6.7 million people more like 8-8.5 million so not 1/10.

Tourists numbers are incorrect.

The worlds longest snake is a toss up between the python and the giant anaconda, but the biggest is the giant anaconda as it can weight upto 500lbs compared to a python at about 200-250lbs.

Must be nice to just surf the web for any information on a subject and then turn it into an article to get paid weather the article is correct or not.

Not quite the truth

I personally measured a Burmese Reticulated Python snake skin at 29 feet, 9 and 5/8 inches long when dry and laid out flat and smooth on the floor and measured accurately.

When the snake was measured before skinning the snake, it was over 30 feet....and had been well fed before meeting its death as the belly area of the snake was notably large.

Cheers

Never said they weren't big, just not quite true to say they are the biggest.

I remember they have a superstition about not accepting a sharp object as a gift, they'd always give even a 1 baht coin in return. I remember reading about that

Then I remember seeing this happen in the provinces years back, an old girl handed someone scissors that she'd asked to borrow and the other made a big deal out of giving her 1 baht. The other one seemed to be like 'don't be silly' but the woman insisted

Maybe it's an old fashioned one but always remembered that